[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 514 KB, 1280x1040, Heidelberg_Universitätsbibliothek_2003.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19288029 No.19288029 [Reply] [Original]

What are the current trends, hot topics or rising methodologies (including recent discussed releases or authos) in historiography and cultural sciences in your country?

I am especially interested in anglophone experiences, but thought it would be interesting to have an exchange between different countries. Obviously different countries with their respective academinc systems have different priorities, perspectives and objectives.

From my perspective onto the situation in Germany: For historical approaches to the early modern ages the concept of ambiguity and a higher social acceptance of it (Hillard von Thiessen). Because of the fairly recent translation the Rothbergs idea of multidirectional memory - but not being discussed broadly (yet?) in cultural sciences as far as I see.
The overarching trend is towards contemporary history, but the cultural sciences do try to get more attention towards pre-modern phenomena.
Somehow cultural identities, with a focus on mobility and construction in different mediums, are still discussed often, even though it can barely count as a recent hot-topic.

>> No.19288105
File: 14 KB, 300x250, no.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>everything is plurality everything is ambiguity identities aren't stable identities don't exist everything is blending mixing is good there are no centers of gravity or stability in humanity only mixed blended infinite shading gradations of ambiguity and blending

>> No.19288168

>>19288105
I see where you are going and expected this reaction.
I think the choice of objects you research and perspectives you choose have some influence on your potential results. But if you do actual work with a good research ethic, you still can come to very different conclusions which don't have to be normative in the way you paraphrased it. And surprisingly many good scholars do this kind of work. I think the judging and normative breaking down to daily usage happens with undergrad or grad students, which is not representative of the scientific community at all.

>> No.19288178
File: 87 KB, 566x843, book.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19288029
People are reading it

>> No.19288183

>>19288178
Dead meme

>> No.19288276

>>19288178
>>19288183

I still like it keep it up based poster

>> No.19288654