[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 18 KB, 300x300, 73D425AB-B053-479F-A286-9CA4189E50F4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19584030 No.19584030 [Reply] [Original]

What polish literature is the best?

>> No.19584041

OP from >>19583795 here’s the sauce
>https://mobile.twitter.com/taftaj1/status/1457755293220278278
She’s a beautiful tranny nonetheless, enjoy ;)!

>> No.19584044

>>19584030
this is a pathetic national self-promotion thread started by a pole (im polish too) but i'll bite:

of the most international renown:
>Stanisław Lem

of some international renown:
>Witkacy (Insatiability)
>Witold Gombrowicz (Ferdydurke)

of absolute local renown:
>Mickiewicz (Pan Tadeusz, Dziady)
>Sienkiewicz (his Trilogy)

the rest are of little relevance to any foreign reader.

>> No.19584046

>>19584044
Any poets?

>> No.19584084

>>19584046
Mickiewicz. he's behind the unofficial Polish national epic (Pan Tadeusz), a monumental piece of poetry. don't know how it translates to English but a few have tried since the 19th century so at least there's some freedom of choice.

other poets are of little relevance to international readers. and why would you seek out foreign poetry specifically?

Szymborska won the Nobel for her poetry in 1996 but I dislike her poetry personally.
the better poets are Zbigniew Herbert, Czesław Miłosz.
other classic poets besides Mickiewicz: Norwid (fairly far-out for a 19th century continental European poet), Juliusz Słowacki (kind of a meme).
Jan Kochanowski was the first Slavic poet to write in his own language to achieve some contemporary fame abroad.

also forgot to mention Tokarczuk, she won the Nobel for her prose in 2018 and she also has some detractors at home but she's fairly deft in prose and magical realism.

Overall Poland could never develop enough of a literary scene due to at first the relative anti-intellectualism of the Szlachta (nobility) who prefered to occupy themselves with hunting, eating and joie de vivre; and lack of a strong unrelated "free" urbanite population (urbanization in Poland was lower than in Western Europe). and later because of foreign empires that were aimed at curbing Polish culture (germanization, russification). later there was WW2 in which a metric fuckton of cultural heritage was destroyed because the nazis followed a self-fulfilling prophecy where Poles both had no rich culture, and also had to destroy any signs of Polish culture to prove that thesis.

so anything I mentioned ITT developed in spite of these issues.

>> No.19584093

czeslaw milosz

>> No.19584117

>>19584030
A little puff of pussy dust in the morning from my collection of college coed dorm laundromat lost & found panties and I'm basically coasting on a cloud of ambient arousal for the day. Such is what this girl reminds me of.

>> No.19584262

>>19584030
anything with rape is a good book

>> No.19584266

>>19584084
Thank you for the informative post. Would you recommend I read the poems in Russian or English translation? Or does it not really matter

>> No.19584278

Does Joseph Conrad count?

>> No.19584328

>>19584266
are you Russian?

I read Russian lit in Polish, but I suggest you just check out/pirate various versions and see which is best, there was an obvious demand for translation of Russian literature in a nation under control of the Russian Empire but I doubt the reverse was true so paradoxically the English translations might be better (though still mostly shit).

>> No.19584350

>>19584266
also another cool Polish poet is Agnieszka Osiecka, she's comfy
here's a cool electropop rendition of it :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4GihWYZ0FHU

>> No.19584416

>>19584084
>in which a metric fuckton of cultural heritage was destroyed because the nazis followed a self-fulfilling prophecy where Poles both had no rich culture, and also had to destroy any signs of Polish culture to prove that thesis.
That’s a NATO lie. People irl aren’t this comically evil. Destroying towns that are about to fall into enemy’s hand was a common strategy or as a mean to fight off insurections in the city where you can’t distinguish civilians from soldiers.You don’t really have the time to save books during war.
This is really pathetic when someone well-read regurgitates lies from people that truly hate them

>> No.19584474
File: 347 KB, 481x680, t26caafgq8t71.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19584416
>That’s a NATO lie. People irl aren’t this comically evil.
https://www.reddit.com/r/europe/comments/q7ebv9/77_years_ago_on_october_13_1944_the_nazi_german/
>77 years ago, on October 13, 1944, the Nazi German army barbarously burnt the collections of the Polish National Library in Warsaw. Over 80,000 prints from the 15th-18th centuries, over 26,000 manuscripts.
inb4 reddit

>Words of a prominent prewar Polish philospher Władysław Tatarkiewicz:

>When the German army occupied the district where I lived, we were ordered to leave the house immediately and it was burnt down with all the equipment, collections, the library, the workshop for scientific work. And before and after it other houses were burning, one after another. On my way out I managed to take only some underwear and the manuscript of my scientific work, for which I had worked during the entire war, into my suitcase. On the way, when we were driven from the burning house to the camp, the soldiers took the underwear from the suitcase - only the manuscript remained. Then a German officer came up, opened the suitcase and found a manuscript.

>"What is it? Scientific work?" - he said - "there is no more Polish culture" - "es gibt keine polnische Kultur mehr"

>And he threw the manuscript into the gutter. These words contained the whole attitude of Germans towards us, especially in this "there is no more". - because it was, but for 5 years they made it not to be. Their action wanted not only to destroy Polish culture, but to erase even its traces. It was done with premeditation. It was the execution of Hitler's personal order. But this order was obeyed by everyone, by civil authorities as well as by private people, scholars and artists. The whole German people took part in this plunder and destruction, and they are all responsible for it.
Please, first get the fuck out back to /pol/ whence you came, and then proceed to kill yourself.

>> No.19584478

>>19584416
Actually, yeah, they wanted to root out Polish culture in toto.

>> No.19584500

>>19584474
to add:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligenzaktion
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Katyn_massacre

>> No.19584610

>>19584500
>https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intelligenzaktion
Debunk please

>> No.19584626

>>19584041
Yuck. Im glad I stopped jacking it before my tastes got so depraved

>> No.19585665

>>19584474
as i wrote, during a war nobody cares about books of the enemy, they destroyed that building as a one of many
>On the way, when we were driven from the burning house to the camp
words from a trusted source
>>19584610
There is no debunking. WW2 was also an ideological war. What they didn’t tell you in that article is that these people were communist sowers of discord. Without such people Poland would have been treated nicely, like french.