[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 29 KB, 600x300, 000.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
3973344 No.3973344 [Reply] [Original]

I was born in West Philadelphia. It was here where I spent most of my days relaxing on the playgrounds where we would "chill out," "max out," and "relax all cool" in the parlance of our times, and play basketball, the jeux d'esprit of the black inner city. One fateful day, however, a pair of hooligans was terrorizing our neighbourhood, their bojangles glistening in the warm summer sun. They were up to no good. What resulted was a lone "little fight" in which I was spun around repeatedly on the shoulders of a larger man, but its implications would reach far into my future. It was the turning point of my life.

Unsurprisingly, my mother became scared. I could see the tension in her eyes, an aging pensioner who had lived through the civil rights movement confronting the reality of sending away her only child. Mustering all the courage she could, her hands shaking with arthritis, Martin Luther King staring out at me from behind his faded framed print on the wall, she uttered the words that will echo in my mind until I draw my last breath:

"You're moving with your auntie and uncle in Bel-Air."

I was devastated. Collecting myself, I whistled for a taxi. When it approached, I saw a cliché dice on the mirror, determining the car to be a rarity: camp was not something we saw often in the projects. But I thought to myself, "nah, forget it," cried "yo-ho, to Bel-Air!" and was off on the transcontinental journey that would forever define me as a human being.

>> No.3973347
File: 261 KB, 300x306, applauseriker.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3973344

Frederick Douglas couldn't have said it better himself.

>> No.3973358

>>3973344
I thought it was "good" to "very good" via "excellent"

Maybe try and "work" harder on the "dialogue"

>> No.3973362

>>3973358
It's not dialogue if there isn't more than one voice.

Beautiful, OP. I cried. Please, post this again during Black History Month. You are so strong.

>> No.3973387

>>3973358
>I thought it was "good" to "very good" via "excellent"
god damn it. is it already a meme?

>> No.3973828
File: 31 KB, 460x276, my personal nigga 'will'.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

My birth took place in Philadelphia. In its west, I spent my early years of youth in pure pursuit of knowledge and perfection of thought, which was very difficult in my case and I have foolishly spent most of my afternoons in the playground. Even though I rarely participated in games, I did enjoy the observance of other mortals performing their rituals there while I sat down and had my tea.
I never cared about school, despite my lust for knowledge, as I have thought that its ways of teaching was irrational and doesn’t determine how intelligent or how wide your horizon of thought is; it only emphasized on how much you study the subjects they want you to. Daily classes were merely about filling one’s head with nonsense of middle-aged psychologically disturbed men’s false conceptions concerning life and its course. Hence, my attitude concerning academic success was purely indifferent.
Even though I remained a calm and pacifistic nature, I had to, inevitably, take participants in actions that a lot of mentally-stable individuals would consider immoral or even ‘not humane’. My lust for physical contact remained consistent; I had to suffice the urges from time to time. I did so through fighting with a couple men that were obnoxiously ignorant and disgustingly egotistical, undeservedly. The men were clearly not looking for inner-peace and satisfaction; I could see it in their clothes. But, it helped me develop several hypotheses concerning human behavior and direct motives behind them.
When these incidental conflicts were to increase in numbers, my mother decided to do something concerning my case and accept the belief that the environment surrounding me was too negative and was affecting me badly. However, I was too detached to be affected by one environment or another.
As I stood there in the busy streets of Philadelphia waiting for a cab to pick me up, I sighed and gave my family a look of farewell.
My attitude changed as time passed in the cab. I discovered that I am looking at a brighter future; I am going to become bigger. Bel-air is one of the most prestigious places I know of, and I was somehow excited, yet reluctant, to meet my aunty and uncle there. It was bound to happen and I had prepared well for my new life. My future is bright, though the colour isn’t very clear, its brightness in inevitable.
The cab pulled over. “Later!” I sighed to my driver as he drove past me. I am looking now at the future, and it sure is bright!

>> No.3973840
File: 112 KB, 879x553, the fresh prince of pain.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>3973344

>> No.3974127

>>3973358
Almost as good as OP's

>> No.3974137

>>3973344
It's shit but a good try

>> No.3974152

>>3973828
I like you.

>> No.3974157

>not quoting "summertime"