[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 70 KB, 770x760, 1482557705246.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9989040 No.9989040 [Reply] [Original]

if you are intelligent enough, it should be obvious that there is no point in being depressed, have anxiety, low self esteem etc. you are literally throwing yourself under the bus.

it is merely your own brain trying to sabotage you. anyone intelligent enough should be able to see right through such primitive thought patterns (threat system).

by being depressed etc. you are making your own life more difficult and it would probably be getting in the way of your own success. thus a truly intelligent person would dedicate their brain power to external energies, rather than fighting themself.

is it this simple or is it more complex than that?

>> No.9989046

>>9989040
>it is merely your own brain trying to sabotage you

Ironic for this post to have a sentence only a brainlet could write.

>> No.9989047

>>9989040
Imagine being such a brainlet that you can't even convince yourself that life sucks and that you should kill yourself.

>> No.9989072

>>9989040
Some types of mental illness can improve your mental capabilities in some regards at the expense of others, but most mental illness inhibits your ability. Intelligence is definitely not uniform despite what some people (those who incessantly call others brainlets) might have to say about it, as capability for intelligence is a combination of your mind's specific functions alongside established patterns derived from learning and applied memory.
mental illness is characterized by its chronic nature and how it cannot be avoided despite possible knowledge of the patterns. For example if you have bipolar disorder, you will not be able to learn how to remove this part of your mind's function. something more is needed which will inevitably be possible alongside stronger understanding of the mind as a whole. There's also the genetic side of mental illness where it is inheritable to a rather high degree. If the specific disorder has a genetic basis, there is probably no way to correct it through thought alone.
I've had OCD symptoms since I was in elementary school alongside a family history of similar mental illness, and years after being diagnosed I haven't done away with the symptoms because you really can't do this from my anecdotal experience. I know most of the symptoms and how to possibly correct them, but there are no thought based means to correct them present besides something that would be a half solution to the specific symptom.

>> No.9989076

>>9989040
>implying that mental illness is a choice that you can turn off at will

>> No.9989082

>>9989076
i'm talking more about things like depression in otherwise mentally healthy individuals. not people with things such as schizophrenia or AD(H)D where the illness itself clouds their ability to ever be self aware about the fact that they have some sort illness

>> No.9989090
File: 41 KB, 400x480, wis_dump_stat.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9989040
Intelligence does not necessarily grant wisdom or self-discipline. You'd be amazed at how many homeless MENSA members there are. (Enough that there's actually a foundation for them here.)

Extreme intelligence (or at least, the ability to resolve IQ tests with extreme efficiency), is a brain abnormality. Obviously, a beneficial one, but an abnormality nonetheless. Brain abnormalities rarely occur in isolation, and among such possible abnormalities, there's a lot more negative possibilities than positive ones.

Thus, among the extremely intelligent, some other abnormality or eccentricity is the rule. Life isn't a point buy system, however, so you do get those rare universally gifted folks, who are good looking, charismatic, and intelligent - and often one gift can make up for a lack in other areas - though just as often, if not more, you have people who have none of those advantages.

>> No.9989096

>>9989072
I was rambling a lot here, basically the source of the mental illness creates the thoughts and once the pattern is established it becomes increasingly harder to break. If the source is identified as genetic, then it won't be possible to remove the source without more advanced technologies since it is ingrained in the self (it can only be suppressed through introduced chemicals or thoughts).
>>9989082
People with chronic mental illness know that they have the disorders if they are diagnosed or figure it out themselves. I knew that I had thoughts characteristic of OCD years before I was diagnosed and the diagnosis wasn't surprising since puberty made the symptoms worse and presented new ones I didn't experience before which conformed with the disorder. I initially rejected the diagnosis in part (as most people do) because of a lack of understanding of the whole disorder, not the symptoms specifically which I knew but didn't understand.

>> No.9989118

>>9989082
Knowing you're insane doesn't stop it from being so. Even if you're hallucinating, and know you're hallucinating, this realization does not necessarily make the hallucination go away.

Intellectual capacity does not negate chemical imbalances nor emotional trauma. Indeed, it can often make it worse, as your delusions can be that much more elaborate and thus more difficult for others to help you unravel - and you may be less apt to allow them to attempt to do so, knowing they are less intelligent than you.

I once had to deal with a double PhD holder, who was losing their mind in their old age, and created the most elaborate gang stalking delusion I'd ever seen. I didn't stand a chance of breaking them out of it before they finally died of a heart attack, aggravated by their own paranoid delusions.

>> No.9989586

>>9989040
Intelligent people can still feel pain, frustration, insecureties etc. Just on a different level and ways. I mean this board is angry and insecure all the time and everyone here is above average.

>> No.9989782

>>9989040
Godel, Telsa, Cantor

what brainlets

>> No.9989785

>>9989040
Genius and mental illness are mutually exclusive.
The meta is so unbalanced that you can take minor character flaws to max min your int and char without severely impairing yourself.
The autism and sociopath perks are really just not worth the effort.

>> No.9989795

Unless reality is fundamentally terrible, in which case smart people would inevitably suffer more while stupid people would be able to insulate themselves using crutches of delusion such as religiosity, spirituality, platitudinal "wisdom," career ambitions, notions of "success," etc.

>> No.9989805

>>9989118
True, once your mind starts to scatter, all that brain power is used to pull you in the wrong direction. The stronger the pull, the stronger the counterforce needs to be to overcome it.
If anything, intelligent, mentally ill people are worse off than less intelligent people.
The unabomber comes to mind, among many others

>> No.9992035

>>9989805
Can confirm. Bipolar af and feel the nanoseconds of time. Makes daily chores and homework feel like waste of valuable time. Already accepted the fact that i will die from insanity before i hit 50

>> No.9992049

>>9989040
I'm a math PhD student who has been in and out of therapy since childhood due to family alchoholism and violence.

the tl;Dr if below: yes op, but it takes effort.
Being cognizant of your internal struggles is different than being able to fight them. Maintaining emotional stability is similar to studying or working out. In order to maintain a consistent level of mental strain management, you have to recognize and reflect on negative thought patterns. This takes time to emotionally process. You have to make an effort to keep balanced and meditate on what your irrational fears are, mark them as irrational, and move on. If you are prone to a lot of flashbacks and things, it is harder to keep that balance. That said, some people are depressed over nothing and need to just get over it. Met a lot of rich people like that.

>> No.9992065

This is of course just anecdotal but everyone who I've known who had been professionally tested with an IQ of ~115-140, including myself, was completely riddled with mental illness and substance abuse issues

>> No.9992099
File: 11 KB, 215x246, IMG_20180902_191242_625.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9989795
>only brainlets search success

>> No.9992109

>>9989040
No but I think mental illness is inversely related to intelligence. I feel like I can actually concentrate and do my homework now that I don't have depression. My brain was so sluggish and fuzzy when I was sad all the time and could barely concentrate for half an hour at a time. Now I can do 4 hours of work a day and not feel tired.

>> No.9992116

OP should jump off from his weight down to his iq