[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 319 KB, 1600x1064, 1442002649072.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
7298935 No.7298935 [Reply] [Original]

Who here so autistic they can't stop talking about literature, history and philosophy and in doing so makes everyone uncomfortable?

>> No.7298942

Yo.

>> No.7298950
File: 56 KB, 1024x683, Czołg_lekki_PL-01_(02).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

just do what I do and learn how to turn any discussion concerning any subject into one about the only subject you know anything about

then you ain't an autist, then you hella smart brah.

>> No.7298955

Jokes on you, you can't have that feel if nobody wants to talk to you!

>> No.7298959

Not me. Feel too ashamed of saying that I just talk with people around trivial stuff

>> No.7298960

iktff(I know that feel fam)

It seems that random historical bullshit is the only thing that pops into my mind when talking to other people. I get around this by just not talking to anyone.

>> No.7298969

>>7298960

I have this problem too. I have no problem communcation with people in the humanities, but god, anyone else and I'm stuck.

>> No.7298977

>>7298935
Ive stoped trying, I just wait for moments to shove in obscure refrences so that I can giggle to myself.

>> No.7298990

>>7298977
stopped*

>> No.7298995

>>7298950

Yeah but then you're "that guy" who can't stop referencing to these particular sets of subjects.

>>7298955

Jokes on you for thinking autists have zero interaction with humans.

>> No.7299013
File: 146 KB, 620x850, 1432742916152.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

The only way to talk about theoretical things with obnoxious brutes is through humor.

Schopenhauer: "Let me advise you, then, to form the habit of taking some of your solitude with you into society, to learn to be to some extent alone even though you are in company; not to say at once what you think, and, on the other hand, not to attach too precise a meaning to what others say; rather, not to expect much of them, either morally or intellectually, and to strengthen yourself in the feeling of indifference to their opinion, which is the surest way of always practicing a praiseworthy toleration. If you do that, you will not live so much with other people, though you may appear to move amongst them: your relation to them will be of a purely objective character. This precaution will keep you from too close contact with society, and therefore secure you against being contaminated or even outraged by it. Society is in this respect like a fire — the wise man warming himself at a proper distance from it; not coming too close, like the fool, who, on getting scorched, runs away and shivers in solitude, loud in his complaint that the fire burns."

>> No.7299015

Usually the type of people I met in any university who wish to talk about that sort of stuff have an off-putting ego. Most of their friends do too. And their whole shtick is this hyperintellectual and socially engaged yet "above-it-all" douche.

To be quite honest with you fam, I rather engage in talks with dumb normies about trivial bullshit than most humanities dickwads who think they're the local Deleuze.

>> No.7299056
File: 2.53 MB, 280x358, 1441718588530.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7299015
>And their whole shtick is this hyperintellectual and socially engaged yet "above-it-all" douche.

It's even worse when they're clearly a poser. There's this one guy who is clearly a normie who likes 'nerd XD' things like star wars, sherlock,doctor who etc. but then acts intellectual in the most cringy fucking way.
Here's a little incident that happened recently
>me on the bus with this poser guy sitting across from me
>goes into 'intellectual' mode
>puts on a high class british accent and starts to roll every stressed syllable
>(X is a guy who's pretty short)
>X reminds of a mousssee
>-big pause for effect -
>'because mice get easily caught in traps' while pretending to hold an invisible wine glass in his hand

honestly, I wanted to kill myself right there and then.

>> No.7299065

>>7298995
>particular sets of subjects
>not simply repackaging and reframing philosophical quandaries and puzzles in unfamiliar ways to make people think you're deep as fuck, become a mildly cultic figure
thats how derrida did it, that's how heidegger did it, and its worked out pretty well so far

>> No.7299127

>>7299056
you should have killed him

>> No.7299138

ITT: Convincing yourself that you're an obscure 'against the grain' genius because you're too much of a pussy to have a human interaction with anyone

>> No.7299152

>>7298935
I do that with pretty much everything. I realize that I don't have to, that I could just say what people would find tolerable, but that's not as fun.

>> No.7299169

>>7298935
I really wish I could communicate with more people. Very few like to meander from first principles, if they're capable it just seem like they're reciting a line of arguments from a book or an article they read.

Then they could simple be incapable, which leaves me cold because I can usually relate, but not with depth enough to feel whole.

The world doesn't owe me shit though, so I'll just keep playing with my intellectual toys and such.

>> No.7299182

>>7299169
Yes it's literally everyone else who's the issue, you're the lone deep person, a hero in the dark if you will. Bravo.

>> No.7299184
File: 13 KB, 380x380, 1431191470031.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>7299138
There he is. The guy who thinks all people have something to teach you. If you look deep enough everyone is interesting. The guy who takes pleasure in small talk and drinking a few beers while watching the football game with his friends. Look how mature he is. He is such a nice guy. He identifies with the straight man in the sitcoms he watches on Netflix. Picture him behind a bar washing a glass with a cloth while talking softly with a customer. The lone individual standing there with his arms crossed saying: "Grow up, everyone. It's not them, it's you. You are not a special snowflake." You will make a fine husband. You will have the best lawn in your suburban neighborhood.

>> No.7299193

>>7299182
I said more people, which implies there are people out there who bring me a lot of joy.

Thanks for the insight, asshole.

>> No.7299197

>>7299184
There he is. The tripfaggot so full of resentment he's made up a character who exists only in his own head to lash out at because a general criticism has hurt his fragile ego just that much.

smuglesbian.jpg

>> No.7299203

>>7299184
it would only be weird if he actively seeked their company.
but you sail with favorable winds if such situations are inevitable. everything else is stupid obstinacy.

>> No.7299211

>>7299197
Put more effort into your responses to me.

>> No.7299217

I do that but it doesn't make anyone uncomfortable.

>> No.7299278

>>7299193
Which is just an attempt to one-up the other dunning-krugers ITT by creating a false air of humility about yourself. The masses are unenlightened simpletons who recite lines from books that they read, unlike you, who has original thoughts that only the intellectual elites (i.e., your small circle of friends and whoever you deem brilliant) could ever hope to understand. You truly are a genius.

>> No.7299314

I try and stay silent in those kinds of conversations, but have the overwhelming need to comment and make myself look like a fool. If I suppress the feeling it builds until I can't contain it, and I'm left with self hatred for my poor impulse control.

>> No.7299325

>>7298950
That is the main calling card of aspbergers, fam. Look it up.

>> No.7299329

>>7299325
>implying there is anything wrong with Asperger's

>> No.7299337

>>7299013
God damn. Old Schopy getting big.

>> No.7299377

>>7299278
Humility? I'm the best. No contest.

>> No.7299416

>>7298935
>tfw literary friends to shit talk with and throw about allusions ironically
>>7299056
>be me
>have uni mate I ride the train home with
>second year, we take some different classes
>run into him
>tells me he was in the train and a guy across from him asked ''where's the blonde one''
>he asks him who he means
>says he always sees us talking, and enjoys listening to our conversations
feels breddy gud

>> No.7300212

>>7299138
>>7299182
>>7299278

Actually most people are truly boring and assholes that require a proper distance.

>> No.7300277

Talking about anything ad nauseam will annoy people. It doesn't matter if you want to talk football or philosophy, people just tend to like people who listen to them, more than they like people who insist on being listened to.

>> No.7300295

>>7300212
tbh that's probably the mask they put on in public, most people don't tend to act as they do behind closed doors.
I'm a depressed fuccboi,who reads, with no direction in life but in public,around people, I act like a happy-go-lucky dumbass who has never
read a book.

>> No.7300422

>>7299377
I'll out humble you all day

>> No.7300437

>>7298935

That's me too, OP.

I am so desperate to have someone to talk to about literature, history, philosophy, etc. that I talk about it all the time on a level that you could easily call "compulsive".

At first I did it to try and introduce those around me to higher concepts and show them that you don't have to be an Oxford don to talk about atomic facts or whatnot but now I find that I can't stop myself. Whenever I'm at a party and people ask what I do for fun I go into a long spill about Melville or something, if someone makes an interesting point about something I inevitably spit out quotes from Kierkegaard or Cicero and I can't help myself. I ruin everything that way because everyone thinks I'm an arrogant jackass when, in reality, I'm just a hobbyist.

I feel like those kids in grade school that used to run around with their arms behind them to be like Naruto, except I go around asking people trap questions to be like Sokrates.