[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 190 KB, 939x1427, 12111823.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23144570 No.23144570 [Reply] [Original]

>After he finished A Dance with Dragons GRRM had about 200 leftover pages that would have been the climax of the book but had to be cut so to the books already massive size
>GRRM estimates that he has between 1,100-1,200 pages finished with about 400-500 remaining

How the actual fuck does it take you 12 years to write 900-1000 pages of what is supposed to be your masterpiece and it’s not even done by now?

If it’s supposed to be 1,500 pages and he started with 200 he could have been writing at a rate of a little over 100 pages a day and been done by now, what the fuck is going on here?

>> No.23144575

>>23144570
>If it’s supposed to be 1,500 pages and he started with 200 he could have been writing at a rate of a little over 100 pages a day and been done by now
I'll say! At that pace, he could've written hundreds of books by now!

>> No.23144576

Cause he has no real motivation to finish it. Series has already made him as rich as it is ever going to make him without him having to finish the books. The TV show is all wrapped up and soured a lot of people on the entire brand. Sure he could try to correct the record by publishing his version of events but why bother?

>> No.23144579

>>23144575
100 pages a year I mean

>> No.23144582

>>23144576
>Cause he has no real motivation to finish it
What about his legacy?

>> No.23144591

>>23144570
It’s better unfinished. The fan theories are what makes the series more interesting

>> No.23144593
File: 82 KB, 600x595, IMG_3555.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23144570
It’s taken me five years to write 6800 words

>> No.23144621

>>23144570
Do you guys think Jamie and Brienne will have a baby

>> No.23144659

>>23144621
I hope Jaime gets a happy ending but realistically I think he’ll die unfortunately

>> No.23144667

ASoIAF was so exciting back in the day, but if you haven't totally disowned it and become a proud ex-fan you are as much of a perpetual manchild as Gurm is. I'll never regret getting into it though because I find it fascinating how Gurm simultaneously proved himself right in his comments about how he did some things better than Tolkien while ultimately being hilariously btfo by failing to understand him. The marvelously flesh-out political intrigue is a much more interesting premise than LoTR, but the half-assed attempt to throw an ancient evil awakening in and his inability to be concise has doomed the fat bastard to a legacy of failure and mediocrity.

>> No.23144834

>>23144570
It’s an exhausting world to write. You have too many factions, too much going on, too much history, and too much mystery. It’s easy to write shit and then find it’s in conflict with something you said about some random member of some family from 3 generations ago.

>> No.23145011

>>23144576
The real reason is the Meereenese Knot. He has no way of getting Dany out of Meereen without making an allegorical political statement he fundamentally disagrees with.

>> No.23145114

>>23144593
Well I assume they are some of the most magnificent pages yet written. May we read them?

>> No.23145117

When it comes out, I'll skim a summary of the Stannis plotline, nod to myself in quiet resignation and never think about the series again.

>> No.23145124

>>23145011
>He has no way of getting Dany out of Meereen without making an allegorical political statement he fundamentally disagrees with.
wym?

>> No.23145128

>>23144667
He literally started the series with a scene showing supernatural snow-faerie things (the Others) so he began it obviously intending to create a fantasy epic — but when he got into the intrigues and mortal characters, only to occasionally bring magic bullshit into it again and again and NEVER to settle the matter. I think he was writing as he went and eventually ran out of motivation to keep going since he lost whatever vision he might have had before. I’m sure his health contributed greatly to losing the will to continue.

>> No.23145156

>>23145114
No they suck. And I threw out 40k words because I never finished stories until my last one. And then I go back a year later and the rhythm is gone

>> No.23145246
File: 92 KB, 500x483, 3npc9r.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23145128
>When it comes out

>> No.23145806

>>23145124
>Dany solves the Meerenese situation more or less and leaves it in a good situation before moving on to Westeros
This implies foreign intervention is a good thing and can work when originally he included it as a critique of the Iraq war.
>Dany fails to solve the situation and basically gives up and moves on to Westeros, leaving the Bay in the hands of the slavers or totally destroyed
This implies it was a mistake for her to attempt to end slavery in the first place and it would have been the better option to leave them to their slaving practices in peace.

>> No.23145810

>>23145806
>it would have been the better option to leave them to their slaving practices in peace
If the slavers take it back, yes, that would be the case.
You can destabilize a society for the better only if you are willing to stay and sort things out properly afterwards, unrest for unrest's sake only leads to bloodshed

>> No.23145821

>>23144570
He writes by peck typing in an ancient word processor, I doubt he manages a paragraph per day

>> No.23145831

>>23144667
Why do people make it seem like the others and the dragons are unimportant to asoiaf? The magic in the series is what the books are founded on. It’s clear that the ending of the series will be heavily more focused on magic playing a role. The glass candle lighting showing magic is coming back into the world showed this. It’s why Melisandres shadow magic is so unfamiliar. Asoiaf is a world that is very mundane becoming over the course of the series more magical and fantastical. This is the opposite of lotr which is about a magical fantastical world becoming mundane. What has caused the magic aspects of the series to not come out as of yet is due to the series dragging on for too long. The last two books were not even meant to be books. So the mundane aspect of the series has not faded away yet. But if the next two books come out, the series will start to look like a typical high fantasy series.

>> No.23145833

It's been discussed to death. He introduced too many plot threads and ended up with characters to far apart to plausibly get where they need to be for his outlined ending. He's also too old and fat to have the energy to work everything out now so he hasn't progressed in years. He'll die with Winds unfinished, the 2/3rds of it he wrote might get published by his widow or might get deleted which he said wants to happen if he croaks. The rest can only be speculatively pieced together from the TV show and his foreshadowing.

>> No.23145835

>>23145831
Yeah I've seen a lot of people with this "asoiaf is not really fantasy" narrative, but since book one we have ice zombies, dragons, prophecies, then in the second book melisandre gives birth to a fucking murderous shadow.

>> No.23145845

>>23145833
>the 2/3rds of it he wrote might get published by his widow
Nah, they'll have Brandon Sanderson finish it

>> No.23145849

>>23145806
I can't imagine Dany leaving Mereen in a tip-top shape after her RIDE THE DRAGON SQUAT IN GRASS arc. She is riding Drogon, eating raw meat, taking leadership of Dothraki again, planning to release Rhaegal and Viserion from the pyramids. The arc here is that she is done talking, compromising, gentle-politicking and apologizing for children burned alive by her dragons - she is coming to terms with the fact that she is the dragon, and dragons die in captivity. Her conclusion would be that the only thing she did wrong in Astapor was not burning every adult male from that city alive, master or slave - and she won't repeat that mistake again in Mereen, so she'll burn the Yunkish army, burn Hizdahr zo Loraq without trial, order Skahaz and the Unsullied to slaughter every man in Mereen who is not a shavepate, and leave the smouldering remains of the city to Skahaz while she strides defiantly west to claim her desttiny. I also suspect she'll literally rape Daario to prove her point while simultaneously do that emasculation of womanizing badasses thing gurrm loves.

This would still serve the allegory of "ending slavery good", but also double down on the anti-war sentiment with the idea of those saviors who try to fix the world end up becoming the most terrifying tyrants. It will also make her a more interesting wildcard for Westeros, where we can start arguing whether her unified rule would be better for Westeros than the War of Five Kings, or that she's going full steam into Aerys mode. In the latter case, it would cement the apex of her development.

Trouble is, I have no idea how he could tie Tyrion and Jorah into this.

>> No.23145959

>>23144570
>4000 prisoners escape in Myanmar
Please understand, OP, GRRM has a lot to be worried about.

>> No.23145975

>>23145833
And people at this point are theorizing total fucking fan fiction.

They won’t be satisfied when the book drops because it will devalue or just destroy their decade-long beliefs.

(It will actually be hilarious seeing fags like David Lightbringer lose their minds)

>> No.23145995

>>23144570
There are only three explanations that make sense in my humble opinion.
1 - He originally did intend to release a version of Winds of Winter in 2015/2016 and was legitimately a handful of months away from finishing it up but scrapped most if not all of it because he thought it sucked.
2 - He has been rewriting the entire book since 2015/2016 which is why he is going on 8 years late releasing a book that he supposedly thought he could finish with a 2-3 month extension.
3 - There is no Winds of Winter, and he never intended on releasing another book after struggling so hard with A Dance of Dragons.

>> No.23146066

>>23145833
Correct. Authors get old and in GRRM’s case too fat to summon the energy to keep writing. The energy and motivation to write is delicate and easily lost. For example Tolkien didn’t bother finishing The New Shadow NOT because "it wasn’t worth doing", that’s just an excuse, but simply because he was too old and tired.

>> No.23146146

I think how The Others are going to become the main focus with the new Long Night happening and have it be believeable enough to the point where all the lord of Westeros put aside their petty squabling over power struggles and shift their focus onto staying alive and how to defend the realm from their invasion is also probably what is troubling him.

>> No.23146425

>>23145835
Exactly. Feast for crows and dance made the series seem way more like it’s just some historical fiction. But the original plan was to go from storm of swords to winds of winter. So things have just dragged on for a while longer than they were originally intended. If we would have revived winds already we’d have seen the others attack, the dragons play a more pivotal role, Arya being a faceless man which would have been much different than where the show just made her a unstoppable warrior, bran taking over from blood raven, and likely much more magic like shadow magic being more important

>> No.23146439

>>23146146
Euron becomes the night king after sacking oldtown (tyrell territory) breaking the wall (north territory) and stealing dany's dragon (now even dany is after him)

>> No.23147174
File: 606 KB, 976x829, 1465461732106.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23144570
As long as he doesn't finish it everyone will retain hope it might be better than the clusterfuck that was the show. He will never finish it.

>>23144576
More or less.

>>23145806
Sometimes I forget how much of a leftist cuck Martin is but yeah, this definitely complicates things for him. Half the reason he hasn't finished the books is probably because he's been seething with Trump Derangement Syndrome for 8 years now.

>> No.23147192
File: 206 KB, 1280x720, 1370884572063.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23144570
>>How the actual fuck does it take you 12 years to write 900-1000 pages of what is supposed to be your masterpiece and it’s not even done by now?
Just look at this blog.
https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2024/01/29/dark-days/
https://georgerrmartin.com/notablog/2024/02/06/the-sleeper-awakens/
Martin spends his time writing Wild Cards and seething about fascism.

>>23145849
>>23145806
Martin has zero problem with Danny being the white savior who does the impossible against all established rules or logic, that's literally been her character for 5 books now. You retards are overthinking it.

>> No.23147399

>>23144593
I don't understand that image. What's going on there?

>> No.23147571

Honestly I don't see why he hasn't just asked Basednderson to write the book for him. That's what's going to happen anyway after he dies with the book still unpublished.

>> No.23147753

>>23144570
>'gardening method' -- iterative ass pull POVs with exposition parralax to bait fan theory nerding with archetypal and symbolic cold reads
>oh shit oh fuck the preponderance of autistic fan theory covering every possible angle
>still wedded to novelty like the hack he is
>refuses to have teams collate said theories for ACTUAL FUCKING STRUCTURE and composition streamlining, like a battle plan

Mostly he's a Boomer constitutionally obliged to string everyone else along in the Narrative Ponzi Scheme for his benefit. The GOT finale was a narcissistic injury and he lacks the insight to see the frauds he got hoodwinked into gifting the television franchise to with his secret sauce ending material for what they were, and lacks the conviction in his material and ability to go through with those broad strokes in a satisfying way (because it's retarded and he really does lack the nous to do it in a dramatic way, something requiring more than his current year tv news fried libshit brain's understanding of the world).

>> No.23147787

>>23147571
It'll (hopefully) be Joe Abercrombie.

>> No.23147789

>>23147192
>Martin has zero problem with Danny being the white savior who does the impossible against all established rules or logic, that's literally been her character for 5 books now. You retards are overthinking it.

Cersei plants Dragon Fire cachets in places that will cause sympathetic detonation of the entire city. Dany takes the blame and is a genocidal monster-- the dragon show of force on legitimate targets turns into a political fuckfest holocaust that no amount of diplomacy can correct. Her rule will be illegitimate, and the North will turn against her (limited war focused exclusively on Lannisport where Cersei flees to execute her Hitler's Bunker last stand, appealing to bannermen against the Dothraki Rape Hordes with zero discipline down south). Sam resigns in protest from Jon's service out of principle (Dothraki rape hordes & Kings Landing) and rallies the southern houses with his strategic planning tag teaming with Dickon taking after Randyll as a field commander. Dany's power base is House Martell, and that's about it, and has to dragon her own cavalry to stop the pillaging. Walkers sweep in on the Siege of Lannisport with no dragon coverage; mass migrant refugees fleeing south; Northern houses fight rearguard actions to faciliate said refugee flood. Euron's executing naval evacuation of Lannisport for whatever's left of their gold reserves, even taking fares further north (Arya slips on transports here to assassinate Cersei as they fleed east with the flotilla). Dany has to be taken to the Godswood and sacrificed to stop the Walkers -- a battle at the Fork, with Littlefinger as a wildcard with semi-dragon proof Harrenhall as a third party together with the Vale from the other side. Jon's dragon mount must turn the tide.

... the scale of apocalyptic events Martin has to tie up and their interrelation doesn't suit the POV bullshit, fat fuck can't dance or juggle IRL or with exposition. He will never complete it satisfactorily or otherwise.

>> No.23147881

some will say george will finish the books and some will say he won't. some will say he's writing the last two books at once and others will say he hasn't written any TWOW pages. someone will say that TWOW will be released even if George dies today. someone will say that Sanderson should finish the books. someone will say that Sanderson is terrible. someone will say that they are more interested in knowing the reasons for the delay and the writing process than the book itself. Someone will say that he has been following the saga since he was a teenager and now he has a job, is married and has 3 children, opening space for other responses from fans saying when they started reading and how their lives have changed. Someone will say that George doesn't care about the fans, he's already rich and will get richer with HBO. someone will say that George owes us nothing. someone will say he should be honest and tell us he won't finish the books. someone will say he is a liar. someone will say he lies to himself. Someone will say that he should update us on the progress of the book and someone will say that no update will suffice, just the announcement of completion. some will say that they have given up waiting. some will say they will leave the sub. some will say that those who wait are deceiving themselves. Jets and giants will be mentioned, as well as Bill Clinton. "sweet summer child" will appear, as will "words are wind". Wild Cards will be fondly remembered. maybe someone will talk about Stephen King, to which someone will reply that getting hit by a car wouldn't motivate George. the last comments will be angry and there will even be cursing against george. and a month from now... we'll be here again. we are stuck in a sad and destructive cycle. and no one will come to save us.

>> No.23147895

>>23145845
Sanderson doesn't like GoT

>> No.23147972

Fat pink masts jutting into myrish swamps while grease from bacon burned black drips down nuncles chin and onto the nipples of his breastplate and the boiled leather of his jerkin while around him the planks of the ship groan like a fat man taking a shit while in the privy the princess curses the gods as she shits but the more mulled wine and arbor gold she guzzles the more she shit until she is shitting brown water while nuncle leers into his lemoncakes for does she not know that words are wind and winter is coming and a lannister always pays her debts my sweet summer child? but dark wings bring dark words and methinks that it is nothing but a mummer's farce but where do whores go?

>> No.23148053
File: 127 KB, 381x370, 1700179343461704.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23144570
Why doesn't someone just hack the publisher to get the drafts. I can't stand it anymore.

>> No.23148061
File: 46 KB, 460x269, bob-cooper-mirror.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23144570
He literally didn't start writing until 2020. He was enjoying his newfound wealth and fame between 2011-2019.

>> No.23148103

>>23148061
The funniest thing to me is that the series is quickly becoming a case study in how the best way to write well is to write regularly. The last two books were garbage because George didn‘t make steady effort and this one, if it does ever come out, will be an abomination for the same reason many times over.

>> No.23148237

>>23145849
>Trouble is, I have no idea how he could tie Tyrion and Jorah into this.
Well, the last we see of Tyrion he's buying off some sellswords. So I'm assuming he'll gain her favor somehow by helping her with his army

>> No.23148513

>>23144576
there is no possible ending. How do you create a satisfying ending to a story where the main theme is that there are no satisfying endings?

>> No.23148526

>>23148513
By making it unsatisfying, obviously

>> No.23148549

>>23144582
who cares? he's rich, his family is rich, the future of his dynasty is assured, everything else doesn't matter

>> No.23148644

>>23148549
He doesn't have children, the books are all he will leave the world after death

>> No.23149172

>>23147192
>Martin has zero problem with Danny being the white savior who does the impossible against all established rules or logic, that's literally been her character for 5 books now.
What Is Astapor?

>> No.23149214

>>23148644
It's not too late to pop out a little george, get devilishly thin with <10% BF and live out a long life where he schools his child on how to write and release his unpublished works for the next 80 years.

>> No.23149420
File: 104 KB, 1564x188, Screen Shot 2024-03-05 at 8.58.26 AM.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

He gave up, people.

>> No.23149428

>>23147787
"Shit fuck," Jon spat into the stinking mud, "fuck shit cock cunt."

>> No.23149564

>>23149420
He'll just put his name on separate projects ranging from video games to HBO spin-off shows to keep public interest from waning and main book sales churning.

>> No.23149664

>>23149420
>has told a few close friends
>somehow ends up on a blog

>> No.23149699
File: 223 KB, 818x912, GRRM blog post.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.23149706

>>23149428
Abercrombie is kino and you know it

>> No.23149709

>>23149699
Lmao, just eat popcorn and watch webms of russian conscripts getting droned like a normal person you fat fuck

>> No.23149718

>>23149699
Makes the world sound so exciting

>> No.23149784

>>23149706
He’s written more books than are in ASOIAF and his plotting in all of them might rival one book. It’s okay writing it just doesn't have a lot to say or go anywhere. GURM has an ability to keep enough mysteries spinning to keep readers engaged for a decade trying to tease them out. There’s nothing like that in First Law or Age of Madness.

>> No.23149792

>>23149784
For me? It's Best Served Cold.

>> No.23149889

>>23149718
REAL lmfao

>> No.23149896

>>23149699
Wow. I cant believe a real person wrote this LOL How did trump buck break liberals so fucking hard
>declaring he will be a dictator on day one and will govern on a pltaform of "retribution" when he is not busy grabbing women by the pussy

LMFAOOOO Bro these people arent real, imagine living like this

>> No.23149921

>>23147895
Doesn't matter he's the publishing industry's designated cumra- erm finishing other people's work writer.

>> No.23150270

>>23149718
The good thing about clown world is that its never boring

>> No.23150442

>>23149699
Wow what a faggot.

>> No.23150599
File: 45 KB, 746x425, dR3k3YVnnK.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23149699
>>23149709
>>23149718
>>23149896
>>23150442
Now that the dust has settled, was he right?

>> No.23150611

>>23150599
On hindsight, no, apart from the many dumb comments his policies were mostly reasonable, he also dealt with the north korea situation very peacefully so overall, a decent lad from a european perspective.

His comments may be crass and ignorant, but actions speak louder than words, and Biden has proven himself much less qualified with his mandate.

>> No.23150634

>>23150599
Trump sure showed them by using the absolutely historic and unforeseen groundswell for a populist candidate in the US to let niggers out of jail, move the Israeli embassy, and do fuck all for his campaign promises.

>> No.23150649

>>23149699
Still gets to me that this fat cunt uses Myanmar as an excuse to get out of work.

>> No.23150781

>>23150599
>President Pussygrabber

It’s funny how Democrats constantly brought that up but completely memory holed the racist shit that Biden has said constantly.

I swear if Trump had told a black person that he isn’t really black if they don’t vote for him the way Biden did, the dems would never shut the fuck up about it.

>> No.23150797

>another thread derailed into a Trump vs. Biden
It's all so tiresome

>> No.23150948

>>23147881
OMG I'm standing up and clapping rn

>> No.23150979

>>23150781
>completely memory holed the racist shit that Biden has said constantly
More pertinently, Biden groping underage children on camera numerous times

>> No.23150984

>>23150979
I still don't understand how that shit absolutely torpedoed Biden's "campaign" (aside from the fact the elections were rigged)

>> No.23150989

>>23150984
*didn't torpedo

>> No.23151073

>>23150599
>New hot wars under Trump: 0
>New hot wars under Biden: 2 (including a US supported genocide)
???

>> No.23151097

>>23150599
Reminder that he's been butt-broken since 9/11. It took him twice as much time to write Feast and it was much more superfluous about his critiques on war and religion and everything else that terrifies him in real life.

>> No.23151116
File: 115 KB, 835x986, 1703960724593784.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23150797
I hope you're looking forward to this for another year anon. This is the great year of culture wars v2.
-and then after that year too until one of the old fucks dies of a heart attack, then again with their replacements.

>> No.23151135

>>23147399
He's got dat fresh cut.

>> No.23151367

>>23151116
>one of the old fucks dies

I really hope both Trump and Biden outlive George, that way I won’t have to see another retarded post on his blog about it.

>> No.23152479

>>23147174
It's amazing how much D&D fucked themselves over by their greed and idiocy.
>GOT was on top of the world for most of its run, and even towards the end there were millions watching every week.
>They had a Star Wars trilogy lined up, were basically the biggest names in television
Then seasons 7 & 8 came out and they took a gigantic dump on their fans. Now they haven't been attached to a project of any significance for 5 years. They are involved with the 3 Body Problem adaptation, which might be good going by their track record of adapting things which have a story and 3 body problem is complete, but I doubt they'll ever reach the heights of fame they once had.

>> No.23152670

>>23144570
He’s fat, and he’s atheist. Atheists don’t have responsibility and discipline.
Compare that to the gigabased Tolkien who was a father to three children and taught at oxford and wrote his books and invented a whole new language for them.

>> No.23152676

>>23152479
the problem is 3 body problem's is complete but

1. The characters in the novel were paper thin and bland as fuck, they basically operated as cameras for the ideas/universe, so D&D have to come up with OC here.
2. I doubt the timeskips will translate well to TV, so they have to be more creative here.
3. The last book is fucking shit.

>> No.23152708

>>23152676
Yeah I don’t have high hopes for it being as big a success as GOT but it remains to be seen whether this is their for back into Hollywood or not

>> No.23152760

Maybe I am wrong, but I get the impression that TV is his first passion, with literature being a somewhat distant second. He currently gets to tinker indefinitely in pre-production over a bunch of spin-offs and prequels, it must be like heaven for him.

>> No.23152782

>>23144570
So he's never going to be done, confirmed?

>> No.23152799

>>23145833
>He introduced too many plot threads and ended up with characters to far apart to plausibly get where they need to be
That's sort of a bullshit excuse. I'm reading Orlando Furioso and there's 20 main characters, sailing, galloping, and flying to every corner of the earth and meeting up with each other again. So the idea that it's impossible to get characters where they need to be, as an author, is laughable.

>> No.23152924

>>23152799
Exactly right. George has proven over the course of five books that he knows how to juggle several plots at the same time, and everything he's said indicates Winds is going to see a lot of characters dead. Out of 25 POVs, 10 are about to be involved in a major battle of some kind (Tyrion, Barristan, Daenerys, Victarion, Samwell, Theon, Asha, Aeron, Jon Connington, Arianne). An additional 3 are already dead (Jon, Catelyn, Quentyn (no matter what Preston Jacobs thinks), Eddard, Arys), then there are another 5 who are headed into danger of some kind (Bran, Jaime, Brienne, Davos, Areo). If George can't handle so many POVs, then it's going to be simple to cut them down. Add into that the fact that at the end of Winds he'll be able to kill off a whole bunch of other characters if the Wall falls, and the argument that there are too many POVs doesn't hold water. He hasn't finished Winds because he doesn't want to finish it.

>> No.23152944

Anyone ITT enjoying the Winds drama way and I mean significantly more than they would reading another fucking Dany chapter?

>> No.23152976

>>23152944

I just hope Daenerys isn't a POV period in Winds maybe someone like Barristan or Tyrion could be the main eyes in Meereen until she gets back then they leave someone like Strong Belwas or Dario in charge when they head off to Westeros

>> No.23153007

>>23152944
That's a low bar

>> No.23153021

Am I the only fan of book Bran?

>> No.23153040

>>23153021

I like his chapters too since I think they have quite a bit of foreshadowing in them and the lore and folklore reveal details are pretty fascinating.

>> No.23153073

>>23144667
Tolkien's goal was to create a myth, not a fantasy novel. He was inspired by Finnish mythology and as a devout catholic his main goal was to portray religious themes with a sprinkle of his individual hatred towards industrialization. LoTR is basically a modern epic. Seems like Martin truly can't comprehend that not everything tries to be a commodity.

>> No.23153120

>>23152479
If Netflix is smart they’ll keep D&D on a leash.

Problem is Netflix isn’t smart.

>> No.23153203

>>23153021
No. Bran is probably one of the most interesting POVs imo and the fact that his arc seems to be going towards magic and being able to go into the past is pretty cool

>> No.23153236

>>23153021
nah his spooky chapters with bloodraven are cool

>> No.23153288

>>23144570
Because he's a proud old fuck who's buttblasted fans hate the ending. Fans shat hard on Season 8, but the events depicted are largely George's writing, not Dumb and Dumber's. He told them how the story ends and that provided their baseline. Fans rejecting it is fans rejecting him, so he's mad. He will never finish his books.

>> No.23153347

>>23148513
>And just before Daenerys scorched all of King's Landing a rumble coming from Samwell Tarly's large fat belly woke him up in the middle of the night back at his castle at Horn Hill. While taking the biggest shit he thought "Thank the Nine it was all a dream" and while his bowels emptied themselves with a thundering roar he continued thinking"Mayhaps I should start saving my appetite and take up the sword to give my father a son he deserves"

There, it's that easy.

>> No.23153392

>>23147881
And this is a copypasta from Is Winter Coming?,a forum that lived,grew and died of old age while waiting for TWOW.

>> No.23153417

>>23153288
You can't say that when the books already are completely different
Like, Euron Greyjoy is COMPLETELY different
Jaime's dumb dornish plot is removed, aegon exists as a catalyst for dany's spergout, everything is set up to explain MUCH better the same ending.
He's just stuck with the plotlines, the ending would be fine if it was properly justified which is something martin's character work can easily do
Alt schift x has just released a video showcasing how insanely different the book and the show already were in season 4 and 5 for characters like Jon. The same ending would have a completely different effect with Martin writing his characters as he does (well), so I can't buy this excuse.

>> No.23153430

>>23153392
It is a copypasta that has been around for several years now.

>> No.23153433

>>23153417
You are such a insufferable coping fan. Yeah keep watching youtube explain videos and hope your fat liberal daddy will finish his book before he has a heart attack. He's trash and lazy. STop denying it. Also stop watching those youtubers, they are the biggest faggots that don't know what they are talking about.

>> No.23153453

>>23153021
When I read the series at 12, he was my favorite character
18 years later, I understand GurM is a children's author, and can't even finish his shitty fairy-tale

>> No.23153462
File: 649 KB, 3600x2400, Where the series left off.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I go to Goodwill and other thrift stores for cheap books and I notice more and more ASOIAF books on the shelves.

>> No.23153494

>>23153433
That's not an argument, I mentioned the video AFTER exposing mine, I didn't base my argument on the video as shown by the fact I bring up completely different characters
You on the other hand offer nothing but insults to this conversation.
> that don't know what they are talking about.
As opposed to you? Please enlighten me with your endless wisdom.

>> No.23153566

>>23153417
You’re completely right about the show being different from the books. Which begs the question, do you think George forced D&D to stick to his ending?

Because if he did then he’s just as much a retard as they are if he couldn’t recognize that there was no way the show, being as different from the books as they were, could have the same ending and not be the complete clusterfuck it ended up being.

Which is why I still firmly believe the show should’ve had a different ending.

>> No.23153569

>>23153494
alt x shift and all the youtubers are objectively awful at analyzing ASOIAF. They have terrible takes. Why would you even need their opinion if you have read the books yourself? Are you unable to comprehend books for yourself? Is alt swift x some magical smart person that knows better than you?

>> No.23153621

>>23153569
>Why would you even need their opinion if you have read the books yourself? Are you unable to comprehend books for yourself? Is alt swift x some magical smart person that knows better than you?
I don't need it, I brought up several characters of my own before I brought up his jon video, which I watched today because I was bored.
The only person here incapable of reading comprehension seems to be you, who completely missed the obvious not once but twice as proven once again by this post
You are still to disprove my point btw, instead attacking a youtuber mentioned at the end of my post as the substitute for the argument you lack.

>> No.23153623

>>23153566
That I don't pretend to know
He is on record not caring about later seasons so I doubt he forced them into anything but maybe when he gave them the job he asked them to stay faithful to his plans? I can't really know.

>> No.23153670

>>23153569
Not him but the people who make videos on asoiaf usually base them on their own opinions which they got through analyzing the books more than an average reader who reads them once and puts them away, as well as sifting through all the forum posts on theories of what will happen. So it is interesting to listen to those theories if you aren’t some diehard asoiaf forum poster. I personally hope the last two books do end up getting published and that they are good. The series still could be a great fantasy series. Feast for crows and dance could have been better if they were combined or something. But I don’t think Martin has done anything with the published material where I’d say he made a mistake and now the books to come will be flawed.

>> No.23153676

>>23151116
I'm not american and honestly I don't even care which old fart you guys elect. I just want to talk books or, alternatively, shit on George RR Martin.

>> No.23153685

>>23153670
They over analyze the dumbest stuff in books and they all have batshit liberal takes like GRRM. They are midwhits who can't write anything on their own right. People who are fans that froth at the mouth of other people and worship works of art are usually bad. The great writers don't fanboy over things and write blogs about other people's works. Like Preston for example. Have you seen him try to write chapters for winds of winter? He's a garbage writer. He can't mimic George's talent one bit. Youtubers are for the lowest common denominator, especially when it comes to the literature world. Like the critic, they can never create anything of their own.

>> No.23153689

>>23153566
GRRM and D&D clearly had a falling out around season 4, the last season George wrote an episode for.
The script he turned in for that episode had lots of elements meant to foreshadow what would come next, including setting up a fight between the dire wolves and Ramsay's hounds, and all of it was stripped out of the episode. After that, while he never spoke against it, George stopped writing for the show and became less involved. I believe he basically had to give them bullets on his ending to keep his reputation with HBO, but the show had become such a neutered, braindead, watered down version of the story the bullets make no sense and D&D unwilling to do any work to make them make sense just rushed through em to finish as quickly as possible.

So many brainless morons think George slowed his writing because people didn't like "his" ending. It's much more probable that his writing was slowed from depression having to watch his story be absolutely butchered in the public eye by two narcissistic coke heads he sold out too because they pretended to be fans and he thought HBO could do his story right.

>> No.23153718

>>23153689
Yeah it must be really demoralising to see people moan about things like "Stannis would never burn Shireen" or "Dany went crazy out of nowhere" as if his plot is shit when really Dumb and Dumber just jumped from plot point number 4 all the way to number 10 with none of the proper build up or development and called it a day.

>> No.23153765

>>23144570
> >After he finished A Dance with Dragons
I’m so radicalized I believe he never finished Dance. He’s retroactively unwriting these books by his singularity of sloth. Can you really remember what happened in it? Are you sure you’re not remembering an earlier book? How many decades has it been since the last book?

>> No.23154195

>>23153765
Well, he technically didn't finish ADWD because he had to cut it short and leave its climax for the next book, which is technically what ADWD should be about

>> No.23154199

He won't finish because he's a lazy woe is me faggot who refuses to take responsibility for his fuckups. It certainly doesn't help that he's fat and has already made millions of the books he did finish. I hate that I enjoy Gurms books

>> No.23154219
File: 1.11 MB, 3900x2600, me1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23144570
>>23144575
>>23144667
>>23145806
>>23145833
>>23145995
>>23147192
>>23147753
>>23147881
>>23147972
>>23148053
>>23152670
>>23152782
>>23152944
>>23153288
>>23153765
>>23154199
If you all hate the author and his work so much why do you give a shit when the book comes out???
You're gona hate it anyway.
You're gona hate on it and shit on it and bitch about it so why do you want it?
Wouldn't you prefer to just whine about it not being out??
Cleary you get enjoyment out of that!
and clearly you DONT get enjoyment out of the books
so what is the logic here?

>> No.23154226

>>23154219
If it comes out (it won't) it will probably be good and I will like it. But GRRM the man is an obnoxious faggot. It's that simple.

>> No.23154247

>>23154226
if you call him a faggot why should he put out for you?
You've all been so mean to george.
Why would he bleed his heart in soul out for a bunch of people who HATE him???

>> No.23154249

>>23154247
He doesn't have to at all, but I reserve the right to think he's gay for not doing it

>> No.23154250

>>23154219
>>23154247
Calm down George

>> No.23154266

>>23154249
and he reserves the right to not print the book till he is ready.
>>23154250
what are you talking about?
I'm not George.

>> No.23154301
File: 72 KB, 750x748, 1681059443323953.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23154199
Yeah but have you considered myanmar is in a most troubling situation this time of the year?

>> No.23154688

I'm sure this series could have been 1/5 as long and been better for it.

>> No.23154697

>>23153462
Still can't get over the map being just a fucking Tetris block.

>> No.23154701

>>23154266
Did you at least blow some sick bubbles today even if you wrote zero words all year George?

>> No.23154753

>>23154247
>bleed his heart and soul

Kek. It’s been nearly 13 years. George doesn’t give a flying fuck about this series anymore.

>> No.23154876

>>23150649
I know if the first and second world fucking wars didn’t stop people from writing masterpieces then Myanmar, Israel, Ukraine all half a world away shouldn’t even register

>> No.23154877

>>23145806
>This implies it was a mistake for her to attempt to end slavery in the first place
Ok
>and it would have been the better option to leave them to their slaving practices in peace
Doesn't follow
learn 2 logic

>> No.23154889

>>23154219
Why did you (you) me?

>> No.23154891

>>23153021
https://youtu.be/AmD6fZek4Kc?si=RXzNwG8XfvuOwea6
Behold, one of the very few good Preston theories.

>> No.23154901

>>23154891
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u5pJkldtAh0
Nah, this is the only good preston video.

>> No.23154931

>>23154901
>are you sure? I really thought it was a parable of-
and then he moved on
LMFAO this video's funny

>> No.23155541

>>23154876
This. Boomers are the kings of excuses, the "not my fault, not my problem" generation.

>> No.23156237
File: 447 KB, 1280x756, 1695042120371010.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23145117
I just want the battles promised at the end of the last novel. I'd be happy with that. Resolve those massive goddamn cliffhangers already.

>> No.23156247

>>23149699
Oh no, he's that Trump-deranged?! There is not a chance the next novel will be good. It's going to poison his writing.

>> No.23156255

>>23153689
>It's much more probable that his writing was slowed from depression having to watch his story
He was slow and stodgy long before then.

>> No.23156529

>>23154889
Because he's a mass-replying AIDS-riddled faggot

>> No.23156577

>>23154876
I'm pretty sure GRRM is taking the piss and there is no TWOW. He very likely hates everyone and all his fans. What better way to be an evil, cynical dickhead than to leave every single storyline on a cliffhanger for eternity?

>> No.23156932

Anyone else find GRRM’s sexual prose to be not sexy at all but rather disgusting and raunchy? Just phonographic in a juvenile low-class manner? Frankly whenever he starts in on that it just makes me cringe. I wonder what goes through his head when he writes that lowlife trash?

>> No.23157928

>>23153021
i have a theory that we stoped getting bran chapters because he isn t bran anymore

>> No.23157976

>>23150599
>worst president in American history
Subjective, of course, but really unless you have strong TDS it's hard to rank him lower than Buchanan who let the country tumble into civil war while he sat on his hands and just complained about everyone.

>dangerously unstable player on the world stage
Not really. No major new wars, detente with North Korea, pivot to confronting China that even Democrats agree with now. Only actually reckless action was the Solimeini strike, but US ended up decisively winning that escalation round with Iran backing down and fucking up their own "retaliation".

>Democrats... do not have the power to hinder him.
Actually domestically they did. Wall didn't get built, no real Muslim ban. Years of bullshit Russiagate investigations....

Wrong on pretty much all counts. The guy's just gives bog standard lib takes. Nothing of interest at all.

>> No.23158849
File: 3.69 MB, 2048x1367, 1667177711375770.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23144570
I'm convinced George already finished Winds like 4 years ago and is just sitting on it because he's not happy, he's probably re-read it like 500 times in the last year alone and has literal manuscripts of varying sizes to swap into the story, he probably even has two stacks of paper that are essentially two different endings that he can't decide on, approximately 80 pages vs 134 pages

also fire and blood was fine and buy the sequel

>> No.23158992

>>23145011
He could honestly just have her sojourn to Asshai or freakin Carcosa or literally anywhere on Essos with Drogon and maybe her new dothraki friends and I'm sure it would be decent

>> No.23160037

>>23156932
He's a fat nerd. Any sex he has had has probably been disgusting and laboured. If he wants to write sex scenes without one or both of the participants reaching for an inhaler every 5 mins he has to make it all up, and it shows

>> No.23160236

>>23160037
And that’s a good thing! Normie sexhavers don’t write historical fiction.

>> No.23160309

>>23160236
Did he? This doesn't count.

>> No.23160531

>>23152676
4. Netflix also has a shit track record of live action adaptations.

>> No.23160883

>>23158849
finish the book you vapid tub of lard

>> No.23160902
File: 54 KB, 419x610, Retarded.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23154219
>If you hate him so much why are you hating on him?
That's some big brain thinking right there, George. Go eat a carrot or something.

>> No.23160907

>>23158849
This is probably at least partially correct. He said once that when there is a major crossroad for the story, he literally writes whole chapters going down one path AND the other so he can read basically the rest of the book and decide which path he likes better.

>> No.23160969

>>23158849
Paddy's Viserys carried that show

>> No.23161050

>>23160907
Is he mentally ill? Why does he write like this?

>> No.23161176
File: 694 KB, 850x861, 1673126816088098.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23158849
>buy the sequel

>> No.23161548 [DELETED] 
File: 1.66 MB, 600x450, 324342.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23158849
>80 pages vs 134 pages

>> No.23161555
File: 1.66 MB, 600x450, 324342.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23158849
>buy the sequel

>> No.23163042

>>23161050
It's actually a really good way of writing a series like this. You can also take stuff from the differenht versions if they go well together.
The problem is it requires a lot of time, dedication and work ethic, three characteristics that gurm severely lacks.
I don't think that's the reason winds got delayed, anyway.

>> No.23163230

>>23161050
He doesn't have internal monologue, so he needs to write it down to know what happens.

>> No.23163284

So…question. When did you finally give up on the series? Was it more of a gradual decline in interest? Personally, I started to lose patience around the slave plot in Essos. If things had just picked up directly from the point of Daenerys acquiring the slave soldiers towards going back to Westeros I would have been okay with that. But it kept dragging on and ON and at some point during all that drama I simply lost interest. If Winter would Actually Come in Westeros I might have still hung on instead of all the to me pointless side-quests and plot threads. I just got bored of the story in general.

>> No.23163334

>>23160037
He can afford top tier escorts now. He's probably having a threesome every night.

>> No.23163731

All this time for a book where we know what happens kek

>> No.23163839

>>23145117
He stretched his plotlines so thin that he got upset that people only care about Stannis/Jon and maybe one other POV character.

>> No.23164191
File: 37 KB, 640x360, 23523.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23158849
>buy the sequel

>> No.23164998

>>23163839
I couldn’t stand the constant attention he gave the damn kids. I really didn’t care about the kids but he kept shoving them down my throat. Did he think this series appealed to young readers? lol lmao.

>> No.23165269
File: 166 KB, 454x1280, 1365595693100.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23150599
I'm genuinely baffled that Trump Derangement Syndrome is a real thing. Why the fuck do people care about this idiot even years later? He did absolutely nothing as president anyone can name and a quarter of America acts as though they survived a 4 year Holocaust that is on the verge of reigniting. Somehow I get the feeling it wouldn't be this bad if moot left pol deleted, the psychosphere has been totally corrupted by it and everyone is going insane.

>> No.23166352
File: 239 KB, 1073x1280, 1707784748584255.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23149709
where can i acquire that knowledge?

now that liveleak is dead and plebbit is full of unironic sub 80 iq eastern euro nafotards, i dont know where to look for that stuff

>> No.23166524

>>23144582
If his planned ending is anything like the TV show, then his legacy has already taken a serious beating.
In the best-case scenario, the planned ending for the books is nothing like what the TV show did, but people still yell at him anyway for not giving them what they wanted (which was the ending to the TV show).

>> No.23166527

>>23145124
There's a theory doing the rounds that Martin can't finish the series because it would contradict his philosophy. It imputes to him a philosophy he doesn't have, and that the books have already contradicted repeatedly. The theory is interesting but ultimately retarded.

>> No.23166532

>>23145849
I doubt she's going back to Meereen at all, nor is it necessary that she does so. If her presence is necessary to conclude the Meereenese story, then that leaves FOUR separate POV characters jerking their dicks there for however long it takes her to return. Is that wise? Meanwhile it has been repeatedly foreshadowed that she must travel further east.
People write all this bullshit about how Martin is stuck, and there's no way out, when actually it's the reader who is stuck. I recall all the theories about Aeron Greyjoy's antics on the Iron Islands; who predicted where he landed? I recall all the theories about Sansa, who predicted the tourney? Nobody fucking knows

>> No.23166534

>>23145975
>David Lightbringer
qrd? or is that LmL?

>> No.23166537

>>23145995
I think it's possible there's a legal dispute behind the scenes. I believe the publisher forced books 4 and 5 out before they were finished, and Martin now has the money to fight back. Possibly all parties hate each other now and mediation is dragging on.
Alternatively he's old and it's a hard book to write and he's got all the amusement in the world to distract him

>> No.23166579

>>23150599
I hate Gurm, but this thread proves the truth in his words more than anything else can. No rational discourse, only irrational ad hominem and "trump derangement syndrome". No one wants to owe-up, everyone deflects with vitriol, even though it's undeniable that Trump stoked the fires and cemented the polarization trend instead of minimizing and controlling it. He is correct that rational discourse has ceased to exist in the US, the sociopolitical climate there is very similar to what it was like before the civil war. No one is arsed or bothered to debate or concede anymore. Nerves are raw and nothing other than an explosion will soothe them, for better or worse.

>> No.23166667

The ending of ASOIAF is just the Season 8 narrative structure grafted onto Elden Ring lore. Elden Ring was just GRRM using a different planet to otherwise loredump the entire ASOIAF setting's deeplore and cosmology because he knows the book series is a failed project and he just wanted to get the info out.

The Winds of Winter never.

>> No.23166907

>>23147972
>mayhaps

>> No.23167114

>>23153569
Preston Jacobs is by far the best at analysing the text, he actually understands the narrative and the themes (his Feast for Crows Brienne analysis series, "Brienne, Gender and the Squishers", is great).
However, he has a lot of shit theories too (Jon being a Dayne when it's pretty clear by the books and by how Dumb & Dumber got the show that he's a Targ and every theory of his that has to do with Dorne is shit too)

His time traveller Bran theory is good too, and he's one of the only ones that bothers to read George's previous books to try to understand what he's actually planning for the conclusion of the series.

>> No.23167124

>>23167114
>Preston Jacobs
is okay, probably the best of the ASOIAF youtubers
But that doesn't speak terribly well of the ASOIAF youtubers

>> No.23167518

>>23166579
Thank you for this injection of sanity ChatGPT.

>> No.23167895

>>23150599
Yes. Every action from Trump, like his economic decisions during Covid, and the neglect towards allies like Ukraine, and middle east decisions, all have lead to the world in which we live today.
On the positive note, the economy is doing good now that Biden's policies have started to take effect.

If you think Trump was a good president you are either a Billionaire, or a 70-90 IQ retard.

>> No.23167923

>>23158992
That's what he needs to do, make the Meereenese Knot into a Gordian Knot.

>> No.23168077

>>23167895
this is bait right?
right?

>> No.23169136

>>23167114
>preston understands the narrative
You mean his opinions on the narrative? Get the fuck out of here

>> No.23169659

Do people think the scene of Bran rejecting Meera will be in the books, or was it a D&D invention?

>> No.23169731

>>23169659
I don't really give a shit, Bran is one of the worst stories in the series

>> No.23169761

>>23169731
Can't say I agree desu.

>> No.23169808

>>23144570

I just want the books man! Get off your ass you fat fuck. Or if not WoW, at least give me more Dunk & Egg. But instead I must suffer by getting my ASOIAF universe kick from roleplay games.

>>23168077

No, you're just too much a faggot to realize its true.

>> No.23169832

>>23158849
George hasn't written a word of Winds of Winter since he inked the HBO deal.

>> No.23169850

>>23169832
He was still writing Dance long after the deal I think