[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 12 KB, 560x407, 1401477014572.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
5166320 No.5166320[DELETED]  [Reply] [Original]

What do you guys think of Goodreads? Is it useful? Is it total crap?

>> No.5166327

i use it to keep track of what i've read just as a matter of curiosity

i've never used it for anything past that & the auto-generated recommendations

it is functional, that is really the only opinion i have about it.

>> No.5166329

Your best source for recommendations and reviews is someone whose taste you know is similar to yours and whose judgement you trust.

>> No.5166334

useful if you're a teenage girl who reads YA

>> No.5166342
File: 43 KB, 400x400, 1403549935840.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>5166329

I don't have many friends, and I wouldn't trust them to recommend me shit.

>> No.5166357

Thee community and reviews are utter trash, just make an excel document to log the books you read, m8

>> No.5166359

I thought it was cool when it first came around because it was the only literature community I knew of other than the online-literature.com forums. When I was a weak, spineless idiot I would dismiss books that didn't get at least four stars (similar to how I would avoid albums that got less than four stars on AMG).

But now I never go on it (other than to stalk my ex-gf's 'to-read' list and feel better about myself), though it is good for helping fulfill that odd, almost monkey-like urge to "keep track" of books you read.

>> No.5166364

>>5166327
Pretty much this. It tracks what I've read, and I go back to old ratings to see if my opinion has changed much. I also use it as a list of things I want/ need to read. It's handy.

If anyone wants another contact there, I'm leon14344.

>> No.5166367

I mostly use it for my own benefit (keeping track of books I've read and ratings I've given them). The reviews are occasionally interesting, but 99.9% of them are functionally worthless.

The "Recommendations" function is continuously a letdown.

>> No.5166419

Goodreads is for insecure Mensa types who can't have a good nights sleep without showing off how well read they are to everyone else. It's a website with no purpose other than showing off.

>It's a good way to find book recommendations.
No. Amazon dot com has a better recommendation system. Even then there are so many fucking books out there, classic and contemporary, that you should literally have no problem finding something somewhere that interests you.
>It's a good way to keep track of what I've read.
No. Use a notepad, you attention whore.

>> No.5168427

>>5166419
>you attention whore.
I have no friends on Goodreads, I don't make progress updates or reviews.
When I finish a book I set it to finished on Goodreads.

You people saying "use a notepad" and "use excel" are hiding from a non-existant problem. I never interact with the community. It's merely an archive tool. An easy to use, nice looking archive tool that's easily accessed online without any work of mine.

The second use I have for it is when I'm at a book store or the library and I see a book (or books) I'd like to read later, but I'm not getting it right now. I use the Goodreads Android App which lets me scan books and add them directly to my To Read list.

>> No.5168443

Like so many others here, I use it as a complicated way to track what I read and want to read. Not that it matters to anyone, it barely matters to me. I'm not sure why I do this, and I don't care why I do it. Just some sort of thing I do. Why? Who cares.

>> No.5168454

>>5166320
>>5166364

does it have kindle integration?

>> No.5168461

>>5168427
This.

You're not showing off if you've set your profile to max-privacy settings; people can't even see your ratings then.

>> No.5168496

>>5166419
Wow, you are a faggot.

To have a goodreads account and update your books on there is fine. To read reviews on it is fine. To post reviews on it is fine.

Do you ever talk to people about anything? or is that attention whoring to you aswell? Just showing off?

>muh I'm so deep because I don't use goodreads, I'm all about private notepads, fucking attention whores everywhere having fun and interacting with fellow human beans! fuck them!

>> No.5168500

>>5166320
I've got a profile on there. Every once in a while I check what I've read so I can quickly remember what the books were about, almost to re-read them quickly.