[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 108 KB, 800x420, 171116fake.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
8827262 No.8827262 [Reply] [Original]

Is their anything to be gained by reading news publications?

I started following the news more closely about a year ago and I find it cuts into my reading time significantly.

Now I find it difficult to resist reading multiple articles a day to keep up with world events. Like a novel, I feel a need to know what happens next. Especially in case I end up discussing events or debating politics with others.

The information in most of them becomes void the next day, week or month. Assuming it was remotely truthful in the first place.

Have any of you effectively ceased following the news? If so, did it improve your daily routine and free up more time to spend reading/writing?

>> No.8827267
File: 585 KB, 500x375, 1480978990285.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8827262
>

>> No.8827293

>>8827262
IRL is a postcyberpunk pomo disaster narrative that's way better than anything on TV. You got NEET nazis, demented tech oligarchs, messianic transhumanism, Deep state infighting, conspiracies galore, Jihadists, recursive simulacra, Paranoia, those wacky Russians, technokapital wrecking the human, impending ecological collapse, pharmacological mass control, and lots of other Cool Shit.

>> No.8827609

>>8827262
Has reading the news ever made you better? Has it ever taught you virtue? Has it ever made you happy?
I stopped reading the news because I felt it was making me unhappy, it was wasting my time and on top of it all, I felt like it was actually making me worse.
Do what's right for you - don't fall for the "you have to read the news to be an informed citizen" nonsense. Nobody else is looking out for your health, especially not that of your inner being, which means (in my opinion) that you owe it to yourself to take care of it before anything else, be that politics, local or even world affairs.

>> No.8827616
File: 55 KB, 607x608, Choke em dead.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>8827262

Nietzsche hated journalists and newspapers for a reason. I personally take his word for it - especially now that the fusion of news and entertainment is complete.

>> No.8827657

>>8827262

Regardless of your source, news invariably boils down to pre-packaged ideology, which is the only thing you can gain from it unless you put in Chomsky's worth of effort and read a trillion sources to build your own narrative.
I quit watching the news this year.

I used to spend a good 3 hours a day on it. It contributed to me being a miserable person. Even in the pursuit of non-biased understanding, the ideology osmosed into me and made me shittier for it.

I've recently been watching 30 minute snippets a day to keep up with the Jones's, but the rest of the time I spent has been sublimated into reading and exercise.

That said, I think it's at least somewhat important to keep up with current events, which can invariably be streamlined into half an hour a day. Just be sure to wear your They Live! glasses because you're quite literally reading propaganda.

>> No.8827683

Are there even any famous jornalists? Marx doesn't count, I mean famous for their journalism.

>> No.8827687

>>8827683
Hunter S. Thompson and Orwell spring to mind. Glen Greenwald more recently.