[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/sci/ - Science & Math

View post   

File: 117 KB, 1024x975, 1540376720014.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
10099120 No.10099120 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /sci/.
I'm bipolar and take a mix of mood stabilizers and anti-psychotics for that.
This makes me rather lethargic and tired most of the day.
What's the safest way not to feel tired and stay energetic throughout the day, without running under the risk of having a manic episode?

Mild psychostimulants (caffeine, other non-prescription medicine) seem to help. Is there anything else to look out for?

>> No.10099130

>>10099120
What objective evidence is there that a condition called "bipolar disorder" exists? Is there any known biological pathology? No. Is there any measurable physical abnormality? No. Is there underlying theory of what mechanisms cause this disorder? No. Is there any diagnostic tool more substantive than a questionnaire? No.

I'm not saying that you don't have a real neurological problem. What I'm saying is that, notion that "bipolar disorder" is a legitimate explanation of that problem is ridiculous. If your diagnosis cannot be empirically verified, it is not a diagnosis, but a label. You might as well say I'm a Pisces. Or I'm an INTP. These label have subjective and social meaning perhaps; but obvious are not rigorous enough to be condition science.

You were feeling unwell and saw a doctor. He told you that you problems stem from INTP disorder and prescribed cocaine. The cocaine made you feel happier.

Was this a legitimate medical practice? Is INTP disorder a real disease which is treated by cocaine. No, it's obviously absurd.

Just because you have problems doesn't mean that any random label given to those problems was a diagnosis. And just because you a drug makes you feel better doesn't mean that drug was a medication.

I'm not trying to talk down to you. I was on psychiatric drugs for years. Take it from someone who's been there. It's a scam. Pfizer is not the answer to your problems.

>> No.10099132

>>10099130
This. Search yourself and realize your parents' lack of emotional intelligence and proper caring upbringing led to them bandaiding you with drugs. Thats how little they cared. Only you can save you. Stop listening to others.

>> No.10099141
File: 62 KB, 728x546, proof_of_bipolar_for_postmodernists.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.10099150

>>10099132
Is Alzheimer's caused by improper upbringing, too?

Bipolar disorder clearly manifests itself with symptoms which can be pinned down to biological causes (ex: neurotransmitter imbalances, too many inhibitory/excitatory neurotransmitters/etc.). Such theories had been corroborated over and over by the fact that medication which affect these neurotransmitters treat the symptoms.

Upbringing is not that important. People had very shitty upbringing before industrial civilization - it was outright warfare. Yet they managed to cope.

>> No.10099161

>>10099150
>Yet they managed to cope.
but they didn't, they just died and no-one kept track.

The brain is super malleable, my granny owned like 10 birds and lived alone in an apartment with newpapers all over the walls (real crazy lady shit). She lived like that for a very long time and we used to visit sometimes, but we started visiting less and she started forgetting things and trying to do crazy things (she got diagnosed with Alzheimer's at this point). Now we moved her to a home and visit her all the time and surprise surprise, she remembers my name again and she's decently good. If feel bad, it's partially my fault that my granny had to go through that but I'm just a terrible person in general. I gotta work on that.

>> No.10099212

>>10099141
>its not my fault im retarded

your right its your shit blood line's fault.

>> No.10099220

ITT: /sci/ trolls a gut with mental problems.

OP -- this is not the place to find what you are looking for, as you are discovering. PROTIP: take it up with your medical professional.

>> No.10099269

>>10099120
ITT philosophical chakra niggers troll OP for having chemical imbalances and make fun of drugs that help people, albeit with side effects
i take anti psychotics too, make me hella tired - my advice is talk to ur professional

>> No.10099417

lol are we seriously at the point where sci is denying psychological problems? Bipolar generally just means you are more sensitive to stimulus. Obviously you can teach yourself to unlearn negative though patterns but you still tend to be irritated easily. I have a pretty mild version of it

>> No.10099442

>>10099150
>neurotransmitter imbalances
This has never been observed in a single patient and is disregarded in almost every scientific circle

>> No.10099446

>>10099141
When you are in a "manic state", clearly you think more. So the brain lights up. That's not evidence of a disease

>> No.10099451
File: 44 KB, 633x645, TRINITY___GOKU.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

George Soros' face is not very likeable,

>> No.10099578

>>10099120
Do you really need the antipsychotics? Compared to them mood stabilizers are much safer. You could get your psychiatrist to prescribe you a stimulating antidepressant in combo with your mood stabilizer or straight up ask for psychostims but that would make me manic even with mood stabilizers. Lithium is only thing that actually prevents both my mania and suicidal thoughts. But yeah on its own I was a little slower in terms of productivity and motivation.

>>10099130
It is pretty uncommon to get misdiagnosed with bipolar disorder just because your were depressed, usually it's the other way around. A lot of people who are mentally ill get off their meds and end running their lives, for ever seeking some alternative treatment. That's the reason why I'm a 23 year old undergrad on dialysis.

>>10099446
How is recurrent psychosis not evidence of a disease ? What is your definition of mania? (Obviously it doesn't have to involve full blown hallucinations but delusions are pretty much a requirement for mania).

>> No.10099594

>>10099446
You could reason the same way about diabetes, too.

>> No.10099744

>>10099150
>Bipolar disorder clearly manifests itself with symptoms which can be pinned down to biological causes (ex: neurotransmitter imbalances, too many inhibitory/excitatory neurotransmitters/etc.).

None of the physiological changes show more than a slight and less-than-impressive correlation. Sensitive and specific biomarkers have yet to be discovered.

>> No.10099751

>>10099417
>Obviously you can teach yourself to unlearn negative though patterns but you still tend to be irritated easily.

Cognitivism is dead. See the Libet experiment.

>> No.10099776

Been on antipsychotcs for a few weeks for psychotic symptoms, I already want to stop because that shit makes me so tired and hungry all the time. I have to try not to fall asleep in my classes. Coffee helps as you said. Cold showers too. There's not much to do besides get off them, really. There are probably more options for you with bipolar disorder.

>> No.10099806

>>10099120
Ideally it's best to listen to a doctor but the problem is some use their political power to abuse patients. It's a fucked up system.

>> No.10101595

>>10099578
>How is recurrent psychosis not evidence of a disease ? What is your definition of mania? (Obviously it doesn't have to involve full blown hallucinations but delusions are pretty much a requirement for mania).

You did misunderstood my point. Of course recurrent psychosis is evidence of some kind of pathology. The problem is that, there is absolutely no reason to think that pathology is something called "bipolar disorder". Bipolar disorder provides exactly zero scientific, empirical, or physiological insight into the etiology of the recurrent psychosis. It's like seeing a patient with stomach pain and diagnosing them with "stomach pain disorder". They do actually have stomach pain and it is likely caused by a real biological abnormality. However, obviously "stomach pain disorder" is an illegitimate diagnosis. Furthermore, there is absolutely no reason to conclude that everyone with recurrent psychosis has the same underlying pathology. There are likely thousands of different neurological aberrations which would cause such vague symptoms.

Psychiatric symptoms are real. Psychiatric disorders are not.

>> No.10101598

>>10099594
No you couldn't. Diabetes has clear empirical biomarkers. Do you really not see how that is different from broad and vague differences in brain activity?

If brain scans can be used to measure bipolar disorder, please show me a single patient who has been diagnosed with bipolar disorder by means of a brain scan.

>> No.10101601

>>10099417
Science is the practice of inferring general trends from empirical observations. Please tell a single aspect of your beliefs about bipolar disorder that is grounded in empirical measurement

>> No.10101603

>>10099269
>having chemical imbalances
If you believe in something called "chemical imbalances" you really don't belong in a scientific field

>> No.10101608

>>10099578
>A lot of people who are mentally ill get off their meds and end running their lives, for ever seeking some alternative treatment.
This is a meme. There is absolutely no evidence to support this.

>> No.10101609

>>10101603
that is not very inclusive of you