[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 12 KB, 208x300, 11 (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21622541 No.21622541 [Reply] [Original]

Is there any book about a slut who met a "good man" and tries to change her ways and behavior to be deserving of him? Preferebly if he is the opposite of her in body and mind and rejects her initially.

Something like what women like so much, that "I can fix him" trope, but with the roles changed. "I can change her"

>> No.21622549

>>21622541
"I can save her"
pretty woman

>> No.21622559

>>21622549
Probably a better description of what i want to read is "I want to change for him"

>> No.21622564

>>21622541
Harry Potter.

>> No.21622680

>>21622541

"Bad girl redeemed by good boy".

This doesn't happen very often because it goes directly contrary to the basic impulses of the sexes. Women don't want a well-behaved wimp. They want the toughest guy around, so he can protect them against the world, and get them stuff. They don't want someone they can bully; they want someone who can bully them (but doesn't).

A common trope: wild woman *tries* to fit in with a boring 'good boy', and fails (usually because there's some bad boy she's drawn to).

Some obvious examples, athough the 'bad woman' isn't always a literal slut (Wild Woman / Good Boy / Bad Boy given in brackets) —

Wuthering Heights (Catherine / Edgar / Heathcliff)
The Sound and the Fury (Caddy / Herbert / Dalton Ames) [Herbert isn't really a nice guy, though. He's a P.O.S.]
Anna Karenina (Anna / Vronsky / Karenin)
Morte D'Arthur (Guinevere / Arthur / Lancelot)
Madame Bovary
A Room With A View
The Magnificent Ambersons
etc

Similar to this is

The Idiot

Where the wild woman is tempted to go the nice guy route but in the end doesn't because she's just too self-destructive.

Even where it (sort of) works, it's usually quite strained, e.g. —

Light in August — Lena uses beta provider Byron Bunch, but you get the feeling she's going to exploit him and push him around. She realizes he's a good person, but she isn't really guilty about using him. When it comes to supporting their children, women don't do guilt.

Some examples where it (sort of) works:

Emma — E. realizes Mr. Knightly is right and she's a stupid cow, sort of. But she's not exactly that guilty. She just grows up a bit.

Count Belisarius [Robert Graves] — Antonina starts off as an entertainer/prostitute, and marries super-Christian Belisarius, and sort of feels guilty and tries to behave well, but it's all quite up-and-down.

Far From the Madding Crowd — Bathsheba finally agrees to marry nice guy Gabriel Oak, but only after she's exhausted EVERY OTHER POSSIBILITY.

The White Company [Arthur Conan Doyle] — Maud realizes Alleyn is a good guy and tries to behave better for him.

>> No.21622947

>>21622680
I know but books doesn't have to be realistic, i just want a book with the trope "I want to change for him"

>> No.21622965

Dude, no stop, you can do better.

>> No.21622969

>>21622947
this nigga coping over some slut roastie, let her go fool

>> No.21623119

>>21622947
lmao I was thinking like this when she turned my 10+ "bodycount" based tradwife™, then I got cucked

>> No.21623127

>>21623119
>10+ "bodycount" based tradwife™
kek, it's always like this
t. grew up in strictly catholic small town

>> No.21623526

>>21623127
Mexicans don't count

>> No.21623900

Why go for fiction written by cynical men? It seems like Theodora went this way upon marrying Justinian I. And they were real people too

>> No.21623915

>>21622541
No, because this has never happened in the history of women

>> No.21623967
File: 77 KB, 1600x900, wojak.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dXcP_WfUMyg

This guy got his ass beat a few times just to make you guys insecure. If that's not agape I don't know what is. Maybe the Chads and Tyrones of the world fuck everyone's wives and girlfriends because they don't have gf themselves. They're permanently stuck as pic related. Help a bro' out, tell it to him how it is, you don't know how he may thank you one day. Helping out with your horny chick is one way, so I don't see the big dealio but whatever.

>> No.21624005

>>21622541
Tess of the D'urbervilles?

There's a sort of denial of her own past during which she tries to be good too, taking it to the point where she tells him the truth and he rejects her.

>> No.21624021

>>21622541
Idk about books but I think you'll only find this in hallmark movies. Girlboss bitch goes to a tiny town and falls in love with the humble and simple yet oh so charming small town stud. She finally realizes she should take it easy or that money isn't everything. They marry. The end.

>> No.21624030

>>21622541
Literally every other Isekai Light Novel

>> No.21624067

>>21624021
I wrote a romance novel where a tsundere viking girl falls in love with a humble, shy, awkward farmboy because I couldn't find a substitute and it's a power fantasy for me.

>> No.21624078
File: 155 KB, 583x800, du9da1-859f31ed-6e0f-4175-ad68-69cdbdc6bdaf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21622541
A Brother's Price by Wen Spencer.

It's low fantasy about a world where women greatly outnumber men, and the social order is therefore matriarchial, built on marriages arranged between families of women "trading" their brothers to other groups of sisters in exchange for their brothers, (hence "brother's price"), and then sharing that male between them all. The men are therefore highly valued, coddled, protected, and kept firmly in the kitchen, both literally and by strict cultural traditions. The plot concerns one such wimpy princess of a dude from a small family attracting the attention of a very powerful female figure and her sisters, and the ensuing drama, politicking and adventures.

The key character development of the story being the domestication of those authoritative and powerful women by the protagonist through their courtship and marriage.

Don't judge me, I wanted a non-traditional harem thing written by a women, and while quality-wise it reads like fanfiction, in many places it is rather hot.

>> No.21624092

>>21622541
>>21622541
When dee marries the old timey cricket in the gang cracks the liberty bell

>> No.21624262

I've had bpd pyscho chicks try to seduce me a good christian boy at various points

>> No.21625017

I've not been able to find one and that sucks. This shit is so fucking hot jesus christ.

>> No.21625051

>>21622541
I dont know, but seems unlikely for som reasons
First, women are the ones who read about romance, and this scenario doesnt appeal to their fantasies. They likr when the man changes for them, they dont like to read about women making an effort, they want a self insert perfect protagonist
Second, it makes no sense for a woman to chace her slutty ways. Sluttines is a matter of sexual past, thats what condemns a girl. It makes sense for a woman to want a bad boy to change because shes concerned with his future behavior. Like Oscar Wilde said, women want a guy with a good future, men want a girl with a good past, and he also said that men want to be a woma first romance and women want to be a man first love
Per my point 2, the story doesnt make sense. And, if if it did make sense, per my point 1, no one would write that because men write about other stuff and women and men who want so sell them stuff write from the "girl changes the bad guy" POV

>> No.21625061

>>21623526
eastern europe

>> No.21625066

>>21625051
I fucked up
I emant to say me want to be a womans first romance, women want to be a mans LAST love, not first

>> No.21625077

>>21622541
Its a play but a streetcar named desire has a woman pretending shes decent to get a good and naive man
I think thats as close as you will get, women pretending or trying and failing like the other anon said