[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 38 KB, 428x270, ecioran.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
6004861 No.6004861 [Reply] [Original]

My god, Cioran is fucking fantastic. One of the best /lit/ recommendations I've gotten. I often see him mentioned in the same breath as Ligotti, is he equally good?

Every page is just sprinkled with nuggets of pure gold, every page spurs notes and underlining.

>Once I had a "self"; now I am no more than an object

>Poetry is bastardized when it becomes permeable to prophecy or to doctrine: “mission” smothers music, idea shackles inspiration. Shelly’s “generous” aspect cripples most of his work; Shakespeare, by a stroke of luck, never “served” anything.

>Since it is difficult to approve the reasons people invoke, each time we leave one of our fellow men, the question which comes to mind is invariably the same: how does he keep from killing himself?

>Suppose we force ourselves to see to the bottom of words? We see nothing—each of them, detached from the expansive and fertile soul, being null and void. The power of the intelligence functions by projecting a certain luster upon them, by polishing them and making them glitter; this power, erected into a system, is called culture—pyrotechnics against a night sky of nothingness.)

>The sciences prove our nothingness. But who has grasped their ultimate teaching? Who has become a hero of total sloth? No one folds his arms: we are busier than the ants and the bees. Yet if an ant, if a bee—by the miracle of an idea or by some temptation of singularity— were to isolate herself in the anthill or the hive, if she contemplated from outside the spectacle of her labors, would she still persist in her pains?

>If all those we have killed in thought were to disappear for good, the earth would be depopulated.

>Every period's ending is the mind's paradise.

>If Jesus had ended his career upon the Cross, if he had not been committed to resuscitation—-what a splendid tragic hero! His divine aspect has cost literature an admirable subject.

>The pride of a conqueror pales beside the ostentation of a believer who addresses himself to the Creator. How can one dare so much? And how could modesty be a virtue of temples, when a decrepit old woman who imagines Infinity within reach

>> No.6004861,1 [INTERNAL] 

>>6004861
yea he is gr8

>> No.6004901

>If Jesus had ended his career upon the Cross, if he had not been committed to resuscitation—-what a splendid tragic hero! His divine aspect has cost literature an admirable subject.
pretty deep m8

>> No.6004907

>>6004861
>Every page is just sprinkled with nuggets of pure gold, every page spurs notes and underlining.
Yes. Cioran is about the best argument for physical books. Kindle started bucking thirdway through due to the number of highlights and notes.

>> No.6004908

The more glowing the review, the more repulsed I am by the idea of ever picking up the book.

>> No.6004916

>>6004861

>The sciences prove our nothingness

Getting very continental in here... disgusting

>> No.6004923

>>6004861
Ligotti is embarrassingly bad and nowhere near the level of Cioran, though he probably imagines himself to be when the IBS isn't driving him mad.

>> No.6004931

These passages are supposed to be good, right?

>> No.6004932

I read a Ligotti book last year when he was briefly popular on /lit/. It sucked.

>> No.6004966

same breath as ligotti?

he's pretty well above and beyond ligotti in everything

>> No.6004968

>The sciences prove our nothingness. But who has grasped their ultimate teaching?

>The sciences prove our nothingness. But who has grasped their ultimate teaching?

>> No.6005016

Any input on this one? I don't get it.

>A nineteenth—century philosopher maintained, in his innocence, that La Rochefoucauld was right for the past, but that he would be invalidated by the future. The idea of progress dishonors the intellect.
/
>Un philosophe du siècle dernier a soutenu, dans sa candeur, que La Rochefoucauld avait raison pour le passé, mais qu’il serait infirmé par l’avenir. L’idée de progrès déshonore l’intellect.

>> No.6005019

Was this guy a professional quote maker?

>> No.6005022

>>6005019
he was a professional memer

>> No.6005025

>>6004861
Ligotti is pleb tier compared to Emilio.

>> No.6005034

>>6005019
I believe the technical term is "quotesmith".

>> No.6005045

It's seems rather edgy when you list it like that.

Most of them are flowery clichés though.
But on the other hand... what isn't? (You see?)

>> No.6006347

Wheres a good place to start with Cioran?

>> No.6006363

>>6004931
Heh. This.

>> No.6006364

>>6005019
He mostly wrote aphorisms.

>> No.6006396

Damn, that's some pretty pretentious bullshit right there, OP.

>> No.6006433

>>6006396

cioran is catnip for young depressed aesthetes.

he just like, gets them, you know?

>> No.6006457

>>6006396
Not enough super-special, world-saving teenage heroines for you?

>> No.6006481

>>6006457

says the super-special, world-shattering literati antipode

if you like cioran's work then just like his work why does every manboy fan of his insist on being the most desperate pseudo at all times it's like a stereotype with you idiots

cioran also hated young people like you who read his work and fanboy'd too much over it he thought you were all laughable fools trying to seem older than your years out of naive presumptuousenss