[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 103 KB, 392x574, Gravitys_rainbow_cover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9536792 No.9536792 [Reply] [Original]

Is it worth it to re-read this book? I've gone back through some sections of the book (like I re-read pretty much the entire 'Counterforce' section of the book and found that I enjoyed it a lot more on a re-read than I did originally), but I'm not sure if it'd be worth it to re-read the entire thing.

>> No.9536971

yes

>> No.9537041

>>9536792
It was a chore for me to read it the first time, mostly because, though I found its prose at times breath-taking or enlightening, I was annoyed throughout, mostly at the goofs and gags. But I was also not very well-read back then. I'll come back to it in a few years after going through the Greeks and heading toward modernism, Rilke namely, and hopefully I'll appreciate it for what it's worth.

>> No.9538527

>>9536792
It makes a lot more sense on a second read.

>> No.9538721

>>9536792
I would think so if you initially enjoyed it, despite its difficulty. I plan on re-reading it either this year or next year. I need at least a full year before I return to it myself as it took me around 2 - 3 months to finish it.

>>9537041
Have you read much of Pynchon? The comedy in GR is very consistent with his sense of humour in his other books - almost the postmodern literary equivalent of looney tunes.

>> No.9538937

Is Pynchon the best post modernism has to offer?