[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 163 KB, 1303x421, whitey.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9499687 No.9499687 [Reply] [Original]

ENOUGH DEAD WHITE GUYSSSSSSS

>> No.9499693

>>9499687
How bout living white men like joseph mcelroy

>> No.9499699

>>9499687
It's perfectly valid to diversify the scope of literature studied in courses. It's amazing how the literature board, of all places, is so often opposed to the study of. You know. More literature.

>> No.9499703

>>9499693
what is this fucking meme

>> No.9499711

>>9499687
I'm always confused by Borges. Do I get credit because he's Latin American? Or is he considered white because he is from Argentina?

>> No.9499721

>>9499687
I read plenty of non-whites - Plato, Aristotle, Euripedes, Ovid, Vergil, Catullus, Dante, Cervantes, and don't even get me started on the Russians and Irish

>> No.9499728 [DELETED] 

>>9499687
It's okay to read non-whites
Just don't waste your time reading non-males

>> No.9499747

>>9499703
He's not a meme you dip.

>> No.9499753

>>9499728
this.

>> No.9499755

>>9499699
I object to the position that different ideas come from different colors of skin. The canon is diverse. I am pretty in to merit. Which no, is not to say that non-white people have created no work of merit, just that there should be no special accommodation because people are not white. Nothing should be studied because it's "pretty good for a Uzbekistanian FtM". It should be studied because it's "pretty good".
I don't see this is controversial in any way.
>>9499711
In ten years, Borges will no longer be white.

>> No.9499764

>>9499728
at least a sensible opinion

>> No.9499773

>>9499721
Underrated.

>> No.9499791
File: 21 KB, 225x300, jack_white_in_a_dress.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9499755
It's cute how you think "the canon" is this monolithic and unchangeable structure, and not a very flimsy, almost non existant, consensus which exists mostly so academics can "break it" by proving this author is and/or that one isn't part of your precious fucking cannon. Harold Bloom is a sad fat memester who fell for the aestheticism spook, and americans, being as obsessed as they are with ranking, listing and quantifying things, fell for it, like a bunch of gullible morons, believing you will somehow be "cultured" if you manage to read a hundred fucking books (él oh él)

>> No.9499804

>>9499791
>It's cute how you think "the canon" is this monolithic and unchangeable structure,
I'm not reading any farther. That's not what I think at all. The hint here is "be studied". As in, studied in schools, a place you don't seem to have spent much time in.
You're nitpicking at nothing, and for whatever reason not even considering the point.

>> No.9499815

>>9499804
I don't even get. If you don't think the canon is monolithic, why are you against the inclusion of new works in said cannon?

>> No.9499816

>>9499764
In what way is that "sensible"? Leaves out Sappho, Dickinson, M. Shelley, Lady Murasaki, etc

>> No.9499822

>>9499815
>>9499755

>The canon is diverse. I am pretty in to merit. Which no, is not to say that non-white people have created no work of merit, just that there should be no special accommodation because people are not white.

Do you even read?

>> No.9499832

>>9499822
But no one is arguing Rupi Kaur should be included in the canon. At the same time, you can't deny the importance of James Baldwin or Credo Mutwa, and I doubt you can deny that the canon is made mostly of white europeans because these were the people ruling when we first came up with the notion of a "canon".

>> No.9499871

>>9499832

Its mostly made up of white men because they have been writing in Western languages at a high level of proficiency for the longest in the greatest numbers.

>> No.9499905

>>9499871
But now we have enough access and works by other groups of people who can be easily accessed and judged, and perhaps even included in the canon. There's no reason to keep anything out if it's accepted by enough people.

>> No.9499948

>>9499905

There's no barrier to entry but talent.

>> No.9500066

>>9499755
Different positions come from different experiences wing-wang. Marquez and Ellison are valuable additions to the canon because of the fresh perspectives they offer. That's the point of expanding the study of literature beyond the basic fucking Anglo-Canonical starter pack you get in shitty high schools and basic intro lit courses. It isn't that hard to understand unless you're so resistant to discussing race at all that you are willfully unwilling to understand why someone like Ellison was considered one of the most important writers of his time. If you think Invisible Man could have been written as powerfully by his white contemporaries you are being disingenuous.

>> No.9500069

>>9499728
>Willingly depriving yourself of Austen and Woolf because of ideology.

>> No.9500071

>>9499699
If non-whites write something as good or better, let them be embraced.

>> No.9500075

>>9499699
They're canonical because of their enourmous influence on world literature and culture. Updating the canon with bogs for the sake of diversity is stupid, especially if they aren't deserving.

>> No.9500077

>>9500071
>non-whites

Mhm. I can tell you're gonna be a valuable contributor to this discussion.

>> No.9500079

>>9499791
>thinks reading 100 books is an accomplishment

did your school abandon letter grades too?

>> No.9500082

>>9500075
Yeah but no one is doing that. Any course including blogs in coursework is not trying to somehow elevate them to the canon. They are using "new" media as an aide for classroom discussion you dingus. I just finished a BA in English at a tiny private liberal arts college. The closest we ever came to the boogeyman you're discussing was a private facebook group created for us to do group commentary and reflection on our course readings in a creative writing workshop course.

>> No.9500179

>>9500077
The thread started with "white males" so what do you want.

>> No.9500191

>>9500082
NOGS not blogs.

It was a typo.

>> No.9500226

>>9500191
Then that's an even fucking stupider thing to say. I'll repeat my original statement. Is part of the draw of literature not the fact that great writers awaken us to the aesthetic, moral, human, and experiential commonalities across the vast swath of human experience? Is great writing not great because it accomplishes this aeathetic realization in some interesting, unique, or unexpected way for the reader? Why then would you not be excited about new voices being discovered and celebrated? What exactly do you want from the study of literature? More of it exists than the Romantic poets and the traditional canonical works of the Anglo-European novelistic tradition and the culturally important works of Western philosophy? Why is this controversial? I love books. I love finding new ones that really blow my hair back. I take an especial pleasure in doing so when it is someone to whom I had yet to be introduced, because then I get to find new people to discuss a new work with and show it to all the people I like to talk to. If you take no joy in the discovery of new and different voices and perspectives in literature why do you study it? You do realize that all the "white" authors you prize so highly voraciously read across cultural and linguistic boundaries in the same way students of literature continue to do today, except now we have access to the entire world instead of only the couple dozen countries that could afford a commercial printing industry accompanied by a ready readership as was the case until very recently in the total timeline of literary studies.

>> No.9500274

>>9500226
Not that guy you're replying to but.. sorry you're wrong and dumb. Nogs have yet to create a work as intellectually and spiritually stimulating as Blood Meridian. I'm not even white but it seems to me that the Anglo is unmatched when it comes to literature, philosophy and introspection.
And if you really believe that James Joyce or Tolstoy wasted their time reading shit that wasn't by white people, you're out of your mind.

>> No.9500288

>>9500226
I'm not reading that shit.

>> No.9500297

>>9499832
who the fuck are james baldwin or credo mutwa?

>> No.9500317

>>9500288
Cool.

>>9500274
Yeah. Joyce was surely completely unversed in the fucking bible, all of which was written by semitic folks in the near east, with the exception of the decidedly swarthy Greeks who composed the Gospels.

>> No.9500318

>>9499832

>Credo Mutwa

I've never even heard of him/her/it, and I'm fairly well read.

>> No.9500322

>>9500317
Ha you're dumb, the translation and prose he relied on was compiled by English scholars

>> No.9500325
File: 242 KB, 1500x1000, Harold_Bloom.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9499687
Why, let's hear it from the man himself:
>I would think that, of all the books that are in this first list, once the reader is conversant with the Bible, Homer, Plato, the Athenian dramatists, and Virgil, the crucial work is the Koran...

>"I have included some Sanskrit works, scriptures and fundamental literary texts, because of their influence on the Western canon

And then Bloom begins:

>The Ancient Near East
>Gilgamesh
>Egyptian Book of the Dead
>Holy Bible (King James Version)
>The Apocrypha
>Sayings of the Fathers (Pirke Aboth)

>Ancient India (Sanskrit)
>Mahabharata
>Bhagavad-Gita
>Ramayana

>The Ancient Greeks
>Homer
> Iliad
> Odyssey
>Hesiod
> Works and Days
> Theogony
>Archilochos, Sappho

The Original Lesbian™ shows up as the 4th Greek writer for crying out loud. And yes, I recommend her too.

Fast forward to the 20th Century, I picked a random author, because picking from 'Africa' would be to easy:

>Rita Dove
> Selected Poems
Well, she's not white, she's not a man, and she's not dead either. Fuck Google in particular.

>> No.9500326

>>9500317
Christianity is basically white, sorry

>> No.9500328

>>9500325
>to easy
*too

>> No.9500335

>>9500322
Whew lad. I don't even know where to start with this one. The text itself is literally the fucking most important literary antecedent to all western literature. The prose of its translation is dependent upon the value of the original texts themselves. Harold Bloom, in his book Genius, credits not the translators but the anonymous scribe of the original Jewish text as the genius responsible for its power, and even proposes the novel theory that some of the most powerful writing of the Old Testament was in fact written by a woman. Not to mention that he also includes fucking MUHAMMAD in the book for the genius of the prose of the Quaran. And, for that matter, RALPH ELLISON. You know nothing. You do not love literature. No one who actually loves literature behaves this way, not even someone as conservative in their protection of the traditional canon as fucking Harold Bloom.

>> No.9500339

>>9500326
Tell that to St. Augustine bud.

>> No.9500345

>>9500325

A white male having opinions is viewed as prima facie evidence of bigotry in 2017. We're supposed to "shut up and let People of Colour have their say"

>> No.9500346

>>9500326
Tell that to Coptic Christians and Ethiopians.

>> No.9500347

>>9499711
>argentina
>white

>> No.9500353

>>9500345
False. No one is asking you to shut up except for when they are literally actively speaking. Otherwise known as basic manners, but I guess you don't afford that courtesy to non-whites huh?

>> No.9500357

>>9500353

>http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4154226/Shut-white-people-argues-DNC-chair-hopeful.html

It's pretty common actually. Our "voices" are "overrepresented" you see.

>> No.9500363

>>9500357
>thedailymail

Oh, Gee, they would never misrepresent something to fit their own reactionary narrative would they? It blows my fucking minds that white folks can have some sort of fucking persecution complex in this day and age. I say that as actual poor white trash from Appalachia, a region thag HAS actually been historically fucked forever.

>> No.9500376

>>9500363

There are people arguing that we should be disenfranchised, it's hard to see that as evidence of anything other than persecution. Maybe things aren't so bad right now, but where's the arrow pointing? Maybe you are a little out of touch with ethnic politics in 2017, since you are by your own admission a hick from the middle of nowhere.

>> No.9500382

Remember, Japanese men don't count, because they've actually achieved things of significance

>> No.9500387
File: 453 KB, 600x1000, 1494213925381.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9500353
>>9500363
Do I smell roast beef in this thread?

>> No.9500390

>>9500376
No, I just get my political news other places than fucking /pol/, which is the only way your view of reality could be so warped as to believe that there is any serious political movement to disenfranchise whites. Being from Appalachia and getting an education just kept me from buying into the myth that minorities are somehow my economic, cultural, or political enemies when it is in fact rich folks that have been fucking over everyone in Appalachia white, black, Indian or whatever for literally the entire history of the United States.

How can you read great works of literature and still be so gullible as to buy into that kind of ignorant shit? I mean, really, how? How can you be in love with literature and close yourself off to everything that doesn't fall into some historically arbitrary set of canonical works? Why would you not be excited to learn about new, exciting, powerful literature no matter where it came from? The only answer is pure prejudice or bias.

>> No.9500396

>>9500226
>that could afford a commercial printing industry
Lmao. Lack of printing technology didnt stop the greeks and romans writing notable literature.

Because they were more advanced as a civilisation than the third world is today.

>> No.9500398

>>9500390
The people who start these threads don't care about books, they're just triggered by ideological impurity.

>> No.9500402

>>9500396
I don't know if you are intentionally misreading my post or not, but I'm specifically arguing against the idea that having a commercial printing industry and a mass-literate population was the prerequisite for producing notable work. I'm talking about the generations of writers and scholars that came to define the canonical works as we understand them in a modern sense, which were almost exclusively European and American academics, which lead to the study of a very particular set of culturally significant texts within that tradition to the exclusion of anything that was not already a part of it.

>> No.9500415

>>9500402
You're portraying the narrative that the poor indentured black people couldn't read anything because white people hadn't given them printing technology yet.

It's just the typical oppression fallacy. There is nothing worth reading outside of the great civilisations except ignorance

>> No.9500419

>>9500415
I have no idea how that's what you got out of anything I posted. But. Whatever you say bud. With reading comprehension like yours, it's no wonder literature hasn't made you a better or more thoughtful person than the one you are.

>> No.9500441

>>9500419
What I'm implying is that the rest of the world, apart from much of Asia, lacks a tradition as profound as the Greco-Roman one. There are no contemporary civilisations as great as those ancient civilisations. Which is what you don't seem to get.

>> No.9500461

>>9500335
Great, so you have your favourite "swarthy" types in the western canon, according to none other than Bloom. What the fuck are you whining about, again? You seem to be on some sort of internet crusade.

>> No.9500463

>>9500441
I just do not understand how that is relevant to my argument, which is that because our entire literary heritage comes from a single tradition, it is not unreasonable to seek to introduce new perspectives into our dialogue about literature? To say that someone like Toni Morrison, Marquez, Richard Wright, Murakami, Achebe, Rushdie, or Nadine Gordimer are not exciting contemporary writers worthy of discussing because they dilute the purity of tradition is fucking ridiculous.

>> No.9500474

>>9500461
As someone who really values literature, I'm responding to what I perceive as ignorant and ill-informed stances on literature on a messageboard devoted to such discussion. I used Bloom as an example because he is known to habe conservative views on what constitues great literature, simply to illustrate that Bloom, despite being notoriously conservative in taste, does not dismiss work out of hand because it does not fit into some narrow, arbitrary stable of allowable great work, which, to me, is the only stance one can have if you truly love literature.

I don't have to be on a crusade to challenge what I think to be stances lacking basic critical thought on a board devoted to discussion.

>> No.9500479

>>9500390

>How can you read great works of literature and still be so gullible as to buy into that kind of ignorant shit? I mean, really, how? How can you be in love with literature and close yourself off to everything that doesn't fall into some historically arbitrary set of canonical works? Why would you not be excited to learn about new, exciting, powerful literature no matter where it came from? The only answer is pure prejudice or bias.

You don't know anything about me, my man. I've never once mentioned my choice of reading material ITT.

>> No.9500483

>>9499699
How much did George Soros pay you for that post?

>> No.9500485

Headline: "Students don't mind reading dead white guys"
/pol/ interpretation: WHY THE FUCK ARE STUDENTS SO AGAINST READING DEAD WHITE MEN? WE'RE A MINORITY IN CHINA GET REDPILLED

>> No.9500486

>>9499871
Its mostly made up of white men, because white men are superior to women and shitskins.

>> No.9500487

My highschool English teacher actually glossed over Aristotle as "some dead white guy" while we were doing rhetoric and simplified logos, ethos and pathos to "head", "heart" and "personally" for some twisted and unexplained reason

>> No.9500488

>>9500075
>They're canonical because of their enourmous influence on world literature and culture.

Idiot do you not know what a canon is

>> No.9500489

>>9500479
Given the context of this thread and the general tenor of this conversation, did I make an unreasonable assumption? I'd be glad however to have a reapproachment and learn more about your stance vis a vis the OP, which is white I'm really sort of trying to address with my posts here.

>> No.9500491
File: 155 KB, 440x626, 1350070525458.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9500463

I've read most of those writers and they're very mediocre. Especially Murakami, I mean holy shit you're really setting a low bar. I bet you don't even mean Ryu Murakami, who is objectively the least bad of the two. You clearly haven't read much outside of your own little middlebrow cannon.

Very Sad!

>> No.9500495

>>9500463
>achebe
I really hope you are joking

>> No.9500497

>>9500390
Wow you are so smart and clever because you read the new york times and not stupid alt right news am i right?
Please tell us more on how enlightened and morally superior you are.

>> No.9500500

>>9500491
K.

>> No.9500501

>>9500497
I've seen this kind of post before

>> No.9500502

>>9500485
Le evil /pol/ am I right?
Such an insightful observation

>> No.9500506

>>9500489

Yeah you did make an unreasonable assumption. I'm tired of all the political battles over literature. I only care about literary quality: if you write good stuff, I will read it. I don't care what colour you are. I will not, however, read someone who is praised solely for the sake of praising a minority. For one thing it's condescending to minorities, and on the other hand it lowers standards.

>> No.9500507

>>9500501
Wach out we got an oldfag over here.
Pls dont doxx me with your Ipad

>> No.9500508

>>9500502
Demonstrating /pol/'s excellent reading skills here

>> No.9500510

>>9500507
Cool story bro

>> No.9500513

>>9500495
Not really. Achebe isn't my favorite of that list, but I think he's objectively an interesting prose stylist at times and certainly important to talk about in the context of post-colonial literature as a source of new perspectives in our broader literature. I like Ben Okri better, but he's not exactly making waves in literature courses worldwide.

>>9500497
I don't read the New York Times.

>> No.9500514

>>9500508
Readings skills are for cucks

>> No.9500517

>>9500510
>cool story bro
What are you 14?

>> No.9500519

>>9500517
Haha good one, what are you 12?

>> No.9500524

>>9500513
Achebe is an ape who couldn't even understand heart of darkness correctly
post-colonial literature is political trash only enabled by its agnsty and impotent rage being popular among the current generations of ideologically minded slaves

>> No.9500525

>>9500513

>certainly important to talk about in the context of post-colonial literature as a source of new perspectives in our broader literature

See this is what I don't care about. Your perspective doesn't mean shit if you can't write well. I was forced to read Achebe in college and his story about yams somehow managed to paint Africans in a bad light even though Achebe himself was an African.

>> No.9500527

>>9500524
>agnsty

Lmao.

>> No.9500528

>>9500506
I just don't see the evidence for what you are talking about happening though. Plenty of bullshit book-of-the-month type shit gets inordinate praise all the time regardless of the color of the person on the book jacket. I don't assume we're talking about shitty literature. That does not mean we should not be excited by the introduction of new, more diverse voices into our conversations about literature. My stance this entire thread has been that, if someone really enjoys the study of literature, they aren't categorically dismissing any work that doesn't arbitraily fit into a pre-conceived canon of literature. Canonical literature is valuable for a reason, but to dismiss out of hand someone like Toni Morrison or Marquez or Octavio Paz is fucking ridiculous and reflects a poorly reasoned stance on literary value.

>> No.9500530

>>9500527
that's right faggot, I called that NIGGER achebe ANGSTY. What are you going to do about it, write a poem about how much you hate whitey?

>> No.9500537

>>9500525
I've said already that I think Achebe is an interesting prose stylist. Would I put him against Joyce? No. But I certainly think he would rank with Steinbeck, and no one here would bat an eye if that's who we were discussing. If you don't like Achebe, how about Ben Okri? The principle of the argument remains the same. Dismissing literature on the presupposition in cannot be good because the author is Nigerian is bullshit.

>> No.9500539

>>9500530
You really showed him.

>> No.9500540

>>9500537
Being Nigerian is a pretty good indicator of how good your writing is likely to be

>> No.9500550

>>9500524
This is exactly what I mean. You do not like Achebe, so you dismiss an entire, unbelievably diverse body of global literature based not on a case by case analysis of value, but on an ideologically inflexible indictment of a body of literature that spans the entire globe. That's not the behavior of someone who loves literature as an aesthetic body. It's the behavior of someone that enjoys the politics of reading certain kinds of literature which, coincidentally, is exactly what you're accusing other people of.

>> No.9500553

>>9500540
Cool.

>> No.9500562

>>9500550
You're right, I don't love literature as purely an aesthetic body, yet not as a political body either. Great literature transcends the political and the aesthetic, and "post colonial" literature is almost always political by definition

>> No.9500565

I wish I could say that writers who aren't white males have written anything of worth, but I simply can't.

I omit 'straight' because the gays occasionally shit out something good.

>> No.9500570

The sad thing about African culture is they experienced a great Renaissance in the 20th century with segregation lessened and educational opportunities opened to them and you got quite a nice handful of great African American writers and not to mention all the Jazz players, then they slowly died out and they did a 180, getting completely swallowed up in the wrong kid of race issues and broken communities.

>> No.9500571

>>9500562
The aesthetic is political. Aesthetics is not immune to ideology dude. Why do you think there are different movements even within canonical Western literature? Aesthetic sensibilities shift with culture. That's why a canon of literature exists. You keep the best, most succesful works of a given movement or body of literature and leave the rest behind. That's why we study literature. To find valuable works. If you dismiss bodies of literature out of hand, that is not reflective of a critical love and appreciation of literature for itself. It means that ideological considerations trump the actual texts themselves. I think that is an incredibly narrow-minded way to approach the study of literature.

>> No.9500582
File: 57 KB, 576x436, is this pleb serious.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9500571

>That's why we study literature. To find valuable works.

>> No.9500586

>>9500571
>That's why we study literature. To find valuable works.
I think you're a little confused here anon, I really don't give a fuck about whatever academic industry you're talking about. What makes literature great isn't aesthetic and I'm curious as to why you would defend shit like achebe from that viewpoint

>> No.9500587

>>9500582
We do not study literature in order to find, preserve, and discuss valuable (read: aesthetically, morally, culturally) works of literature?

>> No.9500592

It's amazing how tone deaf they are when the only poc they advocate studying are bourgeois Americans and Europeans. Can you imagine these people telling us to study native Chinese or Nigerian writers?

>> No.9500593
File: 6 KB, 241x209, Please stop, pleb.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9500587

>We do not study literature in order to find, preserve, and discuss valuable (read: aesthetically, morally, culturally) works of literature?
>find, preserve, and discuss

"No."

>> No.9500598

>>9500586
But. This thread is about the study of literature. My whole point and purpose in this discussion has been in response to the actual OP, i.e., that it is not unreasonable for students of literature to be interested in diversifying the types of works studied, and that those who dismiss all works that are not explicitly placed within the inherited canon conservatively defined as not worthy of study and without the possibility of being valuable texts are not being critical students of literature? Wtf are you talking about?

>> No.9500600

>>9499699
>diversify

Neo-Biologism sucks dude

>> No.9500601

>>9500593
Ok. Thanks for clearing that up.

>> No.9500602

>>9500598
Studying some African just because it's "diverse" doesn't provoke shit
It's a waste of time and bumps actually important works out of the curriculum because you're busy studying colonial racism

>> No.9500614

>>9500602
I guess it's a good thing that no one orders random books by "some African" from a surprise book store and then hands out whatever they get to the class for the sake of diversity. The community of literary scholars attempts to discover valuable texts that are worthy of further study and then... studies them further and encourages others to study those text which are decided to have something of value in them as texts.

Also the "pushing books off the curriculum" meme is total bullshit. A valuable text is a valuable text, and there are perfectly valid reasons for students and teachers to want to explore more than a single linear tradition of inherited texts. It seems to me that folks who really love books and literature don't simply dismiss bodies of literature out of hand because they aren't within one historical body of texts. Isn't half the joy of being a student of literature the discovery of new and exciting texts?

>> No.9500618

>>9500602
The whole problem I'm trying to point out is that you aren't thinking critically about literature as a field of study if you automatically assume that Book A by "Some African" has no value beyond whatever identity politics boogeyman you've arbitrarily associated it with. It could be a valuable text very worthy of study in its own right and you cannot possibly know that unless you take the time to engage with the text before you apply your political assumptions about it's validity as an object of study. That is how a critical student of literature would behave, so far as I can tell.

>> No.9500623

>>9500614
>>9500618
Jokes on you I've never set foot in a university :^)
I don't read this drivel because I don't care for the thoughts of the authors and there is always a more pressing object of study than some time wasting search for merit in recent diversity authors

>> No.9500629

>>9500623
That is the process by which ALL literature is studied is my point. To dismiss every writer outside the established canon as "recent diversity authors," is an incredibly reductive understanding of literature and seems totally opposed to the serious study of literature as a lifestyle practice and as a passionate pursuit of personal intellectual and spiritual enrichment.

I guess that's really the entirety of what I am trying to say. I simply do not believe you can hold that attitude and really love literature.

>> No.9500643

>>9500629
k. Call me in fifty years when the fat has been trimmed off. Only time will separate the cream from the crop and I'd rather not ingest any more swill like achebe than I have to. I feel a need to say that I wouldn't dismiss an African author out of hand just because he's African, but at the same time I'm not going to read his shit unless I've heard a reckoning of his worth that strikes my interest. Why should I read something when all I've heard of it is it's scathing critique of colonial attidutes? I couldn't care less about it and have no reason to think otherwise until given one, and I would prefer the reason isn't one of obligation to a class.

>> No.9500656

>>9499699
kynicsm is the natural end of philosophy
a philosophy that preached that the study of philosophy was a waste of time

>> No.9500672

>>9500519
You would like that wouldn't you?
Pedos like you make me sick

>> No.9500683

>>9500672
I want to fuck ur tite litle nymph clacker

>> No.9500728

Why do people project modern social constructions about race into a past where they didn't exist.
It's completely meaningless to discuss the race of an author before the 19C

>> No.9500744

>>9500728
that's very problematic and colonial of you, bigot

>> No.9500765

>>9499687

Could you please use the word "redpill" in your threads so it can trip true-lit's hide filter? Thanks.

>> No.9500782

>>9499699
It's absolutely mindblowing to me how willingly "intellectuals" accept the notion that diversity of thought comes from diversity of skin colour - and it doesn't cross their mind ONCE how deeply racist that is and how close they get to "all blacks love watermelon".

The second point is that absolutely no one would object if it was based on merit, but it's inevitably Shakespeare getting replaced with "native" literature like it's happening in Canada right now.
Have fun showing me a native Canadian author that comes close to Shakespeare.

>> No.9500784

>>9500782
ugh, do you realise how bigoted this is? how are they going to find a non-white shakespeare if they're opressed by academia? The only way to find them is to promote non-white authors over white men in order to appreciate new perspectives in the changing face of our society

>> No.9500821
File: 535 KB, 2048x1362, bane.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9500077
>>9499699
Why are you here?

>> No.9500828

Man, what is with people being this mad about such a petty subject.

>> No.9500834

>>9500828
Probably because it touches on really big problems like the miserable education of our children, the death of meritocracy especially in academia, the rise of identity politics, and more.
I'm surprised someone wouldn't be mad at this.

>> No.9500849

>>9500828
Because it's idiotic

>> No.9500923

Anti-whites are the most untermensch people you will ever see in your lifetime

>> No.9500953

>>9500923
fuck off nazi

>> No.9500976

>>9500782
>It's absolutely mindblowing to me how willingly "intellectuals" accept the notion that diversity of thought comes from diversity of skin colour
it's absolutely mindblowing how willingly bigots accept the notion that it doesn't

>> No.9500999

>>9500390
They don't read as much as they pretend. The want to be writers.

>> No.9501017

>>9500485
Imagine anyone saying anything different.

Imagine someone lamenting another "ethnic book" that's not a masterwork but is treated like onevery because the author is a certain race. Imagine the outrage.

They would give the same argument i am about to.

To discredit someone by their race, to take the scope of art and boil it down to the color of its creator is mental self abuse. A hammer may do less damage

>> No.9501023

>>9500491
I've read your opinion and it's very mediocre.

>> No.9501031

>>9500953

Races aren't equal, buddy. Saying that doesn't make a nazi. White guilt is retarded as hell

>> No.9501036

>>9500506
So, what you are saying is that any writer celebrated for his ethnicity is automatically shit, as though he or she has any control in media coverage and ethnic group think.

You miss the entire concept of putting yourself into another person's shoes.

>> No.9501046

>>9500530
Are you drunk? Probably drunk right?

>> No.9501048

>>9499687
Mods, ban this shitposter. This isn't literature.

sage

>> No.9501053

>>9500540
Translation: I'm lazy and unwilling to actually explore literature. I'll just read what I'm told and shit on everything as the superior patrician white man I am. Reading makes me an intellectual. Please praise my aesthetic.

>> No.9501069

>>9500976
>it's absolutely mindblowing how willingly bigots accept the notion that it doesn't
So you're saying.. we're not all the same? You're saying we should judge people based on their skin colour? ;^)

>> No.9501080

>>9501069
Wonderful point. You proved your politically incorrect argument and you can write it on your wall. What now though? Are you going to actually respond to his argument?

PS: just because your caricature of a liberal thinks everyone is exactly the same doesn't mean everyone does. Most people understand that beneath race and culture we are all human beings.

>> No.9501081

guys i just posted something i think you would like its called The Bump… Part I: The Cumming....

>> No.9501103

>>9501080
Some of us are more human.

>> No.9501111

>>9501103
Explain this. How can a human being more than human?

>> No.9501117

>>9501103
>>9501111
Are you one of these more than human people?

>> No.9501120

>>9501080
>Are you going to actually respond to his argument?
Oh I completely agree with his point - my point is just that you cannot have your cake and eat it, too. Which you admit - but which the average person crying for more diversity in writing won't admit in a lifetime. They definitely won't admit that it's a deeply racist notion by their own definition.

So as long as you admit that you're being racist and that you believe we can make judgments about what a person is thinking just by looking at their skin-colour, I'm happy to let you fuck up education all you want.

>> No.9501140

>>9501111
>>9501117

see >>9500642

>> No.9501154

>>9501120
>"because liberal college students are racist that means you are too, anonymous person."

Is this what I'm supposed to think?

As human beings we make judgements automatically, there's no can or cannot. It happens just as naturally as hunger and sexuality. The caution is to take one thing, race and to use your judgement there as your complete identifier for someone's life and work. I do NOT see a person's skin and believe I know what they are thinking. You wouldn't do it to any white person. The reason why you wouldn't is because you'd be afraid to be wrong. Judge all you want, speak without knowing as you want to, you are only fooling yourself.

Unless you are really as narrsicitic as you seem. Narcissists fool themselves one time when they begin to overpraise themselves.

It's strange that you somehow think black people are beneath you in the world of literature but you don't compare to them when they write. Wouldn't a subhuman be miles below even the most average white man?

Please cry more about the industry. This type of writing appeared in 2010, yes. Until 2010, no white person ever wrote a book for the purpose of money or respect. Surely.

>> No.9501162

>>9501140
Strange how someone who was so angry about being misunderstood and disrespected returning those behaviors do easily.

>> No.9501179

>>9501154
You're mixing up a couple of anons here, I never called anyone subhuman or anything like that, didn't talk about the industry either.

My entire point was that you cannot on the one hand claim that judging people by their skin colour is outrageous and racist while on the other hand judging people by their skin colour.

WHICH judgments you make is a completely different question.

By the way, you're the one fooling yourslef.
> I do NOT see a person's skin and believe I know what they are thinking
You do if you believe that a white person is not able to bring the same diversity in thought because you make a judgment about what they CANNOT be thinking. Unless your position is that we need nonwhites really just for the quota and not for what they have to say.

>> No.9501207

>>9501179
I'll say it again. I am not the liberal target that you think I am.

I think every single writer has the potential to write something profound. Please don't feel triggered by some kind of exceptionalism. I don't think we should let any author get participation prize.

I just think that your ability to say "African. That already means he can't write." While incessantly bitching that some repulsive lesbian multiracial journalist for a millennial newspaper says she doesn't want to read white people, or a liberal professor decides to entertain rather than teach.

All voices are important, not all are equal. The reason they are important is because they are all human. You can write a masterpeice and be any color while doing it. You can also ignorantly cast it off because you don't match the authors race. In the case of the black college girl who thinks Shakespeare doesn't speak to her, and you who think European culture automatically trumps any kind of written experience, a foolish and wasteful excersise is happening. You are wasting your own intelligence stroking your identity.

>> No.9501213

>>9501179
White people have written the majority of literature. That does not by any means determine that they are the only ones who can write it.

>> No.9501241

>>9501207
>I am not the liberal target that you think I am
I am arguing against a certain paradoxical position. If you don't hold that position, you don't need to argue with me. If you argue with me, I assume you hold that position. Simple.

>I just think that your ability to say "African. That already means he can't write."
As I said, you're confusing me with another anon. I never said that and wouldn't say that. I will say though that the "educational room" for literature is naturally very limited and when (like it is happening in Canada) you throw out Shakespeare, it would be hard to replace him adequately, let alone by native Canadians. You can argue that we need to hear their voice, too, and that is fair, but you'll have to face people who will argue that the quality will be lower.
That doesn't mean we can't replace Nick Hornby with Lao Tzu of course. Or even an African writer. Although it will usually be some kind of Rupi Kaur.

But again, none of that even has anything to do with my point and I don't particularly care about it. Just don't uphold a contradictory position: "We can deduce nothing from a person's skin colour but we need more black writers or else". Yes, blacks have their unique experiences and culture. So don't call people racist in the next breath when they say "blacks have a unique culture" and mean it in a derogatory sense.

>>9501213
I agree and I never said anything contradicting that. Please read before you feel like you have something important to say, you didn't grasp what I'm talking about.

>> No.9501273

>>9501241
You believe that anyone who disagrees with your logic subscribes to some ideology you don't like?

Education had been a joke long before indigenous writers came along. Do not blame them for the fact that even teachers try to speed through the Shakespeare lessons.

Your last point is redundant because I've already said I don't do that. Still though, you keep complaining about them while doing what they are doing. You get mad that minorities are saying "who's this white guy, he's got nothing to offer me." And then you are just doing the same with non white authors. "He will probably not be good."

As you say. Don't say blacks have a unique culture and then get mad when someone else says it. Don't cry when blacks dismiss whites for being white because you yourself dismiss blacks for being black. Literally the only reason you think it's fair for you to do so is because they are winning the identity politics debate in the public forum.

>> No.9501308

>>9501273
With enough people like this choosing the curriculum, literature isn't guaranteed to have a past, let alone a future.

>> No.9501311

>>9501273
>You believe that anyone who disagrees with your logic subscribes to some ideology you don't like?
No, that's literally what you do. I don't make any assumptions about you, I'm just arguing against a logical inconsistency. Meanwhile, you either confuse me with other anons in this thread or seem incapable of understanding how someone can play devil's adovcate for right-wing positions without themselves thinking that blacks have nothing to offer.

If you don't hold that paradoxical position, then stop responding to me. You insist on staying in an argument with me based on strawmen assumptions about me seeing blacks as inferior. I'm an individualist and don't like identity politics from either side. I just don't like when we call one side racist for it while we pretend the other side isn't.

>> No.9501326

>>9501308
People who don't respond to any of the argument? Or are you insulting me? I don't understand. Anyway I think your crying about education is also overblown.

A high school teacher who isn't respected is not going to explain to some hopeless kid the beauty of Shakespeare. It's far more than "those damn cultural Marxists trying to get rid of white people."

Teaching isn't hard. These teachers just babysit children, make sure they don't curse, and test them after they've spponfed them all the answers. Governments don't value education on their budgets, they leave it to the parents who get private schools.

A kid who is worth his own salt will read Shakespeare on his own. The kids that don't care shouldn't even look at it.

>> No.9501332

>>9501311
Suddenly you'really the Devils advocate. You're just joking, but not really! Give me a break.

>> No.9501338

>>9501326
>>9501273
>>9501207
>>9501179

Why do you double space after every sentence?

>> No.9501343

>>9501332
I don't think you understand what that term means. I wasn't joking about anything. I'm simply not the same guy as the one anon who said nonwhites are subhuman etc.
I pointed out a hypocritical position of the far-left, that doesn't mean I support the far-right.

>> No.9501350

>>9501338
I know it's really annoying and reddit but I learned that if you don't double space after a new thought, people are less likely to address it on here.

>> No.9501353

>>9501338
It's something that I do to separate my thoughts. Go ahead and make your jokes or criticize or whatever.
>>9501343
So, you don't lean in any particular direction?

>> No.9501355

>>9501350
Le reddit.

It's not a crime to make what you are writing easier to consume on the internet.

>> No.9501361

>>9501350
>>9501353

They're not separate thoughts.

You're either too stupid or lazy to take the time to format your post.

Do you see how retarded this looks?

These are not separate thoughts.

They can be put together to form things called paragraphs.

>> No.9501372

>>9501353
>So, you don't lean in any particular direction?

Not him, but why would that matter? If he responded "I'm moderate, but lean a little conservative" would you be much more quick to ignore his perspective, or assume it's motivated by racial animus, than if he said he was a liberal-leaning moderate? Either way, he's stated he's not the racist guy who is calling blacks subhumans.

>> No.9501377

>>9501353
>So, you don't lean in any particular direction?
On what? I believe the most capable black person is able to produce art just as great as the most capable white person. I believe there are many white authors in the curriculum who you could replace with nonwhite authors and make an "upgrade". I lean towards a meritocracy wherever possible so that puts me at odds with the left. I also lean towards logic wherever possible, that also puts me at odds with the left.

Pretty much your second post was agreeing with me on my "politically incorrect" point about their intellectual inconsistency about what's racist. I don't really know why you kept arguing after that except because you see me as an enemy for some reason.

>> No.9501378

>>9501361
It seems like you want to be a condescending cunt. That's fine. You can condescend all you like. It won't make you correct. Play Devils advocate with me and see why I separate MY THOIGHTS because I am not you, and when we are talking about many topics athat once it helps to keep them separate so we can easily identify and discuss them. Do you think that I do this in all of my writing. You'd be wrong if you did. It's something I do so I don't confuse you or myself. Of course someone who fashions themselves as unnaturally superior would bitch and moan about formatting on a forum where they use greentext, but that doesn't bother me. I just wanted to write this in a complete paragraph. I'm sort of hoping you say something to the tune of it being too long and refusing to read it. It would be perfect for me.

>> No.9501381

>>9501378
>Play Devils advocate with me

Could you tell me what you think this means? I'm very happy with the way you wrote this post by the way.

>> No.9501382

>>9501372
How can you claim to be indivualist if yoh lean one way. You just happen to think one side is stupid?

>>9501377
As I just said, it seems that you want to be an individualist but those damned liberals just get to you that much more.

>> No.9501384

>>9501381
I'm mocking you. I'm asking you to pretend that your true opinion is just Devils advocacy like you did before.

>> No.9501387

>>9501384

I have no idea what you're talking about. I just pointed outed out that the way you previously formatted yours posts was stupid. For this you called me a "devils advocate" which is baffling.

>> No.9501400

>>9501381
He already didn't understand it when I used the term.

>>9501382
>As I just said, it seems that you want to be an individualist but those damned liberals just get to you that much more
Which is exactly true because at the moment, it's the far-left who inject identity politics into education. Harvard just had a seperate graduation celebration for black people. Think about how insane that is. They create these group identities which you're told you should identify with based on something like your skin colour.
That doesn't mean I welcome it when the far-right tells me I must like xy because I'm white.

>> No.9501407

>>9501387
Let me elaborate. I'm mocking you. I'm asking you to pretend that you have no problem with the double spacing (since you've done it yourself.) I'm telling you that I don't really believe that you were playing Devils advocate. I think you just feel you are too intellectual to commit to your side completely

>> No.9501408

>>9501384
Dude can you learn to read and then make an attempt to understand the reply system on 4chan? He even said "Not him, but".
You keep thinking everyone who disagrees with you is the same person but you talked to several people over the course of this thread.

>> No.9501411

>>9501382
Individualism and collectivism are on a spectrum, and don't neatly map onto conservative/liberal, right/left. I don't see how your overall political leanings are reliably predictive of your attitude towards the role of the individual, unless you have some ideological assumptions with built-in answers. I've met individualist liberals and individualist conservatives, they don't dismiss people who disagree with them as "stupid".

>> No.9501414

>>9500513
>non-canonicity is sufficient reason for bestowal of canonicity
what did he mean by this?

>> No.9501416

>>9501408

He has to be pretending.

>> No.9501418

>>9501400
And therefore you've just proven you are not impartial, you see the liberals as the worse side, when you claim not to be picking sides.

You provide examples along with your supposed objectivity.

Quite frankly I think the liberals are dangerous, and the right wing destructive. I want something objective.

>> No.9501421

>>9501408
Le dude learn 2 read dude I'm leaving so le intelecutally superior!

>> No.9501422

>>9500821
Why are they here?If you were to name this period of lit it would titled similarly to a sixties sci fi film
>"IT CAME FROM REDDIT"

>> No.9501423

>>9501411
They do if you don't separate them. If you just happen to have matching examples that attack the one side, then that isn't individual.

>> No.9501425

>>9501411
Thanks for explaining my view. Dumbed down: "This black writer is really good, put him on the curriculum" and no one would have a problem; "we need more black writers on the curriculum because blacks have this special way of thinking and we need more of that but by the way you're racist if you make any generalised assumptions about blacks" is messed up.

>> No.9501426

>>9501422
Reddit again and again. I'm thinking of going of actually going there. They probably don't have this level of self righteousness

>> No.9501433

>>9501425
Do you believe that an African work cannot compare to the greatest literature of all time? Or an African American?

>> No.9501439

>>9501421
If you do not understand how the anonymity and the reply system here work, then yes, I am intellectually superior to you.

>>9501418
>both left and right use identity politics which I hate
>but only the left is currently implementing it in the educational system; if the right did it, I'd hate it just the same
"Hahaa, I got you, you are clearly a rightwinger!"
Come on man, try a little harder.

>> No.9501440

the western canon is comprised of over 2 millenia of literature spanning the rise and fall of entire civilizations and numerous unique cultures and languages. anyone who thinks it isn't "diverse" enough should kill themselves.

>> No.9501443

>>9501433
.. that is what you concluded from my post? Are you clinically retarded?

>> No.9501447

>>9501439
>I'm smarter than you part 2

>I conviently only care about this one area of identity politics, it's just happens to be those goddam liberals.

I'll try when you try.

>> No.9501452

>>9501443
More personal attacks. Are you mad at me or something? No I don't think I trolled you or whatever piss poor personal attack you have coming next.

>> No.9501457

>>9501452
Okay. Please read my post again, then read your post again, and then explain to me what one has to do with the other. I didn't mean it in the "I don't like your opinion" way, I really believe your intellect is impaired if that conclusion is what you deduce from my post.

>> No.9501459

>>9501447
>I conviently only care about this one area of identity politics, it's just happens to be those goddam liberals.
Give me an example of the far-right currently injecting their ideas into our educational system and I'll care about it just as much. Go ahead.

>> No.9501463

>>9501457
Well, it seems that you misunderstood my intentions for writing that. I'm not implying that you do. I'm legitimately asking you. See how I'm not personally attacking you. I'm not angry with you.

>> No.9501464

>>9501459
Binary sexual theory, for one.

>> No.9501476
File: 24 KB, 298x450, muhshiksas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

where do Jews fit on the white/non-white spectrum? I've consulted some coloreds and /pol/ and I've gotten conflicting answers.

>> No.9501477

>>9501463
Alright, then I will also very calmly explain that it can be rather infuriating if someone ignores your entire post and argument and only responds with "so do you hold these racist views?" especially after I made another lengthy post earlier in which I already answered the questions with "no".

>> No.9501479

>>9501459
>the right isn't successful so that means it doesn't count.

They want so many things but get aren't successful where you live

In Texas they fucking refuse to teach evolution. I hope you didn't wait long enough.

>> No.9501480
File: 12 KB, 305x225, 79007-tap-66845.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501017
This. Progressives need to realize that regular people are wising up to the blatant hypocrisy in their worldview and this is one of the reasons why Hillary lost. It is absurd to say on the one hand that race is social construct while simultaneously chiding people for white privilege. Likewise you cannot pretend to be continuing MLK's legacy of judging people "not by the color of their skin but by the content of their character" while also removing books from school curriculums because their authors are white males. Either race is a valid grounds for criticism (and if it is then this applies to all races not just whites) or it is not and progressives need to make up their minds.

>> No.9501485

>>9501477
Why don't you ever play Devils advocate for the other side then? Why can you see the right winger side but not the left side

>> No.9501492

>>9501464
You believe that binary sexual theory is a far-right theory that is currently being implemented into schools? And then you want to be taken seriously?

Really curious what you believe to be scientifically correct then: Intersex are no more of an outlier than men? It's just a spectrum and there is no purpose to having two sexes?

>> No.9501493

>>9501464
hahaha oh wow

>> No.9501499

>>9501480
That was me.

It will be a big fight. Nobody likes to admit they are wrong.

>> No.9501504

>>9501492
Woah, another conservative opinion. What a coincidence.

Liberals don't think everyone's simultaneously a girl and boy and not

>> No.9501511

>>9501476
Depends what caste, pure Jews are inbred Arabs so they're above Negros but below Asians. Some Jews adopt the genetic stock of their host and become near indistinguishable from a normal man. Some would say that this places them higher on the tree but I disagree, a Jew is a Jew and they all have that satanic spark in their blood. Culturally they are a unique element of themselves and should be treated as such.

>> No.9501515

>>9501479
>In Texas they fucking refuse to teach evolution
And while that doesn't have anything to do with far-right group identity, you can be sure I oppose that just the same.

>>9501485
??
We are talking about a specific issue. If you bring up a different issue, I will argue a different position, e.g. for evolution. I said several times that the best black men are just as capable as the best white men. That's not exactly a far-right position.

>>9501480
Agreed. Doesn't seem like they can see that point even if it's spelled out ten times in a row here though.

>> No.9501516

>>9501511
>he thinks jews are body snatches

>> No.9501521
File: 78 KB, 500x305, Problem?.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501476
According to they themselves they're white when it's convenient so they can say things like "as a white person I can say us white people really need to realize how oppressive we are!"

However when it's no longer convenient like when people accuse Israel of being oppressive they magically transform back into persecuted minorities who say things like "did you forget about the time 6 million Jews were brutally genocided by whites! White people have always hated the poor helpless Jews because they're all anti-semitic bigots!"

>> No.9501526

>>9501516
It's useful to think of them as genetic burglars, thieving valuable Aryan genes at night and assuming innocence by day

>> No.9501529

>>9501515
I wonder why the nigger hating kike hating genocide denying far right isn't successful at influencing education.

>> No.9501534

>>9501526
Conspiracy theories are hilarious.

>> No.9501538

>>9501534
Yes, good goyim. It's all just a zany conspiracy theory, don't mind us

>> No.9501546

>>9501538
They rule the world but they don't care about your little alt right movement. Why is that.

>> No.9501553

>>9501529
Why even take part in a debate if you don't have the tools necessary and don't have anything to say either. You just spout one rhetorical fallacy after the other.

>> No.9501561

>>9501553
You are acting like just because the lefties are popular they are the only ones influencing education.

>> No.9501563

>>9501546
oh boy, looks like they really did a number on you
the "alt-right" is a Jewish trick, it's a strawman to misdirect and control the simple minded who don't fall into conventional nets. Ever wondered why so many of their prominent figures are either Jewish or implicated with Jews?

>> No.9501570
File: 88 KB, 300x300, Merchant.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501546
Hillary cared enough to warn us all about Pepe the frog during her campaign.

>> No.9501583

>>9500077
What a dumb comment.

>> No.9501589

>>9501563
You mean there isn't a faction of racist anti semites that call themselves the alt right? It's fake like Santy claws?>>9501570
Hillary isn't the only one in the world who disagrees with the alt right. Notice how your alt right heroes don't ever say something too terrible.

>> No.9501593

>>9500353
>No one is asking you to shut up

You haven't been paying attention, it isn't universal or anything close, but it sure is happening.

>> No.9501598
File: 119 KB, 392x366, Guards.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501589
>Santy claws

>> No.9501603

>>9500066
Just fucking Christ. I just read chapter 1 of Invisible Man and I already hate white people. Wtf?

>> No.9501606

>>9501593
They are saying shut up. Your side is saying to exterminate them. You are mad cuz they are winning.

>> No.9501609

>>9501598
Start arguing any time.

>> No.9501628

>>9501606
>Some false flag larper on /pol/ posts a Hitler frog cartoon so I'm justified in telling normal people on my campus they are not allowed to talk

Look, maybe it's not about who's winning, maybe it's really about how stupid you act.

>> No.9501637

>>9501628
>pol Is satire but the holocaust didn't happen but should happen again.

>niggers are subhuman uniornically but satire lol

>> No.9501638

>>9501609
Ok how can the alt-right be "racist anti-semites" if they "don't ever say something too terrible?"

>> No.9501643

>>9501638
They just hint at it.

Why do they support milo and the rest?

>> No.9501644
File: 69 KB, 748x578, 88ccc91c6388db50-large.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501637
>when the person you're debating with doesn't say what you want them to say so you just say it for them

>> No.9501646

>>9501638
They just imply that "niggers are savages." They'll be condemned if they say it outloud.

>> No.9501655

>>9501643
So you're just assuming they are "racist anti-semites" based off "hints?"

Wow do they leave these hints just for super sleuths such as yourself?

>> No.9501659

>>9501644
I'm saying that you can't just call someone a false flag when they make you look bad.

>> No.9501666

>>9501643

They support Jews like Milo because they're anti-Semites? Oh okay.

>> No.9501670

>>9501655
They just seem to agree with everything the alt right does, and they never bring up the holocaust or actually make a statement.

>> No.9501674

>>9501666
You support jew puppets like trump because you are anti semites.

>> No.9501680

>>9501659
Once again, you're talking to more than one person (maybe because your positions are so stupid that several people disagree with you, but no need to take a hint there).

I'm the guy who told you to stop taking part in a debate if you just tumble from one rhetorical fallacy to the next. Every single post from you so far has been a complete non sequitur. It's just tiring. You're that pidgeon shitting on the chess board acting like it won by knocking the figures over.

If you manage to address the points people actually make in their posts, I'll enter the discussion again.

>> No.9501682
File: 146 KB, 800x999, 1484320724316.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501646
No but that is the progressive fantasy. If that were true, how do you explain black Trump voters?

>>9501659
Why are you treating /pol/ shitposts as though they have any weight at all?

>>9501670
What is this obsession with the holocaust? Someone is now an anti-semite if they don't bring up the holocaust all the time?

>> No.9501688

>>9501680
More than a couple people disagree so that means automatically that you are wrong and they aren't.

Fuck. Off. What dumb shit.

Why not just get the fuck out if it bothers you so much. You seem to enter whenever you want.

>> No.9501701

>>9501682
Nothing on pol is actual thoughts. It's all lies?

>> No.9501708
File: 19 KB, 293x182, samhydedonatingtoanglin.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501546
They co-opted. Milo's Jewish. Everyone is either Jewish, works for Jews or is "pro-Israel". The only ones that come to mind that are openly anti-Jewish are Sam Hyde and RamzPaul.

>> No.9501713

>>9501701
Even on /pol/ civic nationalists are the majority. And using one guy on /b/ saying "the n word" as an excuse to implement real-world changes in our educational system is completely retarded. It's not less retarded just because it's a different board on the same anime forum.

>> No.9501728

>>9501701
Do you also worry about what gets written in bathroom graffiti? That is essentially the same thing as /pol/.

>> No.9501736

>>9501713
That's the alt right. Reddit and 4chan.
There are constant civic nationalist bashing threads.

>> No.9501742

>>9501728
The graffiti guys president won. Don't discount him that much.

>> No.9501747

>Maya Angelou, "Alone"

Lying, thinking

Last night
How to find my soul a home
Where water is not thirsty
And bread loaf is not stone
I came up with one thing
And I don't believe I'm wrong
That nobody,
But nobody
Can make it out here alone.

Alone, all alone
Nobody, but nobody
Can make it out here alone...

>Rainier Marie Rilke, "The First Elegy"

Yes—the springtimes needed you. Often a star
was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you
out of the distant past, or as you walked
under an open window, a violin
yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission.
But could you accomplish it? Weren't you always
distracted by expectation, as if every event
announced a beloved?...

Yeah, we should totally read less dead "white" guys.

>> No.9501756

>>9501736
Because it's a joke, liberal Nationalism is about markets more than it is about people

>> No.9501757
File: 465 KB, 933x975, 1486354343512.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501742
All I'm saying is that there is large chasm between what people will post anonymously on /pol/ and what they will actually act on in their day to day lives.

>> No.9501764

>>9501757
Just because they are fucking cowards doesn't mean they won't support things that help them get what they want

>> No.9501769

>>9501747
Not to mention that one of those is just a translation which cannot capture much of the original whereas the other doesn't have any technical skill to learn from even in the original.

>> No.9501771

>>9501756
So what nationalist are you?

>> No.9501778
File: 130 KB, 506x543, Oh you.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501764
Yes anon human beings tend to support things that help them get what they want.

>> No.9501780

>>9501713
I'm a moral conservative (with some unpopular opinions) and thats why I dont go near /pol/ anymore. I can't condone that kind of crap

>> No.9501781

>>9501778
So don't tell me that they aren't how they act on pol. They'd probably support a genocide.

>> No.9501788

>>9501769
Exactly. Until I learn German I know I won't be able to appreciate his work.

>> No.9501790
File: 456 KB, 750x1067, 1485405927203.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501781
While there are definitely some hardcore /pol/acks who would support a genocide, the average Trump voter would not.

It's almost like things are a little more nuanced than everyone who disagrees with you being LITERALLY HITLER.

>> No.9501793

>>9501788
I guess with that one example you proved whites are better than blacks.

>> No.9501797

>>9501790
Nice assumptions there cunt.

I don't think trump is about to start a genocide. I never said that either. I said pol would be willing to support one. Pol isn't trump supporters. It's terrible people.

>> No.9501801

>>9501780
I mean, I think you can actually make a case for civic vs. ethnic but yeah, the place has changed a lot. It's a mix of false flagging, seeing co-opters behind every corner, fighting fire with fire, reacting to hate with even more hate, and a lot of new people trying to fit in.

But then whenever I see smug leftists on /lit/ feel superior, I can't help but defend /pol/ because the average leftie here is even worse at arguing their case.

>> No.9501802
File: 2.00 MB, 540x304, 1470566585437.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501797
/pol/ is not one person newfriend

>> No.9501806

>>9501801
Again, JUST HAPPENS to lean right.

>> No.9501808

>>9501802
I never said they were either. I said THEY. WOULD. BE. WILLING. THEY WOULD BE WILLING. THEY.

>> No.9501820

>>9501793
No I didn't, but think of it this way. If we're forced to read Maya Angelou over Rilke to diversify our reading in a university class, for example, clearly such a choice would be harmful to the study of poetry. Also, if you've read any non-white literature promoted in this way, you sometimes find that you're reading about a personal anecdote rather than a story with universal resonance, which is not to say that it's a matter of skin color, just that this kind of thinking tends to exalt mediocre writing.

>> No.9501822
File: 81 KB, 500x500, frog girl.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501808
reign in the tism please and you are acting as if all the users of a board on an anonymous anime forum subscribe to an identical ideology

do you not see how silly you are being?

>> No.9501826

>>9501788
Der Panther

Sein Blick ist vom Vorübergehn der Stäbe
so müd geworden, dass er nichts mehr hält.
Ihm ist, als ob es tausend Stäbe gäbe
und hinter tausend Stäben keine Welt.

Der weiche Gang geschmeidig starker Schritte,
der sich im allerkleinsten Kreise dreht,
ist wie ein Tanz von Kraft um eine Mitte,
in der betäubt ein großer Wille steht.

Nur manchmal schiebt der Vorhang der Pupille
sich lautlos auf -. Dann geht ein Bild hinein,
geht durch der Glieder angespannte Stille -
und hört im Herzen auf zu sein.

This is the kind of poetry where you can spend ages just teaching the form or how form and content are linked; with all the new poems all you can do is jumping at how the content affects our feelies.

>> No.9501832

>>9501820
Got an example of that happening in a university?

>> No.9501840

>>9501826
It's almost like you can learn about whatever you want in a university. >>9501822
Thats all that's happened in this thread. Liberals all want to destroy literature according to the group think.

>> No.9501853
File: 1004 KB, 500x252, Mugi pwning Mio.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501840
The difference is that universities are actually in real life changing their curriculums to remove white males whereas THE DAY OF THE ROPE will forever be a meme on an anime forum.

>> No.9501859

>>9501840
>It's almost like you can learn about whatever you want in a university

no you learn whatever the professors put in the curriculum

>> No.9501862

>>9501853
I agree, it is deplorable. No argument there, I hope they are screwed.

>> No.9501869
File: 109 KB, 1280x720, [(́◉◞౪◟◉‵)] Mobile Suit Gundam Thunderbolt - 05 / 機動戦士ガンダム サンダーボルト 第5話 [720p].mkv_snapshot_06.19_[2017.03.25_09.12.46].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>implying value exists
I thought we moved past these dark ages /lit/tle ones. Surely everyone is just pretending to take one side or another. Sure, add in 50 South African slam poetry collections, they have no more or less value than any of the other existing works. That is to say none.

>> No.9501873
File: 12 KB, 411x283, Fig. 6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9501869

>> No.9501876

>>9501859
Every college in america is liberal?

>> No.9501881

>>9501876
what does that have to do with professors, not students, having control over what gets taught?

if you go to a conservative college you dont get to learn about liberal ideas and vice-versa.

either way it's not "whatever you want."

>> No.9501892

>>9501881
They control what they learn. They pick the school and the degree and they choose to pay for it.

>> No.9501906

>>9501892
sorry bub but they only get to select from options that the school provides them with.

think things through before posting again.

>> No.9501911

>>9500382
kekd

>> No.9501914

>>9501906
Fuck you. Professors have always done this, now you blame them entirely.

>> No.9501922

>>9501914
im not blaming anyone just pointing out that this >>9501840 was a stupid post to make

also a parting word of advice: profanity is discouraged on the literature board

>> No.9501926

>>9499687
These people are actually very similar to race realists. They believe that art produced by people of race will be different, or will have it's own uniqueness just because they're a different race. This is almost identitical to the race realist claim that one's culture is tied to one's race.

>> No.9501933

>>9501922
Noted you cunt.

>> No.9501940

>>9501926
>the race realist claim that one's culture is tied to one's race
The racial realist claim is that race and culture aren't necessarily unrelated, not that they necessarily are. That's a purely racialist idea.

>> No.9501961

>>9501940
From listening to some of these race realists, I think my description of it's more accurate. But either way it's still similar.

>> No.9502144

>>9500066

Chapter 1: Ridiculous levels of white-on-black degradation, exploitation, and petty violence.

Chapter 2: Nigger incest.

wtf is the rest of the book going to be??

>> No.9502181

>>9499905
>and perhaps even included in the canon
go to op image and read the definition of western canon as defined by google. the canon are works that have influenced, shaped, and affected western culture and society. many of these works are pre 20th century because it is hard to determine what affects a contemporary work can have on culture/society. while there is nothing wrong with indulging yourself with works from other areas, they cannot and should not be included in western canon. mutwa had literally no affect on western culture. why include him in the canon? is he important to read? of course he is but let's give credit where credit is due! the canon is not the best of the best but simply works that are ridiculously tied with western culture.

>> No.9502331

>>9501480
>It is absurd to say on the one hand that race is social construct while simultaneously chiding people for white privilege
It is absolutely logically coherent and I'm surprised that you don't understand why.

>> No.9502350

>>9502331
>race is arbitrarily defined
>this race of people has inherent privileges!!

>> No.9502363

>>9502350
You understand white privilege is a social phenomenon, yes? If you mean "inherent" in a biological sense then that is a clear misrepresentation.

>> No.9502370

>>9502363
the point is that if race has no fixed definition then its absurd to use it as a basis to criticize people

>> No.9502381

>>9502370
It has an effective social definition, there is no arguing this.

>> No.9502391

>>9502381
To elaborate on that, yes, that definition may well have been arbitrary, but it doesn't stop us from being able to easily identify a "white" or "black" person based on which the characteristics that were arbitrarily selected. If we can distinguish between people based on the definition, then we can discriminate. So, white privilege can follow.

>> No.9502392

>>9499687
>implying they wouldnt be bitching about cultural appropriation if their was black guy lit professors jerked off to as much as Dostoevsky or Proust

>> No.9502400

>>9502381
no it doesnt because "whiteness" has no fixed meaning. according to some people italians are not white and according to other people puerto ricans are white. according to the us govt "white hispanic" is a thing which i dont even know what that means

it is ridiculous to moan about white privilege when the men in pic related are legally white.

>> No.9502405
File: 83 KB, 962x411, White Male.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9502400
*pic related

>> No.9502409

>>9502391
>>9502400

>> No.9502423
File: 1.44 MB, 1280x720, 1494617353276.webm [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9499687
Every culture is not equal.

Can you imagine suggesting to the ancient Greeks they should diversify their education by including barbarian works? Their reaction would be completely reasonable and more so natural.

Society is spooked, ideology has destroyed people's ability to think critically.

>> No.9502435

>>9502400
So people can't fully agree on a definition of whiteness, there are some gray areas, therefore we white privilege doesn't exist? Try showing more work. Are you either of these anons
>>9501480
>>9502350
or are you
>>9502370
Because frankly I'm not sure what that last one was trying to say. I don't believe fixed definition = arbitrary definition, so it could be that you are arguing something different from the original point I was trying to counter.

>> No.9502450

>>9502435
I meant I don't believe UNfixed definition = arbitrary definition (although I don't believe the opposite either, they are entirely different concepts)

>> No.9502473

>>9502405
they're all spics you racist

>> No.9502474

>>9502435
my argument is that saying that white people are inherently privileged when no one can agree on who white people are is incoherent

are you trying to say that raul ambrosio jimenez jr and jose fernando busto-diaz are beneficiaries of white privilege? if white privilege exists then these men must benefit from it because the government says theyre white

if progressives were honest they would have called it european privilege or something but of course that would be too on the nose and might cause the goyim to start unifying since most euros dont really identify as "white" but rather as german or british or whatever and to explicitly attack those ethnicities might cause the effects of the bluepill to wear off

>> No.9502492

>>9502474
So basically, you don't like that the scope of white people is so large, as if legal considerations have anything to do with the point I was trying to make.. I figured I was wasting my time with this, thank you for confirming it for me.

>> No.9502533

>>9502492
the point is that there is no fixed scope of white people because it changes depending on who you ask so when academics act like "white people" is this technical term that we can use to make sweeping generalization about people theyre delusional.

race is more nuanced than "black" and "white" but nuance doesn't work well for progressive sloganeering so it's just another casualty in their endless revolution.

peace.

>> No.9502582

>>9500782
Natural selection and niggers will kill them.

>> No.9502603

>>9500274
>Anglo is unmatched when it comes to literature, philosophy and introspection.
Anglo philosophy is shit tier, though.

>> No.9502612

>>9500528
Please don't list Paz and Marquez along with that hateful, race-baiting, same-book-every-time, peaked-with-her-second-novel overrated hag.

>> No.9502615

>>9500474
Lit isn't about literature as it is about memeing the right opinions about the right books.

>> No.9502649

>>9501771
This ethnic/civic dicotomy is largely shat upon in academia. Nationalism encompasses aspects of both, because if it is a living organism then it obviously will cont. ain conflicting aspects. I think blud und boden nationalism is bs, but a nation is bonded by a shared culture and historical narrative. Civic nationalism as it is propogated only posits a people be united by its place within liberal capitalism "land of the free/American dream" bs

>> No.9502671

>>9500390
>>9500335
>>9500226
>>9500066
>>9499791
Is this the same poster? Kill yourself.

>> No.9502765
File: 32 KB, 640x559, IMG_6152.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9500274
>the Anglo is unmatched when it comes to literature, philosophy and introspection

>> No.9502813

'Let Me Be Your Mirror' the thread.

>> No.9502880
File: 804 KB, 883x497, 1489212417417.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why does being a certain ethnicity mean you have an "interesting" perspective or a "unique" experience? I would rather read books by Fridtjof Nansen or Edmund Hillary than some random black lady from Michigan.

And why is the newness of a perspective seen as something valuable in and of itself? It's entirely possible for a new perspective to be a stupid, limited one. David Icke has an interesting perspective but that doesn't mean it's worth anything.

>> No.9503062

>>9500274
>Anglo "literature"

>> No.9503141

non-whites BTFO

>> No.9503245

>>9499687
lol i made this thread why is everyone getting so mad... thanks for taking the thread bait... just read authors that have valuable material lol