[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 47 KB, 633x865, heidegger.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19770178 No.19770178 [Reply] [Original]

What is a nonfiction book I can read that will make me seem intelligent but isn't difficult to read? Like Heidegger would make me look smart but it's too hard to read.

>> No.19770184

>>19770178
go away pseud

>> No.19770190

If you just want party fodder read random nonfiction from New York Times notable books lists

>> No.19770815

Heidegger isn't too hard to read, this board just treats philosophy like comfy novels to be read in bed instead of studied. Don't know about anglo translations but in Germany there's even an official index that explains the terminology. Read his lecture from 1924 called "Der Begriff der Zeit" to warm you up.

>> No.19770863

>>19770178
The Trial and Death of Socrates
Tao te Ching
The Analects of Confucius
The Art of War
Letters from a Stoic
The Prince
Common Sense
The Communist Manifesto
Manufacturing Consent

>> No.19771121

>>19770178
Social intelligence is often distinct from the nebulous ideas of 'intelligence', if you lack the former such that you can't fathom how to fake the latter there is no hope for you. Find social capital in other forms

>> No.19771304

>>19771121

"Social intelligence" is just a mix of beauty and similarity in automatic, subconscious processes like personality and mode of thought. Actual sympathy, perhaps the ability to understand a mind that works differently, rests heavily on intelligence intelligence since you need to be able to get think abstractly, and perhaps openness to experience as it allows you to enter altered states of mind. If you're so autistic you cannot even understand what smiling, direct vs. evasive eye contact means and stuff like that then maybe you do lack a near universal to understand others on even a surface level

>> No.19771607

>>19771304
>"Social intelligence" is just a mix of beauty...
Explain yourself!? Joseph Goebbels the propoganda master, Harvey Weinstein, Bill Gates, Elon Musk, LBJ, Richard Nixon, and Caesar and millions of others are you saying that all these guys all had beauty which was the source of their social intelligence? I find that troll lvel
>Actual sympathy, perhaps the ability to understand a mind that works differently, rests heavily on intelligence intelligence
And what is 'actual sympathy' and what distinguishes it from, say, what a child feels? Or is this gonna be a no-true-scotsman game?

>> No.19771628

>>19770178
Anon, for your own sake do not read just to look "intelligent". Find things you like and read them, it doesn't have to be a piece of non-fiction that people see as "intelligent", just a topic you enjoy or find interesting.

>> No.19771701

>>19770815
kek true

>> No.19772157

you're a faggot