[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 58 KB, 537x738, Jack_Vance_Boat_Skipper.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6908674 No.6908674 [Reply] [Original]

Vance edition

Here's the charts, apologies if they're thumbnails.
>Fantasy
http://vignette4.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a8/1307836551252.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20110612005642
>Sci-Fi
http://vignette2.wikia.nocookie.net/4chanlit/images/a/a6/Scifilit.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20100710233344

>What SF/F books are you currently reading?
>What's your fav book by Jack Vance?
>What's your favorite book in the Dying Earth/Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy genre?

>> No.6909052

ADWD
literally who
lol wut

starting stormlight archive p soon

>> No.6909140

>>6909052
>literally who

Literally you're a faggot.

>> No.6909461

>>6909052
>Likes Sanderson
>Doesn't know who Vance is

Kill urself my man

>> No.6909889

>>6908674

>>What SF/F books are you currently reading?

Ghost Fleet (reading right now) is science fiction to an extent, though it's mostly two policy wonks' awkward attempt at writing a military thriller. It's great that they're able to namedrop historical events and the laws of various countries but imo it doesn't flow well as a novel.

>>What's your fav book by Jack Vance?

Yet to read Jack Vance.

>>What's your favorite book in the Dying Earth/Post-Apocalyptic Fantasy genre?

Trying to think of fantasy I like that's post-apocalyptic, only thing I've read that comes to mind is Shannara series, which I didn't much like (though I do want to see what MTV does with the tv adaptation). However, the "nuclear catastrophe turned people into elves and dwarves" nonsense is clown's balls silly

>> No.6909906

>>6908674
While we're talking about Post-apocalyptic, i'd like to ask your opinion on this
>Post nuclear war setting, desert wastelands and destroyed cities
>Protagonist is a 30 years old guy who was born before the war. He lost a lot of friends throughout his life, and is currently living one day after the other
>an old friend he thought was dead met him.He said he heard rumours about some mystical object that could return the world to what it was before
>he and his friend begin a journey through the wasteland in search of the said object, and in their way they find more people willing to join their cause
>for the first time in years, the protagonist haves hope. Hope that they'll be able to rebuild the world
>when they thought they were about to find that object, they discovered it was a myth. It never existed.
>they get ambushed by bandits. Most of their friends are killed, the ones who survived lost a member or something. The protagonist loses his right arm

It'll be a long story, that part i told is just half of the plot. It will be similar to books like Lord of the Flies and Metro 2033, it'll talk a lot about human nature.

Constructive critique please, don't just say "muh it's shitty"

>> No.6909910

>>6909906

Your setting and character sound tons like The Mad Max movies

>> No.6909923

>>6909910
Yeah, it's a bit similar. But the character is the opposite of Max, he's just a normal guy. Not a badass protagonist

>> No.6910491

>>6908674
Two of Swords by KJ Parker
Lyonesse is the only Vance book I've read.
The Gone-Away World by Nick Harkaway

>> No.6910717
File: 80 KB, 536x283, flori2a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6909052
>>What's your fav book by Jack Vance?
>literally who

"And then there was Twisk, who usually appeared as an orange-haired maiden wearing a gown of gray gauze. One day while wading in the shallows of Tilhilvelly Pond, she was surprised by the troll Mangeon. He seized her about the waist, carried her to the bank, ripped away the gray gauze gown and prepared to make an erotic junction. At the sight of his priapic instrument, which was grotesquely large and covered with warts, Twisk became frantic with fear. By dint of jerks, twists and contortions she foiled the best efforts of the sweating Mangeon. But her strength waned and Mangeon's weight began to grow oppressive. She tried to protect herself with magic, but in her excitement she could remember only a spell used to relieve dropsy in farm animals, which, lacking better, she uttered, and it proved efficacious. Mangeon's massive organ shriveled to the size of a small acorn and became lost in the folds of his great gray belly.

Mangeon uttered a scream of dismay, but Twisk showed no remorse. Mangeon cried out in fury: "Vixen, you have done me a double mischief, and you shall do appropriate penance."

He took her to a road which skirted the forest. At a crossroads he fashioned a kind of pillory and affixed her to this construction. Over her head he posted a sign: DO WHAT YOU WILL WITH ME and stood back. "Here you stay until three passersby, be they dolts, lickpennies or great earls, have their way with you, and that is the spell I invoke upon you, so that in the future you may choose to be more accommodating to those who accost you beside Tilhilvelly Pond."
- jack vance, "Lyonesse"

>> No.6910748

>>6909140
>>6909461
>>6910717
You guys need to learn how to detect b8.

>> No.6910861

Favorite Vance novel probably the 5th Demon Princes novel (can't remember the name) - Howard Alan Treesong so good. But Vance one of those authors who's best understood through taking his oeuvre as a whole - hardly a book by him that stands out.

Also - as general rule - make no judgment of Vance before reading The Grey Prince - the political and social bases of his style much easier to discern then - and his general project more obvious (perhaps unfortunately). However still a magnificent stylist, still a magnificent imagination.

>>6910748
"'But that's bullshit!' Doug says. 'Jesus! Haven't you guys spent any time at all around people like Comstock? Can't you recognize bullshit? Don't you think it would be a useful item to add to your intellectual toolkits to be capable of saying, when a ton of wet steaming bullshit lands on your head, 'My goodness, this appears to be bullshit''?"

>> No.6910878

>>6909906
I just want to know why they would so easily believe that rumor

>> No.6910889

Any Fantasy with a female protagonist I can fall in love with?

>> No.6910893

>>6910889
read The Woman In White and fall in love with Marian Halcombe

<3 <3 <3 Marian

>> No.6910929

>>6910889
Jirel of Joiry

>> No.6910933

Aurora
Lyonesse
BotNS

>> No.6910943

I want to write an exotic and steamy colonial fantasy eroge that deals with transgenderism but I don't feel mature enough to tackle the subject.

>> No.6910947

So is the Lyonesse trilogy worth the read?

>> No.6910950

>>6910943
This whole post

What rhe fuck m8?

>> No.6910980

>>6910950
I think I got the inspiration after I first fapped to ladyboys and thought, 'am I gay now?' I want to conceive that thought into a theme. And I thought a fantasy setting would allow me to create absurd conditions required for such interactions between confused young men and exotic near-perfect women.

>> No.6911005

>>6910980
congrats you're one of the few people who know what fantasy is

>> No.6911026

>>6910980
Well good luck I guess

>> No.6911282

Fuck yeah Jack the man Vance edition. Now I only need a leper outcast unclean edition and all three of my favourite SFF authors have been included.

>>6910861
I kind of agree with you, in that it's hard to pick _one_ work from Vance. I guess, if forced, I'd say my favourites are the Cugel books (boring answer).

By the way, Anon, Book of Dreams has the pitch perfect ending to a revenge saga.

Reading Time Out of Joint by PKD currently.

>> No.6911429
File: 3.25 MB, 1784x2781, latest.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Been reading this after finishing LW. Serious lack of whitey, tbh.

>> No.6911835

>>6911429

Leviathan Wakes was pretty poor imho. It was meant to put characters first, but they really weren't that great. All the time I was reading it I was thinking: this is popular only because it's written by one of the GRRM's buddies.

>> No.6911860

>>6909906
Sounds too generic tbh. Too much like a video game, not enough like a novel.

>> No.6911903 [DELETED] 

I'll repeat my question from the previous thread in hopes that someone might get a clue

>Does anyone know of a sci-fi that describes the action and the world of the characters from an "alien" perspective? Without the story getting tied-in with present, past or future human beings from earth?

>> No.6911920 [DELETED] 

>>6909906
>>6909923

What exactly do you want to hear based on a pitched idea?

Expand on the plot, characters and storyline. Give us something to critique

>> No.6911926 [DELETED] 

>>6910943
>>6910980

If you start with normal, real men who get confused upon seen ladyboys, then it wouldn't be fantasy anymore. In fantasy, this isn't something out of the norm and is perfectly normal

>> No.6911930

>>6911926
Maybe for yourself you fucking faggot

>> No.6911931 [DELETED] 

>>6911429
>Leviathan Wakes is set in a future in which humanity has colonized much of the solar system, but not interstellar space. In the Asteroid Belt and beyond, tensions are rising between Earth's United Nations, Mars and the outer planets.

What a shit premise. Why would you read something as generic as that?

>> No.6911935 [DELETED] 

>>6911930

>Turned gay after fapping to guys with boobs

>calls me faggot

double kek

>> No.6911943

>>6911926
Well I wasn't wanting the fantasy to be the relationship between the men and 'women', but I wanted to have the fantasy element so that I could put them in a strange setting. It very well could be that I could retell the same story but revolve it around a real life scenario, like some young university frat boys on a trip to Bangkok, but I feel like the fantasy could help give the more surrealist tone I'm aiming for.

>> No.6911945

>>6911935
>implying im that faggot

triple kek, I just come to these threads to shitpost tbh

>> No.6911946 [DELETED] 

>>6911945

then go shitpost somewhere else before i find your IP and come to your house to slash you to pieces, you fucking piece of shit

>> No.6911958

>>6908674
nah

>> No.6912177

>>6911943
Make the transexuals more freakish like for example some use magic to turn their arms into massive dicks.

>> No.6912185 [DELETED] 

>>6911943

You'd need quite a strange fantasy world as far as fantasy goes, where the character will be a conservative straight male with obvious political convictions as to influence him in acting weird and confused around trannies.

If you can pull a scenario where those two elements can happen in a fantasy setting, then story might end up good.

>> No.6912500

>>6910878
Well, I don't know. I had the idea to write that novel 2 years ago, and I still can't find a good reason for them to believe it. I tried changing the plot, but I can't create anything good that hasn't already been used
>>6911920
I'll try to describe the setting and characters, but I want to change the plot and storyline

>protagonist (still unnamed) is a 30 years old man. Before the war, he used to live with his father. He worked all day, and left him alone at home, and because of that, the protagonist is a bit independent. He's a smoker, and fond of books.

>His friend is a russian guy, around 40 years old. They met on a cold day, the protagonist was lost and hurt wandering a city, and he helped him get to a safe place. On the morning, when they were trying to leave the city, a monster attacked them. The protagonist managed to run away, but didn't see if his friend made it

>the setting is a deserted world, with mutants wandering the cities and roads. Not much to explain

>they met again in a town of survivors of the wasteland, and he discovered his friend was recruiting people for a journey in search of that mystical object

The rest of the plot will probably be changed.

>> No.6912547 [DELETED] 

>>6911903

Anyone got a clue?

Something like Chronicles of Riddick but in book form

>> No.6912995
File: 327 KB, 1396x1000, literature-genre-fiction.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

why is a "sci fi and fantasy" general allowed on a literature board?

>> No.6913002 [DELETED] 

>>6912995
Because it weeds out tripfags like you i can add to my filter

>> No.6913024

>>6912995
>posting Quentin made images

>> No.6913411

So I'm working on something and came up with a name for a character, Dunny. It's the perfect dull peasant-tier street name I need. But when I googled it to check for any connotations, it turned up to be Australian slang for an outdoors toilet. I kinda thought it's a real name or a nickname, thought I've heard it somewhere before, but apparently it's not. I don't want my character's name to be associated with toilets by possible readers, but if it's an Aussie slang word would it provoke that kind of a connotation with most people? Or could I safely use the name anyway? Give me your thoughts on this pls, what would you think if you read about a guy named Dunny?

>> No.6913441

>>6913411
australians don't even read books so i think you'll be fine.

>> No.6913461

>>6913441
Fair point. But how about you, does it sound "shitty" in any sense? English isn't my native language so I dunno if it's just aussies, or will other people have some similar connotations about it too.

>> No.6913924 [DELETED] 

>>6912500

Go for it then. Make sure there arn't any plotholes or inconsistencies

>> No.6913967
File: 364 KB, 800x1103, 1436971813769.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are the best stories with busty amazons?

>> No.6913971

Does any writer do goblins/greenskins (or somthing like them) well?

>> No.6914009

>>6913411
It's the name of Ciri's pedophile mystery surprise winner dad in The Witcher, although it may be with one n. I was always a bit bothered by how dumb it sounded. I think it goes beyond dull peasant and into totally laughably retarded tier.

>> No.6914030

>>6914009
Never played the witcher but googled and it's Duny with just one 'n' in that.

>I think it goes beyond dull peasant and into totally laughably retarded tier.
But would it be a reasonable name for a street urchin whose mother was some dumb whore? Or is it somehow absolutely ridiculous? If so, why?

>> No.6914054

>>6914030
I was referring to the book. He's not mentioned in the games, at least to my knowledge. I think it fits for a low class citizen who doesn't warrant much respect and is of low intelligence.
I'm not sure how to explain why but the name seems a bit silly and definitely sounds dumb, imo.

>> No.6914118

>>6914054
>I was referring to the book.
ah well whatever haven't rad them either
>a low class citizen who doesn't warrant much respect
check
>is of low intelligence
Well, as smart as some petty thief type of guy can be. Don't want to make him an idiot though.

>name seems a bit silly and definitely sounds dumb
I guess it does. But I need something simple and low class.

Maybe if I explain more about the character and the name I need, and then you can see if it fits

>twins born in the streets
>want matching names ,I thought the other would be Benny
>Benny dies, Dunny boy grows up alone and turns up a weird pyromaniac
>mumbles to himself in a made up language they used to speak with Benny
>all sorts of fucked up physically and mentally

He's just a side character anyway but the only poor lowlife among a group of people from better backgrounds, so his name needs to stand out in that respect. And preferably rhyme with Benny. I thought about Danny but I'm not feeling it, I feel like there's an 'a' in most of my characters names anyway. Other suggestions are also welcome. If I come up with no solution I'll just go fuck it and name him Bunny for laughs.

>> No.6914930

>>6913411
Ausfag here. An Australian reader would automatically think toilet.

>> No.6915276

>>6910889
Ilian of Garathorm, by Michael Moorcock

>> No.6915283

>>6911903
"Nobody wants a passport to a world of talking slugs." - Brian Aldiss

>> No.6915335

So other than tor.com where else can I submit fantasy short stories for publication?

>> No.6915939

>new to SF/F as a whole
Reading The Name of the Wind by Rothfuss
No clue about Jack Vance, but I'm interested in Sanderson, so I'll check him out
No comment on the last one

>> No.6915973
File: 497 KB, 1440x1152, mb_allomantic_webres.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6912547
What you described isn't like the Riddick movies, though.

>> No.6915982

>>6915939
You poor child

>> No.6915999

Any opinions on Zelazny's Amber series?

>> No.6916024

>>6911835
I thought the whole colony versus Earth anger was pretty realistic and interesting. Then again I have to agree that some of the characters actually sucked.

>> No.6916035

>>6915999
Tried to read all in a row, had to give up after book 4. Got too boring, drawn-out and repetitive.

>> No.6916042 [DELETED] 

>>6915973
I mean an alien world that has barely any relations to humans or earth.

Is there absolutely no author who fantasised and thought of a world only of aliens doing alien stuff on their planet? Without it being involved in issues of humans or terra

>> No.6916440
File: 26 KB, 600x449, 1438144938348.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Let's say you're writing some pulp sword&sorcery, how would you bring about a person from 'our' world into a fantasy one?

>dream/coma metaphor?
>physical transportation(some hidden grotto/book/etc)?
>Hidden world(think neverwhere)?

I've been struggling with the concept for a while, but I feel like it would make a nice little children/young adult's book.

>> No.6916465

>>6916440
All those you listed have been overused already. Actually the whole "normal person from our world ends up in a fantasy one" is so worn I wouldn't recommend writing another one. But then again I've always hated that concept even as a kid.

But if you really wanna make it at least make it somehow plausible. Like in the near future there are simulators which let you enter a fantasy world, or some super trippy drug that turns the wold around you into fantasy hallucinations.

>> No.6916483

>>6916465
Is it really overused? I've seen a few examples of the alt universe plot but I didn't know it was really that popular.

I was considering the drug/simulation idea, but I thought it might come off as a last minute ass-pull if I write it into the ending.

>> No.6916497

>>6908674
The Worm Ouroboros
Who? Okay, I know who they are, but they've never really appealed to me.
I have always hated that genre. Too grim for me.

>>6916440
To be REALLY pulpy, go for the whole "the Big Bad sorceress teleported you here for her own nefarious ends!".

>> No.6916511

>>6916497
>To be REALLY pulpy, go for the whole "the Big Bad sorceress teleported you here for her own nefarious ends!".

With cackling laughter and an "I'll get you next time!" thrown in for good measure.

>> No.6916513

>>6916483
>Is it really overused?

>dream/coma metaphor?
done and done
>physical transportation(some hidden grotto/book/etc)?
book - done, turn grotto into a stone formation or whatever - done
>Hidden world(think neverwhere)?
done

>but I thought it might come off as a last minute ass-pull if I write it into the ending
There's nothing worse than not revealing the deal until the end. I can remember borrowing books from the library as a kid and getting mad every time there was the shitty "and then he woke up and it had all been just a dream!" ending.

>> No.6916522

>>6916440
>but I feel like it would make a nice little children/young adult's book
If that's what you're going for then the 'classic' ones will be fine. You can always try to put a twist on things, like a dumb magical creature accidentally bringing the MC with him to the fantasy world and the MC has to figure out how to get back home by going to the king or some sorcerer or whatever. It's a childrens'/YA book, it's more about the characters and what's magical about the place the MC is in than the details of how the MC got there.

>> No.6916551

>>6909052
I AM CHUN THE UNAVOIDABLE

>> No.6916571

>>6912995
sorry anon i didn't realise there was a /books/ board

oh wait, you're a faggot.

literature by definition means written work.

>> No.6916586

>>6912995
Funny how the good books are only on the right, huh?

>> No.6916678

>>6916551
That actually freaked me out when I read it recently. I thought Lliane would get away but no. Chun really is unavoidable

>> No.6916840
File: 19 KB, 225x337, Blindsight_(book_cover).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My friend gave me a pretty glowing review of this, anyone else read it?

>> No.6917617
File: 216 KB, 1804x1328, stevenerikson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I saw The Malazan Book of the Fallen series on a /lit/ recommended reading guide so I decided to pick up the first couple books. I'm about to start reading Gardens of the Moon, and I was wondering what this general thought about the series. Sure it's on several recommended reading guides, but I haven't seen much actual discussion on it here.

>> No.6917620

How's Cornwell's Saxon series?

>> No.6917661

Quantum Thief.

Yes patrician or no patrician?

>> No.6917667

>>6912995
Define both columns and explain in at least two paragraphs what places a work in one column or the other.

>> No.6917698

anyone here write their own stories?

ive been world building for about a month now. I have an idea as to what my world is, the base of every empire, however I am not sure how to make a world conflict. Because every empire has their own fights, and every character has a their own struggle, I know how i want each individual character to go about resolving their conflict, but I cant find a way to make them all unite. It makes me feel as if i wasted time world building because there is no common enemy causing them to all come together to stop a "world ending" conflict. any ideas?

I was thinking of just having an empire try to conquer everything and make one king the glbal bad guy (although hes not really bad, just the fear behind everyone else) since im trying to avoid the bad for the sake of being bad trope, but ive noticed that every book I read has a bad for the sake of being bad evil anyway. Should I add one, or should I just continue to make one expanding empire the evil that everyone else fears?

also, any cool subtle magic you guys might know about? I have a civilization that is living in the rainforest. Naturally I want them to be tuned with nature, I was thinking of making it so they are really good at working with animals/nature but how do I get magic to work without feeling like im sing something corny. I want magic, but every time i think of something I dont like how fake it feels. I dont want huge fireball casting bullshit, just subtle. background magic which can play an important role, but isnt important on its own

>> No.6917917

>>6917698
>anyone here write their own stories?
I haven't written anything yet. I have a story in mind and I know how it ends and how it all started, but the middle is really hard to put together. But it'll be ages before I start to write anything, need to sort out the places and names and all that stuff first.

>ive been world building for about a month now.
Only couple of weeks here, so it'll take a while. I have one city in which most of the story takes place pretty much done, but the world is still in the creation process. Geographically I have a vague reference map and some major cities and bits of culture and history from here and there figured out, and ideas of two more cities pretty clear in my head.

>any ideas?
Nah sorry. My thing has only one main pov and no world ending conflict or big evil so can't help with those.

>also, any cool subtle magic you guys might know about?
Nope, so far no magic in my world, I'm just not feeling it though I've toyed with the idea of having a bit of something.

>> No.6917961
File: 2.68 MB, 1806x2773, words-of-radiance.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Stormlight books are fucking confusing. Not storywise but in how they're released.
So I'm looking to buy WoR and the only hardcover version I see uses the Mistborn-esque blue-red-black art, instead of the more colorful and official Kaladin art similar to what my mmpaperback WoK has. On the other hand though, the two-part paperbacks use the same style of art, which is the primary source of confusion for me.

>> No.6918055

>>6917961
The cover in your pic in any form is the UK version, the one with a cover by Michael Whelan is the US version. Both have hardcover and paperback, with the UK one split in two.

>the only hardcover version I see
Literally google "words of radiance hardcover" and there's tons of pics of the US hardcover.

This is all really simple, I cannot understand how can you be confused.

>> No.6918082

>>6918055
Fine, I'll specify then.
The only hardcover version I see BEING SOLD in my country's shops uses the UK/EU art.
The cheapo mass market version uses the Whelan art while the actual hardcover one is always pic from >>6917961
I'm gonna see how much it'd cost to get the Whelan version delivered from the US through Amazon.

>> No.6918107

>>6912995
>STOP LIKING WHAT I DON'T LIKE

>> No.6918127

>>6917961
Side question: Does that guy just walk around in a suit of armor all day? Because that's stupid and unrealistic. Or does he have super strength or something? That's unrealistic too

>> No.6918132

>>6918082
>I'm gonna see how much it'd cost to get the Whelan version delivered from the US through Amazon.

Why can't you just order it from the book depository with free delivery? What kind of an idiot orders from US Amazon unless they live in the US anyway, the postal costs are ridiculous.

http://www.bookdepository.com/Words-Radiance-Brandon-Sanderson/9780765326362

Just end yourself m8, what is this your first time buying a book?

>> No.6918137

>>6918127
The armor IS the super strength, what are you rambling about?

>> No.6918141

>>6918127
Shardbearers (idk if that's shardplate) usually hang out in their armor all the time cause it gives them super strength and shit.

>> No.6918146

>>6918132
>Just end yourself m8, what is this your first time buying a book?
Yes, outside of local webshops, it is.

>> No.6918152

Is the Eye of the world series worth reading?

>> No.6918159

>>6918146
Well shit. Where you from then? I couldn't imagine managing with local stores, they have a shitty selection on English books and even if it's available to order online it's usually more expensive.

>> No.6918179

>>6918159
Slovakia. So far I've managed fine with local stores cause I can usually find what I'm looking for in at least one of them.

>> No.6918188
File: 193 KB, 1357x2048, WoR_FASHION-AZIR_v02_fmt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6918127
Shardplate is worn during battle but not a lot outside of it (unless the Shardbearer wants to show off or something). Shardplate weighs a ridiculous amount of weight and the Shardbearer has to have help putting on the armor, beginning from ground up or else the weight wouldn't be supported.

>> No.6918194

>>6918188
Stormlight 1 spoiler
[Spoiler]Well Dalinar and co. seem to be fine having them on all day after the chasmfiend attack in WoK so far.[/spoiler]

>> No.6918211

>>6918179
I suggest in the future to use bookdepository, it's great with the free delivery. And if you know you want a book already before it's released, you should pre-order it since they always have 10% off from books before the release date. And sometimes they send 5% off coupons with email. It's really great, been using it as my primary bookstore since 2012.

>> No.6918226

>>6918188
>unless the Shardbearer wants to show off or something
It's stated many times that seeing their leaders in shardplate boosts the army's morale and wearing it as much as possible in public is a good thing. You make it sound somehow negative. And the weight is irrelevant when you have it on, unless it's damaged, and outside the battle it wouldn't be.

>> No.6918233

Prince of Nothing/Aspect Emperor is based as fuck

>> No.6918245

>>6918211
I'm gonna use it for my next purchase for sure, thanks for letting me know of it.

>> No.6918256
File: 402 KB, 1370x2048, WoR_EPHEMERA_IRONSTANC_fmt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6918226
>And the weight is irrelevant when you have it on
Right. The only reason I stated that is because armor generally weighs a lot but Shardplate doesn't really weigh much once put all together (for the Shardbearer himself.)

>> No.6918269

>>6918256
Oh yeah right you meant like breaking chairs and stuff. Yeah I guess unless you have a ryshadium and want to stand all day it might not be the comfiest choice.

>> No.6918280 [DELETED] 

>>6916840

no but it's shit

>> No.6918292

>>6917617
why... why is gardens of the moon such shitty resolution in there? fix it then ask the question again

>> No.6918312

>>6916840

Yeah, it's pretty good and does some interesting things with perception and consciousness- hard SF but with a creepy Event Horizon feel to it at times. You can read it for free online so it's no loss if you don't like it.

>> No.6918319 [DELETED] 

>>6918188
>>6918256

are these canon?

>> No.6918327
File: 252 KB, 1375x2048, WoR_SKETCHBOOK-SANTHID_fmt.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6918319
>hasn't read the books
Unless paperbacks don't have the illustrations.

>> No.6918340 [DELETED] 

>>6918327
O course not, i don't read fantasy.

I was surprised someone would include colour images in a book. The investments for their releases must've been huge

>> No.6918351

>>6918340
Kek why are you even here then

>> No.6918357 [DELETED] 
File: 273 KB, 500x375, 1J5AUo.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6918351

Because i read science fiction?

>Science Fiction & Fantasy General

>> No.6918501

>>6917617
I've tried to read the first book twice, but couldn't make due to losing interest. I haven't dismissed the series though because I've heard the second book is way better, which give me hope for the rest of the series. It's still in my to be read list, but I'm tackling some other books to get back into the swing of reading complex fantasy before I attempt to actually start malazan.

tl;dr: The second book is better than the first, and there is most likely a reason so many people recommend it

>> No.6918550

>>6918340
They're even included in the ebooks I pirated. Really beautiful pictures, though I'm sure my shitty reader's screen didn't do them justice. I should buy hard copies.

>> No.6918577

>>6918327
Paperbacks have them in black and white. Only pictures missing are the ones from the inner covers, but everything from the pages is included.

>> No.6919519

>>6918501
I believe Gardens of the Moon was Erikson's first actual book and as you said there is a very noticeable difference in writing between that and Deadhouse Gates. I'm glad you haven't dismissed the series though because I think it's really quite good and I hope you revisit it some time.

>> No.6921020 [DELETED] 

>>6918550
Are the images included in every book? Or is this guy simply so rich he can afford to pay from his own pocket at the cost of making up for price once the books are out?

>> No.6921239

What are some sci-fi/fantasy novel you'd recommend as inspiration to a visual artist?
Something with great descriptions of environments and characters?
I've already read BoTNS and Gormenghast and they helped me a lot.
(ah, not something too cliche-y)
Also, i'm currenti reading The Folding Knife by KJ Parker, which is great, and The first book of Lankhmar by Leiber which might be one of the best works of fiction i've ever read

>> No.6921270 [DELETED] 

>>6921239

dude visual artist, imagination lmao

>> No.6921279

>>6908674
I by no means categorically write off or even deride fantasy, but has anyone else noticed that in a lot of post-D&D fantasy books the characters just feel like their personalities and motives are just ripped from a character class/alignment description. I mean, it's rarely exactly that, but it's always so close. Sanderson and Abercrombie are the most guilty of it, but it pops up painfully often.

Gene Wolfe and Moorcock are the only authors I've found to be largely or completely immune to it, but they both started writing before D&D and the whole culture surrounding it existed.

>> No.6921283

>>6921279
Abercrombie is annoying as shit to me, the whole first law trilogy just felt like an edgy anime with ultimately no real point, i havent bothered with sanderson.

But yea, im not surprised youd find t among the younger authors, dank memes and all that

>> No.6921298

>>6921283
There's plenty of good sci-fi from both the new and old eras, but I'm convinced that for the most part modern fantasy literature has become too much of a commercial nightmare to really yield anything as amazing as the fantasy of the past.

>> No.6921314

>>6921298
Scott Bakker is getting ther, I think

>> No.6921331

>>6921239
God's Demon by Wayne Barlow perhaps. The guy is actually an artist before being a novelist, and I remember it having some vivid and grotesque landscapes.

>> No.6921332

>>6921314
Nice. Haven't heard of him, but he seems to have a decidedly literary background. That's promising. Like, the thing that I think made the old fantasy so good is that it was either written by people with a literary background or with an underground pulp rock'n'roll background. So much of it from recent times is just born out of the corporate fantasy conveyor belt.

>> No.6921333 [DELETED] 

>>6921279

what's D&D

>> No.6921341

>>6921333
Really or are you just being a knob?

It's Dungeons and Dragons, a popular tabletop role playing game and in my opinion a large step in the commercialization of fantasy literature.

>> No.6921344 [DELETED] 

>>6921341

I know what Dungeons and Dragons are.

The term you used is something completely vague

>> No.6921351

>>6921344
Huh, really? Interesting. I've always used D&D and never had confusion about it.

>> No.6921406

>>6921331
Thanks m8

>> No.6921455
File: 185 KB, 936x1600, nexus.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is Ramez Naam any good?

>> No.6921813

>>6921279
I never played D&D or got into alignments so I guess that never affected my reading of First Law. I do know what Abercrombie was an avid player of D&D though so it probably did seep into his work. I have seen this criticism leveled at him before.

>> No.6922188

>>6921279
genre fiction is often defined by cardboard cutouts of characters and this does not pertain only to fantasy. consider yourself fortunate to have one visionary writing in the genre (wolfe), one good-but-limited writer (cook) while best sci-fi can hope for are plots revolving around quantum mechanics or hiding behind techno fetishism.

fantasy has book of the new sun
western has blood meridian
noir has chandler and hamett
horror has poe and lovecraft and blackwood and james and ligotti and really just dominates other genres

only sci fi never had a great writer

>> No.6922565

>>6922188
Cook as in Glen Cook?

And I'd argue New Sun (and by extension Long Sun and Short Sun) is equal parts sci-fi amd fantasy. It's just that scifi as it's conceived of today is indeed technofetishism in much the same way lots of fantasy is derived from D&D.
But I think there are some great scifi writers, or rather, great writers that have written great scifi books. Michael Swanick's Stations of the Tide is fantastic, Zelazny's Lord of Light breaks convention and is still great to read. Olaf Stapleton has written some great stuff.

>> No.6922760

>>6921344
>something completely vague
everyone says D&D
stop living under a rock

>> No.6922764

>>6922565
yes, first Black Company book is a masterpiece of understated dark fantasy. I haven't read Zelazny but perhaps Philip K. Dick (visionary) and Lem (perhaps great writer, haven't read him either) fill the gap for science fiction. Might have to check out Swanick and Stapleton, most of sci-fi writers I've read either excel at plot or are good stylists, but characters usually fall flat on their face.

>> No.6922777

>>6922565
Forgot to add that I consider Book of the New Sun to be fantasy when worldview of the protagonist is concerned, the interpretation of it; he chose to view the tower as the tower instead of a spaceship, for example so the intent is there and sci-fi elements serve to emphasize layered storytelling, clarifying insinuations.

>> No.6922795
File: 36 KB, 276x420, 944073[1].jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How is this considered epic fantasy? I'm 90% done and so far no major events have happened. A rich kid spent several hundred pages taking fencing lessons and being spoiled. A cripple tortured some people. Some other characters spent most of the book walking to the main city with very little happening on the way. Then an old man took the rich kid and the cripple on a tour of an old empty house. So far there's no larger plot other than vague promises of a war with the North sometime months from now.

>> No.6922827

>>6911931
That's not even the plot. That's just the background to the story. Not sure why it's used as a description. The actual plot is about a conspiracy of assholes who are releasing an unknown alien infectious agent on an unsuspecting public and trying to start an interplanetary war to mask their agenda.

>> No.6922829

>>6922795
The war and shit eventually happens, but the worldbuilding itself is so vague you might as well be watching fucking Pokemon or something for how much it matters

People really read Abercrombie for his edgy plots and characters, thinking he's out-doing GRRM or something.

>> No.6922844 [DELETED] 

>>6922827

The entire background of the story reminds me of sci-fi books from the 80s when space colonization was popular. It's been terribly overused already

>> No.6922863

>>6922829
That's a shame. He has some interesting characters. He just doesn't give them anything to do. They're treading water and going nowhere.

>>6922844
LW has a lot of cliches. And some of the characters are pretty flat. There's no avoiding it. But it's still an entertaining read if you like space opera type stories. It's really about humans being idiots and fucking around with alien technology they don't understand. In many ways it's a bit like the whole plot in the Alien movies about Weyland-Yutani always trying to infect people. Except in this story they lose control in an even more catastrophic way.

>> No.6922896

>>6908674
I just finished reading The Annihilation Score by Stross and haven't gotten around to choosing what to read next. My backlog is vast and I could get lost just exploring it.

I have the Tales of Dying Earth, so I read them all at once. To me they are all one big book, so I can't choose a single book of his but I love his Dying Earth series.

Jack Vance's Dying Earth. I love the atmosphere, the silly titles, the setting, everything about it.

>> No.6922903

>>6909889
As far as Shannara goes, the elves were already there, they were just hidden. Dwarves, though, yeah typical nuclear age "radiation gives superpowers" stuff.

>> No.6922904

>>6922795
The plot will go larger. It's just to get you hooked on one or other character, then there will be many more PoVs and quite different main characters.

I liked it quite a lot, but mosty for guilty pleasure kind of reasons. Btw, this
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O2y2n4HfMY
was my soundtrack while reading 90% of this series which went on for weeks, so every time I remember about the 9-fingered guy or the fights in the North there's some Alice Glass type of wench screaming in my mind to some generic 8bit track.

>> No.6922905

>>6922188
>fantasy has book of the new sun

Not to split hairs here but BotNS is just as much Sci-Fi as it is Fantasy.

You're also forgetting that Wolfe also wrote The Fifth Head of Cerebus, The Island of Doctor Death, and the majority of his short stories could fall firmly into Sci-Fi.

I'd actually argue that Sci-Fi has quite a bit of fantastic writers. Asimov, LeGuin, Dick, Heinlein, and especially Wolfe are all great writers.

Asimov's Foundation series is probably the top candidate for Magnum Opus of Sci-Fi (If we are counting BotNS as fantasy only.)

>> No.6922924

>>6922904
>different main characters
I meant different locales, I remember at least 5 or 6 big countries, and there will be huge fights.
But as the other guy said, it's mostly about dialogue and characters, factions are pretty generic, tho I quite enjoyed the backstory stuff around the Maker, could prove to be a nice twist on Tolkien's Gandalf and Middle Earth. It was a shame there were no farther novels in that direction (after the first 3 books there are other 3 side stories focusing on other PoVs, except for the last 3rd, or 6th in the whole series). Maybe he's just waiting for the right time for The Second Law (last thing Abercrombie wrote was more YA, or even a children book iirc). I'd read it probably

>> No.6923229

>>6922905
Leguin, Asimov and Heinlein are just about interesting ideas rather than good prose. Okay, Leguin is a good writer, both fantasy and sci-fi. PKD is a really shoddy writer veering into gibberish but he is at least interesting.

>> No.6923953

Listening to fahrenheit 451 whilst running and stuff. Haven't read hardly anything in recent years, but with audio books managed to get through 2 in the last 3 weeks. Does this make me a total pleb?

>> No.6924238

So how unique is GRRM's setting? I'm writing my own thing now, I've been putting a lot of work into the world and I feel I've got a nice unique thing going with the cultures and whatnot, and I know that my work, like anyone's being published at this point, is going to be compared to his. Which is why I've been holding off on exposing myself to it.

>> No.6924282

>>6924238
It's very medieval to Renaissance European political. Which oddly makes it almost unique in the modern fantasy genre because it doesn't have elves or dwarves or wizards and no one gathers a party and goes on a quest to destroy the talisman of ultimate evil in a place of power in the heartland of the evil one. In fantasy the one giant of the genre you must try really hard not to copy is Lord of the Rings. It's been done so many times.

>> No.6924291

>>6924238

Not very. The dynastic politics are straight out of Dune and the setting is very Robert E Howard

>> No.6924297

>>6924291
Dynastic politics didn't come from Dune. That's a given in any story about royals and succession. It would be damned near impossible not to touch on the subject when writing about royalty.

>> No.6924298

>>6924282
I'm definitely avoiding that for sure. I'm also working towards not making it seem so 'Western', if that makes sense.

I'm a history nerd, so I'm trying to make the civs seem like they're their own naturally-forming things instead of being "This one is like Egypt" and "This one is like X civilization", if that makes sense.

>> No.6924323

>>6924298
You might even have some untapped potential basing civilizations on a time period no one else has touched like early Mesopotamia. Akkadians, Sumerians, Babylonians, Zoroastrianism. There's some fascinating history there that no one touches. Almost all fantasy is medieval European. And the stuff that isn't is just arbitrary weirdness where people live in random things like mushrooms.

>> No.6924372

>>6924323
Assuming this becomes a series, there'll definitely be a collapse or two where I can play with that. But for now I have things like a civilization that gets hit with a massive tsunami on a yearly basis, so their weapons are sickle-like things designed to catch themselves on branches and roots if they get swept away by currents, and their houses are wedge-shaped and on stilts so they can hopefully withstand the currents, and if not have it function as a boat of sorts.

>> No.6924376

>>6908674
The Werewolf Principle by Clifford D. Simak
Cugel's Saga
The Book of the New Sun

>> No.6924488

>>6924323
Not the guy you're talking to, but I'm planning something like this too. Late bronze, early Iron Age stuff. Using the Old Testament as a reference, post exodus but pre king Saul.

>> No.6926034

>>6924238
The setting isn't unique at all, it's very typical medieval stuff.

>> No.6926043

please stop with general threads, keep this shit off /lit/

sage

>> No.6926045

>>6913967
the anthology series "chicks and chainmail"
>I wish I was making up that title

>> No.6926062

>>6926043
fuck off fella; a containment thread is better than SF/F being spread over the whole board you dip

>> No.6926161

>>6924372
>that gets hit with a massive tsunami on a yearly basis
>their houses are wedge-shaped and on stilts so they can hopefully withstand the currents

Kinda reminds me of stormlight archive, you've just replaced the highstorms with tsunamis. Of course there are differences like in SA the storms come very often, and the similarity could be just a coincidence. I don't know if you've read any of SA but since Branderson has already done the "civilazation facing regular natural catastrophes and learned to live with them" thing you'll probably get compared to him.

>> No.6926410

>>6926161
I haven't read him, but I'll check it out. The whole continent gets hit with the wave, but a conveniently placed mountain range shields much of the rest of it from too much damage, so the ultimate effect of it is kind of a flooding of the Nile situation. The first book takes place in one slice of an era a generation after a major cataclysm, when there's still something of a power vacuum. From there on out I'd be chronicling the effects of the cataclysm, which is cosmic in nature, and how it essentially ruins the world generation after generation until the reincarnate inhabitants are twisted into strange things that echo the angelic beings that engineered the cataclysm in the first place.

I know nobody gives a shit about what I'm working on, but I find myself speaking vaguely about it because of the irrational fear that somebody here will lift something from my synopsis. Does anyone else have this problem?

>> No.6926413

>>6916840
It's fucking awesome. Gets into your and changes your perception on things.
The sequel is fucking awesome too, it might even be better. I finished it a few days ago and I'm still reeling.

>> No.6926465

>>6926410
>The whole continent gets hit with the wave, but a conveniently placed mountain range shields much of the rest of it from too much damage
Same with the storms in SA. The rest sounds cool though.

>Does anyone else have this problem?
Yeah.

>> No.6926478

>>6926465
Thanks. And I'm glad it's not just me, then.

>> No.6926745

Anyone else reading Two of Swords? I just got caught up.

>> No.6926769

>>6909906
Sounds like Roadsice Picnic / S.T.A.L.K.E.R. games.

>> No.6927147

Hello lit. /tg/ visiting. I've written some sci-fi short stories as a means to fleshing out one of my RPG settings. I was wondering if you might be able to give me some pointers as a writers room or heaven forbid, a thread on here I could post it in? Sorry to shit-up this thread but I figured it was the best place to ask.

I'm looking for critique and criticism, constructive or otherwise.

>> No.6927170

>>6927147
Hey /tg/. I'll warn you now, shitposting takes a particularly snobby flavor here, but usually there's someone nice to help out, just wait for it like anywhere else. Feel free to post and discuss ideas here, but I'd recommend you find a critique thread to judge your actual writing; they're already in the mindset and motive to do it.

>> No.6927207

>>6927170
Thank you /lit/, I figured I should ask in here first as /tg/ is (correct or incorrectly) of the opinion that sci-fi is frowned upon here.

I note that there is a critique thread of a sort up here which I shall attempt to post in.

>> No.6927218

>>6927207
This is the Sf/F containment general mate. Outside of this thread people will be abit more memey towards genre, but it's safe in here.

>> No.6927227

>>6927218
Hmm. I think I'll take the step of posting it in here as well, please ignore me if this is frowned upon.

http://pastebin.com/ivmysGxV

>> No.6927248

Rothfuss is a far superior story teller than Vance.

>> No.6927610
File: 24 KB, 378x363, 1408305413423.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6927227
I just read the whole thing, and I fucking love it dude. I don't even read scifi, I prefer fantasy and general fiction, but that was dope.

There were comma mistakes, some missing or some in the wrong places, sentences I'd constructed differently and some vague parts or sentences I had to read twice to grasp them. But ignoring that, I thought the story was great.

>> No.6927882

>>6927610
My most sincere thanks for reading, and for your kind words. I think (dyslexia is a hell of a drug) that I need to re-draft it again to get the last of the errors (pastebin seems to have added a few I swear).

I'll polish it up and repost it later tonight as, now I look at it yet again, I realise there are some fairly egregious spelling and grammar issues.

>> No.6929037
File: 161 KB, 1600x1200, major.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm doing some planning for a cyberpunk/near future science fiction story. I've been writing short stories in this setting for a while, creating characters and trying to flesh out the idea in my head. I've wanted to have a femme fatale character similar to Molly Millions or The Major from the start, but put off writing anything about her until I've fleshed things out and created a setting I'm happy with. I didn't want to start with her and end up just writing Ghost in the Shell fan fiction in disguise. So basically I'm at that point now where I'm starting to really consider her.

Prosthetic bodies exist in this world, and it's at the point where if you have the money you can basically look like whatever the fuck you want. Because I have a taste for making things kind of weird, I've been pushing around the idea of her having a dick. Here me out. It's not something I'd want to really dwell on or make a big deal of. I don't want it to be the most defining element of her character. As of right now I'm not planning on having her be openly sexual with anyone. But I like the idea of some characters thinking she may have a cock.

One of my previous short stories involves a team of mercs that are similar to the marines from Aliens, so they're mostly macho and loud mouthed. I'd like to have her get involved with them. So something like one of them telling fantasies about her, and another butting in that he heard she has a dick. Play it like a gag more than anything. Maybe a couple more hints in other places, and that's basically the closest I want to get to addressing it.

I'm writing all this because I'm looking for other fiction with similar characters, especially in science fiction or fantasy, of female characters with dicks. I want to try and figure out a way to write this without seeming like I'm either pushing some transexual/queer agenda, or writing a fetish piece. If that makes sense.

>> No.6931040

Anyone else looking forward to finally reading Legend of the Galactic Heroes when the first 3 books release next spring?

>> No.6931070

>>6929037
If its just a superficial joke I think you can easily pull that off with some offhand jabs and implications here and there, dont overthink it.

>> No.6932232

Are you all hype for The Expanse? Syfy is trying to fix its reputation by taking itself a bit more seriously again, and they're adapting Leviathan Awakes (the first book in the Expanse book series) to TV, giving it the biggest budget of any Syfy or Sci-Fi Channel show in history. If it does alright, I imagine we'll see more seasons.

Regardless, I'm looking forward to it. Going to read at least the first book before the show starts.

I hope it gets "Game of Thrones" level popular. Space opera needs a flagship title like that to spur on the production of more shows in the genre.

>> No.6932335

>>6915335
http://www.thereviewreview.net/publishing-tips/whats-your-fantasy-lit-mags-fantasy-writers

http://www.thereviewreview.net/publishing-tips/speculate-lit-mags-publish-speculative-writi

>> No.6932399

>>6932335
Thanks anon

>> No.6932667
File: 14 KB, 300x237, PigasusAward.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6932232
>SyFy

lol no

they're going to keep churning out trash until they go belly up

their current president already said she hated "nerds"

>> No.6932806

>>6932667
Check the interview:

http://www.ew.com/article/2014/10/28/syfy

>> No.6932998

>>6932806
>“We saw an explosion of sci-fi/fantasy content across every cable and broadcast network out there,” said Syfy president Dave Howe. “Perceptions of the genre have shifted dramatically. What that speaks to is an opportunity to re-own the genre and be at the forefront of high-end buzzy, provocative storytelling — and the epiphany of that was Battlestar.”

I hope he gets syphilis.

>> No.6933008
File: 43 KB, 396x385, 1438030539341.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6932806
>>6932998
>So do you now think space operas can attract female viewers?

>I passionately believe that. When you see the things that are working … I just went to go see Guardians of the Galaxy and it was not an audience of guys. When you’re talking about big-hit content that we can provide, you’re going to get everybody. At times sci-fi skews more male, but I think that’s changing and that’s an antiquated prejudice. My wife enjoys Game of Thrones as much as I do. I think if the storytelling is good and you can relate to the characters, you’ll get both.

Why did I keep reading...

It just gets worse and worse.

>> No.6934368

>>6927227
This is rather good.

>>6932806
This however hurt to read.

>> No.6935397

>>6929037
What the fuck? Why would you ever do this? Stop forcing fag enabling tranny shit into fiction.

>> No.6935706

>>6932998
>>6933008
I dont really get why this is bad. He's just spewing generic "Sci-Fi is more than nerd stuff now" retoric. Its nothing to get angry about

>> No.6936229
File: 144 KB, 312x475, 13616278.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Has anybody here read "The Red Knight" by Miles Cameron?

It's the first book of a cycle and I've enjoyed it so much that I read the 2nd book despite:

>uncharismatic and arrogant as fuck main character
>initially very awkward/weird magic system
>too many POVs that only later on begin to make sense as the story unfolds

It's classical military fantasy that follows (amongst others) the pursuit of a medieval mercenary company that is hired to defend a monastery against the agressive creatures of "the wild" (magical wilderness full of spoopy dragons and shit). Set in the fictional country of Alba, this is clearly england. From GALLE (France), a group of uber powered mega paladins travel to Albia to aid the King in trade for political favors and/or treachery. The world is full of bible references, monsters, dragons, dragonslayers, knights, assassins, poor fucking peasants and the usualy medieval shit.

I didn't like it at first beause I thought the main character was an edgy Mary Sue type of hero, but that impression fades eventually when you're being presented with his more human side and his personal flaws.
What is also interesting is that the huge battles and conflicts (in both books, so far) are always looked at from different angles, you get POVs of the "good" guys but you get at least as many POVs of the "bad guys". Makes me wonder if there is truly one protagonist or 7 or 8.

Anyway, I like it.
The author also has a major hardon for medieval armor, weaponry, siege engines, tactics and letting horses die.

What surprised me the most is that the Author is a 50yr old ex navy guy from the US... my first guess was 25yr old british fantasy writer.

>> No.6936236

>>6922764
>Black Company

I finished the first three books (1 collection) and started the 2nd collection, starting with (iirc) Shadow Games.

Holy shit, does it ever get better?
The first books were pretty great, but Shadow Games really sucks for some reason. All this romance shit between him and the girl, I really do NOT fucking care.

I read the first books because of all the murdering, the planning, the battles and the magic, not because I wanted to read about an old man rekindling rusty feelings of love.

This shit ruined Lynch Scott's last Lamora book too. I want fantasy, not romance shit, for gods sake.

>> No.6936242

>>6936229
gonna read the fuck out of this, thanks for the recommendation anon

>>6936236
sad to hear black company does romance shit, i've only read the first one and was hoping the quality would maintain for at least the first few books

>> No.6936243

>>6908674

Does anybody have those 2 lists in the OP in a resolution that is not for ants?

I can't read SHIT there, it's so tiny

>> No.6936307

>>6936229
I follow the artist who did that cover job, but I never thought of reading the book. Also RIP in pizza horses.

>> No.6936318
File: 860 KB, 1259x2132, 1291_Full_DLB_chibi_lineup_(labeled)_d61ff26c_20150204210816PM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>tfw you look up some of your old professors and it turns out one of them wrote a fantasy novel
This is art someone did for it I guess. The novel itself is called "Dread Lord Bob". I have no idea if it's any good or not.

>> No.6936428

>>6919519
>>6918501
I don't really understand how people actually liked the first book enough to buy the second one. I just finished Gardens of the Moon and it's ridiculous how shallow it actually is. The character are either clichés or completely unexplored, with character beats that are both sudden and make no sense (Paran is a particular example of this), and they constantly make wild leaps of logic (especially in how they think of the Adjunct and why they want to blow up darujhistan or whatever). The dialogue is also pretty stiff.

The saving grace is actually that Erikson writes pretty decent action prose, and the world building is pretty alright. Everyone just seem to gush about it because he doesn't explain everything about the world right away. He just sits you down and explains things whenever he feels like it; you just have to hang in there. It's all very needless.

There's also a heavy reliance on "lol magic", in particular that shit with Tattersail changing bodies using a spell she specifically she hasn't encountered before and couldn't possibly know IN AN ANTI-MAGIC ZONE and how they defeat the Jaghut Tyrant. I wouldn't continue if others hadn't praised the second book so hard, but I couldn't fathom why people would continue with it otherwise.

>> No.6936462

>>6936318
With art like that it's pretty safe to say no.

>> No.6936506

anybody have those charts?

>> No.6936522

>>6908674
I was reading a Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court but was unable to finish because I was on holiday and the book wasn't mine. It was a lovely 50+ year old book that I sadly ruined by reading it.

From what I gathered it seemed to be an incredibly interesting commentry of life in the middle ages but I'm not entirely sure how much Twain researched and how much he took for granted.

>> No.6936558

>>6936428
It's awful to the point of me thinking it is shit at 15.
It's the time I loved Game of thrones, but couldn't swallow something like this.

>> No.6936567

>>6936428
That's the entire series in a nutshell, if you hated Gardens that much you probably shouldn't bother.

>> No.6936581
File: 2.75 MB, 2090x4926, lit fantasy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6936243
There's always someone saying that, what browser do you use? They work fine with Chrome at least.

>> No.6936586
File: 2.28 MB, 2200x5000, lit scifi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6936581

>> No.6936651

>>6936567
I can stomach most of the shit if the characters just get better and more developed. He had some great potential in there (like Anomander Rake, who was legitimately interesting). But for every Rake, Kruppe or Rallick, there was a Fiddler, Baruk, Adjunct, Paran, Tattersail or Crokus. So if he improves on that front he could do some real good stuff. And if he drops the reliance on "lol magic".

And honestly do like the stting; it's a nice mix of high fantasy and the darker realities of war.

So, does he improve?

>> No.6936742

>>6936651
>I can stomach most of the shit if the characters just get better and more developed. He had some great potential in there (like Anomander Rake, who was legitimately interesting). But for every Rake, Kruppe or Rallick, there was a Fiddler, Baruk, Adjunct, Paran, Tattersail or Crokus. So if he improves on that front he could do some real good stuff. And if he drops the reliance on "lol magic".

Neither of these things improve.

>> No.6936799

>>6936236
>Holy shit, does it ever get better?

no

>> No.6936952

>>6912995
the right side literally has the better books

>> No.6937572

Thoughts on Lev Grossman's "The Magicians"?

>> No.6937588

>>6908674
nah

>> No.6937592
File: 58 KB, 669x669, 1438152408802.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6937572
i don't know
you tell me

>> No.6937669

>>6936236
>Holy shit, does it ever get better?
Nope. Once the big bad dies, it's all downhill.

>I read the first books because of all the murdering, the planning, the battles and the magic, not because I wanted to read about an old man rekindling rusty feelings of love.
He's the author's self-insert, and he wrote the Lady as his waifu (she's literally a virgin, not making this shit up). Basically from that point on, the plot takes a backseat to their sappy romance.

>> No.6937686

>>6936428
Don't bother continuing. The first and second books are the only readable ones and only then because of the anthropology stuff.

>Tattersail
Spoilers: she becomes an overpowered demigod Mary Sue via magical plot fuckery. Every character adores her.

>>6936651
>So, does he improve?
No. He churns through characters so fast that he never really explores them. You do hear about Rake later, but it's not worth the slog.

>> No.6937754

Is there anything that's good sci-fi or fantasy and mixes it with the mystery genre (in that there is a solvable mystery that you can figure out if you're clever enough, without resorting to meta knowledge about the genre's conventions or what would make for an interesting twist)?

>> No.6938140

>>6937754
Glen Cook's Garrett series.

>> No.6938195

>>6938140
Thanks.

>> No.6938329
File: 217 KB, 795x1200, twok_sketchbook-4_axehounds-webres.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6936242
The books are fine. There is not an over-emphasis on romance. It's only 'important' in the first few books because Croaker is the fucking Annalist, and even then, most people revere the first few books over the rest of the books. The entire series is extremely solid--albeit with a bit of slow-pacing around the middle--and still contains the qualities that made the series well done.

>> No.6938772
File: 261 KB, 662x1024, 1434531177.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6938195
Cook has written some fun stuff: space opera, fantastic mysteries, low fantasy, etc. He had many different interests and it shows in his choice of characters and settings. Pic related. From what I understand, the series was inspired by his love for One Thousand and One Nights.

>> No.6939032

>>6908674
>>What SF/F books are you currently reading?
I'm reading Dan Simmons Hyperion and I fucking hate it. I hate it so much, I probably can't finish it.

Guys I have a really hard time getting into scifi books. First I tried out a few classics and I hated them all, because they used outdated science or wrong words for things that have already been invented. Then I tried Hyperion, because there will be a movie soon. I really don't know how to find a good scifi author and I really like scifi films and series.

>> No.6939059

>>6939032
Tried Gene Wolfe?

>> No.6939114

>>6939059
Nope but I think I could give his New Sun series a try. I'm a bit worried about the age of the books, but the premise sounds still interesting.

>> No.6939119

>>6939114
>I'm a bit worried about the age of the books
As cheesy as it sounds, they are ageless.

>> No.6939133

>>6939119
All right then, I'm ordering right now. Ty for the recommendation.

>> No.6939153

>>6936229
Read it, enjoyed it mostly.

Though the odd turn of phrase was weird. Everyone seems to look at everyone with hero worship just for jumping onto a horse lol.

>> No.6940552

If I want to read Foundation would I have to read the Galactic Empire books first?

>> No.6940558

>>6940552
i never read the galactic empire books and the foundation trilogy explained anything you needed to know. it isn't a hard read, and asimov is great at introducing ideas like the empire and its capital without ending up writing an encyclopedia. go for it, it's a good read

>> No.6940585

>>6940552

nope, full self-contained.

>> No.6940625

>>6936229
How does it compare to Prince of Thorns?

>> No.6940633 [DELETED] 

>>6936229
Sounds good. Hope the MC is not as shitty as the guy from Prince of Thorns.

>> No.6940794

>>6918233
Its a shame Bakker will never finish the series

>> No.6940958
File: 401 KB, 1024x634, warbreakermapsmall.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6939032
ALASTAIR REYNOLDS

>> No.6941066 [DELETED] 

asda

>> No.6941079

I want to describe my world which is located on another planet, but i don't want to use my main character to do it. Everytime it happens, there is more world development going on while the character has no development.

I don't want to use the main character as an excuse to explore the world. So how can i describe a rich world and a main character at the same time, without sacrificing time from each?

>> No.6941226

>>6940794
Whats happened?

>> No.6941272

>>6941226
He finished the book like a year ago and the publishers haven't even assigned it to an editor, let alone set a publication date.

>> No.6941279

>>6941079
Maybe like a paragraph at the start of each sentence in italics, quoting from made up book that exists in your world.

>> No.6941296
File: 550 KB, 973x640, 1438853225633.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6940625

I haven't read Prince of Thorns unfortunately (because the sheer edgyness made it look uninteresting to me).

If you compare it to The Black Company, to Abercrombie or Abrahams, then it is definitely good military fantasy up there with those authors. There is a nice balance between descriptions of the military scale and the personal adventures of the (anti)heroes that give the book its many viewpoints.

As confusing as the many POVs initially are, they reward you with a lively grand scope of the moves different parties make in Alba, Morea, Thrake, Galle and the Wild. Many of these parallel plots eventually come together and end up in battles, adventures and alliances. This multitude of POVs is what I liked about Abrahams and Abercrombie, it's what I missed a bit in the Black Company.

If you're looking for more of a black and white scenario with a clear distinction between good and evil, then this book might not be for you. There is a definite cast of purely evil and destructive characters, but that is a thin line that more often than not does not run along the lines of actual war and conflict. Good people are manipulated by bad sorcerers, bad sorcerers are manipulated by entities beyond their understanding and eventually even demons are forced to ally with human renegades and free folk in order to avoid annihilation.

TL;DR
>if you like the politics and viewpoints of the Dagger and Coin series
read it
>if you like close up battle descriptions of melees, magic feats and men fighting monsters
read
>if you like characters than can be easily assigned to categories of good and bad
don't read it
>if you don't like military fiction, knights and tons of dead horses
don't read it
pic not related

>> No.6941298

>>6941296

>female "comedians"

>> No.6941303

>>6941279

Doesn't a book in a book sound too cliche?

>> No.6941305

>>6941298

Sorry, wasn't even aware she was a comedian (I'm not from the anglosphere). I simply chose the picture because it was on my desktop and she has a nice figure.

>> No.6941308

>>6941305

Just an attention whore to make up for their shit career and lousy humour

>> No.6941407

>>6938772
Is the Dread Empire series as good as The Black Company? I cant decide if i want to read that, or Malazan next.

>> No.6941438

>>6941305
She isn't. She's a fairly successful mixed martial arts fighter who does occasional acting gigs.

>> No.6941563

>>6941303
Worry less about if it sounds cliche and more if it accomplishes the thing you need to do.

>> No.6941616

Book 5 of Star Epic One by Gas-Kun. It's teen space opera but it's ok.

>> No.6941708

>>6941438
/lit/

>> No.6941826

>>6941296
Thx, I'll be sure to check it out

>> No.6941842

>>6936522
I think he took for granted a lot. Any historian will tell you that Victorians fucked up the perception of prior eras for a long time, and this book showcases it quite a bit. Everyone in the book besides the protagonist is literally a drooling retard who couldn't think their way out of a paper bag. It's not a bad read, but it's pretty much entirely fictional in content.

>> No.6941938

First off my rec:

>Mother of Hydrogen - Vinay Gupta
>http://files.howtolivewiki.com/MOTHER_OF_HYDROGEN_NOVEL/mother_of_hydrogen.portrait._dev_urandom_edition.pdf
>spec fic, easy reading but violent/obscene, unfinished/unpolished, deals with occultism, tech evolution, human evolution

And a request for a rec.

Quick favorite books from a variety of tones:

>MaddAddam Trilogy, Xanth series (and Geodessy by Anthony also), Clan of the Cave Bear series, Neuromancer, Hitchhiker's Guide

>> No.6941976

>>6941303
The quotes don't have to be from the same book.

It's a method used a lot in fantasy.

>> No.6942516

So who are the Pat Rothfuss, Brandon Sanderson, and Scott Lynch of Science Fiction?

>> No.6942527

>>6937686
>>6936742
Fuck. I guess I'll read the second book and stop, then, since I've already bought it.. Any other recommendations? My dad have all the Esslemont novels for some reason; are they any better?

And why the fuck do people like Tattersail? Is it because she's fat? Her "romance" with Paran was the worst part in the entire book.

>> No.6942546

>>6942527
My dad has*

Jesus Christ, to think that I actually read and discuss books

>> No.6944280

>>6941298
Maria Bamford is pretty funny.

>> No.6944286

How complicated do the politics get in the Expanse books? I loves me some intrigue.

>> No.6945603

That feel when I think I've read every fantasy book that appeals to me.

Why doesn't anyone do a good coming of age story anymore? Why is an old asshole protagonist the new flavor of the decade? Can't we get more stories that revolve around some nobody kid rising up through the depths of society to hit it big?

I guess I'll just reread A Cavern of Black Ice or The Dragonbone Chair for the millionth time again. Fuck modern fantasy.

>> No.6945635

>>6941407
I would read The Black Company before Malazon, and I enjoyed (for the most part) Malazan.

>> No.6945647

>>6941407
Now that I think about it, your post suggests you have already read The Black Company (my wits are a bit wits dulled by whiskey). Yes, The Dread Empire series is as good as TBC (in my humble opinion) Underrated, in my opinion, when it comes to Cook's work. It's a different approach to a familiar genre, that genre being genre fiction.

>> No.6945879

I'm not a massive Sci-Fi fan, but I started Hyperion and I'm almost finished the Priests Tale, and I am enjoying it very much.

>> No.6946093

>>6945603
>Can't we get more stories that revolve around some nobody kid rising up through the depths of society to hit it big?
Just end yourself, why would you want any more of that shit?

>> No.6946166

>>6909906
It could be interesting from the perspective of the "everyman" if you emphasized a lot of growth. And I'd love to see him achieve darkness

>> No.6946179

>>6945603
It's adapted to the times. What we need are more clever subversions of old tropes. Personally, I think Martin is a master at taking princesses and honorable knights and turning their tropes on their heads (a princess who is militant and sexually voracious; a knight who betrays his vows to follow a personal righteousness, etc.) You can't ask a "postmodern" age to revert, but that says nothing about its ability to wax nostalgic.

>> No.6946215
File: 66 KB, 750x500, mb02_symbols-webres.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6945879
I'm sorry. Don't read beyond the initial book.

>> No.6946941

>>6945603
Just read some China Mieville's Bas Lag series. It doesn't have what you're looking for, but it also doesn't have what you're not looking for.

In the first one, the main character is basically a scientist with a lab and everything, dating a hipster artist chick, and there are communist bird people and nightmarish monsters and such.

>> No.6946950

What's your favorite sci-fi series that's currently ongoing?

>> No.6946968

>>6946941
>dating a hipster artist chick
lol
You mean dating a beetle.

>> No.6947091

Is the Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn series any good? I've heard its a bit cliche, but is it worth the read?

>> No.6947282
File: 96 KB, 600x338, True-Detective-Episode-1-Pic-3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

does anyone know the story about an anciente device that can answer any question in the universo so different species go ask something but the problema is that the machine cant answer because the questions are not complex enough?

>> No.6947400

Can anyone recommend some Glenn Cook that has zero romance?

>>6942527
>And why the fuck do people like Tattersail?
Who the fuck knows. I guess she was someone's waifu for lack of better options.

>My dad have all the Esslemont novels for some reason; are they any better?
Consensus is they're worse. If you didn't like Erikson's, you won't like Esslemont's.

If you want a fantasy adventure with the backdrop of a giant war, try Soldier of the Mist. It's about a mercenary in the Greco-Persian war with retrograde amnesia and a loli sidekick.

>> No.6947497

>>6946215
>Likes Sanderson's YA shlock
>Expecting me to take his recommendations seriously

>> No.6947544

Started reading Assassin's Apprentice since there seemed to be lots of praise for the series a few threads ago.

Holy fuck this cozy prose.

>> No.6947629

>>6946968
Little of both.

>> No.6947817
File: 40 KB, 295x475, cavern of black ice.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What are some criminally underrated fantasy that you love, /lit/?

>> No.6948004
File: 21 KB, 191x307, Last_Kingdom_uk-191x307.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

thinking about reading this, opinions?

>> No.6948711
File: 261 KB, 795x1200, twok_map-7_tower-webres.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6947497
I expect nothing else with a comment like that. Enjoy your colossal pile of loose ends and major plot points left unexplained, all with a forced and ridiculous romance plot because Simmons is a lazy author.

>> No.6949992

>>6948711
K

>> No.6950037

>>6947497
He is right, though. Book 2 is barely decent, 3 and 4... they're even worse. Even with no, its narrative somehow worsens.

I think the first book was so satisfying to read because of how the backstory narrative is put together into different chapter/monologues (and most people that read Hyperion are probably unfamiliar with the Myth, the poems, The Decameron and Canterbury Tales) and the present is confided to a cozy little scifi boat. In book 2 that structure is gone and as the plot develops and the scope of the worldview grows Simmons struggles to keep it all together and inserts this non-sense MC trying to solve everything.

>> No.6950062

Has anyone read any Vandermeer here? His Southern Reach trilogy feels a lot like The Thing meets Roadside Picnic.

>> No.6950175
File: 766 KB, 647x2941, screencapture-www-goodreads-com-list-show-22451-Science_Fiction_using_Languages_or_Linguistics_as_a_Plot_Device-1439107872089.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Anything on this list worth reading? Any other recommendations for the theme?

>> No.6950180

>>6912995
>implying Dumas isn't genre fiction

>> No.6950199

>>6950175
Neveryona series

>> No.6950224

>>6948004
>Richard Sharpe Goes to the Dark Ages

>> No.6950284
File: 38 KB, 444x380, 1438159485582.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>this is the most commented thread on /lit/

>> No.6950383

>>6950175
Can vouch for Snow Crash and 1984. Haven't read the rest.

>> No.6950402

>>6950284
It's like with /tv/ and GoT

>> No.6950554

>>6950284
>generals get more replies than single-question threads

wow what a surprise

>> No.6950956
File: 8 KB, 275x183, Stimpy booby hug.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6950284
If only the theists would do this!

Lit's sci-fi crowd confirmed for best posters. Congrats guys.

>> No.6951147

>>6950284
Books should be fun to read. There's literally nothing wrong with fantasy as a genre.

>> No.6951215

Is Ancillary Justice good? It's gotten all these awards but I don't trust them

>> No.6952076
File: 115 KB, 517x824, Egan- Quarantine.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just finished reading this. Gotta say, it was a very interesting ride.
Would any of you happen to know of any other stories with a focus on quantum mechanics?

>> No.6952259

>>6950284
Because it's been here for a while and it is a general so all of sf fantasy is discussed in one place, rather than 20 different 10 posts threads.
>>6950956
If only you could stop being a complete fucking retard!

>> No.6952623

>>6952076
haven't read it, but maybe The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi

>> No.6952750

>>6952623
I'll check it out. Thanks for the rec.

>> No.6952900
File: 122 KB, 502x720, WrinkleInTimePBA1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So for the Wrinkle in Time series, are the second generation O'Keefe books worth reading, or should I stick to the quintet?

>> No.6952982

>>6911429
>>6911835

I just finished the last book of the series and it's the worst this far.

>> No.6952995
File: 354 KB, 1400x2150, The Iron Ship.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Picked this up a couple weeks ago. Barely have time to read.

A few chapters in. So far it feels like the actual story revolves less around the (many, many) characters and more around the world itself.

>> No.6953425

>reading Stand on Zanzibar
>"She dropped gracefully on one knee and addressed his body with her mouth"

AYYYYYYY

>> No.6955013

>>6921332
>>6921314
>Bakker
>tfw Kellhus is almost like me
Why wasn't I brought up in a monastery where people was breeded and trained to be the perfect autists for some 2000 years?

>> No.6955242
File: 49 KB, 535x659, Saber 3.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6955013
>Kellhus is almost like me
Top fucking lel.

>> No.6956504

What's a good reading order for asimov? I read I, Robot and Foundation, and now I'm wondering if it would be best to continue with the foundation trilogy or to read the robot series first

>> No.6956660

>reading Stand on Zanzibar again
>having a good time, nearly done
>around page 520 and is another random plot line and then...
RANDOM INCESTUAL SEX
Seriously, what? This novel did not even hint at anything like this and then bam, here we go. Let me throw this at you. I was pretty taken back honestly. Did not fit the tone of the book. I actually think that was a pretty solid move on Brunner's part and I like to the addressing of social taboos but wow, just didn't see that coming at all. Very uneccessary and makes me wonder if Brunner struggled with this

>> No.6956732
File: 291 KB, 819x1076, August_Macke_-_Hans_Thuar.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6955013
>mfw Kellhus is basically Paul Atreides with magic powers and autism

>> No.6956860

>>6947817
NEVER

EVER

GOING TO BE FINISHED

>> No.6956877

>>6955013
>kellhus is almost like me

Akka who let you out of the cuckshed

>> No.6957022

Can anyone recommend me some sf or fantasy with a melancholy feel?

>> No.6957060

sorry if it has already been discussed but has anyone read The Forever War?

>> No.6957088

>>6955013
Kellhus wouldn't be bitching about what came before on 4chan. He's also not an autist. Being a stone cold asshole doesn't make him autistic. Especially since he can read people like a book.

>> No.6957096
File: 230 KB, 329x506, Starship_Troopers_Powered_Armor_(novel).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6957060
I have. I liked it, the time travel stuff was cool.

>> No.6957104
File: 17 KB, 217x225, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6955013
>non-Dunyain are nothing more than a game to me

>spend months at a time strategically planting ideas into Cnaiur's head, playing mind games

>get bored of someone after a while and move on to fucking his waifu but that's okay because Logos

>some people actually believe I care about them as people but the truth is I only use them to walk the shortest path

>> No.6957133

>>6957096
really? time travel plots are usually full of plotholes, which is the worst thing a scifi novel can have

>> No.6957143 [DELETED] 

>>6957022
Little Big

>> No.6957147

>>6957022
Little, Big
Gormenghast

>> No.6957223

>>6957022
Book of the Short Sun

>> No.6957224

>>6957133
It centers around time dilation.

>> No.6957427

>>6957104
goodbye sides

>> No.6957437

Seveneves was SHIT

FUCK THAT BOOK

>> No.6957708

>>6957437
What was so bad about it?
This isn't the first time I've heard people were disappointed with it.

>> No.6957973

What's some great sci fi/fantasy from the past 10 years whose setting has its own fiction cuisine (that's food porn and not dystopia rations)

>> No.6957984

>>6957708
Disappointment is an understatement.

Its basically current day earth set 5000 years in the cuture.

>> No.6958139

>>6957973
I always wanted to try melange coffee from Dune.

>> No.6958198

>>6911835
Holden was a fucking idiot, hated the book because of him.

>> No.6958246
File: 295 KB, 653x969, barlowe_sargatanas.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6921331
>Barlowe
That's almost cheating.

>> No.6958263
File: 35 KB, 683x355, 1435201535132.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Start reading a Science Fiction book
>It uses the imperial system of measurement instead of metric

>> No.6958377

>>6958198
holden did nothing wrong

>> No.6958721

>>6958198
Holden was an idealistic, slightly impulsive Earther. "Idiot" is unfair.

>> No.6958738

>>6916024
The whole thing with Havelock being the victim of racism and transferring away was really sad.

>> No.6958984

NEW THREAD

>>6958982
>>6958982
>>6958982

NEW THREAD