[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 84 KB, 1280x720, D43FABAC-505C-4AE2-9EEE-F857C2A33851.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21904891 No.21904891 [Reply] [Original]

Anyone else long to start really putting effort into writing something of worth but held up by the family life? Having two babies and working overtime to support the family leaves me no time to pursue my passion. I keep telling myself they’ll be old enough soon for me to get some writing time in but man it’s taking a toll on my mental health and all this noise and constant distraction makes me not want to even try my hand at writing yet.

>> No.21904929

>>21904891

>being a father
You have my pity.

I realize that the above sentiment is regarded by many as absurd, and that many normies are afraid of growing old alone and "looking pathetic" for not having procreated. But for myself, I've never wanted children. I would resent them, I would resent having to provide for them, and yes, on some level, I would feel badly for having unecessarily brought them into this world for no other reason than that I felt like rutting.

>> No.21904965

>>21904929
I appreciate your honesty and respect the view and that you were smart enough to recognize your nature. But for me I always knew I wanted to be a family man. Maybe its my dysfunctional family growing up maybe my nature idk but that went without saying for me. I dont regret it I love it but I think Kierkreggard was right in either/or. My second life would certainly be lived alone. But since I only have one I just must have raised a family, I don’t really care the reason for. Almost all childfree people dont take advantage of their time anyway though. Nonetheless I really long for it.

>> No.21904966

No. I have a work from home job that demands almost no time at all, wife, and no kids. I have no time commitments at all really. A few times I tried writing fiction and was so frustrated by it that I just stopped. The last time was 2 years ago and I’m 30 now. I haven’t even tried writing anything since. I still want to write, but I think it might be over for me.

>> No.21904985

>>21904966
I was in a very similar situation. But since having kids I’ve regretted not taking advantage of the time I had.

>> No.21904996

>>21904985
I mean, I regret it right now. I’ve started to regret a lot of the choices I’ve made and especially the things I didn’t do. It’s turned into a crisis for me lately to be honest.

>> No.21904998

>>21904891
Writing has usually been a profession for the independently wealthy. This is why there is no canon of proletarian literature.
There's a good reason why, even today, most English novels are about middle-class manners and mores. It's because only comfortable bourgeois tossers can afford to be writers.

>> No.21905001

>>21904965

>Almost all childfree people dont take advantage of their time anyway though.

This is certainly true of me. A day well squandered is one of my favorite pleasures. I am even squandering today.

>> No.21905055
File: 9 KB, 480x360, 1673012940670936.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>commute to work
>0 energy to write
>work from home
>0 desire to spend more time rotting in my room on my computer

>> No.21905066

>>21905055
You can write outside though

>> No.21905233

>>21905066
Too noisy and libraries smell

>> No.21906484

>>21904891
>Having two babies and working overtime to support the family leaves me no time to pursue my passion.
You literally chose this. If you care about writing so much, go put them up for adoption or become a meth dealer so you dont have to work anymore

>> No.21906532

>>21904891
A small amount daily. That's what you have, so make it not-zero and go from there. Rome isn't built in a day.

>> No.21906895

>>21904891
At least you have an excuse. I’ve lived like a NEET for 4 years, had all the time in the world and wasted it pitying myself. I realized I was never going to do anything creatively with my life and went on to become a normie wage slave and now, a happy family man.

>> No.21906901

Yes. I was depressed and addicted to a smartphone.

>> No.21906922

>>21906895
Are you actually happy now that you have a job (is it a job or a career) and a family?

>> No.21906924
File: 6 KB, 175x175, faulkner.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>I have no patience, I don't hold with the mute inglorious Miltons. I think if he's demon-driven with something to be said, then he's going to write it. He can blame the fact that he's not turning out work on lots of things. I've heard people say, "Well, if I were not married and had children, I would be a writer." I've heard people say, "If I could just stop doing this, I would be a writer." I don't believe that. I think if you're going to write you're going to write, and nothing will stop you.

>> No.21907013

>>21906922
Yes, very. I’ve moved on. I can’t blame family and career. I would have achieved the same (nothing) anyway, except now I would be single, lonely and broke, had I not taken the steps to correct course while there was still time. I had my days of leisure and I done nothing with it. Now if you’re still in your 20s and you already have something published and show promise, then that’s a different story…

>> No.21907102

>>21906924
will stop please

>> No.21907110

You need to get up around two in the morning and put your two hours into writing then. Otherwise just being married makes difficult, let alone married with kids.

>> No.21907124
File: 18 KB, 428x469, 1468391957261.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

How disgusting, to foist your inadequacies onto the backs of your family. If you wanted to write you would; don't blame the circumstances you find yourself in for why you consistently choose not to wield the current moment how you would with hindsight.

>> No.21907140

>>21907124
You're right but you write like a faggot.

>> No.21907141

>>21907140
sugg me

>> No.21907207

>>21907013
I’m 30. I can’t say that I’ve published. I’ve done very little writing, but I didn’t even consider writing for a living until the last few years and COVID lockdowns crushed my motivation and passion for it. The reason I asked if you’re happy is because I’m also single and have no kids. I haven’t dated in a few years. I tend to think that I want to marry and have kids but that it wouldn’t make me happy and I wouldn’t really be able to move on like you did. I always wonder when guys like yourself say these things if it’s a cope or if it’s sincere because I don’t know which it would be for me.

>> No.21907226

>>21904891
My advice is to focus on the work and babies and your health and when it becomes less hectic (it will unless you continuously have more and more babies) you will be hopefully satisfied with your efforts, healthy, and able to write. The experience will help you with your writing in some way you don't realize yet. Keep a journal, jot a few thoughts down in the evening or morning about what you did. That's still writing.

>> No.21907252

>>21904891
I always put aside writing if I ever give myself the opportunity to do anything else. So write early, write fast. Even if the stuff is bad or not necessarily on topic it gives you the impetus to finish a project. You won't be able to rationalize your way into it, just ignore your responsibilities the best you can.

>> No.21907266

>take out your cell phone
>set an alarm, for me 10:00 pm or 11:00 pm is best
>when the alarm goes off, drop whatever you're doing, open the word processor and write for one hour
>no youtube breaks, no eating, just write
>when the hour's up you can continue writing or go back to whatever else it is that's more important
Enjoy being productive again.

>> No.21907283

>>21907266
What do you usually write?

>> No.21907315

I didn’t discover my love for literature until I was about 25 or 26. I was 26 before I really read any poetry at all. When I was about 27 or 28 I spent a few months trying to write some stuff, mostly poems and short stories, but that left me feeling really frustrated. I thought maybe I wanted to be a comic artist for a while after that and spent some time drawing, but I got bored with that. I just turned 30 and I’m starting to write again, but I can’t help but worry that ship has already sailed, along with all the others.

>> No.21907330

>>21907283
erotic Christmas-themed harems

>> No.21907383

Obligatory reading for this thread:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lesson_of_the_Master

>> No.21908500

>>21907315
If you started that late, you should view writing as a hobby and not have unrealistic goals or you'll end up disappointed. That's a very late age to "discover" literature or poetry.

>>21904891
Some people manage to have a family life and also write so it's possible but it's not easy. I for one know I could not do it. Other people like Yeats have said you choose the perfection of the life or of the work. You make your choice and live with it.

>> No.21908512

>>21908500
Suppose that anyone at an older age should consider it only a hobby. What would you say if it’s the only thing they love and really want to do? That’s a tough position to be in.

>> No.21908545

>>21904891
I had three small children and a mortgage when I wrote and published my first novel. I went a long time without the motivation to force the time and realized I was becoming suicidal. So I got up an hour earlier each day. And worked an hour on it before going to bed. First draft took about six months. Second draft another six months and picked up by a publisher about a year later. You have to NEED to do it more than you don't want to do it. You're a writer or you want to be a writer. A friend and I figured out about 98 percent just want to be writers, looking at the 20 year progress among those we went to univ with.

>> No.21908580

>>21904996
You still have time. Granted, learning will be more difficult for you because you are past peak neuroplasticity, but why let something fucking retarded like that stop you? There are people every day who do shit that defies their biological limitations. Look at crippled olympians, blind painters, deaf musicians, etc. Not to mention that there are foods, supplements, habits, etc that you can implement to promote neuroplasticity once again. If it’s something you really want to do then do it. De Sade didn’t start writing until 47, Stoker didn’t release Dracula until he was 51. You might not be the next Faulkner or Proust but you can still write actual literature.

>> No.21908680

>>21907124
Then better to stop acting smug on 4chan before hindsight sticks its judicious fangs in your arse

>> No.21908857

>>21908580
Thanks for the advice. I really don’t think I have more time though. I plan on finishing a book and shopping it to publishers this year so we’ll see how it goes. I saved up enough money to take the entire year off work if I have to.

>> No.21908896

>>21904891
i feel you. i have three children. i was so productive back when I was still living celibate, i did not even know what a chan is. niggers tongue my anus now. i will never finish my monograph on famous philosopher with big the dick and I will most probably never finish my musical magnum opus. I am damned to be mediocre at best, and until my children grow up I will probably have lost my mind.
>mfw niggers tongue my anus