[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 16 KB, 200x302, go set a watchman.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6615281 No.6615281 [Reply] [Original]

What did /lit/ think of Go Set a Watchman?

>> No.6615301

>>6615281
it hasn't been published yet

>> No.6615303

>>6615281
>author's name is bigger than the title

I can tell its shit already.

>> No.6615305

>>6615303
>shitposting greentexts

I can tell you're a retard.

>> No.6615316

>>6615281
I mean, it wasn't as good as To Kill a Mockingbird, it makes you appreciate how important the point of view of Scout as a child was to that book. The writing with Scout being older just doesn't work as well.

>> No.6615504

>>6615316
So are we going to do an entire thread pretending we've read it?

Why not, every other /lit/ thread does it.

>> No.6615527

I didn't like the ending when Scout asked when racism would be over and Boo Radley replied "Go set a watch...man."

>> No.6616774

>Don't you know, Scout
>Its a crime to walk in to the jewelers hand him your timepiece and tell him "Go Set a Watch, man."

0/10

>> No.6616782

I've fallen for this Harper guy's tricks twice now!
First time I read four hundred pages and never find out how to kill a mockingbird which went on to die of old age.
This time, I read it all and never got told how to set policemen on fire.
FUCKING FRAUD~
I'm really looking forward to it.

>> No.6617004

>>6615281

More like, go set a watchman outside Harper Lee's room so she doesn't get elder abused by her agent.

>> No.6617084

Coming in 2017: 3 Kill 3 Mockingbird

Followed by a reboot in 2019.

>> No.6617166
File: 332 KB, 596x628, 1431261948367.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>6617084

>> No.6617173

>>6617084
kek

>> No.6617335

>>6615281

>there are grown adults who are excited about this book and pre-ordering it
>this book will make the most money of any book this summer
>people who only read YA will read it and love it and think they're reading something other than YA

why are we all pretending that Mockingbird is a good book? are you sure you guys belong here?

>> No.6617339

>A new excerpt from the book, courtesy of HuffPo.

(1/2)

"Daddy, I'm home from New York City, bastion of equality, with a college education and a new attitude on race."

Looking up from his newspaper, Atticus said, "Now, Scout, I may defend a negro in court from time to time but only if I don't have to see them much. Segregation suits us Southerners just fine."

"No, daddy, there's a new way of doing things," said Scout, shaking her head. "Those Yankees have it all figured out. You see, in the North, they aren't racist anymore! They invented these things called ghettos."

"Ghettos? Why, I was just reading about those in this here newspaper!" exclaimed Atticus.

Scout closed her eyes and nodded. "Ghettos are places where blacks aren't legally forced to live, but they wind up there anyway thanks to jobs, housing costs, and discrimination in white neighborhoods."

"The government doesn't have to enforce racist policies and look bad?" asked Atticus, clearly interested, as he shifted forward in his seat.

"No, daddy, that's the point! The Northerners have the moral highground when talking about Southerners and they still don't have to look at black people. It's wonderful! There is an amazing place in New York City called Harlem. All of the blacks live there. They beat one another, shoot one another, drink, use drugs, join gangs, and the cops don't even have to come around! The children go to third-rate schools and that's okay because it's based on taxes, not a concerted effort of the government. The blacks don't have a chance. Don't even get me started on these new 'public housing projects.' The government wants to use this post-WW2 boom to construct housing for the poor on the pretense of charity, even though the money won't last forever and they will really serve and a means of consolidating blacks and moving them off of prime real estate that can be used for economic development!"

"Scout, I must say..." Atticus covered his face with his hand. Tear drops fell and stained his wool pants.

>> No.6617340

>>6617339
(2/2)

Scout walked over to Atticus and started to rub his back with her right hand.

"Daddy, are you okay? Don't feel so bad about being a racist inbred piece of white trash. I'm not judging you with my Northern liberal education. You don't know any better."

"No, my beautiful daughter, it's not that. This new way of doing things sounds so wonderful. I think we should both make it out life's mission to end segregation and institute ghettos. We can start with St. Louis!" Atticus stood up from his chair and looked out the window as he imagined a new life for Southerners, free of guilt but fearful of home invasions.

"Oh, daddy, I am so glad you understand!" Scout embraced her father around the neck and kissed his cheek. "I have someone to introduce you to."

The screen door swung open and in walked a rodent-like creature. Its skin was an opaque yellow, a large nose rose like a mountain between two small shiny black eyes, and two curly locks of hair fell messily along either side of its face. It wore a large flat brimmed hat and a black cloak crudely covered its twisted and misshapen body. It stuck out its clawed hand.

"Feivel Kuntsler, attorney-at-law, at your service. For a price, of course, but you're mishpocheh now so I'll give you a discount."

"Daddy, this is my new husband. He's a real mentsh. We already have all the plans drawn up and I already called all of the local ministers. We march tomorrow!"

"Feh!" spit Feivel. "We'll show those racist shmendriks the error of their ways, especially concerning Antisemitism!"

"Darn right!" giggled Scout. She looked at her watch. "Oh! Look at the time! We really must get going across the tracks."

"Why?" asked Atticus.

"Feivel made an arrangement with a local black bull. He's going to fill me up with nine inches of black pipe! I need a good breeding."

"The blacks know how to pleasure women!" exclaimed Feivel. "I don't care much for intercourse myself. I prefer the company of Presidents." He pulled a wad of bills out of his pocket, held them up to his nose, and took a deep breath. Feivel shuddered with pleasure as he exhaled.

Atticus's eyes got wide with amazement. He had imagined white women being defiled by black men ever since his famous court case. He turned to Scout with a smile on his face.

"Can I watch?"

"Certainly, daddy," said Scout, giggling once again. She grabbed Atticus and Feivel by the waste and the trio walked out of the house. They started their journey to the place where Scout's big black bull was waiting to split her pussy in two.

FIN

>> No.6617344

>>6617339

This is one of the only things from this site that has ever made me laugh. Thank you.

>> No.6617348

>>6617335
Harold Bloom, the objective mediator of literature, likes To Kill a Mockingbird

>> No.6617353

>>6617348

Harold Bloom is also shit though

>> No.6617361

Genuinely excited. I had to study TKAMB for English Lit class. Granted, other than the court scenes and Racism focused parts, it was shit-tier, hopefully the new book will have all the annoying characters like Boo dead and we can actually focus on Southern attitudes to blacks.

>> No.6617494

>>6617361
From what I read, its a prequel.

>> No.6617525

>>6617494
It's a sequel. The new book was originally written first but then the publishers asked her to write a prequel t it (TKAMB).

>> No.6617819

>>6617525
I believe it contains substantial flashbacks to Scout's childhood that the publishers persuaded Lee to rework into a new novel.

>> No.6618242

>>6617339
oh my god ahahhaha

>> No.6618269

>>6615281

The only thing I can compare to this is (strangely) Ender's Game and Speaker for the Dead where the latter was also thought of first and then the first was written as background, but ended up the becoming far more famous.

If that case is anything to go by, though I'm probably infuriating some people here for using genre fiction as a reference, Go Set a Watchman is going to be the quieter, more profound, but lesser known book.

I'm kind of excited, actually. I'm not American so I read Mockingbird (and watched the great movie) just a few years ago, and I thought it was a perfect, little masterpiece to be honest.

I'm slightly worried it's going to be a sloppy first try, or consists of too many childhood remembrances so that it feels more like a proto-Mockingbird, but I don't think Harper Lee would want to publish it if that was the case. AFAIK upon rereading she was surprised how well it stood alone.

>> No.6618323

>>6618269

Wait, not on her initiative after all ... I wonder where I got that from. At least she's seemingly consented to it http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/friend-harper-lee-was-fine-the-day-before-sequel-announced/ar-AA94OzL

>> No.6619606

>>6615527
hilarious

>> No.6620159

>>6617335
While To Kill A Mockingbird isn't the best book it's still enjoyable to me. I think the "A book has to be pure literary genius" to be read and enjoyed is such a shitty way to think.

>> No.6620177

>>6617348
He didn't like Infinite Jest;
Therefore, I disregard every other opinion he may happen to have

>> No.6620190

>>6617340

/pol/ pls leave

>> No.6620312

>>6617340
>>6617339
absolutely 10/10

>> No.6620623