[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 68 KB, 640x751, cain-and-abel-8.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19571067 No.19571067 [Reply] [Original]

"The agricultural peoples, just because they are sedentary, are naturally those who arrive sooner or later at the building of towns; indeed, it is said that the first town was founded by Cain himself; moreover its foundation did not take place till well after the time during which he is said to have been occupied in agriculture, which shows clearly that there are as it were two successive phases in ‘sedentarism’, the second representing a relatively more pronounced degree of fixity and spatial ‘constriction’ than the first. It could be said in a general way that the works of sedentary peoples are works of time: these peoples are fixed in space within a strictly limited domain, and develop their activities in a temporal continuity that appears to them to be indefinite. On the other hand, nomadic and pastoral peoples build nothing durable, and do not work for a future that escapes them; but they have space before them, not facing them with any limitation, but on the contrary always offering them new possibilities. In this way is revealed the correspondence of the cosmic principles to which, in another order, the symbolism of Cain and Abel is related: the principle of compression, represented by time, and the principle of expansion, represented by space.[79] In actual fact, both these two principles are manifested simultaneously in time and in space, as in everything else; it is necessary to point this out in order to avoid unduly ‘simplified’ identifications or assimilations, as well as to resolve occasional apparent oppositions; but it is no less certain that the action of the principle of compression predominates in the temporal condition, and of expansion in the spatial condition. Moreover, time uses up space, if it may be put so; and correspondingly in the course of the ages the sedentary peoples gradually absorb the nomads; this gives, as indicated above, a social and historical significance to the murder of Abel by Cain."

>> No.19571121

tl;dr vegans are sinners

>> No.19571129

>>19571067
Yeah, we know, God hates farmers. We read East of Eden.

>> No.19571138

>>19571067
Yeah i like how the garden of eden ties up w them. I don't get the point of farming is treated worse than hunter-gatherer. I'm sure it was more boring and the first farmers had less nutrition than hunter gatherers but I would think it would be a good narrative

>> No.19571247

>>19571138
i think its portrayed that way because the sacrifice of animal was seen more worthy than whatever the farmer harvested, more hard to get thus more valuable; and idk for sure, but it might be that the jews were not sedentary, they moved a lot before they decided Israel should be their land, so probably they saw agricultural nations with disdain idk

>> No.19571276

>>19571129
>>19571138
>>19571247
It's not farming per se thats the worst thing, but one of the consequences of an agricultural society, and consequently "technology." It changes your perception of time and space. It creates civilization, and insatiable desire that leaves lives meaningless. It has nothing to do with being a Luddite, but you must realize that in a civilization you lose your sense of yourself. You are a cog in machine.

There's more where that came from but read the excerpt.

>> No.19571312

>>19571276
So go live in the woods Ted, no one cares.

>> No.19571781

>>19571312
Wow you refuted me dude.

>> No.19572075

>>19571276
not sure if thats the way the original story was meant to be interpreted although it is kinda valid in our times;
for me, the jews always had a sense of unity in their rejection of others, because of all the ordeals they went through; so the story, i would say, reflects the "damage" done by different tribes trying to kill and enslave them; their religion is their only powerful way to unite them under one god standing above all the others, and the only way to keep the religion is by traditions that must not ever be changed or desacralized for ex: the food of the earth, instead of hunt, which, im sure, has a lot more meaning in judaism than the bread of the later christians; idk

>> No.19572106

peanut brain: "The agricultural peoples, just because they are sedentary, are naturally those who arrive sooner or later at the building of towns; indeed, it is said that the first town was founded by Cain himself; moreover its foundation did not take place till well after the time during which he is said to have been occupied in agriculture, which shows clearly that there are as it were two successive phases in ‘sedentarism’, the second representing a relatively more pronounced degree of fixity and spatial ‘constriction’ than the first. It could be said in a general way that the works of sedentary peoples are works of time: these peoples are fixed in space within a strictly limited domain, and develop their activities in a temporal continuity that appears to them to be indefinite. On the other hand, nomadic and pastoral peoples build nothing durable, and do not work for a future that escapes them; but they have space before them, not facing them with any limitation, but on the contrary always offering them new possibilities. In this way is revealed the correspondence of the cosmic principles to which, in another order, the symbolism of Cain and Abel is related: the principle of compression, represented by time, and the principle of expansion, represented by space.[79] In actual fact, both these two principles are manifested simultaneously in time and in space, as in everything else; it is necessary to point this out in order to avoid unduly ‘simplified’ identifications or assimilations, as well as to resolve occasional apparent oppositions; but it is no less certain that the action of the principle of compression predominates in the temporal condition, and of expansion in the spatial condition. Moreover, time uses up space, if it may be put so; and correspondingly in the course of the ages the sedentary peoples gradually absorb the nomads; this gives, as indicated above, a social and historical significance to the murder of Abel by Cain."

GALAXY BRAIN: The Marxist idea that something only is inasmuch as it is literally sacrificed on the altar of the actual, a radical Demiurgic INTER-, is subjected to a radical INTRA- wherein Cain not so much removes the sacrificial object from the field of the altar but folds the latter with the former still inside of it in on itself which dispels their mutual non-being - the Old Testament is Ontologically identical to nightmares of the "primordial" - and individuates the parties proper: per radical INTRA-, which radical INTER- perfidiously claims to contain but would rather tear itself in half when facing it, the field implodes and the objects explode, the former itself being "objectified", the face of Yaldabaoth is visible now that one is no longer inside his stomach.

>> No.19572111

>>19571276
>It creates civilization, and insatiable desire that leaves lives meaningless
Seeing that we;re still a civilazation 8000 years later I;m not so sure about your statement

>> No.19572145

>>19572075
The original story is one of, what like 4 origin myths that are all clearly heavily expurgated and redacted. Jewish exegesis on this is far more interesting than all this cleanroom the frogman drivel.

>> No.19572150

>>19571067
Where is this excerpt from?

>> No.19572157
File: 92 KB, 1024x639, Sancta Protectrix.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19571067

Hyperintellectualoid drivel; the dichotomy between the farmer, and the hunter, is on ethicomoral grounds.

Anyway, vegans are the only persons deserving to hold the world in their arms, and under their wings.

>> No.19572172

>>19572157
>... is [based] on ethicomoral grounds.

>> No.19572194

>>19572145
sure its more interesting
not sure if you mean that my explanation is the cleanroom "drivel" but to make it clear, nah, its actually just from a series of lectures on the ancient testament by some dame, not sure who, its on youtube, pretty popular lectures too, and pretty good for basics i would say

>> No.19572210

>>19572111
More production demands more consumption. Learn economics.

>> No.19572241

>>19572150
guénon
https://sufipathoflove.com/time-and-space-in-the-symbolism-of-abel-and-cain/

>> No.19572274

>>19572241
Thanks.