[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 158 KB, 640x916, friedrich-nietzsche-1231126.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
22294726 No.22294726 [Reply] [Original]

How did religion get the stereotype that it forfeits reason for faith's sake when the reality is that faith is the only thing keeping reason alive?

>> No.22294756

People has always taken their inventions as absolute, be religion or science. Art is the only place to elevate consciousness from this illusion through illusion.

>> No.22294837

>>22294726
I completely agree with you about the faith thing. Personally I think its because of science's history. It used to be that scientists were religious people who were motivated by their faith to try and uncover the mysteries of the universe. The vast majority of historical scientific theories were trying to prove something in line with faith. For instance, people trying to prove that there's a universal particle as the foundation of all matter because it coincides with their personal philosophical experiences/faith that thigs are made of the same essence.

When you have this same kind of skepticism and inquiry going on generation after generation, often times proving something different than these faith-hypotheses initially thought, you end up with a generation of people who treat science as its own independent authority rather than the skeptic analysis it began as. People nowadays don't often question the things they're taught and are much more motivated by their feelings than they think, hiding behind this vanity of logic and reason that they've been taught to believe since the "experts" have already figured everything out. Its quite absurd the deeper you go into this. Scientists used to be honest self-policers, but just look at modern academia and the emergence of the expert class in the last century and you can see quite clearly how much the field has changed.

>> No.22294915

>>22294837
a priest class rather than genuine science. I think that there is some value to reasoning over faith though. The Empyricists such as maciavelli and newton who are the building blocks for all this sciencedom religion shit saw first hand religous tyranny across the west and sought reason and things that can be proven as objectively true through something such as the scientific method. I dont think nietzche criticises the will to truth but rather sees it for what it is as solely will to power rather than an independant thing in and of itself.

>> No.22295807

>>22294837
Well said.