[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 142 KB, 570x712, plato_360x450.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20512575 No.20512575 [Reply] [Original]

Sorry but I just don't think a guy who lived in an unironic utopia has anything to offer modern people
>lived in a homogenous city-state
>ate fresh food sold at the market by the farmer who grew it
>no media (nope), no mass surveillance, no internet
>no plastic, no endocrine disruptors, pesticides
>lived to 80

>> No.20512587

>>20512575
Plato was also rich af.

>> No.20513517

>>20512575
I think he does, because he didn't invent anything new really. He just conveyed what was known already in the form of myths, traditions and subconsciousness in an intellectual comprehensible form, which is great for us since we are completely cut off from these old traditions and myths, so his approach is much easier for us to understand.

>> No.20513548

>>20512575
He also lived through one of the most chaotic times of his city. Around 70% of characters in his dialogues were executed, murdered, killed in war etc.

>>20513517
>he didn't invent anything new really. He just conveyed what was known already in the form of myths, traditions and subconsciousness
Lmao no, Platonism was a complete divergence from the philosophical, moral and intellectual tradition of people that came before him, like it went from a common Greek opinion that theft or piracy was a respectable occupation and a subconscious belief that justice was a social construct to Plato reasoning that abstractions (such as justice) have essences outside of human mind and matter. There's a reason why philosophy even distinguishes between presocratic and postsocratic thought.

>> No.20513558

>>20513517
>>20513548
also we aren't cut off from "old traditions and myths", I dunno where people get the idea like bronze age people or presocratics had an intricate moral compass with deep metaphysical tradition or something. You're free to read Iliad or Odyssey and all the myths you're looking for are there and most of it is just "muh honour".

>> No.20513586

>>20512575
So which dialogue do you have an issue with, or are just here to spout your uninformed cope?

>> No.20513587

>>20513548
I'm not talking about the presocratics, I'm talking about much older myths, whose metaphysics and moral guidance are quite similar to Plato's, they're just much harder to grasp since they're package in the form of myths.

>most of it is just "muh honour"
Thanks for proving my point that we have no idea of how to interpret the old myths like they were meant to be.

>I dunno where people get the idea like bronze age people or presocratics had an intricate moral compass with deep metaphysical tradition or something
Where do you think the cross-cultural myth of the "Golden Age" comes from?