[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 67 KB, 512x628, IMG_2478.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19496010 No.19496010 [Reply] [Original]

Horror novels suck, the fact that so many people enjoy these "books" really goes to show how brainless most people are.
Books like "Dracula" are laughably trite, just silly stories for overgrown children. The goal of a horror novel is only to be "scary" and nothing else, if they are not "scary" (which they never are) then they have failed. Whenever someone tries to convince me of a certain horror novel's quality, I read it and laugh hysterically and make jokes throughout, books like the exorcist that are supposed to be scary, make me laugh more than any comedy ever could, its all just so ridiculous to me!! How anyone could take any of this seriously is beyond me.

Don't get me started on gory trash like the nonsense Steven King writes. I've never read any of them and I simply refuse to, they are just sick amusement for the mentally depraved and offer no storylines or characters, just an assembly line of butchery for the sick minded to enjoy.

If you want TRUE horror, I would turn to the world of real literature. The most terrifying tales ever conceived can be found in the works of one H.P Lovecraft. He is a lesser known writer, when compared to the likes of Poe or King, but his stories are truly nightmarish. He writes of elder gods who secretly control the human race from strange worlds and he touches on loftier themes like humanity's place in the universe as well as madness. Lovecraft rejects silly notions of religion and supplants them with true literary might. He has created a vast pantheon of horrifying gods and monsters that intertwine and cross over in his stories, think of it like the MCU, but for horror (trust me, it's so cool).

To me, lovecraftian horror is the ONLY TRUE horror, everything else is a mere bedtime story fit only for children. If you want to know where to start with his works, I recommend heading over to the r/lovecraft subreddit where they have extensive philosophical discussions.

If I'm having horror, make mine lovecraftian.

>> No.19496028

>>19496010
Kek

>> No.19496034

>>19496010
Not even sure which subculture this is parodying

>> No.19496098

>>19496010
>"Dracula" are laughably trite
Stopped reading there, cope

>> No.19496165

>>19496010
>reddit spacing
>anglo incel that is scared of tentacles and responsibility as good horror creator
You probably haven’t read this weak jawed manlet.

>> No.19496173
File: 7 KB, 205x246, download (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19496165
You will never be an Anglo

>> No.19496211

Who is this supposed to be parodying considering Lovecraft praises and was influenced by horror and fantasy writers? I don’t even think his stories are meant to frighten the reader, judging by his description of the pleasure of reading horror it seems more like ghoulish relish of the morbid and bleak. The genre is called “horror” after all, not “scary”.

>> No.19497120

The only thing horrifying here is that incels underbite.