[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 90 KB, 478x600, 000000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5953166 No.5953166 [Reply] [Original]

Hey /lit/

Are there any tips in helping a reader remember a specific thing earlier on in a novel? How do you tell a reader to remember this scene/line/description because it's relevant later in the story?

To be more specific:

I've got a riddle at let's say 5% in of a novel, the main character believes he's solved it, and it isn't mentioned again until ~80% in, when it's solved. The riddle is told and 'solved' in maybe 50 words max. How can I emphasize the fact that it's important early on, especially when I practically discard it?

>> No.5953283

Have the character take a gun off the wall and start firing it wildly into the air while he discusses the important thing in question

It's called chekhem

>> No.5953389
File: 218 KB, 450x498, CheckEm(1) - The act of checking doubles[a] in the imageboard 4chan[a]When the last two numbers of the post number are the same.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5953166
You don't do that. You make it important and revisit it at some point. You might also tie it to an important scene so people end up remembering it by association.

Also, pic related

>> No.5953450

>>5953389
Alright, but how do I make it important to the point that it's remembered? especially so early on?