[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 345 KB, 750x500, stop watching tv.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22349423 No.22349423 [Reply] [Original]

He would've wanted you to get off 4chan and social media. And stop watching TV i guess

>> No.22349425

>>22349423
Too bad he's dead so his wants do not concern me

>> No.22349431
File: 17 KB, 200x200, 1691401012369.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>"learn to deal with mundane office work, you wuss" said the famous author, before hanging himself.
yeah. good talk, coach.

>> No.22349444
File: 33 KB, 657x527, cocky.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

2 out of 3 already done'd

>> No.22349496

>>22349423
>I guess
Own it, insincere retard.

>> No.22349500

>>22349423
However 4chan is different, nobody's here to impress anyone but just talk. We're just... thoughts. Ironically, like his book.

>> No.22349516

Almost literally the equivalent of shitting on a canvas and calling it art.

>> No.22349604
File: 1.03 MB, 856x894, 1450557227456.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22349423
Didn't ask.

>> No.22349640

>>22349500
>nobody's here to impress anyone but just talk
Then why are there so many combative assholes? As little sense as it makes on the surface, people definitely do try to impress others on here

>> No.22349660

>>22349640
bpd, autism, retardation, basic stupidity, immaturity, cunt attitude, faggy attitude, sunk cost fallacy double downs, take your pick. sometimes its good to get called out and to call people out then engage in a bit of debate but most of the time theyre self absorbed dick heads and you get some validation from people who read the exchange

>> No.22349693
File: 1.17 MB, 4160x2340, 20230806_195105.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just finished infinite jest for the first time today. My only regret is taking the time to read it over a 5 month period. In between finishing it I read "blood meridian" (not meming I just got into reading again last year and wanted to see if they were unfilmable like everyone says. They arent. I have good mental imaging when it comes to novels and infinite jest can most certainly ne made into a 5-7 hour motion picture/ series with some realigning of plots) and "a supposedly fun thing I'll never do again".
I don't think I'll ever read a novel as good as IJ again, though. The reason I regret taking so much time to finish it is that I forgot about parts of the beginning that make the story tie together. 3 chapters into "TPK" now. Currently suffering with on agin off again meth use and have had bad depression and suicidal ideation heavily last year. IJ didn't cure it but certainly gave me a good perspective and ideas to think about.

>> No.22349701

>>22349423
Doesn’t matter, his suicide makes this theories inert.

>> No.22349762

>>22349604
What the hell was that interview

>> No.22349774
File: 298 KB, 711x890, 1684587332705465.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

As far as social media goes this place is one of the less damaging happy chemical machines out there. It's not designed to hook you up on dopamine and bombard your brain with countless stimuli all the time, it's just meant to be a spot of free discussion for outcasts. He would've hated it here but also have been an addict.

>> No.22349884

>>22349640
Most arguments here are engaged in half-heartedly as an excuse to unleash cruelty. Trolls trolling trolls. No one here really cares apart from the autistic trips/naivefags.

>> No.22349924

>>22349774
The way social media destroys people is ego.

>> No.22349949

Who the fuck even watches TV anymore? How did DFW goof up so hard not realising that television is a relic media on a way out, writing his work in early 90s at the eminence point of videogames, internet, and social platforms? He just couldn't lift himself out of the boomer mindset of SCREEN = BAD, same way surviving boomers cannot comprehend smartphones

>> No.22349957

>>22349423
Alright OP, you dug out the Quiji board and communed with the boy, and he told you all this shit. Why are you still here?

>> No.22350069
File: 326 KB, 2537x1770, 1669520008170743.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22349924
But part of this is seeing your reflection which is why algorithms that adapt to trends and your behavior are so important. Social media works by the way of Narcissus' lake, and you need an Echo to really trap anyone.

>> No.22350154

>>22349949
>How did DFW goof up so hard not realising that television is a relic media on a way out
Whether the media be streamed by way of internet or stored on a DVD, the content is the same and has the same impact on one's psyche.
>same way surviving boomers cannot comprehend smartphones
I do not use a ''smartphone'' and it pisses off a lot of boomers because they are irritated that they cannot send me text messages. It doesn't mesh with my lifestyle. When I leave the house, I don't want to be on a leash. Too many people think that every mundane detail is an emergency.

>> No.22350240
File: 455 KB, 1200x811, dfw.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.22350243

My head hurts from thinking

>> No.22350438

>>22349949
He offed himself right about the time socialmedia+smartphones exploded and made interner a widely adopted thing amongst normies. Up until then internet was a growing niche, but still a niche.

>> No.22350491

>>22349774
>it's just meant to be a spot of free discussion for outcasts.
It's not meant for outcasts and people who operate on an association between outcasts and 4Chan make the boards more about themselves at the expense of the content. If this place resembles anything of a happiness churn it's because of posters with that mentality. 4Chan is not like Facebook or Instagram in that its intentionality has become happy chemical machine. If anything operating on that aforementioned association brings an aspect of social media identity-building to an otherwise literally anonymous online space. For productive posters a biproduct of participation is not the experience of an outcast-oriented social outlet. People who would fall into the trap of using a curry recipe pneumatic parchment exchange as address for their sense of outcast ruin the board and make it more like the online spaces they perceive themselves as outcast from. For bringing identity into this you are the reason there are containment boards and why otherwise good conversations here are stilted.

>> No.22350523

>>22350438
Nta but hard agree. I remember cringe running down my spine when "meme" started to be attributed in normal parlance to anything online that went viral. In 2015 a normie could call another normie an irl meme without the awareness that a shrinking original majority of people who were familiar with the term associated it with humor as stale as philosiraptor.

>> No.22350553

>>22349500
Ive fell so low that i feel better here than in social media

>> No.22350559
File: 400 KB, 1400x1983, 1669752196053785.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22350491
I suppose you're not wrong in that associating a perceived identity with anonymous content is ruining the very axiom of sites like this, but you have to admit the idea of an anonymous open forum is in itself going to be inextricably linked to outcast behavior and thinking.
That is to say, ignore the penchant idea of a vague identity derived from the collective and the statement nonetheless stays true. I guess it's truer to call the ideas discussed here in themselves outcast, regardless of the people making them.

>> No.22350577

>>22350491
This. It seems many of the newerfags have put identity and ideology above content, which is one of the reasons the board (and site) is in a steep decline. Just look at how many anons have an “us vs them” attitude. The whole reddit/redditor insult is emblematic of that. I personally use this board because I love literature. I would have no problem using reddit’s literature subs if I wasn’t so used to the image board format. A lot of the best posters are cross site users because it is their interest in literature that brings them here

>> No.22350588

>>22349693
Stay strong anon, your candid commentary is appreciated. A reminder that we may suffer alone but can aim to improve our circumstances together by uplifting each other. Little victories add up.

>> No.22350596

>>22349949
>SCREEN=BAD
If you actually read (lmao) the essay he first introduced his anti-TV shtick /lit/ loves to shitpost about, he expressly criticizes unjustified fearmongering about TV; and he never even says you should stop watching TV: he just says you shouldn’t watch it for six hours straight or to an extent it has a significant impact on the way you think. If anything the advent of the internet vindicated him, since rampant screen addiction and brainrot only multiplied, the only difference being that now it’s phones instead of TV.

>> No.22350600

>>22350559
Anonymity can be used in so many different ways outside of the edgelord, taboo, or outcast style. There could be more creativity and personas created, but no, anons only seem to come here for edgelord reasons which has killed the site

>> No.22350630

>>22350438
idk if you were alive then but phones with internet access were not niche products before the iphone, and social media was already huge.

>> No.22350664
File: 16 KB, 480x360, boldandbrash.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22350559
>the idea of an anonymous open forum is in itself going to be inextricably linked to outcast behavior and thinking.
Not any more than an un-anonymous open forum. (You) are linking that behavior and thought (in a way that's responsible for the decline anon noted >>22350600
here). Based on >>22350069 I don't think you know what the general internet users' social media habits and inclinations are like and you're unfamiliar with Twitter. There are plenty of boards on 4Chan that are much more tame than broad follower-networks and friend-networks on Twitter and Facebook. The perception you have of 4Chan is self-conscious, like that of a type of person in a community college class wherein all your submissions have an intentional personal element you will not release consciousness of- your concern about your submission as a reflection of yourself will always be at the expense of tending to your brush-strokes and grammar. Misallocated mental space. It invites uncomfortable, limited critique from peers and indicates to your teacher that your work with a subject is limited to your work with yourself. You will form cliques with people responding to you on the same self-conscious level and begin the videogame club that is notoriously used by people with maladaptive gaming habits (gamers) who cannot find normal social outlets. Your discourse about videogames will have a measure of self-consciousness.
>>22350577
Absolute hard fucking agree. The blue boards are like community colleges done right. Go to a board, read the sticky, lurk, create, participate with your creations and leave yourself out of it. I can't relax with Reddit's format.

>> No.22350711
File: 1.57 MB, 1996x3017, 1686134631493227.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22350600
>>22350664
Outcast doesn't have to mean edgy just like mainstream doesn't necessarily mean right. You're letting your own prejudices stand in the way of understanding.
I was talking both about the possibility of typing nigger as many times as the 2000 character limit allows (something not afforded to you on any other public forum, mind) as much as about discussing offbeat ideas about society, technology, science and art. In the way this place and others like it kill ego, at least partially, by near-enforcing an anonymous facade on every contributor it too does away with any social burdens that tend to stop any and all honest discourse.
There's a good and bad to everything, just like there are retards everywhere.

>> No.22350781

>>22350711
Given that hostility seems to be the status quo stance for a lot of anons, no, I don’t think this place is great for honest discourse. Hostility turns away rational, open minded, nuanced people. Anything you want to learn from here you can find somewhere else on the internet more easily, and often of higher quality too. If you want to post nigger 200 times, point out Jewish names and noses, post tranny ragebait, that is fine on /pol/. The big issue is when anons bring their hardline ideologies here and can’t help putting their identity in every post despite the anonymity. And even that would be fine if it wasn’t completely spammed on this board to the point that many anons left. There will be little honest discourse if threads are being derailed by hostile anons with hardline stances, who don’t seem even seem to want discussion, as much as to use the anonymity to turn anons into ideological caricatures of their enemies and fling shit. This is a literature board and too many threads and posts have nothing to do with literature except as a way to bring up whatever topic. There is blatant ragebait and propaganda posted here all the time. Such anons aren’t interested in honest discussion. 4chan’s identity has changed so much that it almost isn’t recognizable, or it failed. It used to be a melting pot of anarchy, where the big message was that the internet isn’t serious business and shouldn’t be taken as such. It’s a lot different now

>> No.22350853
File: 77 KB, 1280x720, morelike.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22350711
Anon >>22350781 says it. You use of "any (social burdens)" isn't apt. 4Chan unfortunately has its own conspicuous social burdens (whereas before it literally had less, not only previously different burdens). What I'm asserting to you is that this place "kills ego" as effectively (maybe with particular differences- for example, you can't use the N word as a form of ego-expression on Twitter) as other online spaces. You may be prevented by a profanity filter on twitter but that has about the same effect that the social burdens on 4Chan, outlined by aforementioned anon, have on discourse here. What discourse is allowed may be different (Nigger 2000x) but the honest discourse you're referring to that would add quality to the board is conspicuously absent from 4Chan and popular social media.
I think what I was getting at earlier is that (you) actually ruin quality discourse by posting on 4Chan operating on the idea that it's a place particularly suited to social outcasts more than, say, Twitter, Facebook, etc.. You must not know what those places are like, or maybe never lurked and found the network within those popular social media sites that would cater to you.
This is non-judgmental: You should try using Facebook or Reddit. I think Instagram is more catered and harder to explore (mostly images and text is less conspicuous, no post sharing either) and Twitter is a warzone that would make 4Chan blush. Think the same hostility as 4Chan but by different and more varied in-grounds. Social media is awesome especially when it's mostly people you exclusively know from the internet. Before /soc/ got name-nuked you could meet great people on there and learn them more intimately and privately on their social media. Sorry if I mention anything you already know also I'm typing between prepping an interior for painting.

>> No.22350867

>>22350781
Heh I recall a thread made on Kafka crying about how he made one (1) comment on some pretty boys he saw somewhere and thus reeeing about him being a pedo somehow and a Jew. the whole thread was a sight to see. Kind of sad even.

>> No.22350946

>>22350853
Have you ever read Spengler? I’ve always thought it an apt analogy of the countryside and villages being subsumed by the city-state. Individual boards were the small villages with unique cultures and the city-state is the disenchanted outcasts. The villages(individual boards) lose their identity and culture because they are subsumed by the city-state(disenchanted outcasts), and become a homogeneous mixture which is similar through every board. The Decline of 4channel

I think a lot of the hostility on social media is a little bit of a mirage. People have always been angry but they had no one to vent to besides friends and family. Now, everyone wants to give their opinion in some virtual cloud world that really doesn’t resemble reality. Things aren’t as bad as they are made to seem online by the participants of the troon/chud war, which is a minuscule percentage of the population. They are loudest and draw the most attention because of inflammatory comments. It’s a whole other topic that a book can be written about, but ideologies have taken over personalities, and the individual is disappearing. A reverse of the renaissance. Too many people don’t know how to define themselves other than ideologies. And why is everyone so worried about defining themselves? It has become the focus of social media instead of socializing. It’s an even stranger phenomenon when it happens here, where anonymity reigns

>> No.22350959
File: 1.93 MB, 1500x2250, 1683849689235390.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22350781
I'd say that's just the price to pay. Much like life give men free will and nine times out of ten they won't fail to disappoint you in doing their worst. It's so easy to filter out this type of person all you really need to do is remain focused on the abstract discourse, and doing this here is easier than in any other place, to never really see them around. This generalized hostility and need to vent is like one of the very few genuine aspects of the layers of irony everyone's on nowadays.
Hardline stances are everywhere, too. Both on and offline. At least points made take equal relevance here.
I'm not arguing 4chan is a wonderful place or that it's not a shadow of its former self, but the opportunity for the kind of interaction you get nowhere else is still around. And crying about it without daring to arbiter any change through action doesn't really mean much either.
>>22350853
I don't exclusively browse this shithole but I also tend to avoid social media in good fashion because it's all ultimately fake and gay. I don't give a fuck about what losers want to reflect about themselves online and I could not care less about keeping with mass spectacle or collective stupidity; life makes sure I know either way. I just wanted to point out that engineering narratives, falling victim to ego-feeding algorithms, etc. all becomes much harder when you start with anonymity as a core tenet of discourse.
That we collectively fail the idea in the most basic fucking ways (e.g. lonely losers identifying with radical political movements online just to feel a hint of belonging) is just another aspect of our humanity.

>> No.22351013

>>22350959
The whole “be the change you want to see” sentiment isn’t realistic. Numbers will always drown out individuals and gatekeeping fails. It failed on this board. I do what I can. I make threads that are broad enough that many anons can chime in, I ask honest opinions and questions, I give effortposts for books and writers when I feel I am informed enough to do so. Ultimately I’ve come to terms that it isn’t worth getting worked up over this board. If I come here I do so with the mindset that I most likely won’t get much from here. And ignoring it is good and dandy but eventually it becomes a straw that breaks the camel’s back. I do a pretty good job ignoring those in bad faith, or those with whom interacting with would gain me nothing. Many have chose to ignore it by just leaving the site which has hurt. /lit/ was always small and slow, and the changing of the guards has crippled it. Im sure part of this is that I’m probably a decade older than most here. Eventually you move beyond the Dostoyevsky, Joyce, DFW, etc realm of literature and if there aren’t many anons here who have moved beyond that realm too, the board offers little. Im not saying those authors are bad, but literature is a time consuming process, and when many anons are young, they won’t have as many books under their belt, so there will be less to discuss. Too many anons concerned with appearances, and a writer’s relation to subcultures, or their personal life.

>> No.22351017

>>22349444
Based and checked.
Can’t quit you faggots, even months into a dry spell.

>> No.22351026

>>22350946
>And why is everyone so worried about defining themselves
Cue TLP

>> No.22351051
File: 1.59 MB, 1296x1812, 1681413324501323.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22351013
I'm a firm believer that change happens but never in the immediate ways your brain wants it to.
Most of the internet hasn't even /made it/ past Dostoevsky, Joyce, Pynchon or DFW. If you find a replacement that isn't a Discord circlejerk/cult then let me know. Otherwise you're here forever, so why not make the best of it?

>> No.22351057

>>22350959
>it's all ultimately fake and gay.
It's not and there's an easy possibility of it being worse here.
>I could not care less about keeping with mass spectacle or collective stupidity [...]
That's what you are doing here.
>[...] life makes sure I know either way.
You are probably a part of it then.
>I just wanted to point out that engineering narratives, falling victim to ego-feeding algorithms, etc. all becomes much harder when you start with anonymity as a core tenet of discourse.
You haven't effectively pointed that out and half of your statement doesn't accurately pertain to a comparison between popular social media and 4Chan because there is literally no algorithm to fall victim to- rather, other mechanisms.
>That we collectively fail the idea in the most basic fucking ways (e.g. lonely losers identifying with radical political movements online just to feel a hint of belonging) is just another aspect of our humanity.
In your case certainly yes.
>>22350946
Unfortunately I'm not well read and don't know who that is but if you rec. an excerpt or short work I'd read it. Your analogy is interesting, could you expand on it for me?
>Things aren’t as bad as they are made to seem online by the participants of the troon/chud war, which is a minuscule percentage of the population.
I agree. I grew up in a city and live in a suburb and suburbanites feel similarly about going into the city. People deterred by the perception of a Jordan Peterson x ContraPoints CHUDwar are the same as people who are like "I could never drive in the city!" "I'd go more often but it's dangerous!"
>And why is everyone so worried about defining themselves?
I think it's because social media participation means shifting from "authentic" social technology to "profilic" social technology, but individuals don't realize when they code-switch. Hans George Moeller talks about this on Youtube.

>> No.22351096

>>22351051
I agree but I’m just lamenting the fact that many of the old guard left so diversity in books has dropped. Most individual book threads that aren’t the usual suspects die with 0-5 replies, where that wasn’t necessarily the case in the past. Old /lit/ is viewed through rose tinted glasses to some extent Im sure, but it did use to have better quality and diversity to some extent. There aren’t many anons to really push discussion forward anymore so it’s kind of the students trying to teach the students. Anons have to take it upon themselves to post in their areas of expertise or else the board stagnates. Once again, I’m sure part of this was getting more from the board when I was in my early 20’s than in my 30’s because it could offer me more then. As far as making the best of it, that’s probably all we can do if jannies are going to be passive. We have to have a more concerted effort; make more threads on books we are reading, post in good faith, bump threads, start on page 10, start more general threads where more can participate. Like I said, I’ve made peace with what the board is but I find it’s evolution a bit of an interesting curiosity

>> No.22351116

>>22351057
Spengler has become a big of a meme and icon of some far right anons here but he is interesting in his own right. He wrote The Decline of the West, and ambitious and autistic book. There is a lot to it but look it up on Wikipedia if you want to get the gist of what it is about and the points it raises. It’s a shame it’s been co-opted by the radical right to some degree, but many people across the political spectrum have been influenced by it

>> No.22351140

>>22351116
Nice, I read the lead section of the Wikipedia article and I'm very turned on. This seems like something in the same vain of that Youtube The Jolly Heretic but a little more measured and without the narrow focus on IQ.

>> No.22351151
File: 3.16 MB, 4032x3024, IMG_1209.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22351057
>>22351116
Oh and I forgot to elaborate on the city-state concept. Looking it up on google can do it more justice than I can but the basic premise is that there 2 ways of civilization (this can be applied to other things as well): becoming and being. When something is becoming it is thriving and growing. When something has become, it is stagnant and dead. When a civilization has become it has obtained its maximum potency and can only wane from there. For a become civilization, the city takes over the state, like Ancient Rome had more importance than Italy, London and England, etc. The country takes on characteristics of the city-state and is heavily influenced by them until it ceases to resemble itself and becomes an offshoot. I’m no expert on this so I’m sure some take elaborate better but I recommend looking it up if interested. Picrel is about becoming/become. I’ll post something about the city state if I can find it

>> No.22351186

>>22351140
It is an extremely ambitious book that goes in depth in a lot of different ways. Some parts are complete slogs, others are pregnant with the profound. It is very interesting and ambitious at the bare minimum

>> No.22352194

>>22350491
What about old-school forums? Agora Road, for example

>> No.22352213

>>22349431
coaches don't play

>> No.22352759

>>22349693
>doing meth
what are you doing, stop being retarded
print out this picture and look at it when you want to stop being retarded

>> No.22352777

>>22349423
>A suicide telling me what to do
You failed at even getting through life, you don't get to tell me what to do, faggot.

>> No.22352778

>>22349640
Stop being so sensitive

>> No.22352784

>>22349423
Narcissism/depression/mental illness is so odd bros. Shit happens outside of your perception then you just have neurosis for life. DFW was clearly a narcissist but he also had a galaxy-brain talent (based off what I saw of his interview) for social commentary and empathizing with/conceptualizing uniquely human problems including those dealing with mental health. He even seemed to have a firm grasp of psychoanalysis, yet he couldn't think his way out of whatever broke his mind.

>> No.22352787

>>22352784
All narcissists deserve the rope. No exceptions.

>> No.22352793

>>22352784
There is a razor thin line between narcissism and self hatred

>> No.22352795

>>22352784
He wasn't that smart lol

>> No.22352809

>>22352793
Yes but he himself even said that in the interview

>> No.22352814

>>22352809
I think self hatred is probably the base or foundation, and narcissism and psychology emerge from that as coping mechanisms

>> No.22352816
File: 389 KB, 2000x1500, 1680822967594032.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22349693
Are you smoking meth? How did you get into contact with it in the first place? I've known meth heads and drug abusing reader types but they were in very different spheres from each other. Are you in the states?

>> No.22352905

he was right about everything, including suicide

>> No.22352911

>>22352905
What did he say about suicide?

>> No.22353549

>>22349423
So why did this guy kill himself.

>> No.22353979

>>22351151
Great insight right there. Becoming and being can be paralleled with idealism and materialism all the way down to Heraclitus. The city state always gets subsumed into the larger country, like the body gets eaten by the earth. Our countries are already rotten to the core so it is time to establish new city states. But to do that you need a community first.
https://pastebin.com/AzF9W2Ku
>>22351057
>>22351013
>>22350959
>>22350781
>>22350711
>>22350664
>>22350853
Hostility is the norm of the barbarian. Think of the internet as the Great Migration of Peoples. Being anonymous is like shouting in the wind. Even if you defeat the Huns in battle, a thousand years of middle ages still follow.
But the death of the countries is also where the seeds of the city states begin. From a scenius that preserves the sacred knowledge into a community into a city that leads people out of the dark ages.
What is more, you can think of the process as one of externalization. When the civilization begins naturally in a city-state, there is a lot inside of people that has to be externalized. That leads to a million Renaissances that over centuries externalize the rational and irrational depth that the people built up during the dark ages. The need for externalization naturally leads to a loosening of morals since it requires ever more freedom to externalize ever more of what is inside. Once the externalization nears its end it descends into profanity, degeneration and degradation as the lowest innards are externalized for all the world to see. It is then that the civilization collapses and violence becomes externalized as well, everything that was mistaken, overlooked, ignored, underestimated from the Renaissance time until the collapse takes hold. It is then that safety nets are created for the select few who can manage their externalization. And so the process repeats.

>> No.22354093

>>22352213
fair enough

>> No.22354119

>>22352911
"You should try it, heck, I'll even try it myself!"

>> No.22354144

>>22349423
or he would have just binged, then quit whenever had shit to do.
like a normal person

>> No.22355142

>>22349423
I would have wanted him to kill himself
oh wait

>> No.22355445 [DELETED] 

>>22352213
arent many (most?) coaches former players doe

>> No.22355471

>>22349640
over time you'll learn to identify individual posters here, especially if you frequent other boards that have flags. i can even recognize some people from twitter.

>> No.22355478

>>22352911
ACK

>> No.22355527

>>22349423
>something something being ahead of one's time yet profoundly bound up within it is necssary to greatness -- some mustachioed Germanfag

Okay dead by suicide guy.

>>22349640
The unalloyed unvarnished truth without any mediation of the usual prefiltration heuristics of having to drag your busted bussies to the agora.

>>22350491
Having to wade through r9k for lit/philosophy threads pre-/lit/ creation was unmitigated giga AIDS

>>22351013
>metis
The alternative is having your lunch eaten, or blowing your head off OD'ing on psychiatric lobotomy pills and sincerity-maxxing. It's indecent. No one needs your unfiltered takes irl unless there's something at stake. If you have to be told to TRY and be a bon vivant it's tainted from the outset.

>>22353979
>It is then that the civilization collapses and violence becomes externalized as well, everything that was mistaken, overlooked, ignored, underestimated from the Renaissance time until the collapse takes hold. It is then that safety nets are created for the select few who can manage their externalization. And so the process repeats.
~ Hegel on the frivolity awaiting those further down the line and much closer to real mastery of this physical world in the arts and sciences.

>> No.22355537

When did this board become so infested with redditors

>> No.22355542

>>22355537
4chan has been featured on cable news several times.

>> No.22355546

>>22355537
When r/thedonald shut down

>> No.22355790

>>22349500
>nobody's here to impress anyone
I am sorry but you are wrong.

>> No.22355851

>>22353549
>So why did this guy kill himself.
https://youtu.be/Sh7QWBb2U2A

>> No.22356621

>>22355537
I see no redditors. What are you talking about?

>> No.22356865

>>22349423
do you think we'll ever get to see his suicide note ?

>> No.22356892

>>22356865
Isn't TPK basically his suicide note?

>> No.22356930

>>22356621
Nice try

>> No.22356947 [DELETED] 

i think i got stupider from when i read proust 1 ten years ago cuz i decided to read proust 2 this summer and like the sentences are so fucking long and sometimes he talks about stuff and i don't remember him ever really explaining what the hell he's talking about but i don't remember proust 1 being that much of a bitch to read i mean it had the page and half sentences n' shit, but idk man it didn't go all pynchon and start talking about some shit that he never set up. why do i mention proust and getting stupid in a dfw thread? because when i crack open infinite jest it's the same thing long page long sentences with a tinier font so probably twice as long as proust's page long sentences and i'm like i'm not sure i can read this before bed because i'll get drowsy halfway through a sentence and not be able to stop reading for another five minutes, but like i said i'm p sure my brain is deteriorating.

>> No.22357079

>>22349423
What if I use 4chan in a very sincere way?

>> No.22357084

>>22355471
>anon spends a lot of hours on 4chan, develops schizophrenia

>> No.22357177

>>22357084
pattern recognition is a thing

>> No.22357206

>>22349423
He didn't have a lot to say about the Internet, did he?

>> No.22357928

>>22349701
>just because the map doesn't say "thar be dragons here" doesn't mean that there isn't any dragons there.

I feel where you are coming from, I look at Chester Bennington from Linkin Park and have the same feeling, but there are still thoughts, concepts, feelings that were created that cannot be undone in us, even after their passing.

Life is bittersweet and it's important to remember the human being alongside of their struggles.

Let's learn from this.

>> No.22357940

>>22349884
>No one here really cares apart from the autistic trips/naivefags.

You may believe that 4chan is free of normies and unaccessible to the public, anyone with a phone or computer can access these forums anon.

There are those among you and I that care simply because they do.

Caring for other human beings wholly is a feeling that is not easily disturbed by nihilism.

>> No.22357954

>>22350553
You feel a stronger connection here than on other social media sites

>4chan is inherently a social media website
>Forum
>noun
>The public square or marketplace of an ancient Roman city that was the assembly place for judicial activity and public business.
>A public meeting place for open discussion.
>A medium for open discussion or voicing of ideas, such as a newspaper, a radio or television program, or a website

>> No.22358231

>>22356892
No, he wrote a private suicide note for his wife. He (apparently) compiled a rough manuscript for The Pale King and left it where it would be easily found.

>> No.22358562

>>22350491
Thank you for btfo'ing that burger.

Americans are just faggots that love to create Exoteric Fables to keep your attention, is how they socialize, i detest them.

>> No.22358995
File: 22 KB, 573x254, 1600030967481.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22349500

>> No.22360142

>>22349431
He said "Try to see meaning". I'm sure he wouldn't want you to force yourself into mundane office work if it gets you depressed.

>> No.22361104

He's just like me

>> No.22361654

>>22352787
Easy rules of thumb like that one work well for simple folk like yourself.

>> No.22361663

>>22357177
So is apophenia.

>> No.22361965
File: 1.33 MB, 812x1072, file.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>22352814
I think narcissism is the foundation. The connotation of that word overstates the trait, though. Humans are wired to want as much as they can get, even if it exceeds what is possible for them. Self hatred is the result of inability to obtain your desired ideal life. Talented people have it worse because it seems like they may actually have the ability to achieve their dreams, before running into their ceiling.

>>22352784
>just stop wanting things bro
>like just achieve enlightenment lmao

>> No.22362114

And do what? Everything is boring now the only thing I enjoy is playing sports

>> No.22362295

>>22349423
Would DFW like Antkind? Does Kaufman like DFW?

>> No.22363614

bump

>> No.22363845

>>22349423
I miss this little nigga like you wouldn't beleive