[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 2.14 MB, 480x272, 1600819390394.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
12271969 No.12271969 [Reply] [Original]

is there anything akin to politics or arguments in science? not the well known ones like economics or global warming, i mean disagreeing on the laws of the universe. anything like that around?

i have no science related pictures

>> No.12271978

Anything trying to be a grand unified theory gets politcal pretty fast as none can be tested with current tech.

>> No.12272428

There's plenty.
Einstein wouldn't accept the results of what is now known as quantum entanglement, saying somethingalong the lines of "are we to expect t o particles can have a 'spooky action at a distance'?" (The term, which was originally dismissive, is now how popsci documentaries call the phenomenon).
There are other ideas which are quite debatable about our interpretation of some results. The idea that the universe is expanding, or that there ought to be some 'dark matter' causing our calculations to differ from observed data are a couple questionable ideas in current physics.
T. I have no idea what I'm talking about.

>> No.12272483

Publishing in the prestigious journals is impossible without political connections and when prizes are awarded for work that was done by many people, the one who gets the money is usually chosen politically. Usually even getting into a position where you might generate a result deserving of being in a great journal means you already made those political connections. However, it's just the same political bullshit about who gets post docs and professorships.

When I was doing my PhD at Georgia Tech, in my first year the faculty was about 100% white men. There was a Brazilian and a couple of Chinese, one of which was a woman. The faulty that got hired during my four years there were two women, a Thai, two latins, and one white man. I don't think the statistics that had led to the ~100% white man faculty suddenly changed so that 2008-2011 all the best qualified applicants had superficial appearance statistics which suddenly diverged from the previous trend. The same thing that got those women hired is what controls who gets to publish in the great journals and who gets the good post docs.