[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 190 KB, 418x498, 1636281637738.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20251497 No.20251497 [Reply] [Original]

For as long as I can remember, I've always suffered from checking OCD. Oh I know all of this is just silly agitations, unreasonable angst but it has grown so much over the years that it seems to me that it has vanquished every ounces of will coating my soul, the ''what if'' demon is always crawling back. I'm so sapped of this absurd hell! Sometime they tell me theres medication for this but I don't want a bandage, I want a solution. Some talked about suicide but I'm not a coward, I'm a sick but standing man. I know most of you will read this as a joke and I'll probably get the usual troll answers. It's fair, 4chan is 4chan and I don't expect to be treated differently but if by any chance one of you fathom what I'm going throught, is there any book that would help to cope with my condition, that would help me live in peace with it?

>> No.20251668

>>20251497
There’s quite a few standard self-help books dealing with OCD and anxiety. I don’t know what the most up-to-date ones are, but generally cognitive behavioural therapy focused books are what therapists recommend.

As for medication — it’s helped me a lot. I understand your discomfort with the idea. But if your life is a living hell, don’t be so closed off to it. It can bring a lot of peace with almost no drawbacks. It can help you while you do other, more permanent therapy. It’s good to be sceptical though, don’t just swallow the first thing the doctor throws at you. Be diligent. Ask them about things like long term effects, withdrawal symptoms. Look up the medication online.

It took me quite a few years but I’ve learned to tolerate uncertainty in my belief systems and stuff a lot more, and with my fears and phobias. I even find Pyrrhonism appealing in a way, now, when the thought would have horrified me years ago. It seems like an impossible feat I know. I know really really really intensely how impossible it seems. I still suffer from OCD in many ways though, mainly with things like hand washing and occasionally intrusive thoughts. But in my experience the meds reduce the intensity so much. It stops your mind from being a literal torture chamber