[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 22 KB, 255x364, slavoj-zizek.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
9398881 No.9398881 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/, I keep seeing Zizek posted around here. I know a lot of his ideas are derived from Hegel and Lacan. I have a solid understanding of Hegel, but have no clue about psychoanalyzis. Do I need to read Lacan extensively (and Freud) to understand Zizek, or is he good at explaining psychoanalytical concepts?

Which book should I begin with?

>> No.9398887

>>9398881
Do yourself a favor and just ignore Zizek

>> No.9398916

Lacan: The Absolute Master is where you should start.

>> No.9398919
File: 46 KB, 587x960, 1489881045603.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>9398887
>misleading the newfags

>> No.9398979

You could really just read some of his more accessible political books since they're very fun and quick reads almost no matter your level of knowledge.You'll get some ideas about him. Violence, living in the end times are some good examples, but he has a lot of them.

>but have no clue about psychoanalyzis
How literally, by the way? It'd definitely help if you at least knew some of the most basic Freudian terminology and had some general idea about what psychoanalysis is.

Also: read Everything You Wanted To Know About Lacan But Were Afraid To Ask Hitchcock, especially if you've watched Hitchcock films. But it is nonetheless a nice place to learn something.

>> No.9399026

>>9398979
I mean, I know some very basic concepts, like the Oedipus Complex and such.

>> No.9399058

Since you know some Hegel, in addition to learning some Lacan, you might do well by picking up one of Zizek's more recent major theoretical books. Like Less than nothing should be the main one, and that one is definitely very Hegel-oriented. I'm yet to read Disparities myself, but it seems like a serious work, too.

Generalizing: Zizek's earlier work is more Lacan, recent work is more Hegel. He still relies on Lacan a lot as a tool to interpret or supplement Hegel. But like, it isn't horrible if you don't get everything or have to leave some Lacan parts as kind of X:s and Y:s rather than fully understand them.

I'll recommend ya two routes

Light Zizek book like Violence -> a book or two about Lacan (like the two mentioned ITT) -> sublime object of ideology -> parallax view -> maybe in defence of lost causes -> less than nothing

Light Zizek book -> try out a recent heavier book like less than nothing -> after this, if you want more, get more information about Lacan and continue to read earlier Zizek after that

>> No.9399192

Thanks everyone for your recs. I'll definitely check'em out.

>> No.9399225

>>9398881
He's a good comedian and provocateur

>> No.9400784

>>9398881
You just need to know Marx, Freud, and Lacan.