[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 166 KB, 583x792, Bundesarchiv_Bild_183-R06610%2C_Oswald_Spengler.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
23023552 No.23023552 [Reply] [Original]

>the antiquity peoples who charted the stars and thought they were talking to demons who gave them knowledge while explaining the world with literal cosmological origins?
>nah man, these guys were, like, too focused on the body
>VGH THE FAVSTIAN GERMANICS WHOSE FOLKLORE WAS ALWAYS EARTH-CENTERED ARE ALWAYS ATTRACTED TO FORBIDDEN AND VAST KNOWLEDGE OF COSMIC PROPORTIONS VGH!
Why did Spengler mean by this? What makes Faust and Mephistopheles different from Socrates and the Daemons? Greeks literally had a concept of a higher dimensional spirit. I don't see what makes Faust such an aberration that Spengler feels the need that this creates the dichotomy. I furthermore do not understand his point of the Ancient World being preoccupied with the body, when all these guys were doing was trying to figure out cosmological models to explain the entire universe. It just doesn't track to me. It feels like cope.

>> No.23023612

Spengler is a pseud, just like all other political theorists.

>> No.23023652

>>23023552
you wouldn't get it...

I don't get it either, but I'm German so I go along with it.

>> No.23023656

>>23023552
Get a job nigger

>> No.23024103

>>23023552
>Socrates
>Grecian in spirit
>can't contextualize that the Faustian man is essentially picking up after Socrates
Filtered.

>> No.23024154

The Greeks & Romans recognized their limits and man's place below God.
If you read Faust though it's a very weird and unsettlingly feverish story about making a pact with the devil and then (Faust II) becoming a kind of minor God yourself. I blame the Jews (Spinoza).

>> No.23024162

Probably was ahead of his time for being so superfluous meta discombobulating scholar

>> No.23024223

>>23024154
>I blame the Jews.
Like a typical Germ, you blame someone else for your own faults and mistakes. You people are incredibly vain and arrogant. The woman of European ethnicities because you don't know the concept of accountability. Completely alien to you.

>> No.23024313

>>23024223
>Like a typical Germ
Lol you got me there, I won't lie.

>> No.23024336

>>23023552
Doesn’t he address this? That they saw it as an enclosing dome rather than infinite space? Whether that’s true or not idk but it’s not like he never thought about it.

>> No.23025569

>>23024154
But they literally had the concept of becoming gods. The very idea of that is Greek; Apotheosis.

>> No.23025578

You'll GET Spengler when you understand that he was writing poetry. But the anglomind can seldom understand intuited truths presented poetic-wise

>> No.23026235

>>23024336
The Classical prime symbol was the body, the Faustian that of Infinity or infinite space, and the Magian, so the Middle Eastern from Christ to the fall of Constantinople, was the enclosing dome or the Cave. People who haven't read Spengler but have only watched youtube videos about him wouldn't know anything about the hundreds of pages in DOTW he uses to clarify homology and analogy, or destiny and causality, or language and race, so they just assume that unless EVERYTHING between 1100BC and 400AD in Greece is a literal cultural example of the closest single word Spengler could find to describe their culture, then he's full of shit. It's why he's treated like a meme here because only faggot NEETs like me have the time to waste to read his work.