[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 17 KB, 200x296, Consciousness_Explained_(first_edition).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21791910 No.21791910 [Reply] [Original]

Are there any intellectual problems you believe are dead ends, and have no satisfying answer?

Consciousness is the big one for me

>> No.21791915

free will.
if we have it, great. that means we've always had it and you've just wasted your life debating whether it existed instead of exercising it.
if we don't, figuring that out won't change it, you're fated to keep doing whatever you're doing like some automaton regardless.

>> No.21791930

>>21791910
>Are there any intellectual problems you believe are dead ends
Yeah, basically every major intellectual problem that was invented with what's known as "modern philosophy" is a dead end. Very, very few exceptions.

>> No.21791932

>>21791930
And what problems would that be? Most metaphysical problems already existed in ancient times.

>> No.21791941

why i can't get laid

>> No.21791956

>>21791932
This. All the big questions were proposed in the Greek tradition, there is no "big question" that was only discovered in modernity.

>> No.21791965

>>21791915
>if we don't, figuring that out won't change it
No shit. The existence of free will indirectly poses another problem:
- are you a mechanical component of an external quasi-undead superorganism? (i.e. Are you externally tweakable?)
- or can you an individual and can miraculously resist evil scientists' sorcery via application of your magical freedom?

>> No.21791966

>>21791910
Serious question for you, because I am not educated about it, but does chatgpt alter your perception of consciousness? Do you think it has fundamentally and practically shifted how you view consciousness? Because to me, it has

>> No.21791969

>>21791965
>or are you an individual that can miraculously resist
typo

>> No.21791984

>>21791965
Reality is pre-determined for the most part

The future -> causes the present -> causes the past

Unfortunately your future self could be a colossal fuckup for all we know and he might mess something up

>> No.21792120

>>21791910
I solved it though retard. All I had to do was combine Proclus, Leibniz, Spinoza, Whitehead, and the Upanishads. Now I have a full Monadology AND a Manifoldology that explains how consciousness both emerges and does not need to emerge.

>> No.21792156

>>21792120
Drop us a link then big guy

>> No.21792160

>>21791966
Dude, chatgpt is not alive. It’s just an echo. Chatgpt has no way to consider his surroundings. It will always answer, and it’s answer is programmed by an outside source.

>> No.21792208

>>21792160
This makes me wonder, if senses are the basis for conscious, could attaching sensors to an AI give it a basis for consciousness? Somehow I feel the answer is no. AI can become an extremely robust form of mimicry, but it seems to lack an essential component somewhere that decides actual consciousness. And also, we have sensors that can perhaps replicate touch, movement, hearing, etc. but how do you determine what an AI should experience for, e.g. taste? If you gave an AI some whiskey, how does it form an opinion on it? Some people like it, some people don't, it's not something you can determine with surety.

In other words, even if you stick sensors onto an AI, I think what it's telling you is phony. Because it's not actually "cold" in any meaningful sense. Sure it will feign being "cold" much like a human does, but it's made of metal and wires, it doesn't feel anything, it only believes it's "cold" because the sensor recorded a low temperature and it's being piped back into the machine to reflect that. It's just a very elaborate form of imitation.

>> No.21792219

causality
free will
conciousness