[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 454x566, nietzsche.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5323793 No.5323793[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

Aside from Schopenhauer, who were the biggest influences on Nietzsche's philosophy?

>> No.5323801

>>5323793
spinoza

>> No.5323804

possibly Stirner

>> No.5323805

>>5323801
And Heraclitus.

>> No.5323850
File: 19 KB, 335x500, lange and nietzsche.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

heavily influenced by friedrich albert lange's critical history of materialism, all documented here

>> No.5323857

the greeks

>> No.5323858

What >>5323801 and >>5323805 said. Nietzsche described Spinoza as "his precedessor" and didn't criticised Heraclitus as he did with virtually every other philosopher.

Also if you read the De Rerum Natura, Lucretius' description of Epicurus, that man who has the courage to go against the "empia religio" freeing the Mankind, isn't that far from Nietzsche's Zarathustra. I don't know if Nietzsche read the DRN (probably yes), surely Spinoza did and he was influenced by Lucretius.

>> No.5323870

>>5323858
One should add that Nietzsche uses some of Heraclitus ideas (polemos ie battle/play) and tricks (confronting the reader with disconcerting and sometimes contradictory views to provoke him into thought).

>> No.5323881

>>5323804
I think he never mentioned him because the TOO MUCH influence he had from him.

>> No.5323883

>>5323793
Wasnt Stirner a small influence? Its debated

>> No.5323890

>>5323881
Stirner hates the king and stronger men and comes up with a pretty leftist (yet egoistical left) thought out of his works. He is basically everything morbid about philosophy, containing the whole world within this hegelian view; when he says that freedom and God are their own goals, he derives in a synthetic way this quality to apply it to himself and contains the whole of reality within this system, he is literally the most degenerate of the degenerate systematic Germans that Nietzsche despised. He basically is pure concentrated no chemicals added no sweetener will to nothingness. Nietzsche is the opposite, and if he read Stirner, he must have hated it.

>> No.5323893

>>5323870
Actually Heraclitus took these from the Sophists. As Nietzsche's aim was to destroy ("zerstoren" in German, thus the name of Zarathustra) the old "idola", it was naturally from him to have a similar approch as the older sophists (who destroyed pre-Socratic view of Philosophy, particularly Parmenides' one).

>> No.5323897

>>5323793
Misinterpreted Hegel. *ayoo*

>> No.5323898

Syphilis

>> No.5323899

>>5323897
Like everybody did (except Hegel himself. Maybe.)

>> No.5323900

>>5323893
>I chose Zarathustra because Zarathustra was the first in mankind's history to invent morality and thus should be the first to understand his mistake
>he chose Zarathustra cuz it sounds like zerstoren
srsly m8

>> No.5323928

>>5323900
I didn't say that was the ONLY reason. Nietzsche's Germany was a post-romantic one, and he was influenced by romantic culture. The Romanticism put a great deal on how the words sounded. See Novalis' "Blaue Blume" and the repetition of "bl" and "u" for example. Nietzsche's himself did that, choosing "Zarathustra" (who "zerstort" the ancient idola) and saying "Gott ist tot" ("t" is a hard sound, every "t" here is violent reaction to God).

>> No.5323943

>>5323928
How about he wanted to say God is dead and there's no other way to say it?

"Gott ist gestorben" really, from my basic German skills, not the usual way to say it.

>> No.5323950

>>5323943
I lack a verb in there

>> No.5323955

“I am utterly amazed, utterly enchanted! I have a precursor, and what a precursor! I hardly knew Spinoza: that I should have turned to him just now, was inspired by “instinct.” Not only is his overtendency like mine—namely to make all knowledge the most powerful affect—but in five main points of his doctrine I recognize myself; this most unusual and loneliest thinker is closest to me precisely in these matters: he denies the freedom of the will, teleology, the moral world-order, the unegoistic, and evil. Even though the divergencies are admittedly tremendous, they are due more to the difference in time, culture, and science. In summa: my lonesomeness, which, as on very high mountains, often made it hard for me to breathe and make my blood rush out, is now at least a twosomeness. Strange! Incidentally, I am not at all as well as I had hoped. Exceptional weather here too! Eternal change of atmospheric conditions!—that will yet drive me out of Europe! I must have clear skies for months, else I get nowhere. Already six severe attacks of two or three days each!! — With affectionate love, Your friend”
– Friedrich Nietzsche, in a postcard to Franz Overbeck, Sils-Maria, July 30, 1881

>> No.5323983

>>5323943
I have no proof of what I'm saying (and we can't ask Nietzsche :) ), but having studied the german Romanticism (reading some of those works in their original language) I'm lead to believe that Nietzsche's -like the Romantics- cared about the sound of the words he used. Surely he was a son of Romantic culture (the famos passage "Wir Philosophen und freien Geister fühlen uns bei der Nachricht, dass der alte Gott tot ist..." is full of romantic images).

>> No.5323995

>>5323793
>The testimony of Dostoevski is relevant to this problem — Dostoevski,
the only psychologist, incidentally, from whom I had something to learn; he ranks
among the most beautiful strokes of fortune in my life, even more than my discovery
of Stendhal. This profound human being, who was ten times right in his low estimate
of the superficial Germans, lived for a long time among the convicts in Siberia —
hardened criminals for whom there was no way back to society — and found them
very different from what he himself had expected: they were carved out of just about
the best, hardest, and most valuable wood that grows anywhere on Russian soil.

>> No.5324061

>>5323900
Aren't we talking about Karl-Heinz Nietzsche, the great pioneer of Soundsalotlikeism?

>> No.5324160

Heraclitus.

Nietzsche started with the greeks. In fact got himself a full chair at 24 because he started with the greeks.

>> No.5324166

>>5323890
Stirner is possibly one of the least resentful people in the history of philosophy. There's no hate in his philosophy. I doubt he even hated anyone as a person, judging from his biography. He certainly didn't hate the strong, he basically adheres to a might is right approach to property.

To say he represents a will to nothingness is even more silly. He does away with all otherworldliness, all ideology and takes pleasure in actual concrete existence without any need for window dressing, for anything other than life itself. He's the opposite of the priests and death persuaders.

Nietzsche didn't hate Stirner, he secretly admired him. And when he name dropped him accidentally to his friends he urged them to silence because he didn't want any claims of plagiarism.