[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 33 KB, 329x499, KJ_Bible_Oxford_World's_Classics.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20459510 No.20459510 [Reply] [Original]

I don't know anything about Christianity beyond the surface level stuff and a few stories. Can I just jump straight into reading the Bible or is some secondary text laying out the groundwork and themes more preferable? Also why is the King James Bible the recommended Bible?

>> No.20459534

>>20459510
Read The God Delusion first. You'll thank me for it in 10 years.

>> No.20459569
File: 341 KB, 1720x2448, Palamas_Vatopaidi.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20459510
>Can I just jump straight into reading the Bible or is some secondary text laying out the groundwork and themes more preferable?
Yes, start with the New Testament, cover to cover, then the Old Testament, cover to cover. You may or may not want to get a study Bible at some point to help you understand, that being said they are all theologically bound to one denomination or another so you might want to wait until you've matured as a Christian before buying one.
>Also why is the King James Bible the recommended Bible?
For historical reasons it became the most popular English Bible in America and then some schizo baptists started pretending it had advanced revelations over the original Greek and Hebrew and some of them eventually found themselves on 4chan. They're called the KJV-Only movement or KJV-Onlyists.
It's a good and beautiful translation but it's not "the" translation either. Since it's in old English it can be challenging to read but it's also what gives it charm.
My thoughts on some good English Bible translations:
Protestants: ESV, NKJV, NASB, NRSV, RSV, and KJV
Catholic: NRSV-CE, ESV-CE, Douay-Rheims
Orthodox: OSB, EOB
Stay away from any "easy to read" versions
I would also suggest you read an edition with the Deuterocanon/Apocrypha whether you are Protestant or not.

>> No.20459585

>>20459569
>Stay away from any "easy to read" versions
Why specifically?

>> No.20459592

>>20459585
The reliance on paraphrasing over preserving the original meaning and using less vocabulary makes these versions less accurate and remove a lot of the nuance of the text.

>> No.20459615

>>20459592
I find that NIV is the version that helps me understand the most of what i'm reading. Is that version good enough or should i try and struggle with the more traditional ones? I have to admit i'm not quite the most experienced when it comes to reading.

I'm not OP btw

>> No.20459617

>>20459569
>that being said they are all theologically bound to one denomination or another so you might want to wait until you've matured as a Christian before buying one.
Do you mean staying away from study Bibles in particular or just the Bible in general? I was raised Catholic and got confirmed but found myself favoring the Protestants when I was a teenager. At this point, I'm not really sure where I stand. I guess I would identify as an agnostic. Could these circumstances impede my ability to better appreciate the texts?

>> No.20459645

start with the gospels and the rest of the new testament

>> No.20459663
File: 175 KB, 799x1202, st_nino_icon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20459615
I am not personally a fan of the NIV in particular but if this is the version that gets you to read the Holy Scriptures, who am I to judge? It's a popular one and there's nothing especially wrong with it. I would recommend that everyone try to read multiple translations over their lifetimes though.

>>20459617
I meant study Bibles in particular. I just wanted to point out that there aren't any "neutral" study Bibles. Please do not stay away from the Bible altogether! I could have expressed myself a bit better there.
I don't think being agnostic means you can't appreciate the Bible, in fact reading the Bible is what made me convert to Christianity. Personally I think the greater appreciation for the Holy Scriptures comes with the greater repentance. It's a process I pray you will come to experience for yourself.

>> No.20459675

>>20459510
Mark, John, Matthew, Luke, in that order, then rest of NT and then Ecclesiastes, Job, and Torah (first 5 books of OT), then rest of OT from Joshua

>> No.20459744

>>20459663
adding to this anon, it's quite a surprising thing.
when you get closer to God the Bible just comes to life, with all its nuance and meaning. i can't even explain properly.

another tip, if you're confused about what some verse means, try to check the original language. some nuance and meaning is lost in translation, as is to be expected.
for one nice example, in Ecclesiastes where it says everything is meaningless, it's also the word for smoke; you can draw the meanings to it , like being ephemeral, impossible to grasp and confusing when you're in the middle of it.
Bible Project has a few great linguistic studies. a bit iffy on how they simplify stuff, but those word studies are solid.
>>20459569
nice post. why the deuterocanonicals though?

>> No.20459901

>>20459744
The Deuterocanonical books were considered Holy Scriptures up until the Protestant reformation and were part of the Septuagint, used by second-temple period Jews. Even Martin Luther considered them "good to read".

>> No.20459913

>>20459663
>>20459744
Thank you

>> No.20459922

>>20459569
>Yes, start with the New Testament, cover to cover, then the Old Testament, cover to cover.
Why this order?

>> No.20459946

>>20459922
it's as good as any.
some like to swap the Gospels around and such.
if you mean why NT then OT, it's easier to see the prophecy in the OT after you've seen its conclusion (which is Jesus Christ)

>> No.20459962
File: 1.53 MB, 1024x1388, Nicaea_icon.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20459922
The Church Fathers (guided by the Holy Spirit) put the New Testament in the order that it is for a reason. I think that by choosing another order than that we do ourselves a disservice, by going our own way instead of following the guidance of some of the wisest and holiest men to exist. Same thing with the Old Testament.

>> No.20459973

>>20459569
>>20459663
>>20459962
You seem to know your stuff. I’m just curious but made you become a Christian instead, say, a Buddhist? How do you feel about different religions?

>> No.20460014

christcucks will tell you no cos they understand the bible is jewish mythology and anyone with a brain after reading chapters of jewish geneology, bizarre desert dietary rules and complete and utter degeneracy with a focus on foreskins will come to this realisation pretty quickly

>> No.20460020

>>20459922
See>>20460014

>> No.20460024

The KJV is the most beautiful. Most editions of it, however have tiny printing, which I find makes reading unappealing. I really like the Jerusalem Bible for this, and find it beautiful.

As has been said, be careful of just using any old translation. I had a Bible which translated a verse to warn against the dangers of drugs. My buddy had one which had a commentary which turned every verse into a moral injunction.

As for what to read first time I would say Gen, Exodus, Deuteronomy, Josh, Judges, Ruth, Samuel, Kings, Esther, Ezra, Job, Psalms, Proverbs, Song of Solomon, Ecclesiastes, Jeremiah or Isaiah, Daniel, the Gospels, Acts, Romans, Revelations.

That is the basic ‘story’ with the poetic books and a prophetic book.

>> No.20460034
File: 21 KB, 128x127, 1640044231451.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>TIL that the Christian god killed kids because they made fun of a bald man according to the old testament

>> No.20460061
File: 351 KB, 360x527, F52lg.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20459973
I don't know that much compared to most people at my Church but I was in the same place you are so a lot of the questions you had I explored quite a bit already.
I used to be quite into western occultism and eastern religions a few years ago, reading through existentialist authors (Kierkegaard, Dostoevsky and especially Pascal) is what pushed me to read the Bible and then I became Christian. I would say what convinced me the most from an intellectual perspective is the specific Old Testament prophecies and types about Christ, Pascal lists many in his Pensées and it became obvious as I read through the Old Testament (especially Psalms and Isaiah). Repentance and prayer is what actually lead me to attend Church. I think other religions can have good teachings but come short of the extraordinary historical evidence Christianity has for Christ's miracles, birth, death on the cross, resurrection and ascension to Heaven. Buddhism for example, to me is basically "I sat under a tree and became enlightened so whatever I say is true".

>> No.20460065

>>20459510
Just start with the Old Testament. That’s the order it was made in. Maybe have some exegesis on hand to help explain verses. The early church fathers are ideal because they’re the basis for Christian belief but that’s expensive so idk. There’s no one you can truly trust anyway

>> No.20460173

>>20459962
I meant why NT before OT?

>> No.20460254

>>20459510
I agree with the other posters saying to start with the New Testament. A lot of people try to read the Old Testament and can’t get past Leviticus.

>> No.20460420

>>20459510
>Also why is the King James Bible the recommended Bible?
For learning about Christianity, it isn't. A vocal minority of retarded mutt protestants think it and it alone is divinely inspired and true and that all other translations are wrong. The NRSV is currently the most widely used translation in academia and is very easy to read, so it is a good choice. Not that the KJV is a bad choice to be clear--it's just not the best.
The KJV is the most well known and oft-quoted translation, as well as the most poetic and beautifully written, so if you are reading for literary or historical value instead, then it is recommended.

>> No.20460455

>>20459510
>is some secondary text laying out the groundwork and themes more preferable?

Why would you need something to contextualize the Bible before reading it? The Bible is literally the context for most of the western Canon. Just read it nigga. I really don't understand how you can consider yourself /lit/ without having read sometjing as foundational as the Bible.

>> No.20460469

DRA mogs KJV

>> No.20460481

>>20460173

The Gospels are the central account of Jesus' life, ministry and resurrection. Their collective narrative forms the core of Christianity itself, and is (pretty much) the most culturally and theologically important thing that distinguishes it from Judaism. I'm an atheist but When I was a young boy and went to a protestant church, we were given personal bibles at one point. The pastor clearly told us not to start with the Old Testament, but the New Testament (read: read the gospels first) Naturally I started with Genesis instead, got bored and put it down.

>> No.20461397

>>20459510
Read Knowing God by J I Packer
All of Grace by Charles Spurgeon is also good.

>> No.20461833

>>20460481
why don't you give it another try?
also give Mere Christianity a read.