[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 535 KB, 204x223, man ofsteel.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5949617 No.5949617 [Reply] [Original]

I want to read Hegel. Must I read Kant beforehand? I don't take much interest in the empiricism vs rationalism pissing context.

>> No.5949637

No, dive right in. Just be familiar with what transcendental idealism entails and what Kant's antinomies are. Hegel moves beyond both.

>> No.5949662

Kant is the end of the empiricism vs. rationalism context, plebbo. He settled the argument by showing you need both.

And no, you don't need Kant, but I strongly suggest you do read Kant and Berkeley, along with the pre-Socratics. And you should start with the Science of Logic, since Hegel defines most of his terms in that.

>> No.5949663

yes

>> No.5949741

>>5949662
>end of the empiricism vs. rationalism context

Uhh, no. Newtonian physics and euclidean geometry aren't imposed onto reality by our minds, so Kant's synthetic distinction from analytic doesn't hold.

>> No.5949945

>>5949662
>And you should start with the Science of Logic
What are you basing this on? I'm just curious because on the one hand people usually say that one should start with phenomenology but on the other hand he begins his encyclopedia with the science of logic.
Also, how could of a summary of phenomenology of spirit is in the encyclopedia?

>> No.5950517

>>5949662
Where can I buy a good edition of the Science of Logic? The Prometheus books edition sold on Amazon is reputed to have an utterly atrocious binding.

>> No.5950680

>>5949741
>Newtonian physics and euclidean geometry aren't imposed onto reality by our minds
We can't know if it is or isn't. The synthetic-analytic is a false dichotomy.

>> No.5951045

>>5949945
It's as decent as it can be, but since the Science of Logic covers Hegel's extremely sophisticated new method of logic, which he applies in all his work, it's best to read the Science of Logic itself.

Phenomenology of the Mind (spirit, whichever translation you prefer) is definitely the best thing to read second. Then the Philosophy of Right, then the Philosophy of History.

Work your way from micro to macro: reasoning system; individual Geist; class and state Geists; age Geists. Those four titles cover those subjects.