[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.21 MB, 1464x1986, Nietzsche187a.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
20233412 No.20233412 [Reply] [Original]

Which is the better collection of the writings of Nietzsche: The Portable Nietzsche or The Basic Writings of Nietzsche?
The Portable Nietzsche contains the complete texts of Twilight of the Idols, The Antichrist, Nietzsche Contra Wagner, and Thus Spoke Zarathustra. It also contains excerpts from the rest of his works, as well as from his notes and correspondences.
The Basic Writings of Nietzsche contains the complete texts of The Birth of Tragedy, Beyond Good and Evil, On the Genealogy of Morals, The Case of Wagner, and Ecce Homo. It also contains excepts from Human All Too Human, Mixed Opinions and Maxims, The Wanderer and His Shadow, The Dawn, and The Gay Science.
Both are edited and translated by Kaufmann.

>> No.20233420

They complement each other but Basic Writings has the most important texts

>> No.20233555

>>20233420
Yeah, but it's missing his magnum opus, Thus Spoke Zarathustra. Also, even if you get both, you still don't have the complete text of The Gay Science (which is one of my favorite of Nietzsche's books). However, you get the complete texts of both The Case of Wagner and Nietzsche Contra Wagner, which are minor works that I wouldn't even bother including excerpts of. I sort of understand why Kaufmann included them. Nietzsche was heavily associated with Nazism at the time and those two works include critiques of antisemitism. But Nietzsche criticized antisemitism in several of his major works and Kaufmann also included several notes and correspondences in which Nietzsche further denounced antisemitism. It's ultimately unnecessary, especially nowadays when it's common knowledge Nietzsche wasn't a Nazi. I'd much prefer the space be used for more important writings.
I wish someone would publish a new Nietzsche collection that focused on The Birth of Tragedy, The Gay Science, Thus Spoke Zarathustra, Beyond Good and Evil, and On the Genealogy of Morals. Preferably with excerpts from his other major works, such as Twilight of the Idols, The Antichrist, and Ecce Homo.