[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.21 MB, 1464x1986, Nietzsche.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
21234104 No.21234104 [Reply] [Original]

>The man of virtue, too, helps the unfortunate, but not, or almost not, out of pity, but prompted by an urge which is begotten by the excess of power.

LMAO this faggot is describing narcissism, why do you like him?
>"Whereas prosocial behavior is often regarded as an altruistic act, there can also be egoistic motivations behind seemingly prosocial behaviors. Given that individuals high in narcissism express less empathy towards others and feel their own lives are more important than those of other people, they should be more likely to engage in prosocial behaviors if driven by egoistic motivation."

>> No.21234138

>>21234104
>LMAO this faggot is describing narcissism,
Is that all you have to say?

>> No.21234152

>>21234104
Anon it says excess of power not excess of pride. I guess you're too much of a hylic to imagine multiple possible motivations for performing a given act.

>> No.21234167

Yeah that’s what he was based for. Aristotle said the exact same shit when talking about magnanimity and the great souled man. The world seems smaller to people that possess great virtue; who cares for wealth when wealth is the province of subhuman hagglers that spend their time scheming about how to squeeze an extra penny out of their day? It’s also why Aristo said great men shouldn’t value their lives, because clinging to life is a sign of cowardice and fear of fate. These beliefs are completely bound up with the morality of the warrior which Neet was consciously trying to invoke

>> No.21234173

Pity, sorrow provoked by the thought of another's suffering, implies a loss of power. A virtuous man helps another not because the other's situation makes him feel bad, but because the exercise of his power makes him feel good.

>> No.21234186

Narcissists have the greater will to power than you. They make more money, they have more sex, and their art gets more recognition.

>> No.21234193

>>21234138
>narcissism
I will finish his point. The anthropology of narcissism is that it is NOT human nature. To be trained to be a narcissist is stupid, humans are self-focused creatures but they must be loving to others in a non-narcissistic way.

>> No.21234780
File: 136 KB, 768x643, xelf power scale.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>21234152
Self power in Nietzsche language means egoism. Nietzsche is an ''''egoist''' and denounces altruism and there is no path out other than egoism. People who report to have higher personal power report to be slightly more narcissistic in every factor except Entitlement/Exploitation.

https://sci-hub.se/https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1467-6494.2011.00734.x
(Leadership/Authority was the most important factor, not Superiority/Arrogance)

>> No.21234800

>typical narcissist generosity
>Hey I give you food, now will you give me your silver diamond you paid with your hard working monerino?
>Nietzschean generosity
>Hey I give you tips on how to stop complaining about food and instead be as GREAT as me, now will you give me good wisdom?
They barely have anything in common

>> No.21235564

>>21234186
Narcissists are just conman, they just sell themselves better, they are not hitmen and they never go for drastic measures

>> No.21235732

>>21234104
>>21234193
neetche bad because he did not subject himself to the longhouse groupthink. riveting stuff.

>> No.21235744

>>21234104
a virtuous man should help the unfortunate only if they see something deserving and respectable in them. so as to cultivate that goodness.

>> No.21237144

>>21234104
>LMAO this faggot is describing narcissism
No he isn't. Narcissists are motivated by anxiety, not excess of power.

>> No.21237161

>>21234104
>narcissism
"This, however, is mine other manly prudence: I am more forbearing to the vain than to the proud.
Is not wounded vanity the mother of all tragedies? Where, however, pride is wounded, there there groweth up something better than pride.
That life may be fair to behold, its game must be well played; for that purpose, however, it needeth good actors.
Good actors have I found all the vain ones: they play, and wish people to be fond of beholding them—all their spirit is in this wish.
They represent themselves, they invent themselves; in their neighbourhood I like to look upon life—it cureth of melancholy.
Therefore am I forbearing to the vain, because they are the physicians of my melancholy, and keep me attached to man as to a drama.
And further, who conceiveth the full depth of the modesty of the vain man! I am favourable to him, and sympathetic on account of his modesty.
From you would he learn his belief in himself; he feedeth upon your glances, he eateth praise out of your hands.
Your lies doth he even believe when you lie favourably about him: for in its depths sigheth his heart: “What am I?”
And if that be the true virtue which is unconscious of itself—well, the vain man is unconscious of his modesty!—"

>> No.21237727

>>21237144
That's vulnerable narcissism you fucking dipshit. Vulnerable narcissism pathologically commits to altruism. Grandiose narcissism commits to altruism only when it suits the ego.

>>21237161
I don't fucking care you dipshit. Grandiose narcissism commits to altruism to gain egoistic praise. Nietzsche is describing the same thing, the virtuous man helps others out of an abundance of ego.

You're describing pride vs. modesty here, which was not my concern. Egoistic gain does not necessarily mean pride.

>> No.21237754

>>21237727
uh no if you actually understood what was written he is comparing pride with vanity and that vanity's main difference of virtue be in ironically its "modesty", that is, its dependency on others to assert its value as oppose to pride having its own conception of value of itself independent of others opinion.

>> No.21237777

>>21234104
nothing here is saying that altruism can only be done out of egoism or is only/best done by a narcissist, but that it CAN be done and motivated by egoistic desires and that its to be expected that those high in narcissism are to be expected to do things traditionally seen as altruistic but for actually egoistic reasons.

>> No.21237890

>psychology
Not even going to read this thread, you're a brainlet goodbye.

>> No.21238056

>>21237754
So pride vs. modesty. Got it. He is praising unconscious modesty, which results from vanity, in contrast to grandeur, delusional pride. Not literally modesty for modesty's sake, which he has negative opinions on here:
>To learn to feel respect after the fashion of 'those like us,' as if we ourselves had no measure in us and no right to determine values; the effort to evaluate as others do, against the inner voice of our taste, which is also a form of conscience, becomes a terrible, subtle constraint.

He only praises modesty in certain contexts, and in your context he is praising a man who is proud of his own accomplishments but self deprecates himself in the name of tragic uncertainty. In other words, a man who has pride but also sets himself in reality facing the others around him.

That being said nothing he says ever praises narcissism outside of marginal contexts. He is at best a man who advocates psychological constructs of things like healthy selfishness and nothing more, so this thread is gay.

>>21237890
>we should ignore psychology because!!!

>> No.21238572

>>21234104
>Narcissism
Some people are simply better than others. How could they possibly be in a better position if not?
>>21234193
Nietzsche already BTFO'd appealing to nature in beyond good and evil. It's just a sophistic trick by philophasters who project their own prejudices onto nature.

>> No.21238607

>>21234780
>Self power in Nietzsche language means egoism.
That's not really true. What do you mean by egoism? If by egoism we understand the affirmation of the true ego, the personality and its power, then yes, Nietzsche would approve of that. If by egoism we mean the affirmation of all sorts of irrational desires, prejudices and rapacious wishes that dwell within the ego but are not the ego, Nietzsche would disapprove of those, unless they happen to liberate and raise up the ego itself, which is not very likely, as they tend to enslave it in almost every case.

>> No.21238639

>>21238607
This is false. Nietzsche denies the existence of the ego or soul. He thinks life itself is the will to power.
>irrational desires
This is the complete opposite of what he thinks. What does "irrational" even mean?

>> No.21238721

>>21234780
>Leadership/Authority was the most important factor, not Superiority/Arrogance
THAT PROVES MY FUCKING POINT YOU SACK OF SHIT
He's advocating at best an altruism motivated by confidence, not hubris