[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.62 MB, 3240x3600, burirsqq08i21.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20435607 No.20435607 [Reply] [Original]

Hi anons, I want to compile myself a philosophy reading curriculae and I have to start with the Greeks. The issue is from what I see on the sources and infographics list always have more random secondary sources I don't care about and bullshit books about history or some boring shit some woman wrote in 2007 about Greek irrigation. Is there an actual good list of actual philosophy I can read to get a good grasp of the Greeks?
Also I've already read the odyssey illiad and oedipussy
Thanks

>> No.20435640

>>20435607
>more random secondary sources I don't care about
You can try to interpret Plato or Aristotle on your own, sure, but commentaries are indispensable for comparing your own conclusions to and making sure you didn't miss anything that most people would consider important to those works
>bullshit books about history
It's pretty important to at least have a general understanding of the social and political climate of the time those were written seeing as how most consider anything older than a few decades utterly alien and incomprehensible

>> No.20435657

>>20435607
Homer > Herodotus > Pre-Socratics > Thucydides > Plato > Aristotle
You can add in the plays during Plato if you want to, but they're not necessary philosophically.

You have to read them all in that order; or, if you're only seeking bare minimum pure philosophy, it's more just like: Pre-Socratics > Plato > Aristotle.

>> No.20435663
File: 77 KB, 680x383, 1653522864706.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>20435640
>Commentaries
Are these integrated with the actual works themselves combined or seperate readings?
>History
Yeah should of provided more background I know a bit about history and I took a few classics courses in college so I feel like it'd be redundant

Thanks anon

>> No.20435668

>>20435657
>Pre-Socratics > Plato > Aristotle.

Probably this but with some added random stuff that seem interesting like Epicurus or things I feel speak more personally to me like Xenophon

>> No.20436120

>>20435663
>Are these integrated with the actual works themselves combined or seperate readings?
Ancient commentaries aren't, but there's some modern translations that may include commentaries (Allan Bloom's Republic, Thomas Pangle's Laws, Seth Benardete's Symposium, Philebus, Theaetetus, Sophist, and Statesman all come to mind). Usually a translator's introduction tends to serve as a little bit of a general commentary, but otherwise you'd have to look to separate volumes.