[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 30 KB, 797x699, 1429647436730.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7841674 No.7841674 [Reply] [Original]

I got back into reading about a year ago. I've read most of the /lit/ "starter" selection and a few random recommendations. Books have really helped fill the emptiness I'd been feeling in my life. I love reading all kinds and getting various perspectives through history real and imagined. But now I want to do some writing of my own.

I've been doing some prompts from this book I got but I'm not happy with my progress. Everyone in my life has always told me to just write what I want and not worry about others' opinions. Sure I get their reasoning but I know it's very possible to do so and still be objectively terrible. I don't want to be terrible; I want to improve.

Tell a beginner how to get better. Be it your own personal advice or a particular reading you recommend.

>> No.7841683

learn another language and read about art

>> No.7841710
File: 363 KB, 500x322, dammit dimitri.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7841683
>want to write in English
can you explain what good that would do me? and where am I even supposed to start with that second suggestion?

>> No.7841745

>>7841674
Take a college level creative writing workshop. There is literally no better way to improve than to write shit and get feedback while also reading other people's shit and giving feedback. Also, keep reading. Also, just write as much as you can and accept that if you want to be a serious writer, you'll never be happy with your progress.