[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 702 KB, 582x836, cathy and heathcliff.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23107213 No.23107213 [Reply] [Original]

The more messed up the better. These two haunts me

>> No.23107486

There is some story that portrays love as a simple ape instinct.

>> No.23107525

>>23107486
LOVE ISN’T JUST A MEANS TO BETTER SURVIVE ITS VALUABLE IN ITSELF AND IS THE DIVINE UNION OF TWO OR MORE SOULS! IT IS BECAUSE I SAID SO OK!

>> No.23107561

As a grown man, Jane Eyre made my heart flutter, the chapters when they're admitting to themselves and to each other they're in love. The climax of the book my wife asked why I was squirming around so much in bed and I had to lie and say I was having another bout of restless leg syndrome.
I also liked the relationship between Julian and whatsername in The Red and the Black, that book is hilarious.

>> No.23107876

>>23107561
>As a grown man, Jane Eyre made my heart flutter, the chapters when they're admitting to themselves and to each other they're in love

I think I see what you mean, it is a really fascinating mix of earthly, primal love and a higher, spiritual love between two equals

>> No.23107897

>>23107213
>Messed up
Orhan Pamuk's A strangeness in my mind. A turkish dude falls in love with a girl and he sends her letters while in the army. He wants to elope with her and when he does he realizes it's actually her older sister. (They eloped during the night). He didn't want to ruin her reputation and offend her feelings so he took her with him back to Istanbul. The book is about their being together as much as it is about growing older and watching your surroundings change.

>> No.23107902

>>23107213
haven't read much love stories, but here is my current list:
OT & NT (Story between a King and His beloved Bride)
Odyssey (story between a faithful tradwife and a husband desiring union with his wife, preferring her presence "even" over being the sex slave of a godess who presumably ALWAYS swallows and does other despicable, immoral things)
Romeo & Juliet
Romeo und Julia auf dem Dorfe
In a weird sense also Effi Briest and The Idiot
>>23107561
will check out Jane Eyre.

I really want to read more of the classic love stories. The nobler the courtship the better. Any recs for me?

>> No.23108021
File: 1.96 MB, 1024x1024, IMG_0942.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23107902
>Odyssey (story between a faithful tradwife and a husband desiring union with his wife, preferring her presence "even" over being the sex slave of a godess who presumably ALWAYS swallows and does other despicable, immoral things)

The Odyssey influenced me because of how it portrayed the briefness of love and yet its eternal persistence. Penelope barely knew Odysseus before he left for Troy (they had a newborn and were just married in an arranged marriage) and yet Odysseus retained those feelings for twenty years. Book 23 deals with Penelope attempting to discern if the stranger before her is her husband since her memories of him are so vague and far off that she thinks he could be anyone. That idea of memory and of the nostalgic foundations of love really spoke to me.

>> No.23108027

>>23107213
Swann and Odette
Marcel and Albertine

>> No.23108129

>>23108021

>memory and the nostalgic foundations of love

what a poetic way of putting it! In my opinion, Book 23 really has to be one of the greatest achievements in the entire history of literature. And how does she know her husband? She knows, when she realizes that he knows their bed meaning: she knows him because she knows that he knows her and has known her unlike any other man in the world. No wonder that the bed was immovable and full of life instead of mere wood, that was dead and has already been seperated from its living origin, the tree. True marriage brings forth fruits, like apples on a healthy tree.

I also love how Telemachos is written, I simply love the Odyssey, and not just because it is a beautiful love story, but also because it is a great work of psychology.

>> No.23108526

>>23107902
>will check out Jane Eyre.
The first section of the book where she's at school is boring as a motherfucker just so you know, but after that it's peak comfy literature.

>> No.23108550

>>23108027
A cuck and a whore & a fag and a gender swaped fag.

>> No.23108625

>>23107213
Harold and Maude

>> No.23108634

>>23107213
Heathcliff was black

>> No.23108977
File: 322 KB, 1588x2322, il_1588xN.2809779494_e118-2345209974.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23108625
holy based

>> No.23108985
File: 57 KB, 756x1000, 41uhiWd1-1L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I like this one, >>23108625 is also fucked up.

>> No.23109129
File: 91 KB, 666x1051, Lolita_1955.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Lolita, light of my life, fire of my loins. My sin, my soul. Lo-lee-ta: the tip of the tongue taking a trip of three steps down the palate to tap, at three, on the teeth. Lo. Lee. Ta. She was Lo, plain Lo, in the morning, standing four feet ten in one sock. She was Lola in slacks. She was Dolly at school. She was Dolores on the dotted line. But in my arms she was always Lolita

>> No.23110230

>>23107561
Umm

>> No.23110243
File: 236 KB, 1070x1200, comedy-writing-how-to-make-someone-laugh.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>23108129
>>23108021
>Penelope acknowledges Odysseus and embraces him; Odysseus tells her of the ordeals yet to come, according to the prophecy of Teiresias; Penelope and Odysseus go to bed, make love, and then she hears the story of his adventures

Powerful

>> No.23110512
File: 198 KB, 640x805, CFA5D72D-300F-4C84-BF93-9B58BA9D0920.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oedipus and Jocasta

>> No.23110672

>>23108550
You’re a dyel dimwit who has never read Proust

>> No.23110674

Seconding Jane Eyre and Harold & Maude. Adding Tristan & Isolde and Beren & Luthien.

>> No.23110813

>>23107213
"Nocturne: From the Notes of Lt. Amiran Amilakhvari, Retired" by Bulat Okudzhava
A love-story between a Russian prince and a little girl who grows up to be a woman and etc. Their whole life basically.

>> No.23110864

Darcy and Elizabeth in Pride and Prejudice. There is a reason this novel is basically synonymous with romance, spawning endless tributes and adaptations

>> No.23110916
File: 56 KB, 470x600, love story.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Princess Bride
>“I love you,' Buttercup said. 'I know this must come as something of a surprise to you, since all I've ever done is scorn you and degrade you and taunt you, but I have loved you for several hours now, and every second, more. I thought an hour ago that I loved you more than any woman has ever loved a man, but a half hour after that I knew that what I felt before was nothing compared to what I felt then. But ten minutes after that, I understood that my previous love was a puddle compared to the high seas before a storm. Your eyes are like that, did you know? Well they are. How many minutes ago was I? Twenty? Had I brought my feelings up to then? It doesn't matter.' Buttercup still could not look at him. The sun was rising behind her now; she could feel the heat on her back, and it gave her courage. 'I love you so much more now than twenty minutes ago that there cannot be comparison. I love you so much more now then when you opened your hovel door, there cannot be comparison. There is no room in my body for anything but you. My arms love you, my ears adore you, my knees shake with blind affection. My mind begs you to ask it something so it can obey. Do you want me to follow you for the rest of your days? I will do that. Do you want me to crawl? I will crawl. I will be quiet for you or sing for you, or if you are hungry, let me bring you food, or if you have thirst and nothing will quench it but Arabian wine, I will go to Araby, even though it is across the world, and bring a bottle back for your lunch. Anything there is that I can do for you, I will do for you; anything there is that I cannot do, I will learn to do. I know I cannot compete with the Countess in skills or wisdom or appeal, and I saw the way she looked at you. And I saw the way you looked at her. But remember, please, that she is old and has other interests, while I am seventeen and for me there is only you. Dearest Westley--I've never called you that before, have I?--Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley, Westley,--darling Westley, adored Westley, sweet perfect Westley, whisper that I have a chance to win your love.' And with that, she dared the bravest thing she'd ever done; she looked right into his eyes.”
>“you were already more beautiful than anything I dared to dream. In our years apart, my imaginings did their best to improve on you perfection. At night, your face was forever behind my eyes. And now I see that that vision who kept me company in my loneliness was a hag compared to the beauty now before me.”
>“There have been five great kisses since 1642 B.C...(before then couples hooked thumbs.) And the precise rating of kisses is a terribly difficult thing, often leading to great controversy.... Well, this one left them all behind.”

>> No.23110926

>>23110916
Do I love you? My God, if your love were a grain of sand, mine would be a universe of beaches...I have stayed these years in my hovel because of you. I have taught myself languages because of you. I have made my body strong because I thought you might be pleased by a strong body. I have lived my life with only the prayer that some sudden dawn you might glance in my direction. I have not known a moment in years when the sight of you did not send my heart careening against my rib cage. I have not known a night when your visage did not accompany me to sleep. There has not been a morning when you did not flutter behind my waking eyelids….Is any of this getting through to you, Buttercup, or do you want me to go on for a while?’
‘Never stop.’
‘There has not been—‘
‘If you’re teasing me, Westley, I’m just going to kill you.’
‘How can you even dream I might be teasing?’
‘Well, you haven’t once said you loved me.’
‘That’s all you need? Easy. I love you. Okay? Want it louder? I love you. Spell it out, should I? I ell-oh-vee-ee why-oh-you. Want it backward? You love I.’
‘You are teasing now; aren’t you?’
‘A little maybe; I’ve been saying it so long to you, you just wouldn’t listen. Every time you said ‘Farm boy do this’ you thought I was answering ‘As you wish’ but that’s only because you were hearing wrong. ‘I love you’ was what it was, but you never heard, and you never heard.”