[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 368 KB, 1920x1080, IMG_0569.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22433169 No.22433169 [Reply] [Original]

> Plato is canonised: and it is now deemed as impious to question his merits as those of an Apostle of Jesus. he is peculiarly appealed to as an advocate of the immortality of the soul; and yet I will venture to say that were there no better arguments than his in proof of it, not a man in the world would believe it. it is fortunate for us that Platonic republicanism has not obtained the same favor as Platonic Christianity; or we should now have been all living, men, women and children, pell mell together, like the beasts of the field or forest. yet ‘Plato is a great Philosopher,’ said La Fontaine. but says Fontenelle ‘do you find his ideas very clear’?—‘oh no! he is of an obscurity impenetrable.’—‘do you not find him full of contradictions?’—‘certainly, replied La Fontaine, he is but a Sophist.’ yet immediately after, he exclaims again, ‘oh Plato was a great philosopher.’—Socrates had reason indeed to complain of the misrepresentations of Plato; for in truth his dialogues are libels on Socrates.—

>> No.22433185
File: 57 KB, 645x729, n54.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22433169
>t.

>> No.22433204

>>22433169
Based. Who is that?

>> No.22433209

>>22433204
That’s Thomas Jefferson. He was the proto-atheist commie libtard of the founding fathers. Ironically, the left consider him a racist and a slave owning rapist because he slept with one but of the ffs he is by far the most likely to approve of modern America.

>> No.22433240

I hate Jefferson so much. I wish he had died and Hamilton had lived.