[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 6 KB, 193x262, Download (1).jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
19124175 No.19124175 [Reply] [Original]

I struggle a bit with the concept of amor fati.

I am satisfied with the way my life turned out, I don't really regret anything and I cherish that my individuality is a culmination of my past, if you changed something I wouldn't be me anymore. But this doesn't hold up when I take situations where I treated others badly, I damaged them and can't justify it with the sams rationalization.

Another thing is, if like a genie came up to me and offered me the chance to change something in my past, I would probably take this chance

>> No.19124186

>>19124175
It's an ideal, not an achievable standard. The stoics believed the same thing and they never achieved it completely either.

>> No.19124194

>>19124175
You are a dog tied to a rolling cart. You can either trot alongside (amor fati) or be dragged. Destination is the same.

>> No.19124301

>>19124175
Every moment in time and space is connected. If you cherish some moments in your past and not others, you're neglecting to acknowledge this connection. To affirm all joy as honestly and genuinely as possible, you have to also affirm all suffering.

>> No.19124430

>>19124301
yes but how can you apply this to others you dicknozzle. If I follow that logic I could treat others like shit, but it's alright because yin and yang

>> No.19124437

>>19124430
You could, but will you?

>> No.19124479

>>19124430
>If I follow that logic I could treat others like shit
Yes, and treating others like shit may even be necessary in order for your life and possibly even theirs to be enjoyable in the future, because again, it's all connected.

>> No.19124571

>>19124175
>But this doesn't hold up when I take situations where I treated others badly, I damaged them and can't justify it with the sams rationalization.
Well, yes. On the one hand if the harms you made on those people were not passively reactive, that is, out of resentment, then this feeling of guilt would only be a gregariousness mentality parasitizing your genuine, natural blind impulses and turning them against yourself. On the other, if you feel bad for having acted passively, badly because of, not in spite of, a reactive force, then it is a pertinent ''regret'' but that will/should ultimately serve as a chastisement in order to act properly in the future.

>>19124430
>>19124479
I have been thinking this lately. I believe you need to be prepared and strong to assume a meek, gentle disposition, a calmness in actions that do not disturb others even if the other people you engage with are inferior, annoying, superficial, crass, slavish. For in the end, a saintly disposition like this will be immune to any reactive, resentful behavior and will, as Nietzsche himself says, just turn around from these people, avoid looking at them. Either a fine, noble contempt or a painful scourge: these are the two options one should assume. In the end both will demand a lot of work.

>> No.19124641

>>19124571
no offense but you use convoluted language to express ideas that aren't complicated, that was hard for me to understand as ESL