[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.38 MB, 3672x3024, Start_with_the_greeks.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22354896 No.22354896 [Reply] [Original]

I've decided to start with the Greeks and I've found three charts on the wiki. Are any of these charts deemed superior to the others or is there an alternative option to start with the Greeks rather than the charts.

>> No.22354923

>>22354896
Just read what interests you.

>> No.22354987

>>22354923
I want to read the Greeks

>> No.22355056

>>22354987
Just read homer and go from there, its not that fucking complicated.

>> No.22355175

>>22354987
Of course read the primary source thefts themselves, but don’t neglect secondary or tertiary works that help synthesize and contextualize everything. If you’re interested in history, go acquaint yourself with a basic outline of Greek history. If philosophy, get an introduction to the presocratics and the sophists.
The first book in that chart is good and the other anon is right - read or at least be familiar with the mythology that undergirds everything else in Ancient Greece. Although a lot of this is well known in general cultural as a Westerner so depending on how deep you want to go you could probably skip over it

>> No.22355210

>>22354896
that one is good enough, but drop all that gay philosophy and add xenophon and aristophanes

>> No.22355213

>>22355210
and also, don’t be afraid of «spoilers», do some basic research before you read any of the greeks

>> No.22356271

>>22354896
>I've decided to start with the Greeks
this is the single most retarded piece of advice on /lit/ and is the 100% surefire guaranteed way to ensure that you get 50 pages into the Iliad and never pick up a book again. start contemporary. google past winners of the PEN/Faulkner Award, the National Book Award, the Pulitzer, the New York Times Notable Book lists, and pick whatever sounds interesting. read them. if you like them, great. check out more work by that writer, find interviews where they talk about their influences and read that writer's influences. if you don't like them, also great. try and ask yourself why you liked a book or why you disliked it. don't do the retarded thing of saying that a book is good because everyone else says it's good and you don't want to look stupid. start contemporary and work your way backwards. as you go backwards you'll find that the books become more and more distant from your particular time, place, nation. that's fine. they might get harder to read, but you'll have built up stamina. don't be afraid to challenge yourself -- some books we love immediately, and some demand something from us.

alternatively, rack your brain for books you've heard of that sound interesting. "Crime and Punishment... I've heard of that. It's about a murderer, right? Sounds cool." that's good enough. Read it. don't worry about translations, don't worry about versions, just get a copy and read it, don't get stuck in that oh but I gotta find the best translation because some anon said that that translation is inferior because blah blah blah bullshit bullshit. Just fucking read it. I promise you it matters far, far less than /lit/ wants you to think. Then apply the same liked it why/disliked why thing. Look up influences and other books by that writer. Continue reading.

Literature is a web, not a ladder. There's no "starting place." There's no "final boss." You can begin anywhere and get to anywhere. There's no one you need to impress and no one you need to fool. Read what you want, and challenge yourself, and you'll not only do fine, but you'll create a more genuine, a more real, a more grounded love for literature than half the retards on this board.

TL;DR starting w the greeks is retarded start anywhere and challenge yourself

>> No.22357047

>>22356271
kys retard

>> No.22357053

>>22354896
the one that doesn't recommend fagles

>> No.22357065

>>22356271
>Literature is a web, not a ladder. There's no "starting place." There's no "final boss." You can begin anywhere and get to anywhere. There's no one you need to impress and no one you need to fool. Read what you want, and challenge yourself, and you'll not only do fine, but you'll create a more genuine, a more real, a more grounded love for literature than half the retards on this board.

This. Knowledge fills in blanks both forwards and backwards. Nothing will kill the joy of reading than following a set in stone 50 book list. That chart craze a few years back made it obvious that anons were more interested in making charts and courses than reading, and probably gave up 1-2 books in

>> No.22357108

>>22356271
Only smart anon on /lit/
This board is filled with too many kids who think reading ancient greek plays will make them 200 iq.

>> No.22357433
File: 123 KB, 593x1000, 71ZPJOcSV+L._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thoughts?