[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 86 KB, 532x880, Severian.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21681733 No.21681733 [Reply] [Original]

Some faggot YouTuber mentioned that it's a dying earth novel that touches on themes of accelerationism and shit

>> No.21681739
File: 2.00 MB, 2710x1158, Shadow_of_The_Torturer.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21681733
It's basically pic related.

>> No.21681757
File: 1.16 MB, 1308x1080, Untitled.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21681733
>>21681739
It's a ,plodding, derivative slightly better than average speculative fiction book which zoomers on this board praise because they've never read anything other shitty fantashit novels Because it's slightly better than the shit you see on the fantasy section of your local book store the zoomers who read it proclaim it the greatest novel of the 20th century and better than actual literary authors like proust and borges. And because /lit/ has shitty taste and praises other shitty books like blood meridian and american psycho they flock to BOTNs like flies to shit and praise it to the high heavens
Pretty sad really

>> No.21681800

>>21681739
I actually expect it to be more like the panel on the right desu

>> No.21681818
File: 15 KB, 492x623, No_sister.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21681757
Pick your words wisely, chud. You might be able to bully Wolfefags, you won't win against us however. Especially not with an affinity for trash genre """writers""" such as Vance, Ashton Smith, Hodgson and Peake.

And Proust is garbage and not literature.

>> No.21681823

>>21681757
This is effective prop because you have an air of access to information that the average anon can’t match. But Shadow is legitimately very good. I’ve read enough of Dying Earth and William Hope Hodgson to know that Wolfe surpasses them in terms of prosaic skill to a significant degree. Can’t say much for story as I’ve only read Torturer but it was a legitimately great book.

>> No.21681892
File: 1.41 MB, 968x2600, dyingearthcorechart2.0.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't forget to check out the rest of the dying earth subgenre books if you like Book of the New Sun!

>> No.21681920

>>21681818
Wolfefags thinks blood meridian is peak literature. As expected
Read some better books. No, your fantashit author with his muscled, cringey self interest is not the greatest writer of all time. You're a drone who reads only what /lit/ and what cringey e celebs tell you is "based" and "redpilled"
Faggot
>>21681823
>>21681892
Then there is the fact that every character you meet in the story turns up again, hundreds of miles away, to reveal that they are someone else and have been secretly controlling the action of the plot. It feels like the entire world is populated by about fifteen people who follow the narrator around wherever he goes. If the next two books continue along the same lines, then the big reveal will be that the world is entirely populated by no more than three superpowered shapeshifters.

Everyone in the book has secret identities, secret connections to grand conspiracies, and important plot elements that they conveniently hide until the last minute, only doling out clues here and there. There are no normal people in this world, only double agents and kings in disguise. Every analysis I've read of this book mentions that even the narrator is unreliable.

This can be an effective technique, but in combination with a world of infinite, unpredictable intrigue, Wolfe's story begins to evoke something between a soap opera and a convoluted mystery novel, relying on impossible and contradictory scenarios to mislead the audience. Apparently, this is the thing his fans most appreciate about him--I find it to be an insulting and artificial game.

I agree with this reviewer that there is simply not enough structure to the story to make the narrator's unreliability meaningful. In order for unreliable narration to be effective, there must be some clear and evident counter-story that undermines it. Without that, it is not possible to determine meaning, because there's nowhere to start: everything is equally shaky.

At that point, it's just a trick--adding complexity to the surface of the story without actually producing any new meaning. I know most sci fi and fantasy authors seem to love complexity for its own sake, but it's a cardinal sin of storytelling: don't add something into your story unless it needs to be there. Covering the story with a lot of vagaries and noise may impress some, but won't stand up to careful reading.

>> No.21681946

>>21681920
There are no better books. Your trash genreshit doesn't count as books let alone literature, dumb chud.

>> No.21681963

>>21681920
Not reading allat cus I told to silly ass I only read book one. But I don’t read “fantashit”. Im not judging it against Sanderson. It’s just a quality book. A standout of the last 60 years of speculative fiction. Can you name a better entry? You mentioned the other dying earth books but they’re not as good. And they’re quite old anyhow. Would anyone who is being honest say WHH writes better prose than Wolfe?

>> No.21681965

>>21681946
I don't claim vance or hodgson are literature. They're better than wolfe but they certainly aren't literary.
You claim wolfe is up there with Proust and Nabokov, because you're a zoomer e celeb following drone faggot who has no actual taste and has never read anything but fantashit. Faggot. Because you're the type of "based" nigger worshipping american zoomer who thinks Blood Meridian is the only book ever written and unironically reads /lit/ charts for "redpilled" literature, you subhuman no taste having little worm

>> No.21681978

>>21681963
You're a retard ESL you thinks Wolfe is better than Borges and Nabokov
Faggot
>You mentioned the other dying earth books but they’re not as good.
Yes they are
>And they’re quite old anyhow.
Zoom zoom can't read any old literature
>Would anyone who is being honest say WHH writes better prose than Wolfe?
Yes

>> No.21681981

>>21681965
>Proust
Garbage
>Nabokov
ESL pedophile

Neither has written anything of value and you value them entirely because you are some kiddy-diddling homosexual who has nothing to look forward to in your life.

>> No.21681990

>>21681978
>You're a retard ESL
>you thinks Wolfe is better than Borges
Lmao. This is the thread. 1-2 month is long enough. Time to bury the vermin. Call it slip of tongue but he slipped off into the wrong places and he will feel it.

>> No.21681995

>>21681981
>>21681990
Troon seething
Keep on reading your "based" wolfe and "based" blood meridian you surface level pseud ESL faggot

>> No.21682013
File: 167 KB, 1056x1072, Sevjak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>mere mention of BotNS
>summons a storm of shit flinging schizos
Every time

>> No.21682019

>>21681995
You are fat, sad, friendless and have nothing good to look forward to in your life lol.

Reads boring garbage like Proust which he 100% ran into either on reddit or a top 100 chart on 4chan, decided that it wasn't posted about enough to base his personality off of and now pretends some homosexual's early 20th century is """literary""", while putting down actual good books without reading them.

This sort of NPC is picking a fight on literary taste? Gimme a fucking break retarded nigger. Even to call your taste surface level is exaggeration. Surely you nust have nutted a few times to Lolita like the pedo that you are. You should be castrated.

>> No.21682036

>>21682013
I miss the old times when we discussed the story instead of dissing GW and the other authors pointlessly. I get it, GW was really good, but that doesn't mean his predecessors were bad. I love Wolfe and Vance for different reasons. Proust and Nabokov as well. I hope we can talk like normal people someday.

>> No.21682038

>>21682013
>>21682019
You can keep reading your shitty fantashit novels and pretending they're comparable to actual literature you surface level faggot
That's all you'll ever be. You'll read what "based" /lit/ and your favorite e celebs tell you to read until the day you die. Because that's all you ever will be. A pathetic drone who develops no taste of his own and reads nothing but what /lit/ says is based
>Nabokov means you're a pedophile
Ironic coming from a Wolfefag, as Wolfe stated that Nabokov was one of his favorite authors.
>Among SF writers I'd include Algis Budrys, Joanna Russ, Ursula Le Guin, Damon Knight, Kate Wilhelm, Michael Bishop, Brian Aldiss, Nancy Kress, Michael Moorcock. And Theodore Sturgeon, Clark Ashton Smith, and Frederick Brown, who are dead now but not forgotten. One other SF writer I greatly admire is R.A. Lafferty, who writes very strange stuff that's hard to describe (the St Brendan's story in Peace is my version of an R.A. Lafferty story); he's an old man who's developed a cult following, a much neglected figure I think. Among the non SF writers I most enjoy are Nabokov (Pale Fire is a truly amazing book) and Borges. Robert Coover's The Universal Baseball Association is one of my favorite novels. I love a novel called The Tar Baby by Jerome Charyn, a writer I know nothing else about. Of course, there are a great many earlier writers I'm fond of. Proust, Dickens, E.M. Forster (whom I'm just now reading). Chesterton, whom I've already mentioned. George MacDonald, Poe, and Lovecraft (Lovecraft is usually regarded as an SF writer but to me he is the real successor to Poe's line of horror, though there really can't be a successor to Poe). I've read a lot of Arthur Conan Doyle. And I grew up with Kipling, which is one reason I used his lines from "The Dawn Wind" as an epigraph to The Citadel of the Autarch.
Imagine calling yourself a wolfe fan and insulting your author's favorite authors

>> No.21682044

>>21682036
Wolfe fans in this thread are saying Proust and Nabokov are shit, ignoring that Wolfe liked their writing.
Wolfe fans are mentally ill

>> No.21682051

>>21681978
I never said any of that lol. I will say that Clark Ashton Smith is superior to Wolfe, but he doesn’t write novels. Borges is more enjoyable for me but he also doesn’t write novels and doesn’t write dying earth books? I’ve only read Ficciones and part of The Aleph

>> No.21682058

>>21682051
So why are wolfe fans in this thread insulting borges?

>> No.21682068

>>21681892
Is adventure time dying earth?

>> No.21682078

>>21682038
I don't give a shit about fantasy, retard.
>Nabokov and Proust
>talks about developing a taste
Parading authors that are present on nearly on all /lit/ lists is not developing taste you retarded nigger. You just proved that you are some retarded newfag from reddit butthurt that you don't know enough obscure writers to pretend being a literary connoisseur lol. When you step out of these extremely safe (and overposted writer in Pedokov, just look at all the Lolita threads) writers, your taste bottoms to garbage like Ashton smith, Vance and Hodgson LMAO. You are low IQ and no amount of waffling and bellyaching will change it and neither will directing your incel rage at a certain author is bound to give you authenticity. Better find a busy intersection and jump.

>> No.21682090

>>21682078
>think. Among the non SF writers I most enjoy are Nabokov (Pale Fire is a truly amazing book) and Borges. Robert Coover's The Universal Baseball Association is one of my favorite novels. I love a novel called The Tar Baby by Jerome Charyn, a writer I know nothing else about. Of course, there are a great many earlier writers I'm fond of. Proust, Dickens, E.M. Forster (whom I'm just now reading). Chesterton, whom I've already mentioned.
By your standards Wolfe was a pedophile
You Low IQ surface level faggot. You're too dumb to read fucking proust (a laymans writer) so you stick to fantashit BOTNS, and insult the writers that Wolfe even said were his favorites, you are fucking sad

>> No.21682095

>>21682044
Projecting. I don't give a shit about Wolfe lol. Given how much of a midwit that you think Wolfe was, his like of Nabokov and Proust should already a big redflag. They are midwit writers, but you are the only low wit nigger who couldn't put two and two together lol.

>> No.21682101

>>21682058
Where?

>> No.21682113

>>21682101
Read the thread
>>21682095
Wolfefag lying and seething
You're pathetic. Too dumb to read a basic author like Nabokov so you resort to defending your fantashit author who, ironically was a fan of Nabokov

>> No.21682119

>>21682090
He could be anything. I don't give a shit. You are too retarded to follow a conversation. You have been shitting up these threads under the guise that Pedokov and prout are somehow untouchable literary authors when that is exactly the NPC opinion. Your retarded ass can't even see its own folly. They are about as literary as Dickens' 19th century Soap Operas were and only a low IQ chimp like yourself would put them on some pedestal to exalt his position in a largely onesided debate he has been trying to fill his time with over the last two months that he may keep at bay what he should have done a long time ago and put it in the noose and kick the chair.

>> No.21682129

>>21682119
>Among SF writers I'd include Algis Budrys, Joanna Russ, Ursula Le Guin, Damon Knight, Kate Wilhelm, Michael Bishop, Brian Aldiss, Nancy Kress, Michael Moorcock. And Theodore Sturgeon, Clark Ashton Smith, and Frederick Brown, who are dead now but not forgotten. One other SF writer I greatly admire is R.A. Lafferty, who writes very strange stuff that's hard to describe (the St Brendan's story in Peace is my version of an R.A. Lafferty story); he's an old man who's developed a cult following, a much neglected figure I think. Among the non SF writers I most enjoy are Nabokov (Pale Fire is a truly amazing book) and Borges. Robert Coover's The Universal Baseball Association is one of my favorite novels. I love a novel called The Tar Baby by Jerome Charyn, a writer I know nothing else about. Of course, there are a great many earlier writers I'm fond of. Proust, Dickens, E.M. Forster (whom I'm just now reading). Chesterton, whom I've already mentioned. George MacDonald, Poe, and Lovecraft (Lovecraft is usually regarded as an SF writer but to me he is the real successor to Poe's line of horror, though there really can't be a successor to Poe). I've read a lot of Arthur Conan Doyle. And I grew up with Kipling, which is one reason I used his lines from "The Dawn Wind" as an epigraph to The Citadel of the Autarch
I know seeing this makes you seethe and cry. You will never read good literature. You will never have any taste. Your favorite author is a fan of the same authors you're lambasting so much

>> No.21682133

>>21682068
Yes. Adventure Time is pinmacle Dying Earth series. I just rewatched season 1 the other day and realized Ooo is basically Dying Earth.

>> No.21682137

>>21682113
You are retarded nigger. Now Nabokov is also a basic author for you. You must be one of those retarded philistines with their backlogs way bigger than the pages that they have read. I bet your retarded ass has not read a single book in his life and was just trying to pass the time shitting up these threads because your real life is such a pathetic clownshow that you have adapted some fake retarded 'well read' persona to forget the pain of your life. Well you know what, your life is a pain in the ass of the world. Jump.

>> No.21682145

>>21682137
>Among the non SF writers I most enjoy are Nabokov (Pale Fire is a truly amazing book) and Borges.
Wolfefag really can't accept this. He's in deep denial right now. Infuriatingly typing at his keyboard and pretending he isn't buttblasted

>> No.21682156

>>21682129
I. Don't. Give. A. Shit. About. Wolfe.

He maybe a hack too. But he is no bigger hack than "the writers he likes" that your retarded low IQ ass was trying to pretend are literary just because. Your retarded low IQ ass fails to follow logic. If Pedokov and prout are good because Wolfe liked them, then for the ward of mental illness we will for convenience call your brain they should be shitty writers through and through. You are being a disingenuous NPC by pretending that they have any purpose being in the same sentence as the word "greatest".

>> No.21682175

>>21681733
Jesus Christ, all I wanted was a normal discussion of this novel. Who the fuck invited these schizos

>> No.21682176

>>21682156
Yes you do. You care about him which is why you're seething in this very thread. Because the author you love so much was a fan of the authors you're seething at.

>> No.21682180
File: 129 KB, 1024x1024, 1633192258952.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21682145
>wolfefag wolfe fag wolfefag
Check into a mental asylum. Gene Wolfe is garbage. There I said it. What I find ridiculous is that you are a mental patient given free rein over BOTNS threads for 2 months and nobody pointed it out. Hopefully I put you over the edge today.

>> No.21682192

>>21682176
Gene Wolfe is garbage. You are mentally ill. Everything you see is through this lens. You haven't even a read a single word of either Nabokov or Proust. It is an NPC tier put on by a 15 year old.

>> No.21682197

>>21682180
>Wojakposting
The sign of the irony-addled newfag.
Wolfefag is false flagging and pretending he isn't a wolfefag. Clearly mentally ill

>> No.21682205

>>21682192
I'd respect you more if you stopped denying that you were a wolfefag. But you're so pitiful and cowardly that you're false flagging as someone who doesn't like wolfe. It's pretty sad and pathetic. You have no taste apart from what /lit/ tells you is based.

>> No.21682207
File: 56 KB, 387x437, 1636592664269.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21682197
>Wolfefag is false flagging and pretending he isn't a wolfefag. Clearly mentally ill
Lol. If you had read Pedokov, you are basically a low IQ Kinbote.

>> No.21682211

>>21682207
>Among the non SF writers I most enjoy are Nabokov (Pale Fire is a truly amazing book) and Borges

>> No.21682218

>>21682180
>>21682192
>>21682207
>>21682197
>>21682137
>>21682129
>>21682078
>>21682038
Tell me you never touched a woman without telling me you never touched a woman

>> No.21682219

>>21682205
What is your taste? Post it. I couldn't give less of a shit about Wolfe, though I have enjoyed BOTNS. If your taste includes prout, Pedokov or Borges then get in the line. Not only is your taste dominated by what reddit and /lit/ tells you to read bit you are also low IQ for your hypocrisy.

>> No.21682231

>>21682219
Steppenwolf
>Post it. I couldn't give less of a shit about Wolfe, though I have enjoyed BOTNS. If your taste includes prout, Pedokov or Borges then get in the line. Not only is your taste dominated by what reddit and /lit/ tells you to read bit you are also low IQ for your hypocrisy.
So you're admitting to being a Wolfefag
and guess what, Wolfe belongs in the line by your standards

>> No.21682240

>>21682231
Lmao. Midwit shit like Hesse? Aren't there are like 4 Hesse books in the /lit/ starter chart? LMAO. Get in the line 15 year old newfag. So much for tranny screeching "NPC opinion". Lol.

>> No.21682244

>>21682240
Read steppenwolf before I even started browsing /lit/
Let's here your favorite books, surface level wolfefag

>> No.21682260

>>21682244
So you never even progressed ahead of literal teenage tier /lit/ memes? What next? Great Gatsby?
>Let's here your favorite books, surface level wolfefag
I'd respect you more if you had enough self awareness to not use the word 'ESL' when most of your posts are brazilian tier bad in grammar.

>> No.21682269

>>21682260
Wolfefag won't list his favorite books
Furiously searching up semi obscure books on google to get /lit/ cred you surface level faggot?
We know you love Wolfe. don't deny it

>> No.21682309

>>21682269
I drew out what I had to. Unlike you I don't hide behind the guise of namedropping "socially acceptable" writers to fit some meritocratic standard of literature, like your pretense with Nabokov and Proust in multiple threads.

I enjoy Bruno schulz, Ligotti, Borges, Mccarthy, Bernhard, Faulkner, Joyce and Melville. Go ahead and be an ass. Only Wolfe I have read is BOTNS and couldn't give a shit about his reputation. You just seemed like a specific sort of nutcase that would be fun to fuck with.

>> No.21682325

>>21681757
Meds, now

>> No.21682328

>>21682309
So surface level authors. Just as surface level as Hesse
it's clear you read what /lit/ thinks is "based" and "redpilled"
You're pathetic

>> No.21682384

>>21681733
It doesn't touch on accelerationism from what I'm aware and I've read it 5 times. It's my favorite novel in general, reading Wolfe is an immense pleasure. I've read almost everything he wrote and he's just fantastic. His prose is always fascinating, dynamic and changes in each novel, with the frame changing as well. He was a man of immense imagination, skill and the ability to craft authentic characters. I would recommend him to everyone who enjoys quality literature in general.

>> No.21682385

>>21682328
I don't give a shit about this surface level business you birdbrained retard. I already told you that unlike your retarded ass I don't read for pretense. Besides, those guys are mariana trench compared to Hesse lmao. You are the one who should be worried about not having a single author by your own taste.

>> No.21682449

>>21682036
Literally impossible in the modern era

>> No.21682455

>>21682449
It was possible before the anti Wolfe schizo. And it can happen again if people just ignore him.

>> No.21682529

>>21682384
I vaguely remember the YouTuber saying that severian traveled through time and become jeebus or some shit

>> No.21682557

>>21682529
He may have said it, but it's not what happened. Severian was a prophet figure, a saint of sorts, but hardly space Jesus.

>> No.21682618

>>21682013
fun fact, you can summon him on other boards too and he will appear with his copypasted goodreads reviews and home made wojak pictures

>> No.21682634

>>21681733
It's all things to all people, apparently. Just read the book you lil bitch.

>> No.21682778

>>21682634
Y u so mean :(

>> No.21682812

>>21681757
You really do this shit no matter what.

>> No.21682903

>>21682778
Just read the fucking book.

>> No.21683024

>>21682068
yea

>> No.21683442

>>21681892
Is Viriconium really dying Earth? It seems like swordy man and bird grandpa keeping being reborn, or just never die, so things must be ticking along quite nicely.

>> No.21683634

>>21682557
Did you not read Urth? He very explicitly becomes future-Jesus. Not in that he's the son of God from the start, but in that all of society is fabricated to uplift him specifically to such a paragon status that God's angels will grant him the power to bring the power of God back with him. When he returns, he is certainly space-Jesus. None of this is reading deep into the events, it is just what happens.

>> No.21683742

>>21682812
I am entirely convinced it is him creating these threads

>>21681892
Having made the attempt to read it recently I can say with complete certainty that Viriconium is so far below everything else on the chart in terms of quality it has no business being there.

>> No.21683752

>>21683634
No

>> No.21683753

>>21681733
This lost me when the characters started time traveling.

>> No.21683769

>>21682175
I think it's just one guy who seems to never leave this board and will shit up any thread about BOTNS.

>> No.21683789
File: 128 KB, 649x637, FreeRentFree.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21681757
>>21681920
>>21681965
>How many times must we tell you, old man?

>> No.21684976

>>21683742
>I am entirely convinced it is him creating these threads
No, he literally checks every thread.

>> No.21685430

>>21681733
What is the theme of the novel? Is it like dark souls?

>> No.21686147

>>21681800
Makes sense as you browse /lit/

>> No.21687580

>>21685430
It's the Dark Souls of literature.

>> No.21687876

>go into any wolfe thread nowadays
>half the posts are filtered because it's some discord tranny posting
unironically this board's worse than /v/