[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 403 KB, 800x750, 1316673625905.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
2313990 No.2313990 [Reply] [Original]

This is just a sort of prologue for a Europa Universalis after action report, based on my conquests as Oman.

I'm not a very good writer, and I imagine I'll fry more than a few braincells with this travesty, but I'd like to hear some criticisms and suggestions.

5th of Safar, 802 (AH)
7th of October, 1399 (Julian)
Royal Palace, Muscat

Khalfan ibn Saleh al-Dadi paused a moment, readjusting his dishdasha unconsciously as the thought of what was to come raced through his mind.

"If it was going to rain, we would have seen the clouds by now." His older compatriot spoke, the words meant to calm the young man as the pair continued down the polished sunlit corridor of sandstone, one side open to the sea. Khalfan turned to him, his long black hair blowing slightly in the open breeze and his jaw clenched with worry and thought, "We've both heard what happened in Nizwa; even if the tales are exaggerated it does not bode well for the character of this Sultan. He cannot be our only option!"

"We have no other options." Imam Tariq ibn Jad al-Ahsa returned morosely, "What armies do we have? What men to lead them?" That last question served with a hard stare. "If Watban Sa'ud catches word of us approaching the Sultan, we may not even have a home to return to."

"But-"

>> No.2313997
File: 296 KB, 1600x1067, 1316380904509.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2313990
"-But nothing, you fool. We already risk much, and neither I nor my daughter need you gallivanting around playing prince and having your head taken. I spoke with Imam Yosef yesterday, and he assured us an ear with the Sultan and the assistance we seek. This meeting is a formality."

Khalfan kept his mouth shut, he knew when arguing would be pointless. The persecution of their people, the heresy before God by Malik Watban Sa'ud al-Najd would not go unpunished, but it should be done by their people, not a foreigner. The two continued in uneasy silence until they reached their destination, the way blocked by two large and ornately carved wooden doors, the relief containing religious scripture and equestrian iconography.

Imam Tariq proceeded onwards, pushing the doors open with a smile he didn't feel upon his face, the room they were entering was well lit and finely decorated to the point of opulence; a masterfully woven carpet sat upon the floor, and atop it was an exquisitely carved table and chairs in which sat the porcine and jowly Sultan Mazhum Nabhan and the Imam, Yosef.

>> No.2314005
File: 132 KB, 1024x1284, 1316917287493.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>2313997
Upon seeing the pair of travelers, the Sultan and Imam immediately rose, the customary greeting coming unbidden from the Sultan as he touched noses and shook hands with Khalfan and Tariq, "Peace be upon you".

"God's blessings be upon you." came the response as the four took their seats around the table. Khalfan watched with interest as Imam Yosef began pouring tea from an oddly glazed and painted pot. The Sultan took quick notice, and began speaking with no small sense of pride, "Ahh my boy, you like the pottery? My merchants sailed very far for very long to the east for this. The wonders and riches out there are incalculable, I value the set nearly as much as my prize horse."

Before Khalfan could speak, Tariq interrupted, "Indeed, have I heard that the horses of Sultan Mazhum Nabhan are unmatchable in health and vigor, of such pure breeding that they can be traced to the very stables of Muhammad himself. Perhaps we could discuss purchasing some of them at a later date, however." The words brought a smile to the jowls upon Mazhum's face, "Delightful! Now let us get down to this other business of yours...."

---