[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 991 KB, 1920x1080, The End of Civilization.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20829325 No.20829325 [Reply] [Original]

The End of Civilization Edition

Previous Thread:>>20818915

>Recommended reading charts (Look here before asking for vague recs)
https://mega.nz/folder/kj5hWI6J#0cyw0-ZdvZKOJW3fPI6RfQ/folder/guIyhAzS

>Archive
>>/lit/?task=search2&search_subject=sffg

>Goodreads
https://www.goodreads.com/group/show/1029811-sffg

>> No.20829335

Has review anon dropped by recently? Last I recall seeing him around was early-mid July.

>> No.20829337
File: 884 KB, 3400x1600, 1656371372540.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read Bakker.

>> No.20829355

Recommend me a non erotic book with cute waifus

>> No.20829367
File: 50 KB, 473x571, 6491553ba8fdd240a12ea4117618f9ad.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20829355
Realm of the Elderlings

>> No.20829381
File: 659 KB, 1106x1012, 1463703806735.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I need something with good romance.
I am lonely.

>> No.20829395

>>20829367
I heard it's too depressing

>> No.20829401

>>20829355
Don't listen to the other anon. There is some heavy NTR stuff in Realm of the Elderlings.

>> No.20829404
File: 212 KB, 1080x1080, 6f33e55f58b3ac818664d4a01e02be98.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20829381
Realm of the Elderlings

>> No.20829408

This afternoon I had a dream that my dad suggested Book of the New Sun to someone, it was unclear to who but it wasn't me, and my dad doesn't read anymore, so I took it as a prompt to get Shadow and Claw and see how I like it.

>> No.20829412
File: 454 KB, 1447x2200, Isolate.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20829325
Isolate, The Grand Illusion #1 - L.E. Modesitt Jr. (2021)

Reading this book was a vicarious experience. If you aren't able to appreciate the details, then I don't think you'd enjoy it, because it was almost entirely details. The characters, the setting, the plot, and everything else were subordinated to the minutiae of day to day life. Modesitt said he wrote this to be a realistic account of working in a fantasy government. It had me thinking a lot about comparative governments. Even though I'm accustomed to Modesitt's style I struggled for the first quarter to settle into reading it. Over time it became more and more comfortable to read. If this doesn't happen, then it may be rather difficult to enjoy. Unlike the author's other works, no map is provided, which was intentional. Despite the protagonist's daily life as a bodyguard and aide to a government official who is under constant threat of being assassinated being so detailed, everything outside of their direct experience is vague. Several contemporary issues are addressed from a different angle which provided a lot for me to contemplate.

It'd be easy to call this steampunk, but that'd be wrong. The aesthetic is almost the opposite of punk, and what are punk derivatives if not their aesthetic? The author describes it as a High-Tech Coal-Power Fantasy. The technology level is early 20th century, minus anything to do with electricity. Modesitt said that he did a lot of research into what would be possible without electricity, and it had me doing the same for a bit as well. They have cars, guns, and even automated manufacturing using punched card computing. The primary fantasy aspect is the Empaths, a tiny minority of which 75% are women, who are able to read and influence emotions. The protagonist is a male Isolate, which means he's impervious to empathic abilities. The deuteragonist is a female Empath. Susceptibles are those whom Empaths can take total control of and make into mindless slaves. Their treatment varies by country, but they're always the lowest social class. The average person has a slight mixture of these traits.

Everything takes place in Guldor, a single country in a secondary world. Its primary cultural influence is European. Other countries exist, but they almost only serve as reminders that there are worse places to live. Guldor is a constitutional empire with a unicameral legislature composed of sixty-six members. There are also district level government officials. The Emperor is mostly powerless, though revered. Their society is a political caste system of Commercers, Landors, and Crafters. The government is set up to where no party can get more than 45% of the elected positions, so it must always be a coalition government. Society at large treats women as inferiors who ought to to know their place and dress very modestly. However, in the previous century women covertly assassinated government officials until they were granted suffrage.

Rating: 4/5

>> No.20829428

>>20829381
>>20829395
>>20829404
You won't find more romance in any fantasy than in Realm of the Elderlings, honestly.
I don't think it's depressing, it gets very sad in places though. A lot of the sadness is romance related too, so I think it says something about the depth of it.

>> No.20829445

>>20829395
It is depressing. The fact that the girls are indeed cute, only make it that much more tragic.

>>20829381
Maybe the sharing knife? I haven't read it, but I hear it's good. I'm just not interested in romances. But it's written by Bujold, who incorporates a bit of romance into everything she writes. I trust she can write a good romance story.

>> No.20829475

>>20829335
I assume this is of whom you ask.
>>/lit/?task=search2&search_username=of+20

There are a couple others who have been writing about what they've read though. He hasn't updated his GR profile since mid-July, though he's logged into it more recently than that. He made a brief appearance in the discord server last month.

>> No.20829483

>>20829475
Oops, forgot to remove it. Oh well.

>> No.20829534
File: 192 KB, 462x347, 1533735682111.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Oathbringer?
More like Yawnbringer.
I heard Rhythm of War is even worse so I am not sure about continuing now.
I might have to go with the audiobook version for the autio-pilot mode.

>> No.20829571
File: 49 KB, 480x478, 9c1de5ec2040c52c5672b1e434ef2a69.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Read Bakker AND Reverend Insanity.

>> No.20829604

>>20829571
A dangerous fusion

>> No.20829674

How do you pronounce Iain as in Iain M. Banks??

>> No.20829680

>>20829674
Same as Ian, I'd assume.

Eeyan

>> No.20829744
File: 58 KB, 680x850, Gerald-Brom-Art-painting-illustration-New-Elric-680x850.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Do you like Elric or the Witcher more?

>> No.20829833
File: 128 KB, 768x1152, Path_Flames_Final-1-768x1152.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20829744
For me it's Asho!

>> No.20829857
File: 1.97 MB, 1668x2224, 8yjwubqo8di61.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20829870

Read cradle

>> No.20829926
File: 19 KB, 366x380, 1465743152195.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Why can't I just make myself read an e-book?
It just doesn't feel right. Why Why Why Why

>> No.20829936
File: 38 KB, 475x318, 1469635942022.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Just wondering Lovecraft only wrote short stories and not novels? I'm thinking of getting the Necronomicon compilation

>> No.20829947

>>20829926
dunno man I've been reading ebooks since 1999

>> No.20829952

>>20829926
Reading e-books feels soulless I think a cyberpunk chinese cartoon pointed that out
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CFe64fH_DF4

>> No.20829954

>>20829367
>The trilogy is narrated as a first-person retrospective with an older version of the protagonist Fitz recounting his memories of the past. Prominent plot elements include the bond between Fitz and a wolf, which has drawn attention for its themes of otherness, as well as the dichotomy between two forms of magic, the socially acceptable Skill and the despised Wit, viewed by some scholars as an allegory for queerness.
Hmmmm.......no.

>> No.20829987

>>20829936
Just short stories. The Randolph Carter stories a could be considered a novella. Not too impressed with the selection in the Necronomicon if you're talking about the Gollancz compilation. You can get his complete works for pretty cheap.

>> No.20830016

E-readers are for boomers

>> No.20830022
File: 1.23 MB, 254x254, 1618865034587.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20830016
>He buys books

>> No.20830031
File: 143 KB, 400x600, Retribution Engine Zelsys.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20829335
>>20829475
Dad's home.

Got a double feature and working on a write-up for the 3rd. I'll save my Dungeon Crawler Carl review for the next thread.

Retribution Engine: Arc 1 by Akaso

[System]

Changing the formula for this one as each character represents an aspect of the system and how it’s applied in this world. There are 3 systems at play: fog breathing, alchemy, and homunculi augmentation. With fog breathing you’re intaking a specific version of life essence (known as essential), usually what’s most potent in the immediate vicinity. The most common are Albedo (essence of the soul), Nigredo (essence of decay), Rubedo (essence of battle, survival, intense violence), and Viriditas (essence of life). By focusing your breathing you can enhance your body’s natural abilities or manifest techniques and advance personal traits/affinities.

Fog breathing is the rarest of these abilities while most common soldiers practice alchemy to augment their unit and provide them potions and supplies, improving overall efficiency. Examples include ‘vigor potions’ which restores one’s stamina and pushes off the feeling of fatigue or bodily enhancement via intaking essential. This often puts the person consuming the potion on par with a Fog Breather except there’s a heavy toll on mind and physical body though most are lucky not to survive. The final system is personal augmentation by growing a homunculus with a specific feature and harvesting the creation at the end of its life. Vocal cord enhancements, eye enhancements, maybe a pickled pygmy in a jar if that’s up your alley?

All these systems can manifest techniques and physical enhancements, which I’ll detail through the characters.

[Our MCs and the Plot]

Zelsys is a perfect sexual specimen who wakes up in a tank full of green Viriditas – pure life essence. As she comes to completely, she learns that she’s in an underground bunker and some of the Viriditas has consumed nearby corpses, congealing into blobs capable of thrusting bones from their biomass. These creatures along with a voice in the back of her head telling her to flee quickly drive her out of the facility as it sinks. Before she escapes, she manages to recover a few artifacts – specifically an Attribute Reader. She emerges in the Exclusion Zone – a massive cordoned off region of Nigredo that has rotted the region and turned most creatures into heinous monsters.

>> No.20830034
File: 101 KB, 400x600, Zelsys.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20830031
Coming across a small party of ex-soldiers stuck in the Zone, she’s welcome into their party on the grounds that she let them use that device she recovered. This device allows them to not only discern their own TRAITS and ABILITIES but establish a new identity completely. With a way out of the EZ, they start to head back home only to be confronted by a necrotic bear wheN it’s revealed that Zelsys is a Fog Breather. Despite lacking memories before her tube she has strange affinities with weapons produced in the region: cold-iron blades capable of changing their shape to fit their chosen user. Without the proper TRAITS you can still wield these devices, but it’s dead weight and seems to shift its center of mass to mock its wielder.

Quick on her feet, she does her best to have others provide her details of the world and magic system as she has amnesia. Her intuition is often dictated by a voice in her head that seems to possess some authority of thought. This isn’t always conveyed the best as characters stumble into exposition dumps while she grins wickedly to herself and introspects about how clever she must be to survive. Luckily this drops after the first few chapters as the group solidifies. I also mentioned sexual specimen above because nearly every situation she walks into she is met with ‘lecherous gazes’ since every female in this story is a bisexual dime piece.

Our small party of ex-soldiers consist of Makhus, Zefaris and Sigmund. The only survivors of their outfit after a Rubedo-fueled final stand, they find themselves stuck in the zone with little-to-no chance of escaping until Zelsys appears. Makhus is the groups de fact leader at the start and an alchemical savant, capable of creating jury rigged alchemy stills and distilling pure essential into potions that he consumes to fight. These power-up tattoos across his body that enhance his strength but require him to purge any excess after a fight, usually through violent retching. They also fuel his Sword Saint (SSSS) Arts which enhance strength, hearing, etc.

Sigmund is our resident schizo and introduces himself to Zelsys by leveling a gun on her and frantically muttering. He becomes more lucid as the story continues but starts out as a Rubedo-burnout – the one who had saved the original unit from complete annihilation. He ingested a near terminal level of Rubedo that has reduced him to a shell of a man, sanity barely managed by Zefaris and Makhus. He turned out to be one of my favorites despite a rocky start.

Zefaris is the cycloptic sniper missing an eye. Luckily her other one has two pupils, referred to as a ‘Homonculus Eye’. I touched upon this above, but Homunculi can be created and harvested to provide their creator whatever organ used as its ‘base’. Zefaris can enhance her accuracy at the start of the story, diversifying into trick shots and more complicated techniques as the story continues. She can also make her vision telescopic, using it to stare at Zelsys’ ass.

>> No.20830037

>>20830034
Fuck man, 3 posts... I promise there's a reason for this in my final thoughts. YOU KNOW WHY, AKASO!

The party continues to expand as the story progresses, with some characters taking on different roles depending on their affinities in the field or as support, which is well executed.

[Final Thoughts]

This may be my longest review yet and its because of the sheer amount of attention to detail that is put into every aspect of this story. It is extremely DENSE and tends to drag as Akaso makes sure you know absolutely everything about anything happening in the immediate vicinity. This pays off in the battle sequences, which I think are well executed if not padded out with filler enemies that bury the lead more than serve the story. There is an ASSLOAD of potential here, but I think it needs a concise re-write at some point. By the last quarter of the boom, I was so tired of hearing about bug viscera and dungeon layouts that my eyes began to gloss over.

This is also the 3rd book I’ve read where serendipity and good luck has been used to explain characters acquiring every plot-related note, element, item, person, weapon, etc, etc, etc. they could ever need to progress in the story. I understand that it’s a cultivation trope at this point, but it really chaps my ass. Aside from those gripes, the book Is fine if not a little over-indulgent. There’s a passionate lesbian sex magic scene in the first 10 chapters, for instance.

It’s literary Devil May Cry with such an eye for detail that you could turn it over to a design team and get a perfect 1:1 game world with it.

6/10

>> No.20830041
File: 37 KB, 324x500, Meng Hao Dark Version.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I Shall Seal The Heavens (Book I: Patriarch Reliance) by Er Gen

[Our MC]

Meng Hao is a thrice failed scholar, pondering his life atop a mountain outside of his village. Ever since his parents vanished under mysterious circumstances 10 years ago, life has not been kind. He had to sell his family home some time back just to survive and thus its left this 16-year-old boy rather skinny. There also appears to be some stigma around the color of his skin, as the author makes a point of calling out when his skin lightens during cultivation. After hearing a scream on the side of the mountain and being kidnapped to a distant cult, he somehow finds the silver lining of kidnapping and decides to pursue the path of cultivation.

[Supporting Cast]

Among the kidnapped kids is one that Meng Hao bonds with called Li Fugui – affectionately nicknamed Fatty. The two of them start off as servants to the sect, with only Meng Hao able to raise his cultivation level high enough to join the Outer Sect. Though not advancing as fast as Meng Hao in terms of Qi Condensation, he seems to have found his own path. The boy’s teeth are growing so long that he must find ways to file them down, yet his cultivation base remained incredibly weak. Meng Hao makes sure to visit him frequently and assist with his cultivation, seeking to embrace the tenants of his sect – the Reliance Sect.

Among the Reliant Sect are two Inner Sect members – Chen Fan and Xu Qing. They also happen to be the ONLY two inner sect disciples, as the Reliance Sect has fallen into a dark age and is near collapse. They frequently abduct children to pad out their numbers, though most don’t live long enough to make a different. Though Chen Fan remains distant from Meng Hao for the bulk of the book, he provides vital insight into cultivation and Dao as he too fancies himself a Daoist scholar. Xu Qing however is an enigmatic and cold beauty who Meng Hao finds himself interested in.

[Plot]

As mentioned above, a LIGHT kidnapping occurs that leads to Meng Hao joining the Sect. At first earning his place in the Outer Sect by practicing his cultivation diligently and working with Fatty for success, he begins to experience something like divine luck as he proceeds through the sect. In the Treasure Hall he is scammed by an elder who gives him a copper mirror. Through a clever play on Pill Distribution Day, he’s able to earn the ire of his fellow sect members by giving an extremely valuable pill he won by chance back to Xu Qing… earning him an Immortal’s Cave in which to advance his cultivation. From this point on, Meng Hao continuously discovers new means of aggressively advancing his cultivation.

>> No.20830044
File: 754 KB, 548x588, Meng Hao Aryan Ideal.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20830041
That same luck leads him to use the Copper Mirror against demonic beasts, giving him a rare opportunity to harvest their powerful cores. It turns out the mirror can force foreign qi into a furred beast and, with no clear direction on where to go, immediately fires out of their asshole in a visceral display of gore. Not only that but the Mirror can absorb the medicinal pills he receives and duplicate them perfectly after consuming enough spirit stones (currency/cultivation item for early stages). This duplication allows him to mass produce recovery pills not only for his consumption but for other sect members, targeting them on the battle grounds when they are near death to exploit them for additional spirit stones and thus, more duplicate materials and supplies.

Now that he has the means of launching himself beyond his peers, he begins attracting the attention of the Elders of the Reliance Sect. Including their Patriarch.

[System]

I Shall Seal the Heavens has multiple stages with levels beneath each. They include the Qi Condensation stage, where you begin to amass qi within your dantian region to establish a powerful core in later stages. After passing all 10 levels (traditionally), the cultivator will rise to the Foundation Establishment Stage and begin the process again with some minor tweaks – they can now live naturally to 150 years and have shed their mortal body, making them effectively immortal to everyone but other cultivators. During this stage your Foundations are pillars of Dao, reinforcing the base of your future Core. Only these two levels are widely explored in this first book but there are 7 stages in total, with an unknown number of levels to each. It is unknown if there are further stages beyond the goal of this planet which is simply Immortal Ascension.

Within the Qi Condensation stage, each level provides a significant change to your qi and the amount of power coursing through your body, along with how efficiently it moved. At Level 1, you can move a simple strand of qi throughout your body to empower it and begin forging your qi channels. By level 2 that strand has become a stream and mortal filth is excreted from the body, along with earning the cultivator their first technique. At level 3 you learn how to flash step, essentially. From here the major level are 5, where the cultivator learns wind walking which provides them a method of improvised flight by using different weapons and divine treasures (think flying swords and fans, hats). With each stage that body of water within the cultivator also advances, some capable of becoming as deep and vast as an ocean.

>> No.20830054

>>20830044
At the 9th stage of Qi Condensation, cultivators will ascend to the Foundation Establishment stage and develop their spiritual senses along with raising their first Pillar of Dao, the beliefs that define a cultivator. Depending on the number of cracks on the pillars raised during these 9 stages, they receive one of the following designations: Perfect (no flaws), Flawless (1 crack per pillar), Fractured (2 cracks per pillar), and Shattered (anything more). That is about the depth of what’s revealed in the first novel. There are also ancient rumors of Qi Condensation stages beyond 9…

[Final Thoughts]

This book has the same problems as Ave Rem where it loses overall cohesiveness after the initial structure of the story. Again this story turns luck and finding macguffins into divine providence, deeming Meng Hao the chosen one. The sheer amount of shit that falls into his lap is excruciating and becomes difficult to ignore when the author begins making things up on the fly to facilitate Meng Hao’s advancement. The specific point I didn’t like is the Sublime Spirit Scripture point at 50%: Despite Meng’s bones stretching and his entire body reforging itself after he vanished in the Patriarch’s crypt, no one notices or questions him? The North Sea is suddenly a demonic will? Qi Condensation stages 10-13 are macguffin’d into existence near the end of the book and is just… bloated, unnecessary and overall unsatisfying as there’s no basis for it.

If the first 50% was an 8, the next 20% was a 7 and the final 30% is a...

5/10

Previous Scores:
>Lord of the Mysteries by Cuttlefish – 9/10
>Cradle by Will Wight - 8/10 (Dropped a full point value, he's not sticking the landing)
>Ave Xia Rem Y by Mat Haz - 8/10
>Forge of Destiny by Yrsillar - 7/10
>A Thousand Li by Tao Wong - 7/10
>Retribution Engine by Akaso - 6/10
>Virtuous Sons by Ya Boy - 6/10
>Bastion by Phil Tucker - 6/10
>Mother of Learning Act I - 5/10
>Reverend Insanity by Gu Zhen Ren - 5/10
>I Shall Seal The Heavens by Er Gen - 5/10
>Beware of Chicken (Non-Edited for Release) by Casualfarmer – 5/10
>Soulhome by Sarah Lin - 5/10
>Soulship by Nathan Thompson - 4/10
>Beware of Chicken (Edited for Release) by Casualfarmer - 3/10
>Reincarnation: Threads by Michael Head - 3/10
>Last Ship in Suzhou by Lungs - Dropped (0/10)

I mistakenly counted Last Ship in Suzhou and Defiance of the Fall when I had meant to drop and replace them all together, so I've actually got an open slot if any of you have recommendations.

>Current and Upcoming Reads
17. Dungeon Crawler Carl - Complete, waiting 'til next thread since these last 2 reviews were long as fuck.
18. Wandering Inn #1
19. Worm
20. ???

>> No.20830056

>>20830054
>5/10
Junior you dare?

>> No.20830064

>>20830056
You could tolerate the impossible amount of smoke being blown up your ass in the last 10 chapters of the book? Cripple your cultivation base and sever your right arm and left leg, senior brother... Only then will I allow you to leave alive.

>> No.20830066

>>20829936
Some of his later published, longer works can be considered novellas, but nothing gets to the legnth that can be counted as a standard novel.
>dreamquest
>mountains of madness
Are two of his longer works.

>> No.20830068

>>20830064
I've read up to book 9

>> No.20830070

>>20830068
That's a lot of smoke.

>> No.20830077
File: 37 KB, 853x625, pitMHbE.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Severian did nothing wrong

>> No.20830083

>>20830070
I might drop it. Meng Hao had been a monogamous chad until now but if he's going to be polygamous I can't read any longer. My biggest problem with most of the genre.

>> No.20830088

>>20830054
RI?

>> No.20830093

>>20830083
Tell me its not Big Sis... she requires my powerful dao pillar.

>>20830088
Already done, middle of the road on my list. 5/10.

>> No.20830096
File: 202 KB, 800x713, 18513.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Thoughts on Bergerac?

>> No.20830102

>>20830031
What are some good smut books with actual smut. Saving supervillains has had no sex scenes yet and the rest of it I couldn't give a fuck about

>> No.20830110

>>20830102
Wish I could help you, man. Retribution Engine was the only one that dived into it and, admittedly, its well written because of how Akaso uses it to explore his Technique Creation system. I didn't touch on that heavily but certain memories will act as triggers for TECHNIQUES within that Attribute Tablet, all of which you can name and then advance as you use it. Zelsys weaponizes her musty muff breath to make other combatants battle horny.

>> No.20830119

>>20830110
Ok. I'll try retribution and if there's no sex by the 50th page I drop it

>> No.20830130
File: 83 KB, 1024x577, Zelsys and Zefaris.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20830119
Chapter 0.10, lecherous senior brother.

>> No.20830175

>>20830130
Link for epub

>> No.20830198

It looks like Sanderson won the game. His fifth and final stormlight book (future ones will have a timeskip and new characters so idc) is on track to come out before 2025.
GRRM is still dicking around with his relentless teasing on how WoW will be better than the show.
Rothfuss has given up.
Lynch has given up.
All hail the Mormon work ethic.

>> No.20830206
File: 127 KB, 1280x960, wight kneeling to sanderson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20830198

>> No.20830221

>>20830175
Have to convert all Royal Road stories. Look up WebToEpub in any browser app store.

>> No.20830240
File: 111 KB, 600x600, c45.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20830198
reading Stormlight makes me appreciate GRRM a lot more than I expected.
Brando is so fucking obsessed with build-up and bloated borderline slice-of-life scenes.
GRRM dialogues are always fun to read, and his downtime is almost always enjoyable, while Brando's downtime is a pure slog until the climax.

>> No.20830247

>>20830240
Based Dalinar and Taravangian are enough to carry the story on their own.

>> No.20830252

>>20830247
I hope my crush stays hot until she is old and I hope I get to Dalinar'd her.

>> No.20830266

>>20830037
Huh, I've always thought Retribution Engine is just a smut due to the cover art. Now I'm putting it on my reading list. Thanks, review bro. No need to wait for the next thread to post the DCC review, it's not as if we lack space here.

Admittedly I kinda forgot what were your specifications for recommendations, but I'll work from assumption it was just about webnovels. For the last slot I'd recommend:
- Paranoid Mage (recent big success)
- A Practical Guide To Evil (as popular as DCC, Worm or TWI)
- A Journey of Dark and Red (climatic vampire story)
- He Who Fights with Monsters (arguably the most successful webnovel to exist, but the are varied opinions about it)

>> No.20830277

>>20830198
>It looks like Sanderson won the game. His fifth and final stormlight book (future ones will have a timeskip and new characters so idc) is on track to come out before 2025.
>GRRM is still dicking around with his relentless teasing on how WoW will be better than the show.
GRRM has done work on multiple books since he finished the last published GoT book. I remember some guy on reddit did a chart (or calculation?) and it turned out that compared to other authors GRRM was much more prolific with his writing this last decade, it's just that he didn't write WoW.

By the way, Rothfuss never had a plan, and Lynch only wrote one good book, the rest kinda sucked. Who even waits for the fourth?

>> No.20830278

>>20829954
Idk what the wit has to do with queerness. But that summary doesn't do at least the first trilogy justice.
It's a hero's journey, heavy themes of loyalty, spywork, love and duty. Though there is a lot of 'action' spread throughout, I do think it's secondary to the politicing and character development.
The magic is interesting as is the lore of the world, which unravels slowly over the whole series.

>> No.20830286

>>20829954
>>20830278
I think it means queerness in the sense of the magic being taboo, not that is has anything to do with homo's.

>> No.20830287

>>20830054
Thought you had disappeared for a second there

>> No.20830294

>>20830286
*Everything* is an allegory for lgbt themes

>> No.20830303

>>20829325
Bump...

I wonder if anyone here can help me find a book I (probably inaccurately) remember from my childhood.

I think it was called "Mission to Mars" or something similar, one of a series of books for young adults I read in the late 1960s - early 70s with similar alliterative titles and central characters. The basic plot is that a returning probe from Mars has brought back a red weed/growth that threatens to consume all life on Earth, and a ship is sent to sample the Martian atmosphere.

This is not the Sir Patrick Moore book, but has a very "English" feel to it.

From these clues, does anyone know the name of the author and any other books from this series? Any information would be much appreciated.

>> No.20830333 [DELETED] 
File: 102 KB, 725x720, maxresdefault (2).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20830198
Brandi won the game of being the most miserable man in the history of misery, congratulation.

>> No.20830343
File: 143 KB, 903x1019, 1508913214606.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I'm not sure how I feel about the whole Shallan split personality thing.
I don't like where this is going.

>> No.20830367

>>20830343
it's going to cringe town

>> No.20830376

>>20830343
She's not a schizo anymore though. I like her, she's a cute redhead

>> No.20830396

>>20830294
No, not in this case

>> No.20830406

>>20830343
It’s complete bullshit. I don’t even read her chapters anymore. Only the last page or so to know what’s going on. Thankfully Sanderson writes a ton of useless nonsense in form of pointless dialogue or internal monologues so skimming through chapters is easy. He might be even worse than Erikson in that regard.

>> No.20830417

Anyone who skims, let alone skips, chapters shouldn't be reading whatever it is. It's all or nothing. That's the only way.

>> No.20830443

>>20830417
This is not true, especially not in a fantasy series like Stormlight where you have chapters of alternating quality and enjoyment depending on the character. Aside from that it is also mistaken to believe that every single word an author writes is of value. Skimming is a good way to still enjoy a book while saving some time.

>> No.20830456

>>20830443
Just wrong. Stormlight especially has lots of shit sprinkled in all over that pertains to what's going on in the overall story.
Skipping shit is cringe, I won't claim Stormlight is the best thing iv ever read, but I'd you are skipping just drop it. What is even the point of reading it at that point ? Go read a summary in Wikipedia or something.

>> No.20830457

>>20830443
You will never rule supreme in the way of Bakkerchadery, when a Bakkerchad reads, he reads the whole thing, he takes every inch inside him and he bathes in the glory of Bakker's prose, unlike the way of sandi's readers, who skips chapters because they are too miserable to read.

>> No.20830473

>>20830456
No, I’ll keep reading because I think the series is great and the only chapters I skim (more like skip) are Shallan‘s.

>> No.20830476 [DELETED] 
File: 1.59 MB, 800x450, giphy1.gif [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Misery of the Sanderson reader.

>> No.20830480

>>20830457
While reading the Second Apocalypse I also skimmed quite a bit. His prose is good but not everything is worth reading. Ah, but it feels so good to skim! I can’t stop skimmiiiiiing

>> No.20830483

>Bakkerchad
>takes every inch inside him
no lies there

>> No.20830485

shallan chapters are just an extension of sanderfag's shitty writing
if you think the other chapters are any different from hers you're not paying attention

>> No.20830496

>>20830485
I listened to the Graphic Audio version and I really liked her chapter because the VA makes her sound really cute.
I don't think I could read through her chapters though.

>> No.20830504

Should Red Knight be set in a more fully fantasy world or one more based on Earth?

>> No.20830537
File: 79 KB, 678x1024, 9781473641167-678x1024.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

What am I in for?

>> No.20830539

>>20830504
What do you even mean by that. Fantasy is for fantasy worlds. When a guy says 'more based on Earth' he most often means 'My belief of how medieval times looked basing it on knowledge I got from movies and other fantasy books.' 99% of readers don't shit about how real medieval stuff worked or looked like.

>> No.20830558

Based Abercrombie's new series is going to be fucking epic.

>> No.20830579

I didn't have problems with shallans chapters, they were always quite revealing. I just don't like shallan as a character at all.

>> No.20830587

>>20830504
I don't understand your question at all. What do you mean should it be set? It's already set in a fantasy world.

>> No.20830623

>>20830587
>I don't understand your question at all.
you obviously didn't

>> No.20830640

>>20830623
Well the red knight is based in a fantasy world
Actual spoilers but it becomes clear later that the humans are not originally from that works, and brought Christianity and Islam with them from earth thousands of years ago

>> No.20830651

>>20830054
>Lord of the Mysteries by Cuttlefish – 9/10
>Cradle by Will Wight - 8/10 (Dropped a full point value, he's not sticking the landing)
and finally, all is as should be.

>> No.20830698

>>20830640
Oh so it's isekai like Codex Alera? Interdasting.
>>20830539
It's a fantasy world with magic, monsters, and straight up Christianity. It seemed weird.

>> No.20830722

>>20830698
No, it's not Isekai. I don't know what codex alara is either. But it is very good.

>> No.20830727

>>20830198
>His fifth and final stormlight book (future ones will have a timeskip and new characters so idc)
There will be a ~10 year timeskip between books 5 and 6, and the latter half protags will be (in no particular order) Jasnah, Lift, Renarin, Shalash, and Taln.
No clue when he'll begin writing book 6 of course.
>>20830651
Cradle being an 8/10 is too high.

>> No.20830748
File: 547 KB, 1661x2560, 91+We4lMxEL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I just finished this today.
What did I think of it?

>> No.20830771

Ways of Sandi are false
His popularity is a farce
Only Bakker reigns supreme
Filling Sandi's gut with cream
The ways of Bakker is real
Dick makes women squeal
The dick of Sandi is small
In the future his dick will fall
The dick of Bakker penetrates with Might
Try to enjoy it no point in putting up a fight

>> No.20830903
File: 42 KB, 600x728, gay not welcome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>https://youtu.be/xau7CGghLj8
>praising Godskin Duo unironically
No wonder his books are shite.

>> No.20830927

>>20830903
Elden Ring was ghost written by Bakker, GRRM didn't write shit, you are crazy if you think GRRM wrote this sublime game.

>> No.20830949
File: 233 KB, 613x1021, 71tD5pWEeTL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20829325
Someone recommended this recently and its peaty good.
I have to say the end did not fit the mood of the book, a tragedy would have been much better

>> No.20830950 [DELETED] 

>>20830903
The game is supreme but the godskin duo is non-supreme, but sandi is non-supreme so him defending them is supreme, because it shows the non-supremacy of the godskin duo.

>> No.20830952

>>20830927
Elden Ring was garbage. I hate open worlds and I have since Need For Speed Underground 2.

>> No.20830966

>>20830927
>no umlauts
>women being anything other than whores
>no cornflakes
>bakker
nah

>> No.20830967
File: 1.19 MB, 1732x2423, steven-erikson.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20830198
eh em...

>> No.20830968 [DELETED] 

>>20830952
Elden Ring was sublime
Best game released in this time
Elden Ring was supreme
Despite the rage quits and screams

>> No.20830973

I need a Shallan gf.
I want her to choke me while singing.

>> No.20830977
File: 1.07 MB, 913x721, 0ea433488d5d9d9e0b036754da3292b6.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20830966
That was was YOUR playthrough, its a role playing game, if you allowed women to be non-whores that rule supreme over men, then that says a lot about you, my playthrough was sublime, I was Cnaiur and I made him dominate with might, winning every fight.

>> No.20831003

>>20830967
True, he already won.
The rest are fighting for second place.

>> No.20831008

Recent Reads:

Dan Abnett: Bequin: Pariah 9/10
Dan Abnett: Bequin Penitent 10/10
Beth Revis: Rebel Rising 7/10
Ken Liu: The Grace of Kings 9/10

>> No.20831011
File: 10 KB, 327x173, 1450170603438.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

I fucking love Graphic Audio.
I hope they do more fantasy series.
They doing The Wheel of Time would be absolutely kino.

>> No.20831110
File: 61 KB, 300x400, 300.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>> No.20831125
File: 1.95 MB, 1668x2222, Patrick-rothfuss-2014-kyle-cassidy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Don't tell me. How to write.

>> No.20831145

>>20831125
>Don't tell me [...] to write.

>> No.20831154
File: 98 KB, 255x391, Too_Like_the_Lightning_-_bookcover.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Opinions on Terra Ignota? I haven't read anything recent in a long time. Scott Alexander seems to like it.

>> No.20831157

>>20830651
I can see why somebody would be apprehensive about the final Cradle book after book 11, but I'd reserve judgment on it sticking the landing or not. Wight's two endings we've seen are admittedly a little all over the place but I don't think Cradle's suffered too much because it's kept its strong characterisation. Traveler's Gate just kinda stops, and Elder Empire has a good finale and a mediocre epilogue.

>> No.20831169

>>20830949
Tried reading this. The premise is too retarded. Why should I care if its all happening in a video game

>> No.20831192
File: 21 KB, 347x347, 60632970.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

If Kaladin is Shallan, his Stormlight would run out while spying and gets captured by the Ghostbloods and gets tortured until he almost gives up on his life.
Whenever Shallan gets put in dangerous situations, everything always goes her way.

>> No.20831198

>>20829744
Witcher but unlike a certain overly verbose contrarian I don't think they're alike at all. Tbh the only thing I really liked about the one (1) Elric story I read was the part with the demon realm.

>> No.20831213

So who is gonna die in the 5th stormlight book?
I thought it was strange that Sanderson said who was gonna be main PoVs in the 6 and on books.

Kaladin probably will retire
Shallan and adolin will die together

>> No.20831217

>>20831213
Adolin will die
Shallan and kaladin will become worldhoppers, probably meet up with kelsier

>> No.20831258

>>20830037

Honestly what grabbed my attention most about this review was the interpretation of my systems and lore, it's interesting to see the difference in viewpoints.

>It’s literary Devil May Cry with such an eye for detail that you could turn it over to a design team and get a perfect 1:1 game world with it.
I'll be glad to take that as a compliment, seeing as that was pretty much my intention from the get-go.

>>20830110
>Zelsys weaponizes her musty muff breath to make other combatants battle horny.
Hey, that's false advertising. She only used Lover's Breath like once in an actual fight, and it was on Zefaris. I

>> No.20831294

For those who read Bakker and are interested in the philosophy behind the sorcery in the books, here is the concept of Speech-Act Theory by the British philosopher J L Austin (1911-1960)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illocutionary_act

Consider the phrase "Is There Any Salt?"

locutionary act, the literal sentence:
- a question interrogating the presence of salt

illocutionary act, what was done / intended
- a request, eg please give me some salt in a restaurant etc

perlocutionary act, what actually occurred as a result
- somebody passes you the salt shaker across the table
>Kellhus is turned into salt by Chorae

Incidentally the Speech-Act linguistic theory is incorporated into Daoism and Buddhism, which often sees consciousness as a river flowing through the unity of physical being, words, mind. If fits the feels of some of Bakker's aphorisms and invented / repurposed philosophical quotations.

It also has some interesting implications for fantasy worldbuilding.

In philsophy this is the direction of fit for propositional desire, ie. do you go word-to-world, or world-to-word etc.

I think all of this Speech-Act linguistic philosophy is what is being alluded to by Bakker when he describes the dual utterances or triple utterances of gnostic and metagnostic sorcery etc.

>> No.20831300

Bakkerfags are physically unable of not spoiling the books every other post, they just gotta do it

>> No.20831308

>>20831300
>they
One they or many theys?

>> No.20831342

>>20831258
So what I'm gathering is you're very horny for you own protagonist. I mean, valid enough I suppose but still.

>> No.20831344

Imagine getting pegged by Shallan and suddenly she puts on Dalinar illusion and turned the gentle pegging session into forced-bi session.
Haha.......

>> No.20831366

>>20831169
its multiverse so yea if you dont like that there is not point on reading more, but its not a video game.
It has interesting look into corpocracy.

>> No.20831368

>>20831344
sanderfags are filth

>> No.20831373
File: 2.13 MB, 3750x5000, qi-sheng-luo-leren6.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20830041
>>20830044
>>20830054
I just want to say that although I could not really understand whatever this was about lol, I am awestruck by your dedication in summarising and analysing and writing it all, and appreciate your summary of the story. Are you familiar with the works of Zhuangzi at all?

Or if you want to give it the genuine xianxia name: True Scripture Of Southern Florescence (Nanhua Zhenjing, only religious Daoists call it this lol).

Apparently if you can comprehend it as a Perfected Man, you will be able to split mountains and ride upon cloud-reins, attract this woman Jiutian Xuannu
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jiutian_Xuann%C3%BC
The Dark Mistress of Nine Heavens, and also "join essences" with this woman
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sun%C3%BC
The Immaculate Maiden, in the so-called Battle Of Stealing And Strengthening (it is very naughty)

>> No.20831376

>>20831192
Who the hell says Kal is Shallan? Is this some new theory?

>> No.20831384
File: 320 KB, 500x425, 1642498579607.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20831344

>> No.20831387

>>20831376
>reading comprehension this poor

>> No.20831393

>>20830949
>>20830949
I solved it; did that protagonist man on the book cover die of agony inflicted by the double negation written in the tagline

>> No.20831396

>>20831344
I would have her grow a magic cock so I could blow it

>> No.20831397
File: 163 KB, 721x999, v1 censored.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20831342
I wouldn't say very horny, but somewhat, yeah. Certainly not nearly as horny as my readers. My own creations don't really hit me the same, I can't really see myself jacking off to my own smut scenes or pinup commissions like picrel. The reason I started writing Retribution Engine to begin with was the desire to make good use of the MC's design, it was an incessant itch in my skull from the moment her design first popped into my head

>> No.20831402

>>20831344
>>20831396
Kys disgusting coomers.

>> No.20831403
File: 287 KB, 840x1264, haMk9kpTURBXy9kZmE2OTA4OWVmZThhYzU1NTk2YzI5NjRmZjVhOGJlZC5qcGeRkwLNA0jNBPCCoTABoTEB.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20831154
> reading books by woman
> (((harvard))) degree

>> No.20831406

>>20831393
nah he survived even tho he got stabbed thru the guts and spine

>> No.20831416

>>20830949
>>20831393
>A man shouldn't die with no understanding of why he's been murdered
Why not replace this with just the more dramatic and uncontorted tagline
>Understand the murder... Before a man dies.

(still a pleonasm though. These taglines are all horrible)

>> No.20831450

>>20831154
>Everyone is publicly gender neutral, using they/them pronouns. Families are no longer nuclear, but are organized into co-housing collectives called bash'houses (from the Japanese i-basho, meaning 'home' but stronger). Religion is legally restricted to private counseling relationships or sanctuary reservations. Surveillance is universal;

There is a character called Voltaire Seldon. This has got to be the most low effort name ever imagined?

>The worldbuilding process took five years

Let me tell you about a new gender neutral sci-fi novel featuring a character named Biden Skywalker; the worldbuilding process took five years.

>> No.20831464

Can someone recommend me a book where the main character tried being a just and kind man but then turned into a bloodthirsty cold blooded machine after constant failure? I just reached the part where Kaladin did the thing in Kholinar (Oathbringer) and I almost launched the book against the wall. I want to read about a character who doesn’t try to fulfill everyone’s wishes anymore but instead just goes crazy and does whatever he wants. Something like Dalinar before the Rift event.

>> No.20831484

>>20831464
my diary desu

>> No.20831500

>>20831008
Very nice.

>> No.20831506

>>20831464
So, you want a book about you personally feel. That sounds like a book where the protagonist turns into the antagonist.

>> No.20831509

>>20831464
Redo of Healer unironically

>> No.20831526

>>20831464
>Can someone recommend me a book where the main character tried being a just and kind man but then turned into a bloodthirsty cold blooded machine after constant failure? I just reached the part where Kaladin did the thing in Kholinar (Oathbringer) and I almost launched the book against the wall. I want to read about a character who doesn’t try to fulfill everyone’s wishes anymore but instead just goes crazy and does whatever he wants. Something like Dalinar before the Rift event.
That Night Angel trillogy by Brent Weeks had a character like that (the protagonist's mentor). I think I saw a spin-off book about the time he tried just being normal and failed.

>> No.20831566

>>20831008
Have you read Eisenhorn and Ravenor before? I like all the Abnett novels, as well as the Gaunt's Ghosts series, but Eisenhorn is the strongest one for me, I genuinely think it is a sci-fi masterwork, and if read standalone Eisenhorn (the three parts Xenos Malleus Hereticus) form an amazing tragic tale. I sometimes wish Dan Abnett just stopped there but of course revenue considerations rule otherwise.

Incidentally I can also recommend Blood Games by Dan Abnett, it is an Imperial Custodes short story, it has a lot of impact and intrigue.

I wonder if Dan Abnett had been reading Great Expectations before writing Bequin. Something about the tone of the novel's opening reminds me a lot of Pip and Magwitch in Charles Dickens. Incidentally I wonder if Eisenhorn's opening follows Star Wars out of sequence (ice planet Hoth... a battle hiding in an asteroid belt...)

>> No.20831590

>>20831566
Of the Gaunt's Ghosts novels, the best one for me is Blood Pact. It is sort of the usual Gaunt story in reverse (instead of them infiltrating a warzone... they get infiltrated) and there is a touching poignant scene where the Commissar meets a character I imagine is very much like Dan Abnett explaining himself and what he sees his own role to be amidst all his imaginary grimdark war novels. I read Dan Abnett is influenced by Dostoevsky and the Bakhtin theory of polyphony. Of all the 40k writers Abnett occasionally embeds some interesting depth in his work in between all the lasguns and bolter rounds and revving chainswords, eg the middle English / pseudo Anglo Saxon? language references in the Gaunt's Ghosts novels. I learnt what hight meant from those.

>> No.20831609

>>20831403
>>20831450
alright alright, forget I asked

>> No.20831630
File: 273 KB, 960x727, Hyperion.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>The real Shrike was the friends we made along the way.
I want my answers.
Give answers. I see the Shrike on the cover of the other books. There better be answers.

>> No.20831632

>>20831630
The Shrike is a glorified drone used at various points by different factions in the other dimension

>> No.20831634

>>20831632
modeled after the Colonel*

>> No.20831642
File: 168 KB, 419x430, 1652051131827.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>TWI V7 Mating Rituals Pt.2
surprisingly great chapter. i expected less since the last one was more of a gag/throwaway chapter. bummer about the sad ending though. i'm curious about the direction here though. i did notice that V7 had more sexual innuendo in general. the comment section of that chapter seemed to be against it. personally i wouldn't mind more.

also some anon was talking about some issue with bird in the interlude chapters. what was the issue? did you think his actions were too abrupt or radical for his character? i felt like it was fine, considering what we've seen from him.

also that scene about glory in the inn was fucking great.

>> No.20831644

>>20831008
>>20831566
>>20831590
In the Tad Williams and King Arthur discussion from yesterday's thread I mentioned the Mabinogion. I admit, I have not read it, but I know a few of the stories (there is an incel one lol about a man who gets a wife of flowers made for him by two wizards; the flower maiden still spurns him though unfortunately. She gets turned into an owl)

I actually learnt about the Mabinogion from Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn, one of the minor characters (she has the cool pentagrammatic barbarian runeblade sword later wielded by the Inquisitor) is named Arianrhod, a woman from the Mabinogion
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arianrhod
Arianrhod perhaps means silver wheel, think argento rota etc. which Abnett works into the character...

Arianrhod and I tailed him. She’d dulled her sabre’s blade with brick dust but still it hooked the light as she turned it in her hands. Arianrhod Esw Sweydyr was well over two metres tall, quite the tallest human woman I have ever met, though such stature is common amongst the people of far away Carthae. Her long-boned frame was clad in a leather bodysuit embossed with bronze studs, over which she wore a long, tasselled cloak of patchwork hide. Her silver hair was plaited with beads. The sabre was called Barbarisater and had been carried by women of the Esw Sweydyr tribe for nineteen generations. From the braided grip to the tip of the curved, engraved blade, it measured almost a metre and a half. Long, lean, slender, like the woman who wielded it. Already I could sense the vibration of the psychic energies she was feeding into it. Woman and blade had become one living thing.Arianrhod had served with my staff for five years, and I was still learning the intricacies of her martial prowess. Ordinarily I’d be noting every detail of her combat trance methods, but I was too fatigued, too drawn out with hunger and thirst.
(...)
(...)
'Through there, do you think, sir?’ Qus whispered, pointing towards the columns of a roofless cloister.I was about to agree when Arianrhod hissed ‘Barbarisater thirsts...’

>> No.20831652
File: 51 KB, 429x741, PatRothfussGnome.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>From best selling author into despised lolcow

>> No.20831658

>>20831632
Boooooooooo.
Instead of interesting anomaly stuff we get,
>The AI is going to alpha strike humanity, or humanity is going to alpha strike the AI. Also it was politics all along.
Good thing they lead with Father Hoyt's story.
Hoyt > Sol > Brawne > Martin > Consul > Air Fucker
2 and a half anomalies, 3 and a half love stories

>> No.20831660 [DELETED] 

>>20831652
I never understood the success of KKC
Kvothe was a redditor cuck from the word go

>> No.20831674

>reading a web novel
>suddenly its the goddamn plot of inception

Dropped

>> No.20831676

>>20831450
>>20831644
>Esw Sweydyr
from Proto-Indo-European *swey- (“to twist, swing”).

From Old East Norse diūR,
animal, beast (as opposed to human beings, or of human beings acting brutally

ie her barbarian clan is named Swaying/Twisted Beast

Dan Abnett knows what he is doing with etymology; this is better than coming up with names like Voltaire Seldon

>> No.20831692

>>20830093
I think you should be beginning to see why it's so praised.
I think a lot of it is just because all the other xiaxias are shit.
That reminds me, if you're still trying out anything you should look at Warlock of the magus world, it's pretty decent, better than ISSTH at least, and the only objectively BAD arc happens like a million words in and can be safely skipped now that it's complete.

Basically, it's an isekai but the MC kept his scifi brain implant personal assistant, which basically just lets him do all the things stereotypical "genius" characters do without having to explain why he's not really that smart. On the one hand, it's a bit of a ridiculous cheat, but on the other hand that's it, he doesn't get anything else for free and is otherwise a completely "natural" cultivator who just has a knack for research and experimentation.

>> No.20831728
File: 45 KB, 394x600, red-knight-book-1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

This series was fantastic.
5 books, not too long.
First book is amazing and unlike most series that lose steam over the books, the final book was by far the best.
Its got medieval military campaigns with wizardry, like Malazan but better. At least the engagements are, Cameron is really good at battles.
Lots of chivalry stuff, if your into that kind of thing.
Lots of religious (christian) stuff in it. I am not a christcuck so it's possible a lot of that went over my head but I was able to follow it.
It's got dragons, spygames, politics, brutal battles, various monsters, elves, giant sea monsters, a slutty witch mommy, romance, powerful magic, an evil ent wizard, pompus french knights, giant bears, a cute cockroach archer, nun waifu, zombie mastodons, wholesome Christmas parties, Scottish hill barbarians, incest, quite a large cast of pov characters, flaming swords, magic spears

It's so good, I have read virtually all the fantasy shit recommend here that's of it's type. Second apocalypse, all of the Malazan books, tbc, dread empire.

I honestly think it might be my favorite, only 5 books but it's complete.

>> No.20831759

>>20831728
Oh and lots of horse remounting.

Turns out this series was built off a tabletop campaign and miles had help from the rest of the people he played with the books. Also he's a historian. Interesting the parallels there between him and Erikson/esselmont with them being archeologists.

>> No.20831790

>>20829571
New tactic by chinkshills to gain credibility

>> No.20831804

>>20830198
I shit everyday you don't see me begging for praise. Try harder sandiboi

>> No.20831825

>>20829744
Witcher is a shitty ripoff of Elric and Elric is a shitty LE SUBVERSION ripoff of Conan.

>> No.20831830

reviewfag, how far you along lotm?

>> No.20831831

>>20831728
>Lots of religious (christian) stuff in it. I am not a christcuck so it's possible a lot of that went over my head but I was able to follow it.
I'm Christian so this might be nice
does it have a happy ending, I only read books with happy (enough) endings

>> No.20831845

>>20831831
I don't know how to answer that without spoilers

It has a very satisfying ending, a good conclusion to 5 books.

>> No.20831859

>>20831790
>>20831825
>Witcher is a shitty ripoff of Elric and Elric is a shitty LE SUBVERSION ripoff of Conan.
The Witcher was also a tabletop campaign, or at least heavily inspired by the ones Sapkowski had done with his friends.

>> No.20831873

>>20831859
>The Witcher was also a tabletop campaign
I swear literally every fantasy book, every single one, has this origin story.

>> No.20831882

>>20831728
why have i never heard of this before but now it's being shilled in every thread lately?

>> No.20831906

>>20831008
>Ken Liu: The Grace of Kings 9/10
I've heard this described as being "silk punk", would you mind describing it a bit?

>> No.20831963

>>20831830
As far as when it was posted about by that guy.

>> No.20831974
File: 879 KB, 2150x2381, TWI Bird the Hunter by Bobo Plushie.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20831642
The Mating Rituals 2 chapter spawned pretty unhinged behaviour among some readers, people went bonkers over some sexual stuff in several millions long novel. Some even claimed the story was family friendly before (idk if that's some strange delusion or american attitude, genocide and rape mountain okay, some consensual sex bad, lmao).

Interlude - Lifting Ants chapter had some bad implications about Bird - he wasn't a child and only pretended to be one, not that he was acting, but Bird is a rational being that knows what he's doing. Which means he was well aware he shouldn't have gone to Pallass. He almost started a continental war over a petty, selfish reasons, and after that he wasn't even properly punished for it, Numb even congratulated him. Klbkch was the only one that seemed to understand the severity of the events and other characters villained him for it.

In short, Bird turned out to be a dangerous sociopath who's constantly enabled by Erin, instead of locked up. No, he even freely uses a weapon. Pure insanity. I know it's just a story, but the way Bird was treated made me frustrated, an otherwise serious story turned into a cartoon. There's some further stuff that makes Bird looks even bad, but even this is crazy. Sorry for the rant, but you are far enough in the story for me to start ranting.

The Glory scene was not just great, but showed that Pirateaba had started introducing some actual schizo beliefs about the world. Great actions and events, both good and bad, being glorious. I love that stuff, every great fantasy writer starts doing some schizo stuff like this at some point and I took it as a sign of Pirateaba coming into the next stage of his growth as a writer.

>> No.20831977

>>20831906
https://kenliu.name/books/what-is-silkpunk/

>> No.20832024
File: 2.65 MB, 1600x900, wanderin inn actelios salash.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20831642
Btw, how did you like A'cteliosh Salash? Kino chapter. The rest of that K chapter trillogy was kino as well.

>> No.20832058

>>20831873
Is it at all surprising? A hobby is how a great many writers got into it, often roleplaying. I know of writers who started writing on play by post roleplaying forums.

>> No.20832071

What do you niggas think of Last Sword of Power, by Gemmell? I thought the way it used Arthurian legend was weird at best. Good story, but that stuff pulled me out of it.
>>20831397
PUBIC STUBBLE HNNNNNNNGGGGGGG

>> No.20832090
File: 55 KB, 1024x1008, 1658657366342677.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20829744
>>20831825
>>20831859
Yes, but behold the powerful macroeconomic analysis of Michael Moorcock in Hawkmoon lol.

Also, GAW and WH40k literally stole the Eight Pointed star of Chaos Undivided from Moorcock as well as Khorne Blood For the Blood God (Elric, Arioch). Moorcock may have gotten the Eightfold star from Babylonian Ishtar myths though.

The "terrifying ancient gods of Granbretan who were said to have ruled the land before the Tragic Millennium" are based on The Beatles: Jhone, Jhorg, Phowl and Rhunga.

Yet other gods from the "tragic millennium" are based on 20th Century British Prime Ministers (Chirshil, the Howling God (Winston Churchill) and Aral Vilsn, the Roaring God (Harold Wilson), Supreme God) or writers: Bjrin Adass, the Singing God (Brian Aldiss); Jeajee Blad, the Groaning God (J. G. Ballard); Jh'Im Slas, the Weeping God (James Sallis).

"Aral Vilsn, the Roaring God" is the "father of Skvese ("credit squeeze") and Blansacredid ("balance of credit") the gods of Doom and Chaos", named after economic terms of the period when the books were written.

>> No.20832114

>>20831873
>>20832058
How about you do some basic rudimentary research before outing yourselves as retards. Witcher was literally written on a whim for a contest, and its basis is just a retelling of a Polish fairy tale.

>> No.20832128

Do you guys consider Ender Wiggin a Gary Stu?

>> No.20832131

>>20832071
Before reading Bakker, Gemmell was pretty good, he has a very laconic style probably from journalism and he can do violence and humour very well.

His stories seem influenced by Greek myth and Christianity, and he writes a bit like Hemingway with a sort of taut economy and punch. But the main issue is that all his stories are the same. He essentially wrote Druss 20 times (except the Ironhand's Daughter one, but that... is still Druss lol) His stories are still very evocative and enjoyable, I actually used some of them as ttrpg inspiration, because Gemmell has this ability to just conjure encounters and characters with an effortless yet sparse and lean intensity. Arguably Gemmell's greatest legacy was the awards which I believe also helped the Witcher author into earning fame (I played some of Witcher 2, completed 3, have not read the books at all)

>> No.20832191
File: 337 KB, 585x633, 1649914645593.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Is Book of the Long Sun as good as New Sun? I heard someone say it was an unrelated story only technically set in the same universe as a cash grab, and I have mixed feelings about the other Wolfe stories I've read (5HC, Dr Island)

>> No.20832192

>>20832114
>Witcher was literally written on a whim for a contest, and its basis is just a retelling of a Polish fairy tale.
How does that contradict what I said? I read an entire article long ago that talked about the characters and events being amalgamation of the campaigns Sapkowski was a part of, him using already established stuff to ease the work neccessary for a competition makes 100% sense.

>> No.20832214

>>20831450
That sounds like absolute anus.
God, I'm glad normal people don't buy into this shit.

>> No.20832229

>>20832131
David Gemmell stories
- oh no there is a siege with impossible odds
- oh look we only have a band of 12 superheroes and 100 peasants. The enemy THE DARK EVIL has 1000000000
- there is this woman who is idealised
- she dies
- she is brought back to life because of Christianity
- nope she is dead
- no I tricked you she is alive
- she was violated though. Now you must get revenge
- the hero is really intense, he is sort of plagued by inner demons
- a literal inner demon. Is he demon or hero??? Look at his creepy eyes! He goes berserk! Gah!
- characters defined by their one combat gimmick. A masked man. A friendly black warrior. A samurai person. A sorceror monk person. This is literally it, I forgot the names. This is literally the amount of description provided.
- the dnd campaign thing of, I just met you Hero, but I trust you completely and will fight to the death defending you because Christianity
- they fight defending the Hero and predictably die.
- You walk into the enemy camp and THE EVIL ONE lets you live, he treats you honourably, because warriors and Christianity.
- a random flower. Because, Christianity

Do any Gemmell stories feature:
evil women
ugly women? (There is that one matriarch type warrior woman in Druss I think)

(I still enjoy David Gemmell, I read a lot of them but do not really remember that much)

>> No.20832247

>>20832229
Also I think David Gemmell is also fairly good at coming up with names. Gemmell's Gulgothir is a cooler name than Golgotterath in my opinion

>> No.20832298

>>20832247
Here is a weird challenge. How would you go about constructing a list of every fantasy novel that features a variant of the name Golgotha. You cannot search for this (the text string variations etc). Tvtropes not really helpful. Could you write some algorithm that permutated plausible vowel consonant variants of Golgotha and search that way (still very very difficult).

The idea being, the word in question does not have to be Golgotha, it could be any pseudohistorical place or fantasy term, like notByzantium, notExcalibur, notEarth, etc. I wonder if this sort of problem has a technical definition.

>> No.20832310
File: 30 KB, 621x697, dc0fc572d0accb1a644404b607766ef8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20832229
>- she is brought back to life because of Christianity
>- the dnd campaign thing of, I just met you Hero, but I trust you completely and will fight to the death defending you because Christianity
>- You walk into the enemy camp and THE EVIL ONE lets you live, he treats you honourably, because warriors and Christianity.
>- a random flower. Because, Christianity
wow based I love David Gemmell now

>> No.20832338

>>20832310
His stories are all good. They are very readable, you can finish them in one sitting, the pace is always action driven. But if you read more than one, Gemmell becomes very predictable. I recommend Ironhand's Daughter (this is a slightly unique one) and Dark Moon (this has all the cliches and stereotypes, but the world is standalone) His most famous one was of course Legend, the very first Druss novel, I read it after some of the others so it did not have as much of an impact. It is still very readable though.

>> No.20832360

>>20832191
It's different (3rd-person, smaller scope until the end, surprising amount of comic relief) but I enjoyed it. Probably depends on what you liked about BotNS, the metanarrative puzzles are pretty much gone but I thought it was fun just to have more stories of people going about their business around in a weird world.

>> No.20832370

>>20832310
David Gemmell also illustrates how suffering aids the creative process
>gets told he will die due to cancer
>despair makes Gemmell write cathartic warrior fantasy anguish
>no it was a joke you do not actually have cancer
>Gemmell loses all inspiration and recycles the original plot twenty times afterwards

>> No.20832373
File: 14 KB, 1448x132, winds.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Ice and fire bros... we're coming home (soon)

>> No.20832385

>No new Ip in a while
>Just a few fags no-life astroturfing the thread hard instead of letting it rest for a bit.
Glad I’m getting my life together.

>> No.20832386

>>20832385
>>Just a few fags no-life astroturfing the thread hard instead of letting it rest for a bit.
So, someone else noticed.

>> No.20832390

>>20831873
Well there was that controversy about Raymond E Feist campaign Midkemia and Riftwar novels plagiarising Tekumel rpg world with no acknowledgement

>> No.20832400

>>20832385
I would sure love to discuss the series I'm reading about a big old sphere traversing through the depths of space but everybody only wants to talk about the same ~8 authors!

>> No.20832461

>>20832400
Then talk about it. Nobody's stopping you.

>> No.20832465

>>20832400
I like to talk about different authors
I started reading Fionavar Tapestry by Guy Gavriel Kay and I'm really liking it, unironically crying at the beauty of it

>> No.20832466

>>20832400
I was gonna read it but I forgot the title and someone warned me it was full of cuckoldry anyway.

>> No.20832487

>>20832461
It's just going to get ignored, why bother.

>> No.20832489

>>20831974
>>20832024
>bird
i think his actions made a lot of sense, considering who he is.
he wanted to be a child because he wanted that lack of responsibility, that freedom. you could argue that this is sociopathic behavior, but personally i don't think bird knows the difference between actually being a child and pretending to be a child. because in the same vein you could ask him: does he actually care about birds or has he simply decided to care about "birds" because it is what made him an individual, his name? does he care about being free because he actually does or is it only because of the symbolism surrounding freedom and birds?
because you could argue that he is "pretending" to be all of those. but if so, then you have to ask yourself: what is he REALLY like, then?

imo this scratches the core of what it means to be an indiviual antinium. yes, they aren't children, but they also aren't adults. their mental faculties are mature, but nothing else about them really is.
bird went to pallas because he wanted to be an irresponsible child, he wanted to be free to do what he desired. imo there is no difference between acting like an irresponsible child and actually being an irresponsible child. and that's my point: he wanted to be an irresponsible child. because he wants to be free. because his name is bird and birds are free, so that's what he decided to be. (hell, this exact line probably appears in the story lol, or something like it)

>mating rituals 2
that's a shame, i wouldn't mind more. as long as it's not just for coomer purposes and it doesn't happen all the time. but seeing the characters having those desires does add a bit to the world.

>A'cteliosh Salash
i liked some of it, but not all. i definitely still don't like flos very much. the journey towards AS on the carpet was fun, but AS itself felt a bit tropey so it didn't feel that new to me. trey doesn't stand out a lot as a character. i like the quarass though.

>> No.20832490

>>20830266
I'll button up my review of DCC and drop it a bit later today then. Thanks for the recommendations, think I do want to slot in another LitRPG after DCC so I'll take a look at He Who Fights with Monsters.

>>20830287
I come and go like a heavenly tribulation.

>>20830651
>>20830727
>>20831157
Its the matter of pacing and off-screening a bulk of the more interesting things he writes, really. I foresee that training arc mentioned at the end of the book being done completely off-screen, then demonstrating their new levels in their final battles against WHATEVER foe they choose. There's just not enough time to deal with all of the remaining threats AND somehow bridge the gap with the Abidan. Think Lindon gets a judge name and the end is 'Lindariel's Story Continues in... Abidan Chronicles #1'. Doesn't work for me.

>>20831258
Definitely a compliment, you've got a lot here and there's a glaring amount of potential. Forgot to mention it, but yours is a title that I'll be continuing after this challenge to see how the world improves as well as your writing. Noticed near the end of the first book you found your character writing and dialogue flow, which was refreshing.

>>20831373
Appreciate the head's up - anything I can do to make these reviews more digestible for a general audience?

I haven't heard of Zhuangzi but I have been wanting to dive into something that sheds more light on Daoist philosophy. Those aspects tend to be the most interesting out of the China-produced Wuxia/cultivation novels. I'll take a look at all of these, thanks man.

>>20831652
Absolute insipid faggot, everyone who liked Name of the Wind back in the original sffg should be round up and shot.

>>20831692
I see the praise without a doubt, there's a huge amount of potential here I just didn't care for all the ass pulled contrivances that started to spring up near the second half of the book. Also the focus on choking down just handfuls of pills that each adhere to the specific level of qi condensation you're on just became... boring. Every solution is to make more pills and choke them down. I would LOVE to read a cultivation book where a doctor tells the MC his liver is failing because he chokes down too much speed and demon blood.

In a perfect China, you could combine the system of Reverend Insanity and the characters of ISSTH and have CLOSE-TO the perfect cultivation novel. As it is, you've got fractured halves to a greater whole.

>>20831830
Finished book one but I'm not circling back to the series until I wrap up this 20 book reading challenge. It's my only 9/10 though, so take that as you will.

>> No.20832492

>>20832487
nta btw

>> No.20832496

>>20832487
I keep notes on everyone who review-posts because I am a slow reader and put books on the back-burner based off of such posts.

>> No.20832537

>>20832490
HWFWM isn't bad, necessarily, but it's a lot more 'standard fare'-feeling. It has solid characterisation of its protagonist but rather lacks otherwise, and the plot is at least a fairly present presence in the story compared to some other webnovels which're more just a string of unconnected events with the same characters. People either kinda like or hate the protagonist, though, because he's very much a defined character and that character is kind of a fuckhead. Personally I like that he's got a pretty clear flaw, but I dislike how it never really actually gets him in trouble.

>> No.20832573

>>20832400
It is pozzed? I almost stopped reading scifi entirely because almost everything scifi these days is pozzed.

>> No.20832630
File: 1.81 MB, 3533x5300, BOOK 3 COVER.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20832490
I think you'll enjoy the second half more than the first, I've been meaning to edit down the first half's dungeon crawl pretty much since I finished it.

>> No.20832668

>>20832466
So where else have you discussed the book you forgot the title to because it surely isn't here

>> No.20832677

tried reading the darkness that comes before and it's fucking dogshit
>dude le black cum
>dude le byzantine empire with stupid emperor who fucks his mother
>dude huge barbarian guy is actually a fag
people consider this drivel good?

>> No.20832682

>>20832677
He's not a fag.

>> No.20832683 [DELETED] 

>>20832677
>people consider this drivel good?
No and unless you want the thread to be derailed further, I'll say stop at this.

>> No.20832713

>>20831692
>Warlock of the magus world
It is the worst of the worst of chinese xanxia, the quality is so low, the writing (or the translation) is terrible, the pacing even from one paragraph to the next so bad, its jarring, I cannot understand who in their right mind would read it. I honestly believe that the author was 10 years old when he started writing it because no one with maturity of at least young adult would write something like it.

>> No.20832719

>>20832677
you may be shocked when you learn where democracy comes (kek) from and what all those philosopher catamite men were getting up to. Read Potato; Potato will teach you anadiplosis

>> No.20832734

>>20831450
Instead of reading about a character named Voltaire Seldon, maybe just read Voltaire, and Asimov Foundation Hari Seldon novels.

>> No.20832736

>>20832490
Read Human Emperor

>> No.20832737
File: 930 KB, 1650x2560, 91lMPFJXUjL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>it took 5 books, but we finally get an Amos POV
Yep, I'm thinking Nemesis Games is shaping up to be my favorite of the novels so far.

>> No.20832755

>>20831644
>>20831676
I just realised I made these posts eulogising Dan Abnett's onomastic prowess. And then in Bequin, he names the God Emperor of Mankind Keanu Reeves. This is why there is only grimdark laughter of thirsting gods in wh40k

>> No.20832790

>>20832090
Wow Elric sounds lame

>> No.20832799

>>20832229
>evil women
Yes
>ugly women
Gross dude, nobody fucking wants to read about that. It's called FANTASY not REAL LIFE.

>> No.20832805

>>20832400
>big old sphere in space
The Witches of Karres?

>> No.20832820

Name some cool sci-fi technology artifacts or fantasy relics or spells etc that are memorable. I will avoid mentioning Bakker as he has been discussed a lot already. But some random ones in my mind:
Asimov has a lot
- Synapsifier, it is a device for hyper accelerating genius (used to produce psychics in Second Foundation)
- Prime Radiant, please please do not think of what they did to it in the unspeakable tv series
- Neuronic whip... not described, but it sounds pretty painful
- Gravitics, okay aapl gave us the haptic screens (still cannot just hold hands with a telepathic computer though). But where are the hovering spaceships
- Hyperrelay, I guess it is intergalactic internet. Asimov sort of predicted interstellar microfiche wikipedia

Dan Abnett has a lot, vox, promethium I think were his inventions. The glossia Eisenhorn language is cool until he ruined it with Keanu Reeves as God Emperor. I liked the detail about hotshots in Gaunt's ghosts (he describes the lasgun internals) and also how you can overcharge the power cells etc. In Bequin I remember he describes a revolver around a shotgun which as anyone who has played Red Dead Redemption knows is a LeMat revolver (he does not explicitly name it though)

Elric / Hawkmoon: I remember Hawkmoon had flamethrowers and Elric's world had those amazing tiger sorcerors (cannot remember which novel or the name). The spell that really stuck with me is the first time the Pale Prince Of Ruin calls upon Arioch, the demon lord appears as a fly. It is an amazing and sinister scene.

>> No.20832825

>>20832737
are the books better than the show?

>> No.20832850

>>20832790
That is actually Hawkmoon / Runestaff (they are all maybe the same series or incarnations of the same being) Not a big deal in the books if I recall, they are just included as a throwaway joke. Overall though Elric is sort of about the decline of Britain, how her scions were once mighty sea rulers, (Melnibone Empire and the ziggurat ships etc) but now reduced to decadence and slow decay.

The Wandering Gothic Loner is a pretty old literary myth, it dates at least to Goethe's Faust and Ahasuerus, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein and his creation etc.
If you read Beowulf carefully, the antagonist Grendel is less of a monster and more of this archetype.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ahasuerus
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wandering_Jew

>> No.20832868 [DELETED] 

FUCK MORALITY AND RIGHTEOUS PRINCIPLES
ALL MY HOMIES LOVE SLAUGHTER, AMBITION, AND THE DEFIANCE OF THE HEAVENS
FANG YUAN SINCE 1989

>> No.20832891

>>20832825
It's a little hard to answer this because they complement each other pretty well, sometimes the book does things better and at other times the show does. The overall plot is the same in novels but it's told in a different way from the show which makes it worth going through both in my opinion. I think one of the shows biggest strengths is taking liberty with characters, for example introducing Avasarala in season one, or combining characters to create someone like Drummer, or in other cases completely change a character for the better like with Captain Ashford.

>> No.20832911

>>20832820
I like the doodads in Made in Abyss. Even just the compass that only points up instead of any of the cardinal directions.
Otherwise I just like however they decide to get around the information transmission issues in whatever series.

>> No.20832952

>>20831125
>You may get to fuck her in the ass and cum
on her face, but I get to clean her up afterwards. My light shining in her.

>> No.20832959

>>20832298
I am still thinking about this one. There are string metrics called edit distances, Levenshtein distances, that would allow you to rank compare fantasy name variations. But where would you find them? Maybe you could tokenise all the fantasy articles on wikipedia, split them into digraphs.

I wonder if someone or some website has solved this problem. I just want to be able to search say Golgotha, Gulgothir, Golgotterath or some other nonsense fantasy word and get a huge word cloud of related similar fantasy names and novels featuring them. There must be a way...

>> No.20832990

>>20829412
More like he was writing a screenplay for a future adaptation. What a hack.

>> No.20833009
File: 59 KB, 829x866, 1658059652571.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>Mat spanking Aes Sedai
>"It was worth it"
It feels good when after horrible Crossroads of Twilight kino is back on the menu once again.

>> No.20833011

>>20832820
>The Wheel is a 2 light year diameter circle around the black hole at the center of the Galaxy, has the mass of several thousand stars, rotates at very near lightspeed and because of relativistic distance distortion, the Wheel actually has a circumference of thirty million light years
>The Wheel withstands an explosion with the power of a hundred supernovas every 10,000 years and has an inertialess system that protects it from impacts by instantly accelerating anything that hits it to the same velocity
>The Wheel has three decks, so far apart that the Solar System could fit between them, with the surface area of a hundred billion Earths
>The Decks move at different subjective times, so that for one year on Deck One, 5000 years on Deck Two, and 500,000 on Deck Three, 3 million years pass in the external universe
>On Deck Two, for every day that passes, 17 months pass externally
>On Deck One, for every day that passes, 14,000 years pass externally

>> No.20833014

Very surprised by the rankings of authors on
http://www.isfdb.org/cgi-bin/stats-and-tops.cgi
I wonder if there is some time varying bias to their algorithm (nonstationary data, sample size etc?) These things matter if you rank over a hundred years You would think a science fiction / fantasy site would obssess over these details

>> No.20833015 [DELETED] 

>reading series
>ever

>> No.20833040

>>20833015
I've read the complete works of Terry Goodkind

>> No.20833044

>>20833011
This is interesting, where is it from? Is it like a Kardashev scale star engineering megastructure (ie measuring civilisation by cosmic energy capture)
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kardashev_scale

>> No.20833045

Fantasy > scifi

>> No.20833046

>>20833044
Xeelee: Redemption.

>> No.20833048

>>20832990
That seems unlikely since nothing he's written over the decades has been adapted as far as I know.

>> No.20833056

>>20832820
>The Unborn
Dread empire, a demon possessed fetus that was salvaged from a birth after the mother was impregnated with a demon seed, it floats around in a bubble obeying the wizards commands. It can read people's minds and also pick things up/carry people for transport. Very friendly.

>> No.20833069

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_R._Saunders

opinions?

>> No.20833070

I read the first few chapters of Titus Groan today. I am a fan of the architecture! And the drunken chef, Swelter!

>> No.20833075

>>20833069
A new IP. I thought this thread was just going to be bump perpetually by the same fags who can’t let this thread reach page 2 for some weird ass reason.

>> No.20833081

>>20833056
I was about to call this generic grimderp trash but the fact the thing is friendly saves it

>> No.20833085

>>20833040
I read some of these. Isn't there like a pain rod (Freud: it's a phallus) for unsubtle BDSM magic realm antics. I actually do think that Confessor is a cool title though, a lot of fantasy and gothic stuff is basically Catholicism

>England: disseminate counter Spanish Empire propaganda in 16th-17th Century
>Every fantasy genre is now based upon this imagery

>> No.20833086

>>20833075
63 IP's isn't bad

>> No.20833092

>>20833075
>same fags who can’t let this thread reach page 2 for some weird ass reason.
Zoomers for some reason, just can't stand let this general have a small break. No one posts in five minutes. Ask question. Fucking weird if you ask me. Take a break or something. This thread doesn't need to be active all the time.

>> No.20833105

>>20833092
maybe its just a popular subject

>> No.20833113

>>20833086
Needs to be 100+ at minimum without VPN shenanigans.

>> No.20833117

imagine being so autistic you care about how many IPs are posting in a thread

>> No.20833123

>>20833092
>No one posts in five minutes. Ask question. Fucking weird if you ask me.
It's artificial and it is weird. Instead of letting the discussion happen naturally they try to force it which is shows if you compare it to other previous threads.

>> No.20833132

>>20833117
It's an average 4 posts per person anyway. Minus however many double digits our village idiot put out.

>> No.20833136

>>20833081
He's a good guy
Picks up drops enemy demons that they have trouble killing from 15000 feet

>> No.20833142

>>20833123
you cant know its forced, because we're anonymous. you're reading that into it simply because the posts dont interest you, and whether or not its a new IP is arbitrary.

>> No.20833143

A long time ago I read The Monk (1796) it is not quite the oldest gothic novel like Castle Of Otranto (1764), but it is stylistically more distinct and sometimes cited as being more influential in its era. It is basically some counter Catholicism 4chan tier impregnation literature but it gives you a sense of where the WH40k or any inquisitor archetype comes from, based on these parodies of centuries old gothic imagery. Maybe just read the wikipedia plot of it, and imagine if Dan Abnett made that the storyline of Eisenhorn and Bequin instead

>> No.20833148
File: 51 KB, 347x540, 1652228666719.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20832820
"Zones of Thought" in A Fire Upon the Deep.
The Galaxy is divided by zones that limits technological progress, physical laws, intelligence both artificial and biological. Slow Zone is our hard sf space. Beyond is ayy lmao FTL travel/communication/weapons, aniti-gravity n shiet. Transcend is technological singularity where AI becomes a godlike being and make megastructures, races, viruses, stars. Meatbags can only exist in Low Transcend.

>> No.20833151

>>20831873
Didn't China Mieville write a dnd monster bestiary?

>> No.20833156

>>20833113
Nothing on the front page has more than 100 unique IPs. The closest is 'How did Bukowski pull so much pussy?' at 94. What board do you think you're on right now?

>> No.20833158
File: 125 KB, 600x1003, Blade of Tyshalle.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

So I enjoyed the ending of book 1 enough to give the Blade of Tyshalle a shot, and I'm really glad I did. In some ways I think I like this one even better though I'm still processing. The series is a dystopian scifi mixed with some great sword and sorcery fuck-shit-up-ery. The author, Stover is apparently a martial artist and it shows as he uses that knowledge to add some up close and personal brutality and extra crunchiness to the action scenes. There is also philosophy mixed in, which isn't my strong suit but I found it to be interesting enough. And /fuck/ if it isn't dark. Kind of reminds me of the Second Apocalypse in that way, though the stories and settings are so different. Then again SA has scifi elements as well...

And you know what I was thinking back to when I was discussing the first book in a previous thread and some anon asked me if it was edgy and I gave an incorrect answer. What I should have said is yes its a fucking edgefest actually, and with the second book there is no denying it. I just think the execution of it, with a dose of self-awareness is well done.

Anyway I'll continue on to the third Acts of Caine Atonement soon, which if I understand correctly is a somewhat scaled back and more ponderous Act compared to the ridiculously heavy, dark and high stakes of the first two acts.

>> No.20833164

>>20833156
In the past this general regularly had 100+, though that was because it lasted longer as well.

>> No.20833165

>>20833148
I am not entirely sure as to the name of this genre, but is it more akin to the "aethereal travel" space fantasy (not sure if that is the right name) where space is a bit like Age Of Sail? A lot of the old sword and planet science fiction used to be like this. rpgs would be like spelljammer

>> No.20833177

>>20829325
Anyone got a link for: https://www.amazon.com/Beyond-Time-Memory-Exploration-Fiction-ebook/dp/B098PRHDTF

>> No.20833178

>>20833158
It's good that you're no longer deluding yourself.

>> No.20833183

how long does it take you guys to finish a, lets say, 300 page novel?

>> No.20833191

>>20833183
A day maybe two depending on how interested I am in it.

>> No.20833205

>>20833183
That depends on a lot of variables, but the average person reading at 300wpm would take 8.3 hours.

>> No.20833226

>>20833183
Around 4-6 hours, probably? Depends on stuff like words per page and all.

>> No.20833242

>>20832820
William Gibson gave us a lot:
- Black ICE intrusion countermeasures electronics. Kills hackers. Cybersecurity people would take this and use ICE nomenclature in homage. Icebreaker is the hacker counter countermeasure
- Blue Nine, Grievous Angel, drugs
- dermadisk, skin injectable
- simstim, it is TikTok, or youtube asmr, or those Feelies from Brave New World
- microlight, apparently this is a real world thing. Refers to an ultralight (foldable? in book) aircraft, it is used in a military infiltration
- microsoft, kek. just software back then
- do not think Gibson invented it, but I read about flechette guns first from him

The newer Gibson books do not have as cool nomenclature. There are however Directed Swarm Weapons

Alastair Reynolds - if some anon has actually read these I would be interested, I was just browsing Revelation Space wikipedia
- scrimshaw suit, this is a cool name. Some sort of sensory deprivation torture device? It makes me think of that Kafka story, In The Penal Colony, with that scarification machine
- lighthugger, cool name for spaceship
- cryoarithmetic (this is clever if you know about Landauer Limits, thermodynamics and computers)

>> No.20833263

>>20833183
Considering Dune was 412 pages,
a week of reading 6 hours a day.
But considering I'm a lazy piece of shit... a year because I find excuses to just watch youtube.

I wish everything I picked up didn't happen to be the most meaty shit ever. Can't wait to get through the classics and just plow through 8 hour books.

>> No.20833271

>>20832820
I'm currently reading the Fionavar Tapestry trilogy, and in the first book The Summer Tree, the aged sorceress who counsels the Kings of Brennin (sort of ur-Arthurian stuff) has a relic called the Dagger of Lokdal, a Dwarven-crafted weapon with immeasurable power - it has the ability to turn a person into an avatar of capital-G God and capable of fighting capital-S Satan's magical arts on equal footing. The caveat is, that the person who uses the dagger uses it on themselves, and the dagger kills that person's body and soul so utterly that not only will they no longer exist but they will never have existed; the godlike power being transferred to the nearest individual, in this case the sorceress's apprentice.

In The Spirit Ring, the setting is Renaissance Italy in a world where magic and fairy creatures are taken as a matter of fact, and adjudicated by the Catholic Church. The eponymous spirit rings are magical devices, which are considered exceptionally heretical by the Vatican, because they usurp God's claim to the human soul; before a body is shriven by a priest (which sends its soul straight to its heavenly reward), the soul remains in the body in a dreamlike state, and at this point it can be captured by a Guild Magician and placed into a Spirit Ring for use in various servile purposes like Mickey Mouse's magic tricks in The Sorceror's Apprentice sequence of Fantasia. These are dangerous though because the longer a soul is kept bound to a material existence after death, fully cut off from divine grace, and the more frequently its power is used, it can degenerate into uncontrollable demon, or turn its owner into a demon lord himself.

>> No.20833277

>>20833263
>42 hours to read 412 pages
>9.8 pages per hour, 1 page per 6 minutes
>8 hour book would be 80 pages

>> No.20833281

>>20833242
>- cryoarithmetic (this is clever if you know about Landauer Limits, thermodynamics and computers)
Yeah this was an interesting idea

>> No.20833317 [DELETED] 

TO THE EXECUTION DOCKS
I HAVE COME

>> No.20833321

>>20833183
It depends on how I tackle it. Some books I like to savor, and I only spend an hour or two at most each night just before bed. That typically results in roughly 5-10 days for a 250-450 page novel, or about 3 weeks for a trilogy. though of course not all novels have the same word density per page - those Harper Collins reprints of Michael Crichton novels are like 900 pages but I go through them in 3 days because there's like 100 words a page. If I'm actually reading throughout the day though, I typically complete standard mass-market paperbacks in no more than 36 hours, that is two daylight sessions.

>> No.20833338

>>20833277
Thank you for doing the math.
Maybe I read way less at a time since I like to stop at spots and think about things.
Also I have no idea how big the text looks on the book because in my kindle it was like 900 pages.

>> No.20833361

>>20833317
ill never forgive marco inaros...

>> No.20833363 [DELETED] 

new thread WHEN?

>> No.20833426

>>20833361
but he's so handsome...

>> No.20833427

>>20833177
Just buy it, you cheap faggot.

>> No.20833435

At the beginning of every thread /sffg/ says "science fiction and fantasy general". But I see now science fiction here, only horny idiots fantasizing about being chinese murderhobo cultivators/wanking off the same three authors. Please clarify mr. fors.

>> No.20833452

>>20833435
For all it matters, Retribution Engine IS sci-fi of a sort. Just less lasers and spaceships and more dieselpunk magitech.

>> No.20833459

>>20833363
That depends on the post and thread creation rate. Quite a few hours from now probably.

>> No.20833467

>>20833363
It's not even over the fucking bump limit man.

>> No.20833480

>>20833427
Im an East Yuropoor, it's not cheap for me.

>> No.20833484

>>20833452
It's the same guy bitching about the same problems every time instead of adding value to the thread or contributing to the active sci-fi discussions, or the guy talking about Gibson and Reynolds, Leviathan Wakes, etc. Worse than the guys who just post 'Read Cradle' or the Reverend Insanity cover.

>> No.20833519

>>20833484
>the guy talking about Gibson and Reynolds, Leviathan Wakes
>Leviathan Wakes
Is Leviathan Wakes the name of the series in novel format? Is The Expanse only the title of the adaptation?

>> No.20833539

>>20833519
Apologies, its The Expanse Series with Leviathan Wakes being the first book.

>> No.20833540

>>20833484
As the resident Expanse chad, he is not I.

>> No.20833598

I'm reading through the Lord of the Mysteries wiki page and I'm finding absolute powerlevel autism that I can't even begin to comprehend or conceptualize. Is LOTM just numbers autism like all the other chinkcultivation fics? I.e.
>Amon’s actions confused Sefirah Castle, forcing it to open a gate to the material world. Amon took this chance and used his Door and Error authorities to attempt an escape, but was stopped by Klein who managed to surpass Amon's authority over his pathways for a short period of time. Klein took that chance to “fool“ Amon, slowed down his thoughts, and grafted the concept of a dying star inside himself, blasting Amon with a supernova.

>>20833539
I see, thanks for the clarification, clarificationbro.

>> No.20833615
File: 167 KB, 1280x720, Goomba_with_boobs.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Saw a thread on /v/ that got me thinking.
Are there any books featuring a human male MC with a fictional creature as a love interest/partner? And I'm not talking about mere elves and dwarves. But actual strange creatures.

>> No.20833619

>>20833165
Not so. More like SF about galactic Usernet cyberspace and AI shitposter starting mass shootings the book has literally "*ahem* I have an announcement to make" scene.

>> No.20833622

>>20833363
Wait until it reaches bump limit *and* page 10. The board is slow, so we can allow the thread to linger for a long time after bump limit.

>> No.20833634
File: 761 KB, 1060x676, universe sword rp autism i hate you all.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20833598
This man has to have been a battle RP sperg in the past, this reads EXACTLY like the dogshit wannabe-godmode RP profiles I used to reject when I modded a roleplaying community on G+ as a retarded teenager

>> No.20833635

>>20833634
literally me

>> No.20833651

>>20833435
Just ignore everything with an anime or Avatar (airbender) style cover and everything by anyone chinese except the Three Body Problem.

This thread is still a good resource for beginners, but not beginners to 4chan. You need that 4chan experience to naturally filter out shit, bullshit, shills, copypasta both new and old, and a general experience with the memes here.
I understand that you can't really divide /lit/ like you can with /v/ and /vg/ so you can get all the moba faggots in their own thread, so we can't get the popcorn chink, literal anime tier books in their own thread, so you just have to learn to ignore it, like you have to ignore all shit in every thread on every board.

>> No.20833688

>>20833435
If one wants to read they HAVE to pick the chinese or the westerners, there are no other options. Obviously any sensible person will choose the lesser evil (the chinese).

>> No.20833694
File: 56 KB, 680x517, old god gf.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20833615
>Are there any books featuring a human male MC with a fictional creature as a love interest/partner?
Incredible amount. Just look at harem genre, a lot of them have monster girls as love interests.

>> No.20833698

>>20833694
mommy evernight...

>> No.20833722

>>20833694
That's just a goth girl with some shadow powers. You can get weirder than that... and more specific please.

>> No.20833750

>>20833722
For instance, 'Sexy Space Babes' is a fic where the protagonist fucks different alien beings (the story is actually much more serious than the title indicates).
Other than that I can't recall from the top of my head

>> No.20833766
File: 142 KB, 400x600, pathsofthechosen.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20833722
Oh, and try this, it has more than just a centaur girl.
https://www.royalroad.com/fiction/32181/paths-of-the-chosen-rewritten-revised-and-reinvigorated

>> No.20833777

>>20833766
Do they have sex?

>> No.20833780

>>20833722
>Royal road
>Isekai
Eh... that's all you got? Oh well, you tried. Thanks anyway. I honestly have to wonder if someone paying you to promote bad royal road books

>> No.20833785

>>20833777
Multiple times, in detail.

>> No.20833792

>>20833780
For a smut royal road story, it's quite decent. Sex scenes (which are the most important in this instance) are particularly good, and I'm the guy who keeps reading self-pub harems, so I know what I'm talking about.

>> No.20833814

>>20833792
I'm not in it for the sex scenes. Or the harems. I just want a decent tale where the lead female character happens to be a strange creature.

>> No.20833891
File: 960 KB, 1600x2560, sloth-being-final-copy.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20833615
Cebelius writes a lot of that. Velise an Forsaken specifically.

>> No.20833926

>>20833814
>I'm not in it for the sex scenes. Or the harems
then you're out of luck. a strange creature love interest has too much risk of ruining a story for a regular audience, so its safest place is as smut specifically written for people that fetishize that sort of thing

this being said, whats a good non-smut with an elf-girl love interest?

>> No.20833963

>>20833785
I will now buy your game.

>> No.20833972

>>20833777
Garbagesgdjsh

>> No.20833976
File: 542 KB, 1920x2617, daniel-carrasco-demonfemale1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20833891
mmm... We're getting closer. But judging by the covers, all I see is "girl with horns" or "girl top, creature bottom". And that's not really what I have in mind. How can I explain it. It's not quite monster girl in the anime sense, it's not quite furry. It should be strange and alien, despite its femininity.

Like, imagine if the Shrike from Hyperion was feminine. Actually, I just remembered a prime example! A couple of the Vokosigan saga books featured this huge beast woman. Upon googling her, most of the drawing just make her an ugly woman. But her depiction on the cover of Miles Errant is the kind of creature I had in mind while reading. This is the kind of thing I'm talking about. A good book that just happens to feature a female creature as a love interest.

>>20833926
I pray there is some obscure book out there for me.

>> No.20833983
File: 2.61 MB, 1800x2713, cvr9780743435581_9780743435581_hr.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20833891
>>20833976
The cover for reference.

>> No.20833988

>>20833983
>"Boy, can she write!"

>> No.20833991

>>20833976
I definitely read that as Mage Errant at first.

>> No.20834011

Do any of you have numbers for what the most recent yearly sells per genre are? Last I checked, romance was shitting on everything else with its female-demographic shifter meta.

>> No.20834020

>>20834011
Write the novel you wanna write then at the end change the hero to a heroine. Instant sales boost.

>> No.20834022

>>20834011
I mean, fantasy in general doesn't sell hugely well. It's mostly thrillers that're top of the pack, with romance just after, then a significant gap and I think fantasy is like 4th.

>> No.20834026

The best selling author of all time is Agatha Christie.

>> No.20834030

>>20834011
>No new IP
>Another question to force a discussion
That anon was right in the end, Zoomers really are incapable of letting /sffg/ rest for any second, it literally has to be on the first page for some reason. I dread when it becomes night and see two or three anons asking questions pointlessly instead of sleeping.

>> No.20834041

>>20834030
No it came up in a relevant conversation with a friend and I was curious since I'm sure someone here probably knows more than I do or has researched it recently. I'm many fags in this thread including one who posts about books that nobody responds to.
>4.4 posts per IP
god forbid

>> No.20834044

>>20834030
shut up nigger

>> No.20834060

>>20834030
you're autistic

>> No.20834074

>>20831825
>Elric is a shitty LE SUBVERSION ripoff of Conan.
No, Elric is based on The Broken Sword, by Poul Anderson.

>> No.20834083

>>20833976
Yeah, nah, it's on that level. Those aren't legs below her torso in the pic.

>> No.20834086
File: 59 KB, 750x355, 7B9CBEAB-BB58-4FBD-BFFB-44628C2C28A2.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20834030
>That anon was right in the end, Zoomers really are incapable of letting /sffg/ rest for any second, it literally has to be on the first page for some reason.
I think it’s interesting, if only because it sort of confirms that some people have no lives and will actually post 24/7 on /sffg/. I mean at 6:30 AM, there were like 33 unique posters, but it was only an hour ago did we have 66 posters.

>> No.20834094

>>20832128
>is [competent character] A GARY STU???
You need to go back.

>> No.20834108

>>20834020
>she slammed her throbbing cock into the elf maid's virgin pussy

>> No.20834116

>>20834030
>>20834086
It's the newfags, they think /sffg/ needs to be active all the time, which is really dumb mindset to have since /lit/ is a slow board which means its generals are also slow. Hence you have them asking question after five minutes of inactivity or when this thread drops to page 2 or rarely to page 3. This thread doesn't need to be active all the time but they either don't understand that or are incapable of having that mindset because they're zoomers..

>> No.20834140

>>20834116
>Hence you have them asking question after five minutes of inactivity
Zoomers gonna zoom, I also notice that whenever the thread reaches the bump limit, they stop posting suddenly.

>> No.20834147

>>20834116
what fucking newfags? you're literally making up a headcanon. people are just talking casually, stop being weird

>> No.20834149 [DELETED] 

>>20834083
Yeah, no, it's not the same. Your example has two distinctive elements that are connected. What I'm describing are elements that are heavily mixed. Combining to create something that is not distinctly one thing or the other.

>I mean at 6:30 AM
Do you mean 6:30 PM? Because here in America, it's only 8:43 PM. So it's the evening, but still not late enough to go to bed. People are winding down and posting online for fun. I'm on the east coast. On the west coast, it's still only 5:44 PM.

Also, you're a phone poster. So where the hell do you get off criticizing others for posting at odd times of day. You can't even wait until you return to your PC to post.

>> No.20834155

>>20834140
>I also notice that whenever the thread reaches the bump limit, they stop posting suddenly.
I assume since the thread can no longer be bumped, they lose interest, hence why the thread zooms when it's under the bump limit but dies instantly after it reaches it.

>> No.20834161

>>20834083
Yeah, no, it's not the same. Your example has two distinctive elements that are connected. What I'm describing are elements that are heavily mixed. Combining to create something that is not distinctly one thing or the other.

>>20834086
>I mean at 6:30 AM
Do you mean 6:30 PM? Because here in America, it's only 8:43 PM. So it's the evening, but still not late enough to go to bed. People are winding down and posting online for fun. I'm on the east coast. On the west coast, it's still only 5:44 PM.

Also, you're a phone poster. So where the hell do you get off criticizing others for posting at odd times of day. You can't even wait until you return to your PC to post.

>> No.20834168

>>20834155
>since the thread can no longer be bumped, they lose interest, hence why the thread zooms when it's under the bump limit but dies instantly after it reaches it.
That could explain it, which just makes their behavior even weirder.

>> No.20834171

genuine fucking autism

>> No.20834177

>>20834168
>which just makes their behavior even weirder.
They probably don't like being called out, or hoped no one would notice.

>> No.20834190

>>20834161
>Do you mean 6:30 PM?
Nope. AM. At 6:30 AM there were 33 unique posters. I also don’t use my phone. I only did it because it had that.

>> No.20834201

>>20834177
Kinda hard to notice the questions being ask often. Still wondering what the night will bring.

>> No.20834207

>>20834201
>Still wondering what the night will bring.
Worst case scenario is just what this anon >>20834030 said and seeing two or three anons asking questions pointlessly instead of sleeping.

>> No.20834208

>30 minutes of bitching without answering my question

>> No.20834212

>>20834208
Zoomers left and won’t be active, and I’m more interested in their erratic behavior.

>> No.20834216

>>20834190
Oh I see. I misunderstood. But I get what you mean now. Well I'm still curious to know which time zone you're in. So I can figure out what 6:30 AM is to you. And I'm also curious why you saved a snapshot of the post count at 6AM from your phone. Are you regularly keeping tabs on thread stats throughout the day? Or...?

>> No.20834234

>>20834216
I’m an hour behind you, and for the reason why I have that snapshot is because of random luck, the thread didn’t update so I could see what it was during that time. I don’t really keep up tabs on threads,

>> No.20834246

>Severian gets anointed the avatar of not-Jesus by an eldritch alien god's techno-magic
>first thing he does is get pussy and complain about her performance
Some things never change, I guess

>> No.20834261

>>20834086
>>20834190
>At 6:30 AM there were 33 unique posters.
I'm staring at this, and I am bemused by it, because it implies, we had more unique posters at night, probably Europeans, than we did during the day. The fuck.

>> No.20834280

>>20834261
The anon who insist it’s 4.4 posts per IP is just coping. The thread was carried by a few and it shows.

>> No.20834281

Been reading through the Mistborn trilogy, halfway through the second book now and liking it a lot so far
But I got curious and decided to look at the wiki page for other media based on it, its always interesting to see an old TV show or videogame adaptation of some of these books
I look and all it says is that Kelsier has a fucking fortnite skin
huh???? fucking what?????

>> No.20834282

>>20831674
Which one?

>> No.20834290

>>20831464
What did he do in Kholinar except let Moash walk?

>> No.20834297

>>20834280
>The thread was carried by a few and it shows.
Not really denying it since it didn't even last a day, but still. The fuck

>> No.20834301

>>20834234
ok, you're an hour behind me. so I'm going to check when 6:30 AM was. It should be around this post >>20830771 That's post number 95. Some inane generaltard drivel.

33 IPs within 95 posts is an average of 3 posts per IP.
Compared to the remainder of the thread: 40 IPs within 238 posts. That's an average of 6 posts per IP. That's assuming all the previous 33 IPs vanished. In actuality, those original 33 IPs are likely still active. If you count the the total thread numbers, then you see that the grand average is about 4.5 posts per IP. So what you're actually seeing, is about a 33% lower post average during the early AM hours. And the throughout the day, the number increases to about 33% above average.

Which, to me, is about as I would expect. Seems normal to me.

>> No.20834305

>>20834281
Dude I know it's so fucking random, do 13 years Olds even read let alone know what mistborn is?

>> No.20834341

>>20834301
>Which, to me, is about as I would expect. Seems normal to me.
Not him, but no, the thread usually gets around 90+ to 100+ IP recently. Having 74 is a negative swing.

>> No.20834344

>>20834301
Anon, I think you’re downplaying the issue, but it’s whatever’s.

>> No.20834431

>>20834344
I think you guys are overthinking basic ebb and flow. You might as well be at the beach pointing and jeering at high tide.

>> No.20834477

>>20834305
Sanderson's a close friend of one of the Epic guys, because he wrote the Infinity Blade novels or something. Still a weird pull.

>> No.20834489

tl;dr Should I read just the first books in a series (but these books are generally regarded on their own) or do a whole series before I move on?

I'm basically getting into reading for the first time in my life. I always liked sci-fi, it's just I'm a huge faggot procrastinator and I'm at my computer 15 hours a day.

So far I've been pretty easy to please. There's nothing I've put down because I thought it was bad. I want to know if you think it would be better to read a series or just get in all the big books first.
Like I read Dune, Hyperion, 3 Body Problem, and Blindsight, but those have 6, 4, 3, and 2 books in the series.
Even Rendezvous with Rama is apparently a series.
I'm just wondering if I'm missing something by not reading the series before moving on to a new IP.
I know this is personal question type deal, but for those of you who read a lot more do you think you would have gained more one way or the other if you started over?

>> No.20834494

>>20834489
Decide on your own.

>> No.20834502

>>20834489
I just read a series until it ends or I get bored of it
sometimes that happens 6 books in, sometimes during the first book, and often not until the end
but I don't force myself to finish reading something I don't enjoy just to finish it

>> No.20834510

>>20834489
>it's just I'm a huge faggot procrastinator and I'm at my computer 15 hours a day.
We can tell.

>> No.20834538

>>20830022
I like to borrow books from the library. If I really like a book, Ill buy em but transporting books from one home to another is always a headache

>> No.20834608

>>20834477
Oh, I guess that makes some sort of sense then, still really weird to me.

>> No.20834651

>Need to read absolute trash litrpg if I just want sword and board fantasy instead of """highbrow""" fantasy """""epic"""""s
This timeline sucks.

>> No.20834677

>>20834608
Apparently they have the rights to put Vin in too, they just haven't.

>> No.20834723
File: 35 KB, 323x267, 1.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>can read 40 books long wuxia/xianxia no problem, no sweat
>struggle to get through 3 books long western fantasy.

>> No.20834730

>>20834723
Who asked?

>> No.20834733

>>20834723
Okay, don’t know why you’re making this your blog.

>> No.20834743

>>20834723
it's because chinkshit repeats itself so much that your brain shuts off the way it would with an episodic sitcom

>> No.20834757

>>20834723
>can masturbate to wendy rule34 for 14 hours straight
>too nervous to talk to actual wendy's cashier
Why is this?

>> No.20834765

>>20834723
rec some solid wuxia

>> No.20834870

>>20834723
bugman enjoys bugthings what else is new

>> No.20835072

Is the red knight worth reading

>> No.20835078

What is an sure sign something is *not* YA?

Rape?
Gore?
Sex?

>> No.20835082

>>20835078
YA can have sex and implied rape. maybe not gore

>> No.20835084

>>20834723
Wuxia/Xianxia is the high fructose corn syrup of literature.

>> No.20835088

>>20835084
any fellow cornchads

>> No.20835092

>>20835084
you mean the monosodium glutamate of literature

>> No.20835098

>>20835092
Jamie Olive Oil why you only use three green chili in your curry? So weak, so weak!

>> No.20835099

>>20835078
Dialogue that sounds like it comes from the mouth of real people.
Two characters older than 25yo and with life experience having a mature relationship.

>> No.20835112

>>20835092
I suppose that's one way of looking at it.
But high fructose corn syrup is incredibly cheap to produce. Costing even less than grain sugar. It's taking over food industry, being found in everything you eat. And it piques your cravings, so you end up eating more than you would normally.

>> No.20835186
File: 87 KB, 976x850, _.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Women liking a book is a big red flag.

>> No.20835225
File: 48 KB, 560x629, 1516869323514.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

Hoid is Brando's self-insert.

>> No.20835272

>>20835225
Brandon self inserts as a pagecount

>> No.20835283 [DELETED] 

New thread
>>20835281

>> No.20835296

>>20835283
The guy that keeps spamming supreme really has no life.

>> No.20835306

>>20835296
I think he gets ban because of that so he ban evades just to keep posting supreme or any other words.

>> No.20835329

>>20835283
New thread is having such a terrible start, but the again, it’s almost 1 am. So anyone posting what going to be a shitter at this point

>> No.20835349

>>20835329
Kek did even last twenty minutes.

>> No.20835358

New thread
>>20835357

>> No.20835381

>>20832959
The database is the only issue. Assuming you had searchable text of all fantasy books it's pretty easy to do a fuzzy search.

>> No.20835387

>>20835072
Scroll the thread or check the archives. Christ. It’s just sad that doing such basic has been lost now.

>> No.20835482

>>20835283
Aww man. You deleted my post against Jack Vance.

>> No.20835527

>>20831387
Not who you are replying to, but why compare them? Kaladin ofc would get found out, his powers are not for subterfuge. I'm not saying Shallan is a good character, just that I dont understand your argument.

>> No.20835585

>>20829337
did an AI write this?

>> No.20835695

>>20834290
Allowing the pointless death of one of my favorite characters by turning into a crying bitch and not fighting against random slaves that he spent like a week with. He should have gone berserk and slaughtered everyone to protect the man he was supposed to protect.