[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 149 KB, 373x333, 0_A340BG5CGE8xB5f4.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
11078182 No.11078182 [Reply] [Original]

All of the math and cs stuff I have learned was through youtube videos, reading the book and stack overflow. All my professors either get pissed at me for asking them questions during office hours or just flat out suck at explaining and even sometimes understanding the concepts they are hired to teach. Is this normal for booger education?

>> No.11078195

>>11078182
Yes

>> No.11078307

>>11078195
Do you unironically actually have good professors or something cuz I could only count on one hand how many professors I had that were actually decent in teaching the material

>> No.11078312

>>11078307
Yeah, i learn stuff all the time, even from the ones that can barely speak English. I even go to a state school lmao

>> No.11078317

>>11078182
You’re paying to be disrespected by an enormous powerful institution enabled by both the state and legions of upper middle class striver morons.

>> No.11078331

>>11078182
The trick is to ask questions. People learn differently. Some learn by being explained what to do others learn by being explained what not to do. With room for error ofcourse. Most people learn by excitatory reflexes as you get older they get more attuned or tuned out.

One of my professors whom quit his career to teach always said he had a very smart friend whom went crazy from knowing too much. Ultimately you must create vacant spot for learning. Or else you’ll see yourself playing with acetylcholinase in forcing your brain cells. We first learn through vibration, sound, visual. Then we are told where to put these little symbols and maneuver an idea around. However when we go into a tabula rasa state (all you have learned via memory or repitition is forgotten) we realize we are indulging in our egos. There is nothing there but a ball of mass vibrating sensations. Working upto a headache.

The idea is there are no dumb questions. We can all learn from what not to do as most questions usually involve application. It’s presumptuous for a professor to get mad because they wouldn’t be applying the basic fundamentals of learning. Some people need sensationalization its serves its purpose in better memory preservation. But some are just numb from the repetitive cycles unless they keep their life in margin with new discoveries (incl history) applications and even applicative formats (styles). Means they are dedicated to what they do inside and outside the classroom. What I realize looking at Asian math that they don’t treat their numbers as definite but indefinite. Perhaps there is a psychology behind it.

>> No.11078350

>>11078331
It Latin America they teach numbers with Roman numeral applications. Another theory. They don’t really teach fundamentals in US education or theory. Just application for work. And lots of neglected presumptions. I guess it’s all introduction. You won’t need to apply it fully until your job entitles it. However then you realize you are familiar with some of the stuff. And good to know you at least know the basics. You won’t remember four full years of school completely. It’s not expected.

>> No.11078375

>>11078312
Perhaps sometimes they are a bit better. They know they have their own complex with the language barrier situation so they try to instruct in a way the audience can understand.

>> No.11078376

>>11078331
I ask questions like why and professors get so upset when I ask them to explain why we can do things. I remember back when I was learning calculus I asked why we can take limits and why they are related to to derivatives. My professor out of nowhere got really upset and hostile with me and said its very obvious and just hand waved it all away instead of actually taking out a piece of paper and writing out exactly why we can do these types of things. It was only later that I learned what a delta-epsilon proof was and how tedious they can be, but considering the professor had a masters in math even if it was from a state school should've meant he was able to explain the underlying reasoning of this stuff but never bothered and instead made me never want to go into any of my professors office hours ever again or even talk to them about things I get stuck on because of the initial hostility displayed when I first tried to go to his office hours, that being said the overall quality of professors I had vs the quality of teachers out there online like professor leonard, bobrob, 3blue1brown and major prep blow most of my professors out of the water, there are some that can do a decent job at explaining and give me the privilege of not having to waste my time going to their class when I could've just learned the material on my own. If we were comparing the quality of professors in general the online alternative was always much higher quality in my opinion.

>> No.11078385

>>11078375
CS is mainly roots actions and inputs? And way too many languages. You come out of class realizing how perverse the world really is.

>> No.11078406

>>11078375
Perhaps they understand the tax burden they have on the American public.

>> No.11078444

>>11078376
Sounds like your professor is trying to find a quantitative state to qualitative snottiness. Then tell you what it’s not so. It’s his lecture.

I’d say just automate the students and workforce. But then whatever freedom we’d have would have to be explicit. It doesn’t sound hard to do. Until the state of being becomes implicit. See how much has been accrued.

>> No.11078451

>>11078385
CS believe it or not is a subfield of math and deals with things like graph theory, combinatorics, algorithms and data structures primarily. The design and paradigm of a language are not as important as people make it out to be.

>> No.11078457

>>11078444
I mean its shit like this that makes students shy away from office hours in the first place and I get that people are not perfect but they have a job and are paid a very good salary from the university to do it properly it baffles me how lazy people are as they acquire a higher income bracket. If I was paid that much back then I would make damn well sure I had my shit together because back then I was working shitty retail jobs and most retail employees while not having the best skills have often a way better work ethic and white collar folks it seems.

>> No.11078463

>>11078444
I come up with very strange thoughts sometimes like can electric ARC mechanism melt steel beams? What’s the future of demolition.

>> No.11078518

>>11078457
Too much arithmatik. I says. Never had the time for schooling. My parents died when I was young. I still remember showing up knocking at my caretakers home halfway around the world with all my assets on two wheels. So college is a luxury. Whatever I’ve learned I’ve learned it perhaps the easier way. I just skimmed through notebooks and textbooks. Never the right tutelage. I was spoiled in a way unimaginable as a sole minority. The idea things have to happen for a reason. People are much more selfish than you can think or even imagine. So I have this always getting there, not yet there state of mind.

>> No.11078533

>>11078182

it's normal, your professor just reads off the textbook for 2 hours, then you have to figure out everything else on your own.

Professors think teaching you is beneath them and delegate everything to TA

>> No.11078550

>>11078518
Never had the perfect Santa fairy tale but always had the perfect how I hopped into daddy’s gonads tale. But then again it’s qualitative over quantitative state and then a bit more. Just like sunshine. You never truly count how many days it’s been sunny. Until someone asks of you a quantitative measure.

>> No.11078568

>>11078533
It’s called a professor. They are only professing something. You just got to find the one with the best sermon in the university. Perhaps you’ll be more deliberate in your apprehension of the course.

>> No.11078572

>>11078463
idk but jet fuel definitely can't

>> No.11078594

>>11078572
Or big numbers like what’s two trillion with compounded interests. Sounds like a brothel no? Osayma, been laid. Not to get into sexual harassment discourse. But how did a hi become a heist? Perhaps not until you met her man peoples.

>> No.11079880

bump