[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 51 KB, 650x454, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10886804 No.10886804 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any merit in OCD or is it pure delusion? If I was to force myself to not give in to the compulsions, would it all go away or would it make me severely depressed that I "gave up"? Have any highly intelligent people had OCD? Is OCD is a progressively degenerating disease?

>> No.10886838 [DELETED] 

>>10886804
Were you diagnosed with OCD by a doctor?
>Is there any merit in OCD or is it pure delusion?
If you leave your apartment an
>d after a couple steps outside it occurs to you that you might have left the stove on, that could be a legitimate thing to go back and check. It's totally possible to leave a stove on accidentally. But with OCD you would might take it too far and end up walking out of your apartment just to go back inside multiple times for a variety of different checks you feel the need to perform.
>If I was to force myself to not give in to the compulsions, would it all go away or would it make me severely depressed that I "gave up"?
I've never heard of anyone feeling depressed because they "gave up" on performing OCD compulsions. The normal reason someone with OCD would perform compulsions is because they feel a lack of closure, either in being uncertain an important task wasn't forgotten like in the stove example or else in a more abstract and irrational sense where they feel like they should touch the top of a park bench they're walking by.
Meaning it's more like scratching an immediate / short term anxiety itch than something you do because you don't want to feel "depressed."
>Have any highly intelligent people had OCD?
There have been highly intelligent people having just about every disease or psychiatric condition there is short of the ones that directly rule out being intelligent by definition like literal mental retardation.
>Is OCD is a progressively degenerating disease?
https://www.mentalhealth.com/home/dx/ocd.html
>15% have progressive deterioration in occupational and social functioning

>> No.10886841

>>10886804
Were you diagnosed with OCD by a doctor?
>Is there any merit in OCD or is it pure delusion?
If you leave your apartment and after a couple steps outside it occurs to you that you might have left the stove on, that could be a legitimate thing to go back and check. It's totally possible to leave a stove on accidentally. But with OCD you would might take it too far and end up walking out of your apartment just to go back inside multiple times for a variety of different checks you feel the need to perform.
>If I was to force myself to not give in to the compulsions, would it all go away or would it make me severely depressed that I "gave up"?
I've never heard of anyone feeling depressed because they "gave up" on performing OCD compulsions. The normal reason someone with OCD would perform compulsions is because they feel a lack of closure, either in being uncertain an important task wasn't forgotten like in the stove example or else in a more abstract and irrational sense where they feel like they should touch the top of a park bench they're walking by.
Meaning it's more like scratching an immediate / short term anxiety itch than something you do because you don't want to feel "depressed."
>Have any highly intelligent people had OCD?
There have been highly intelligent people having just about every disease or psychiatric condition there is short of the ones that directly rule out being intelligent by definition like literal mental retardation.
>Is OCD is a progressively degenerating disease?
https://www.mentalhealth.com/home/dx/ocd.html
>15% have progressive deterioration in occupational and social functioning

>> No.10886881

Kurt Gödel had OCD. One of his obsessions was with being poisoned. I think he would only eat food that his wife had cooked and tasted for him, so when she died, he just stopped eating and died.

>> No.10886888

Ocd isnt fun or helpful, if you want to be rigourous and careful then just learn/train.

>> No.10886904

>>10886881
I have that too. I cannot eat food which I didn't prepare myself or isn't prepackaged but not opened.