[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 161 KB, 318x292, 1418506971818.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21643417 No.21643417 [Reply] [Original]

what would dfw think of AI, especially chatgpt?
https://voca.ro/1vZSuHeaKxsQ

>> No.21643455

>>21643417
He would probably pontificate and say something smarmy and faux-self-deprecating about what Gaddis would've thought instead given his obsession with the automatic music of player pianos.

Alternatively:
>It's difficult to say for certain what David Foster Wallace would think about AI, as he passed away in 2008 and the field has advanced greatly since then. However, based on his writing and philosophy, I believe he would approach the topic of AI with a mix of intellectual curiosity, skepticism, and concern. Wallace was known for his incisive and critical examination of the impact of technology on society, as well as his interest in exploring the nature of consciousness and human experience. In his writing, he often explored the ways in which technology and media can be both liberating and constraining, and he was deeply concerned with the effects of these forces on our relationships, our sense of self, and our sense of purpose. Given these concerns, it's likely that Wallace would approach AI with a critical eye, considering both its potential benefits and its potential drawbacks. He may have been intrigued by the idea of machines that can mimic human thought and decision-making, but also wary of the implications of this development for our understanding of consciousness and agency. Overall, I think Wallace would have approached the topic of AI with his characteristic blend of intelligence, humor, and compassion, engaging with the complex and often paradoxical nature of this rapidly-evolving field with the same kind of rigorous introspection that characterized his writing.

>> No.21643506

It's too bad we'll never know. I wonder if he would use tiktok if he were alive today.

>> No.21643831

>>21643506
>I wonder
Why would someone over the age of 20 have been using tiktok lol
I think it's pretty damn safe to say that, no, he wouldn't.

>> No.21644054

>>21643506
He would've loved incels and incel culture. I bet he would've written a novel with an incel protagonist

>> No.21644277

>>21643417
Did you use ElevenLabs for this?

Imagine having DFW read you bedtime stories before you go to bed. Peak kino

>> No.21644299

He would've used it to titillate whatever his vile fetishes were before offing himself again

>> No.21644374

>>21643417
There isn’t a universe in the multiverse where David does not kill himself.

>> No.21644676

>>21643455
the text you posted had me thinking - chatgpt seems to be able to write fluent analysis easily, but never actually cites specific, relevant evidence to support its claim. will this always be a drawback to ai?

>>21644374
true

>> No.21645935

>>21644676
You can get it to cite evidence by asking it specifically to do that, although admittedly quite often it cites only very obvious passages, like the first line, or quotations completely irrelevant to the question. I also feel at the moment that it doesn’t actually seem to know very much about DFW, and here it was horoscope-tier general statements that could be applied to any author. It also can‘t do a good parody of him at all unlike some other authors like Salinger.

>> No.21645974

>>21645935
chatgpt can say some ridiculous and stupid shit. for instance:

The line "fire or fire" appears in the T. S. Eliot poem "The Waste Land." This line appears in Part III of the poem, which is titled "The Fire Sermon." The full stanza containing the line reads:

"Burning burning burning burning
O Lord Thou pluckest me out
O Lord Thou pluckest
burning burning burning
Fire, fire, fire, fire,
Or fire."

"The Waste Land" is one of Eliot's most famous works and is widely regarded as one of the most important poems of the 20th century. The poem is known for its complex structure, multiple voices,

>> No.21646053

>>21644374
https://voca.ro/19juo1ZYw73N