[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 29 KB, 540x538, 2A837524-18FA-4E53-BE04-0FBDCB066EFC.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12272312 No.12272312 [Reply] [Original]

What differentiates clinical ADHD from laziness?

>> No.12272419

>>12272312
decreased brain volume

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4300006/

>> No.12272423

>>12272312
I'm not lazy, I'd just rather be doing everything but the thing I'm supposed to be doing.

>> No.12272450

>>12272312
>clinical ADHD
when 8-year-old children are too energetic to sit in a chair and be fed useless trivia for 6 hours every day.
>laziness
the very unexpected result of drugging kids for showing any amount of energy and instead encouraging them to be as timid as possible and to lack any form of personal initiative.

>> No.12272454

>>12272450
>ADHD is made up
Ah, yes. The whole "my ignorance makes me more knowledgible than scientists" outlook

>> No.12272826

>>12272454
>"my ignorance makes me more knowledgible than scientists"
except we're not talking of scientists but of psychiatrists, teachers, insurance and school policies.

ADHD first became part of the DSM-IIIR in 1987. It was constructed around the idea of a behavioral defect that involves students being unruly and having problems shifting or keeping their attention to school tasks. So yes, ADHD was invented by pathologizing certain behavioral traits of most likely bored, fidgety or emotionally unruly kids. One year later in 1988, more than 150,000 kids have already been diagnosed with ADHD. By now, 20 % of all boys have gotten an AD(H)D diagnosis with a very significant gender bias.
Five years later in the early '90s, the prescription of drugs like Ritalin or Adderall became the mainstream approach to treating ADHD. It only took the FDA half a year to authorize the distribution of these drugs, this in part due to certain liberations that happened in the later '80s. By that time, there were no studies done on the potentially negative long-term effects these medications could have. We now know that ADHD medications cause stunted growth, diminsh hunger, are addictive and increase overall inclination to drug use. They also seem to alter not only brain function but even brain tissue.
The medicamentation approach is still pushed by the pharmaceutical industries who often launch so called "awareness" programs that are supposed to convince the public of the reality of this disorder that allegedly would make their children fail at life.

In short, it's a made up diagnosis created to drug disobedient children and generating revenues in the range of billions each year.

>> No.12272853

I don't know.

>> No.12272868

They're related.

I know the problem I can't finish anything. I feel like I'm supposed to be a source of soul energy for aliens, they don't want me to feel my full potential.

They want me to mindlessly consume media and electronics. They love it when you get a big carbon foot print.

They fucking detest individual success and passion going unchecked.

>> No.12273131

>>12272312
I've convinced myself that I'm not capable of getting a good job no matter what so school is a pointless burden. Suicide is a sin so I do the bare minimum stay engaged in my commitments and appear to be living a life.

>> No.12273144

>>12272450
>paying attention means you are timid and lack energy and initiative
lol brainlet cope.

>> No.12273169

>>12272826
>Doctors aren't scientists
>ADHD hasn't been extensively researched by scientists

>> No.12273203

>>12273169
>Did not actually respond to my comment
>Still defends the pseudoscience called psychiatry

Studying ADHD relies on a make-belief approach where you don't look for something that could contradict your medical construction but only for what reaffirms your already formed stereotypes. Maybe something you wanna know too. Most of the studies that don't reaffirm the medical dogma never get published in the first place.
Brain scans that show a minuscule yet statistically relevant difference suddenly become proof of the unquestionable neurobiological basis of ADHD.

>> No.12273303

>>12272826
Also should be noted that previous generations had insane amounts intake Ritalin or adderall. Or go back to when coke a cola literally had coke in the beverage you realize the newer generations have a unfair disadvantage.

It would be like preforming terrible and feeling inquiet as a athlete but realize everyone else is doing steroids for breakfast but you.

>> No.12273626

>>12272826
Except it was recognized already during the early 1900s and has been treated with amphetamines and other stimulants since the 30s.