[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 2.21 MB, 2722x2722, GettyImages-181962584-5989358656494870bcfcfc092c011e76.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19226091 No.19226091 [Reply] [Original]

Why did he make the modernists seethe?

>> No.19226239

>>19226091
bump, since this is the first I heard this

>> No.19226281

>>19226091
Because his English had a Latin influence and wasn't le pure anglo Saxon nigger syntax.

>> No.19226287

>>19226239
This is a commonly used shitpost phrase. Don’t encourage them. Tomorrow it will be “What was his problem!?”

>> No.19226738

>>19226091
Because he was a good poet, that made a good poem, that became so influential that everyone tried copying him for 200 years and he basically ruined poetry until the modernists came in and finally broke the pentameter.

>> No.19227154

>>19226738
>Milton popularized iambic pentameter

>> No.19227171

If I had to be guess it’s because he was actually good and left a tradition for poets to inherit, unlike the modernists.

>> No.19227192

>>19226091
he was too erudite

>> No.19227231

>>19226091
>Him who disobeys me disobeys
Retards still defend this.

>> No.19227243

>>19226091
Which modernists did he make "seethe"? I thought everyone wrote in pentameter, not just him.

>> No.19227250

He didn't make them seethe so much as they were sick and tired of reading poems written in iambic pentameter

>> No.19227288

>>19227250
What's wrong with iambic pentameter? What did they start writing in instead? Free verse? There's a reason people still read Milton and not modernist poets

>> No.19227291
File: 546 KB, 1536x2048, FBm3cDZWEAUE4q4.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>In his classic study, The Dialectics of Creation, Michael Lieb foregrounds the myriad ways in which Milton uses scatology throughout Paradise Lost to describe the depravity of the devil. But Satan is not the only character in the epic to be associated with excretion. Milton's angels and Milton's God are also implicated in the operations of the lower bodily stratum. In these instances, however, allusions to the evacuative functions attest to an exalted divinity rather than a disgusting diabolism. Evacuation in Paradise Lost is thus a highly complex signifier. Not simply a pejorative pointing inevitably at a damnable degradation, scatology can also signal a sublime goodness.

What did Milton mean by this?

>> No.19227296

>>19227291
>signifier
lmao

>> No.19227301

>>19227243
Eliot, Pound, and so on

>> No.19227302

>>19227171
Some modernists were good too, although you're partially correct in that they basically ended English poetry.

>>19227250
See>>19227154

>>19227288
Plenty of people still read modernist poets.

>> No.19227314

>>19227301
What meter did Pound and Elliot write in?

>> No.19227319

>>19227314
They mostly wrote without a fixed meter.

>> No.19227320

>>19227302
Obviously he didn't invent iambic pentameter, but you can't say that subsequent poets, especially the Romantics and Victorians, weren't aping Milton most of the time.

>> No.19227331

>>19227314
whatever meter they felt like. Sometimes they would change meter in the middle of the poem like in "Prufrock".

>> No.19227341

>>19227320
Yes I can. Iambic pentameter was already established as the most common English meter before Milton wrote Paradise Lost. Maybe you could say he popularized blank verse outside theater.

>> No.19227345

Would it be too passé these days to write (epic) poems in iambic pentameter? Is there room for a revival movement?

>> No.19227349

>>19227291
Lieb had way too much time on his hands.

>> No.19227358

>>19227345
if you did, the literary industry would call you a trad nazi incel

>> No.19227359

>>19227345
>Would it be too passé these days to write (epic) poems in iambic pentameter? Is there room for a revival movement?
There's no chance that iambic pentameter (or any fixed form for that matter) will ever again be as popular as it once was, but there are still poets who write blank verse, sonnets, and so on. Maybe not heroic couplets though, those just sound cheesy nowadays.

>> No.19227381

>>19227358
Let them

>> No.19227416

Don't listen to what artists think about other artists. That goes double for contrarians like Eliot and Pound.

>> No.19227596

>>19227320
They werent. Iambic pentameter had been the most common meter of english poetry hundreds of years by the time milton composed paradise lost.

>> No.19227925

>>19227596
>>19227341
>>19227154
Idiots, no one said Milton was the person to popularize iambic verse. Milton did blank verse extremely poorly. Even Samuel Johnson talked about how bad his blank verse was. The rigidity and syntax of Miltons poetry carried itself for another two hundred years. The "break the pentameter" is a reference to the Cantos.

>>19227288
>there's a reason people still read Milton and not modernist poets
Are you fucking retarded?8

>> No.19227935

>>19227925
>Even Samuel Johnson talked about how bad his blank verse was.
See >>19227416

>> No.19227936

>>19227416
I've always seen people say "Eliot and Pound were just contrarians and the sucked :(((" but I have never seen anyone actually rebuff they're assaults against Milton. Its not like they hated all forms of strict iambic pentametre, or stanzas and whatnot, there really isn't an argument about them being contrarians other than you like Milton.

>> No.19227942

>>19227935
>NOOOOOO you cant read literary criticisms nooooo
Get off the board.

>> No.19227997

>>19227925
>Samuel Johnson
this nigga is just like that mr. school of resentment chud. talks mad shit about writers yet only produces literary shit

>> No.19228002

>>19227997
heckin corncobbing that chuderino Harold Bloom

>> No.19228013

>>19227997
Well Harold Bloom was a fucking retard with nothing substantial to offer, I agree with you. Samuel Johnson was one of the best literary critiques in the English Language and offered a lot of praise and worthwhile critiques that helped advance literature.

>> No.19228016

>>19227925
Samuel Johnson (and Eliot) hated Milton because he was a radical Puritan republican. Johnson had a tin ear and called Lycidas, the most beautiful poem in the English language "harsh" in its diction. He was a fucking idiot.

>> No.19228027

>>19226091
>Blind poet
>Reciting an epic poem about an antihero
>epic wanker
Gee I wonder
Don't any of you people read at all?

>> No.19228029

>>19227997
>chud
How can a Jewish man be a chud? You mad someone from the "oppressed" minority is talking against the rabid libshits in academia?

>> No.19228074

>>19227936
There's nothing to rebuff. They just disliked Milton's politics. That Milton's Latinate language is a criticism is absurd, does anyone criticise Chaucer for his Frenchisms? And as for Milton's metre, yes it is regular, but he is the poet in the English language who is freest with enjambment and most inventive with placing the caesura and using elision, which frees the metre in other ways.

>> No.19228179

>>19228016
>the most beautiful poem in the English language
HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

>> No.19228199

>>19228074
>That Milton's Latinate language is a criticism is absurd, does anyone criticise Chaucer for his Frenchisms?
Eliot said that Milton wrote English like it was Latin, which is not only a fair criticism of the poetry but also just entirely true.
>And as for Milton's metre, yes it is regular, but he is the poet in the English language who is freest with enjambment and most inventive with placing the caesura and using elision, which frees the metre in other ways.
This is a joke right. Other poets do it better and don't have to resort to a butchered and inverted word order, and their works don't sound like ass when read aloud. Melville and Shakespeare both do it better. It doesn't free the metre in anyway lmao, what does that even mean. Fuck even Pope could use vowels better than Milton.

>> No.19228265
File: 245 KB, 685x822, 6556165156566456.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19226091
>>19227925
>>19227997
>>19228016
>>19228199
All of this is pure cope. Milton completes the immortal trifecta of true english prosody. Him, Shakespear, and Spencer occupy halls of verse that all artists, writers, and poets must either look upon in seethe to or let wash them over completely and admit there are no others of compare.

>> No.19228326

>>19228199
>Eliot said that Milton wrote English like it was Latin, which is not only a fair criticism of the poetry but also just entirely true.
And it's a huge asset to Milton's poetry. It would have been impossible for him to have written as grand a poem as Paradise Lost without a Latinate influence. That Eliot thinks it's a criticism is nonsensical, it's what makes him a great poet.
>Other poets do it better and don't have to resort to a butchered and inverted word order, and their works don't sound like ass when read aloud.
Lmao. One of the most beautiful poets in the English language "sounds like ass" and has a "butchered" word order. Ok.
>Other poets do it better.
Nope, Milton just about is the most enjambed poet in English, 60% of the lines in Paradise Lost. This isn't comparable to a dramatic poet like Shakespeare (although he approaches Milton's use of it in his late plays). And yes he varies the caesura to take advantage of of the level of enjambment at a unique level.
> It doesn't free the metre in anyway
It breaks up the monotony of blank verse. Read a totally end-stopped poem and then a freely enjambed one and come back to me. Elision too stretches the regularity of the metre by running over extra syllables that still conform to it.
> Fuck even Pope could use vowels better than Milton.
Do you even know what we're talking about?

I recommend Robert Bridges book Milton's Prosody. It's very enlightening.

>> No.19228336

>>19228265
Spenser is dogshit and no one cares about the Faerie Queene. Everything about Miltons poetry is alien to the English Language and a complete debasement of what makes it good, and even ignoring MIltons bad verse other problems emerge in Paradise Lost that make it an incredibly dull and cumbersome read:
>all the characters bar Satan are cardboard cutouts
>Satan is a whiny child that talks the way Hamlet does while Hamlet is feigning madness
>The poem is terrible at descriptions of specifics, either locations or scenery
Everything about the poem has been done by better people individually. Iliad and Aeneid have better battles, Dante has better philosophical musings and is more grand theologically, Shakespeare has better characters and better blank verse. Fuck even Jerusalem Delivered is better than Paradise Lost

>> No.19228365

>>19228326
Its an asset specific to why Paradise Lost is a completely alien read, yes. I don't think you can call it either good or bad (Eliot and Pound only said that he borrowed too heavily from other languages and failed to make it properly English), which is again true. He borrows heavily from the Italians with his idioms, among others.
>Lmao. One of the most beautiful poets in the English language "sounds like ass" and has a "butchered" word order. Ok.
Yes? The musicality of Paradise Lost is absent. And he had to use inverted word order frequently, to the point that Eliot said this:
>Of him at last, may be said what Jonson said of Spenser, that he wrote no language, but has formed what Butler called a Babylonish dialect, in itself harsh and barbarous, but made by exalted genius and extensive learning the vehicle of so Much instruction and so much pleasure, that, like other lovers, we find grace in its deformity.
>Read a totally end-stopped poem and then a freely enjambed one and come back to me. Elision too stretches the regularity of the metre by running over extra syllables that still conform to it.
I don't like blank verse in the first place, and there are better examples of it out there. Even ignoring Miltons enjambment (which is hardly a sign of great poetry and I'm really not sure why you brought that up as a case for Miltons genius?), and keeping it entirely English, Paradise Lost is probably the best epic, but it really does pale in comparison to the ones from other languages lol.
>Do you even know what we're talking about?
This was an aside, I just finished reading Pope's Iliad and while not blank verse, his iambic verse has an extremely good musical quality about it, specifically with vowels.

>> No.19228400

>>19228326
>>19228336
>>19228365
>yes we college dropout anons with a penchant for watching youtube videos of literature sure can critique people who spent their entire lives writing poetry!!!
You're all idiots.

>> No.19228410

>>19228400
lmaooooooooooo

>> No.19228425

>>19228365
>(Eliot and Pound only said that he borrowed too heavily from other languages and failed to make it properly English)
Which is 1) silly, it's perfectly readable to English speakers no less than Shakespeare is, and 2) absurd, as if borrowing from the toolkit of foreign languages is supposed to be a negative. It is in fact what imbues Milton's poetry with its elegance, beauty and power.
>Yes? The musicality of Paradise Lost is absent
Sorry, I don't think you've read the poem if you can say this.

As Bees
In spring time, when the Sun with Taurus rides,
Poure forth thir populous youth about the Hive
In clusters; they among fresh dews and flowers
Flie to and fro, or on the smoothed Plank,
The suburb of thir Straw-built Cittadel,
New rub’d with Baume, expatiate and confer
Thir State affairs. So thick the aerie crowd
Swarm’d and were straitn’d; till the Signal giv’n,
Behold a wonder! they but now who seemd
In bigness to surpass Earths Giant Sons
Now less then smallest Dwarfs, in narrow room
Throng numberless, like that Pigmean Race
Beyond the INDIAN Mount, or Faerie Elves,
Whose midnight Revels, by a Forrest side
Or Fountain fome belated Peasant sees,
Or dreams he sees, while over head the Moon
Sits Arbitress, and neerer to the Earth
Wheels her pale course, they on thir mirth & dance
Intent, with jocond Music charm his ear;

Just one example from the end of Book I. PL is one of the most musical poems ever written.

>I don't like blank verse in the first place
As personal taste that's fine, but not a reason to judge the greatest poets in English (Shakespeare, Milton, Wordsworth) who frequently wrote in it.
>which is hardly a sign of great poetry
It means the poet is thinking not of the line but of the thought, in long stretches, which is incredibly difficult to do and keep coherent - especially in a regular metre.
>This was an aside, I just finished reading Pope's Iliad and while not blank verse, his iambic verse has an extremely good musical quality about it, specifically with vowels.
I also like Pope's Iliad, and yes Pope deploys heroic couplets well there. But if anything his metre is no less regular and almost as artificial as Milton's, so it's a strange comparison if that's what you're criticising.

Anon, I think you should read Milton for yourself rather than parroting the opinion of someone else.

>> No.19228444

>>19228336
ohh i get it, you're a fucking mutt retard.

>> No.19228508

Samson complaining of his blindness in Samson Agonistes:

O loss of sight, of thee I most complain!
Blind among enemies, O worse then chains,
Dungeon, or beggery, or decrepit age!
Light the prime work of God to me is extinct,
And all her various objects of delight
Annull'd, which might in part my grief have eas'd,
Inferiour to the vilest now become
Of man or worm; the vilest here excel me,
They creep, yet see, I dark in light expos'd
To daily fraud, contempt, abuse and wrong,
Within doors, or without, still as a fool,
In power of others, never in my own;
Scarce half I seem to live, dead more then half.
O dark, dark, dark, amid the blaze of noon,
Irrecoverably dark, total Eclipse
Without all hope of day!
O first created Beam, and thou great Word,
Let there be light, and light was over all;
Why am I thus bereav'd thy prime decree?
The Sun to me is dark
And silent as the Moon,
When she deserts the night
Hid in her vacant interlunar cave.
Since light so necessary is to life,
And almost life itself, if it be true
That light is in the Soul,
She all in every part; why was the sight
To such a tender ball as th' eye confin'd?
So obvious and so easie to be quench't,
And not as feeling through all parts diffus'd,
That she might look at will through every pore?
Then had I not been thus exil'd from light;
As in the land of darkness yet in light,
To live a life half dead, a living death,
And buried; but O yet more miserable!
My self, my Sepulcher, a moving Grave,
Buried, yet not exempt
By priviledge of death and burial
From worst of other evils, pains and wrongs,
But made hereby obnoxious more
To all the miseries of life,
Life in captivity
Among inhuman foes.

>> No.19228552

>>19227925
>Are you fucking retarded?8
People don't read Pound these days, he's a fascist apologist the affinity to whom will get you cancelled
People read Milton, he's an epochal figure in English poetry

>> No.19228556

>>19228016
>Samuel Johnson (and Eliot) hated Milton because he was a radical Puritan republican
That's awesome
Catholic or crypto-Catholic poets are a dime a dozen

>> No.19228605
File: 3.28 MB, 4032x3024, paradise lost.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19228425
> as if borrowing from the toolkit of foreign languages is supposed to be a negative
They didn't say it was a negative outright, but his usage of it makes the English alien and foreign. It doesn't elevate the best qualities of the English language.
>Sorry, I don't think you've read the poem if you can say this.
Paradise Lost is the first piece of literature I remember reading, at about 13. It introduced me to atheism and poetry, and a bunch of other shit. It was the first recommendation my brother gave me after I started reading Malazan Book of the Fallen and realized I hated fantasy, but wanted Gods and monsters and shit. In either case this is an extremely standout passage, I can post a lot of stuff where its completely flat (i.e, everything past book 6).
>As personal taste that's fine, but not a reason to judge the greatest poets in English (Shakespeare, Milton, Wordsworth) who frequently wrote in it.
Yeah but I like the other two poets you mentioned a lot.
>It means the poet is thinking not of the line but of the thought, in long stretches, which is incredibly difficult to do and keep coherent - especially in a regular metre.
I'm sure that is a sign of great blank verse, but I never enjoyed how long the stretches of verse last in PL. In the Iliad there are breaks frequently enough that you can pick up the multiple threads that Homer weaves, and you don't get force fed line after line.
>but if anything his metre is no less regular and almost as artificial as Milton's
Yes, its probably the most artificial metre in the English language, but Pope still excels at alteration and vowels, but I don't really know where I was going with that.

And pic related, I have read Paradise Lost and most of Miltons stuff (even Comus and whatnot) growing up, I just cant stand it now. There are just so many other better epic poems, and so many other better pieces of poetry worth devoting time to.

>> No.19228611

>>19228605
For some reason, my computer inverted the picture and I promise I took it like a normal person facing the camera and not upside down.

>> No.19228625

>>19228552
Bro in my lit classes and poetry classes, we extensively talked about Pound (Metro and other poems especially) and he was really well liked even among my super liberal friends. The only critiques I ever heard--besides people glossing over the fact that he was a fascist--was that him and Eliot were elitist.

>> No.19228632

>>19228425
>>19228605
Also sorry anon, but I have to pack for a vacation and this thread will be deleted by the time I get back. You seem very intelligent and it was nice having a reasonable conversation with you, you were--dare I say?--a based anon. Here's some shit you can read from Eliot and Pound about Milton:
https://pages.mtu.edu/~rlstrick/rsvtxt/eliot.htm

https://reconstructionarytales.blog/2018/03/10/the-digestion-of-milton/
(you'll have to use the sources to find the articles and search them on Jstor)

>> No.19228650

>>19228605
>"he's a bad author because I just don't like him"
10/10 criticism

>> No.19228730

>>19228605
>>19228632
No prob.

Eliot and Pound in their criticism of Milton were heavily biased, both politically and aesthetically. Not only did they want to be deliberately iconoclastic against the literary establishment and wanted to take down a "sacred cow", but their major motivation in attacking Milton was to use him as a cipher for the conventional 19th century verse that was extremely regular and in an artificial diction (people using Thous and Thees in the 1910s). On Milton himself their criticisms are strained and don't really make any sense, at best the ideas like "he didn't write English" are dumb and don't really grapple with Milton's genius.

Past book 6 there's still tons of great poetry. Like this in book 9 I picked out at random:

To whom th’ incestuous Mother thus repli’d.
Thou therefore on these Herbs, and Fruits, & Flours
Feed first, on each Beast next, and Fish, and Fowle,
No homely morsels, and whatever thing
The Sithe of Time mowes down, devour unspar’d,
Till I in Man residing through the Race,
His thoughts, his looks, words, actions all infect,
And season him thy last and sweetest prey.

Book 10 is pretty meh as it's just a recounting post-fall to redemption to give the work a happy ending, but it's a minor part of the work.

Anyway apart from Paradise Lost Comus is a great work too yeah, Samson Agonistes, Lycidas (which I think is the greatest poem in the English language), his shorter poems, plus Milton is one of the finest writers of sonnets in English, they're all fantastic.

>> No.19228774

>>19228625
Oh that's cool actually
whereabouts did you go to school, if you don't mind me asking

>> No.19228799

>>19228552
>People don't read Pound these days, he's a fascist apologist the affinity to whom will get you cancelled
Not true. We read him in my mediocre public school.

>> No.19228809

>>19228605
>There are just so many other better epic poems, and so many other better pieces of poetry worth devoting time to.

What epics? Other than the standard one Iliad, Inferno, etc.

>> No.19228822

>>19228809
Orlando Furioso, and Jerusalem Delivered are both poems Milton took inspiration from.

>> No.19228830

>>19228774
I went to WVU and later CU Boulder, which admittedly the former might have been more conservative than most schools. My best friend growing up is a liberal hippie communist christian, and she loves Pound lol.

>> No.19228843

>>19228822
Will take a look, thanks.

>> No.19229154

>>19228336
>Spenser is dogshit and no one cares about the Faerie Queene
Tell that to Milton and the romantics

>> No.19229169

>>19228822
Are they worth learning Italian for? There aren't many translations and the ones available are... well, a thing I guess.

>> No.19229213

>>19228830
>liberal hippie
>communist
pick one

>> No.19229343

>>19229169
Barbara Reynolds for Orlando Furioso, and Esolen for Jerusalem Delivered, assuming you want an English translation. Both are pretty great desu. You can get them on Amazon easily.

>> No.19229349

>>19229154
Yeah but... no one actually cares about what Milton and the romantics think anymore do they? Paradise Lost is not commonly read in academia anymore from my experience. The Christian narrative and subject matter are things people don't care about much. The only reason Dante gets a pass is because Inferno.

>> No.19229353

>>19226287
what is YOUR problem butters if you don't like this place you should leave, we have told you many times to gtfo, at this point your only staying here because of some perverted lesbian masochism

>> No.19229358

>>19229154
Paradise Lost and Faerie Queene are the most boring epics ik the English language, change my mind.

>> No.19229361

>>19229154
Paradise Lost and Faerie Queene are the most boring epics in the English language, change my mind.

>> No.19229409

>>19229349
>Paradise Lost is not commonly read in academia anymore from my experience.
It's required reading in most English programmes.

>> No.19229446

>>19228508
>O loss of sight, of thee I most complain!
This is one of the most embarrassing lines of poetry I've ever read.

>> No.19229448

>>19229409
I never had to do it. My brother went to grad school at an ivy league and didn't need it for undergrad or grad stuff. It wasn't even required reading for HS for anyone I knew. I really don't think it's that commonly read anymore desu

>> No.19229451

>>19228336
What other poet has talked about paradise being lost so well?

>inb4 Dante
That's a different theological matter.

>> No.19229461

>>19228508
It's so stilted, is so awkward. Why can't he write dialogue like a normal person?

>> No.19229475

>>19229451
Do you mean the literal loss of paradise, or the thematic lose of innocence?

>> No.19229483

>>19229409
>he think European classics are being read by English departments in 2021
Lmao

>> No.19229495

>>19229349
who gives a shit about "people"s opinions? You might as well not read and watch netflix shows instead
>>19229358
There aren't any other notable epics in the English language. Maybe English just isn't for you

>> No.19229500

>>19229483
I took a class on 17th century English literature at my university a few years ago, I'm pretty sure they're still read.

>> No.19229521

>>19229448
In Am*rica, maybe.

>> No.19229555

>>19229495
The Cantos is in English. I liked Idylls of the king. Clarel is a masterpiece. Other long narrative poems too. Most of the other poetry I like is English. But I mean most other languages mog English for epics, it's really not even close.

>> No.19229980

>>19226738
He literally mentioned in his book that he will write a poetic prose never attempted never before him nor by Homer, Ovid...
That man has enough vanity to say something so daring !

>> No.19230106
File: 22 KB, 336x499, Wagner's Beethoven (1870).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]

>>19226091
>references to Milton in Wagner's Beethoven essay suggest at least a familiarity with the epic poems Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained. Cosima records a "conversation on all kinds of things in the morning: Dante’s and Milton’s Satan; Doré’s illustrations (which R. much admires)" (CD, 25 July 1879). There are intriguing parallels to be drawn between Milton’s Satan in Paradise Lost and Wagner’s Klingsor in Parsifal: both are exiles through expulsion from Heaven and the Domain of the Grail respectively; both exercise their corrupting power by means of a beautiful woman.

>'"This day ye shall be with me in paradise" – who has not heard this word of our Saviour calling him when he listened to the Pastoral Symphony?'

>'It is quite apparent that the words of Schiller were later added and set by Beethoven with little skill and in a makeshift fashion to the real main theme; for this melody is first developed in all its breadth by instruments alone, fillng us with the inexpressible joy of Paradise regained.'

>'Beethoven’s symphonies had already (as it were with non-conceptual sound) stirred in the depths what our thinkers and our poets had only dimly discerned: they understood, just as we do, the new religion, the world-redeeming proclamation of sublime innocence.'

>from Parsifal 'das merkt nun Halm und Blume auf den Auen, dass heut des Menschen Fuss sie nicht zertritt, doch wohl, wie Gott mit himmlischer Geduld sich sein erbarmt' und für ihn litt, der Mensch auch heut in frommer Huld sie schont mit sanftem Schritt. Das dankt dann alle Kreatur, was all' da blüht und bald erstirbt, da die entsündigte Natur heut ihren Unschuldstag erwirbt.'

https://youtu.be/dzeNnoMmsjM?t=13122

>> No.19230880

>>19229980
It's a reference to Orlando Furioso, itself a joke about other poets.