[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 20 KB, 304x450, houseofleaves.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9854414 No.9854414 [Reply] [Original]

Does /lit/ like this book?

>> No.9854418

2spoopy4me, why read a scary book when life is nice and cozy and good?

>> No.9854437

No, it's shit. Read The Haunting of Hill House or Mann's Buddenbrooks for decent haunted house stories.

>> No.9854469

>>9854414
I feel like the writing is meh, but the format is the main novelty.
But I'm into that kind of stuff.

I've been eyeing the Angell's Box by HP Lovecraft Historical Society. It's an amazingly detailed recreation of the documents used in Call of Cthulhu. Sadly, it's insanely expensive.

>> No.9854481

>>9854414
I'll be honest I tried to read this from an ebook version I pirated. I know that it loses some of the greatness if you don't read a physical copy but the one part of the story was incredibly boring. Why should I care about some guy rambling on about his life? So I don't hate the book but I don't like it either. Definitely a book that is overrated.

>> No.9854499

/lit/ doesn't like it, but I do.

>> No.9854507

>>9854481
Even the main story is abysmal. Danielewski is a little deeper than King in his plumbing of the esoteric, but that's not all that hard, and not what makes a good narrative--he might as well have written a tighter novella, or a 100 page nonfiction essay. Why do horror writers have lofty ambitions but not enough skill to support them?

I'd rather reread Frankenstein, written by the only truly significant female writer who wasn't Le Guin, Woolf, or Mary Anne Evans.