[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 6 KB, 190x265, download.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7943700 No.7943700 [Reply] [Original]

how do i into crowley and occultism? my friend talks my ear off about this shit and i'm ready to delve deep into it

>> No.7943710

Take part in the next Cicada games. Next one should be in January 2017. After you join, assuming you have the intellect to complete the games, make sure to take part in the forums and check out the posts on the Liber Primus.

>> No.7943716

>>7943710
The Cicada games are CIA you drumpf

>> No.7943764

>>7943716
No, I'm not sure about that but perhaps it's possibly connected to a government organization but I would've thought it would be more likely the NSA over CIA. The NSA is much bigger and usually more into this kind of online interactivity. The certain individuals I've seen seemed more like the oldfag Anon type to me; however, that might have been a red herring. But there's a good chance what I've seen was a shadow of the true organization by compartmentalization. There's no way to know for sure, there may be one guy in the world who knows and that's the beauty of compartmentalization.

My advice would be to ignore my first reply in this thread and stay away from Cicada 3301, Crowley, Kabbalah, etc. Certain parts deal with gruesome acts and ideas, such as child rape and murder for rituals.

>> No.7943814

>>7943700
>>7943700
why the fuck do you want to involve yourself in demonic forces? Even if it was real it's just like whyyyyyy

>> No.7943820

>>7943700

Why would you want to waste your time on nonsense?

>> No.7943828

>>7943700
Don't. He was a hack that made up fashionable nonsense.

>> No.7943843

Summon that tripfag from /x/.

Either way don't. It's a bunch of mumbo jumbo.

>> No.7944060

>>7943700

Read Cosmic Trigger / Prometheus rising by Robert Anton Wilson

That'll give you an idea of whether or not you're going to be interested in this shit

>> No.7944065

read The Secret Teachings of all Ages from M.P Hall, and blavatsky

>> No.7944071

>>7944065
Btw, it's all most likely bullshit, but it's fun as hell to read (and i suppose practice, i haven't gotten that far yet though) if you really get into it

>> No.7944162

Do you want to go to hell?

Him and his other O.T.O losers also demanded that you eat your own cum to regain its power. The sex magick stuff.. Well if you like being gang fucked by 60 old men maybe joining a magick cult is the thing for you. Otherwise, just accept God and don't try to become religious without religion. I see you now groping around for some meaning when it's right there in front of you.

>> No.7944165

>>7944065
Read Hall, don't waste your time on Blavatsky.

>> No.7944167

>>7943710
>>7943716
>>7943764
The Cicada games are ran by a psychology forum, you conspiratorial retards.

>>7943700
There's a good library about it on /x/ with a great beginner's section. Take a gander over there.

>>7944162
>>7943814
Ignore puritanical faggots.

>> No.7944195

>>7944162
So that's why I've always been so powerful..

>> No.7946226

>>7943700

1. Decide for yourself if you really want to learn about the life and times of a wicked bisexual degenerate pathological liar and, quite honestly, grand master of occult memes. You WILL hear of gay buttsex at times. If the answer is yes, proceed.

2. Start by learning the simple sketch of Crowley's life via the usual low-investment resources. Crowley is an author where you really do need to know the arc of his life just to orient yourself in his work (not as true of other authors). Read the wiki. I find this popular doco program to be serviceable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jsm6WI5i7p0

Essential things that happened in life (take my breezy version and compare with others, people like to argue these points, Crowley has many biographers):

-Crowley was a talented young bible student as a boy, part of a devout English religious minority. His family had money and a business, and when dad died, Crowley just plain BROKE BAD. Sick of the repression of his youth, he just up and started getting fascinated himself with the devil, the occult, etc, as a way of expressing freedom, and learned all he could on the topics. Once he became a young man, as a consequence of the death(s) in the family, he had inherited what would would be in today's terms over $1M USD, so Crowley was quite free to, er, do literally whatever the hell he wanted.

-This starts Crowley world-traveling, learning about various religious traditions as he was interested, soaking it all up. A close friend, one of the few people he didn't shit-talk, became a buddhist IIRC. Crowley literally travels around the globe once or twice...

-And joining various occult groups (usually based back in England) and rising through their ranks, often rapidly (because he knows all the tricks). Also a mountaineer, on one occasion (I reserve the right to bounce around the timeline, now): Crowley's party had been pissing him off, and they had some sort of disagreement. As a result, the rest of the party tried something, got stuck, and were within earshot of Crowley, wailing for help. Crowley did nothing, came back down the mountain, and was untouchable among mountaineers thenceforth.

-On another occasion, Crowley bought a house in the middle of Scotland, and attempted a months-long occult ceremony called the Abramelion [sic?]. He left this task unfinished, which you're really really really not supposed to do. The video has more on this, and the house was called the Boleskine house. Jimmy Page, himself interested in the occult, owned this house for a time around the 70's but he got spooped out (things went bump in the night) and I think divested himself of it, I'll let you look that part up. Just a few months ago, the house sustained a very bad fire that gutted and ruined much of its structure, so Scotland has a firebug somewhere probably.

cont.

>> No.7946233

>>7946226

-The major life event that really starts the whole business is when Crowley elopes with a wife (her parents hated this and tried to annul it I belive) to Cairo in 1904. The rest of this is Crowley's version more-or-less, and you must always take him with a cube of salt. Anyway, the story goes that the wife, who knew nothing about occult shit, was getting all kinds of spoopy vibrations, tells Crowley "they are waiting for you", and they eventually stop at exhibit #666 in an Egyptian museum. Over three nights, the wife take's Crowley's dictatation to write down the extremely short Book of the Law, the founding text of Thelema, Crowley's new cult-religion which is a mish-mash of egyptology, Crowley's personal ideas on hedonism, and other occult topics. This brings me directly to step #3, which is easy and can be done in under an hour:

3. Read the Book of the Law. http://lib.oto-usa.org/libri/liber0220.html

cont later maybe.

>> No.7946255

Throw Crowley into the trash and look at Rudolph Steiner instead.

The difference in their quality should be immediately obvious.

>> No.7946262

I've been working through Chumbley and achieving some very aesthetic results.

>> No.7946264
File: 327 KB, 450x600, crowley_book_quote1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Two of the best introductory texts are Abrahadabra by Rodney Orpheus and The Eye In The Triangle by Israel Regardie.

>> No.7947675

One more bump to see if OP or anyone else does anything with it, I'm always curious when a /lit/ person takes the interest.

I was in a local bookstore the other day and picked up a weathered looking Crowley bio. It turned out to have been written by a faculty member of my alma mater, just a few miles away. I was not expecting that one. It (Crowley interest) a full-on academic meme these days too, in addition to being a popular one, and I know the reason why, too. Where professors are concerned, anyway.

Crowley left behind a lot of TEXTS and personal history, which are the grist of the academic's mill. There's a lot of basic material that can just straight-up be read, which is the appeal to bookish types.

>> No.7947688

Crowley is fucking terrible

>> No.7948190
File: 266 KB, 700x889, Aleister_Crowley.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

just remember Crowley started off the rich son of a Scottish lord and ended up a penniless morphine addict with no teeth. i guess he used all of his powers to get morphine.

"I SUMMON THEE AIWASS, NO, I DON'T NEED YOU TO FIX MY TEETH, THEY'RE FINE, JUST GET ME SOME MORE OF THAT GOLD'N'BROWN BRAH"

>> No.7948197

Read Portable Darkness, it's a good general overview.

>> No.7948260

>>7946226
>On another occasion, Crowley bought a house in the middle of Scotland, and attempted a months-long occult ceremony called the Abramelion [sic?]. He left this task unfinished, which you're really really really not supposed to do. The video has more on this, and the house was called the Boleskine house. Jimmy Page, himself interested in the occult, owned this house for a time around the 70's but he got spooped out (things went bump in the night) and I think divested himself of it, I'll let you look that part up. Just a few months ago, the house sustained a very bad fire that gutted and ruined much of its structure, so Scotland has a firebug somewhere probably.
>Abramelion [sic?]

Close. He was preparing for a ritual that's usually called the 'Abramelin Operation' – translations vary, but it generally involves between six and eighteen months of prayer, routine meditation and chastity, before making contact with one's 'Holy Guardian Angel' and with their guidance potentially attempting to bind demons you wouldn't otherwise be able to engage. Whether you believe in any aspects of Magick/the occult or not, Crowley's abandonment of the process doesn't explain any demonic activity at Boleskine – he hadn't yet completed the preparations for performing its final evocation.

As you say, though – in conducting any scholarship on Crowley it's best to take accounts of his experiences with more than a pinch of salt, whether described by him or his associates. In typically Crowleyan fashion he probably wasn't following Abramelin's instructions to the letter, and much of his later work concerned with "crossing the Abyss" is quite clearly a variation on how to achieve similar results to what he was hoping to take from the Operation. He probably did complete it elsewhere at some point; as anybody who has read the Liber Samkeh knows, it could only really be written by someone who had attained that level of control over their unconscious/mystical world, or at least thought they had.

Regardless of what happened at Boleskine, he certainly didn't discourage the public perception of it as a site of 'black magic' in order to cultivate an idea of its sacredness amongst those interested in his work – various Thelemic rituals require their practitioners to "turn and face north to Boleskine."

>> No.7948272

>>7944195
Underrated

>> No.7948277

>>7944195
god fucking damnit.

>> No.7948431
File: 20 KB, 334x480, screen480x480.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Not about Crowley, but I read Strange Angel: The Otherworldly Life of Rocket Scientist John Whiteside Parsons written by George Pendle and like it.

It is about the life and death of a real-life scientist-sorcerer and Crowley (and his American associates) does appear in it. Interesting look into the American occult culture, too.

>> No.7948758

>>7948190

The penniless part is wrong, he always had a little bit of money close at hand during endgame. And as for his earlier life, he spent his money drinking, drugging, whoring and traveling. I can hardly think of a better use for it.

>> No.7948783
File: 286 KB, 889x592, 57f.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7948190

>> No.7948794

>>7943700
>>7943700

READ THIS
vvvvvvvvvvvvv
http://hermetic.com/crowley/eight-lectures-on-yoga/8yoga1.html
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
it's a lesser known text written in extraordinarily clear language which gives you all the physical nuts and bolts you need to understand and practice yoga - the fundamental religious activity.

>> No.7949547

>>7948190
sounds like your average scotsman

>> No.7951753

>>7943710
Completing the games doesn't even necessarily require just intelligence. If you don't have the resources and free time to travel to places in order to get clues, you're not going to be able to complete them.

It's why there's no way it would be something occult or government based, probably just some rich guy somewhere spending a ridiculous amount of resources on hosting these games.

Government wouldn't care about if you've got money already, and there's really no reason that some cult would be hosting massive games to draw people in, that's not how cults work, they want as many members as possible. Even if it was an elitist occult based one, they'd want anyone who's going to be an asset, not just people who're able to travel as well as being intelligent enough to solve the puzzles.

>> No.7951771

>>7948190
no fuckin shy this cunt eh

>> No.7951994
File: 31 KB, 306x499, image.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7943700

>> No.7952991
File: 1.19 MB, 1069x1891, 2016-04-22 21.22.38.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If you want basics and a quick summary of what all occultism is about do like >>7944060 said.

If you want to know about Crowley read pic related. It's the best biography by far. The guy himself is fun and had a really interesting life but clearly was a hack.

>> No.7953909

>>7944195
Kek

>> No.7953914

>>7952991

>not reading the biography written by isrealregardieoneofcrowleyslilbois