[ 3 / biz / cgl / ck / diy / fa / ic / jp / lit / sci / vr / vt ] [ index / top / reports ] [ become a patron ] [ status ]
2023-11: Warosu is now out of extended maintenance.

/lit/ - Literature

View post   

File: 1.08 MB, 1696x2560, A1u+2fY5yTL.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR] No.18842283 [Reply] [Original]

>Dune: The Spice is the most valuable resource of the universe because it prolongs life
>Dune Messiah: Ackchually you can just resurrect dead people by putting them in an axolotl tank
>Children of Dune: Ackchually you can just become immortal by changing your enzymes using Bene Gesserit techniques
>God Emperor of Dune: Ackchually you can just live 4000 years by putting sandtrout on your skin
Why was the spice so valuable given that there are all these other methods to live way longer?

>> No.18842316

>>18842283
This isn't reddit.

>> No.18842341

>>18842283
>axolotl
didn't "reccreate" the person until duncan/hayt proved you could reawaken memories
also the tleilaxu are loathed, see the aversion to their eye replacements
>bene gesserit
very exclusive training and iirc it doesnt make you immortal just rejuvenates you
also you'd probably get gom jabbar'd for being an animal afraid of death
>sandtrout
required a shit ton of spice in leto's blood and isnt exactly "immortality" as you begin to sandworm yourself
also the spice was valuable because of its use in navigation, the geriatric and health benefits were just what made it valuable to the normies

>> No.18842382

>>18842283
>Dune: The Spice is the most valuable resource of the universe because it prolongs life
It was valuable for a number of reasons including prescience and space travel navigation.

>God Emperor of Dune: Ackchually you can just live 4000 years by putting sandtrout on your skin
The sandtrouts are directly related to the spice and Leto became the thing that produces it in the first place.

>> No.18842733

>>18842283
the spice caused all of those events to transpire.

>> No.18842884

>>18842341
>also the tleilaxu are loathed, see the aversion to their eye replacements
Why do they have to replace the eyes though. They can recreate the entire body except for the eyes?

>> No.18842890

>>18842283
I have read only the first book and I felt like it said everything it had to say, so I will never read the sequels.

>> No.18843145

>>18842884
No, Hayt/Duncan had artificial eyes because the tleilaxu felt like putting them in, possibly in a play to give him an uncanny valley appearance to Paul and the fremen though it could just be they got bored and added them for shits and giggles

>> No.18844584

How are the last 2 books?

I am midway through God-Emperor

>> No.18844762

>>18844584
Honestly bro I finished dune and I'm right at the beginning of Messiah after Hate is introduced and how can you continue this shot sucks so bad compared to OG Dune

>> No.18844784
File: 1022 KB, 1144x2560, 1499304881724.jpg [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>18844762
Not >>18844584 but I thought messiah was a great addition to Dune and should be read by people who didn't quite enjoy the ending of dune but enjoyed the overall feeling it got them.

>> No.18844806

>>18844762
Even OG dune is a fucking snore fest. I don't understand the hype.

>> No.18844813

>>18842283
>>Dune: The Spice is the most valuable resource of the universe because it prolongs life
it's also a drug that gives pleasure and is addictive, and most importantly is needed for prescience and space travel. The life-extension is treated as a positive side-effect, the real value of it is the foreknowledge it gives you
which the book makes extremely clear, brainlet
>>Dune Messiah: Ackchually you can just resurrect dead people by putting them in an axolotl tank
not in the same way, it brings back a copy of them with subtle differences and no memory of their past self, unless they undergo extreme trauma that awakens their ancestral memory in the presence of spice (hey see there's spice being important again). Regardless, the person is not the same as they once were, even awakened, they're still a new person, just in a cloned body with the same memories.
>>Children of Dune: Ackchually you can just become immortal by changing your enzymes using Bene Gesserit techniques
not immortal, just long-lived, which is not particularly valuable in context once you get deep in Bene Gesserit philosophy, which you have to do to achieve such long life
10,000 years is still just a grain of sand in scale to the life of humankind, which is itself just a grain of sand in scale to the life of the universe. The Bene Gesserit grasp this well and so understand their life extension is still meaningless short, you clearly do not
>>God Emperor of Dune: Ackchually you can just live 4000 years by putting sandtrout on your skin
and sacrificing your humanity, in a secret technique that only the Kwisatz Haderach could even be aware of. Which means that such an option is only available to one of the noble lineages with strong spice influence for several thousand years, and even then you'd need to be a rarity among the noble lineage, in that you'd have to be willing to give up everything you have to gain such life
and again, that is still meaninglessly short in scale to the timeline, which you would be painfully aware of in that scenario
And of course spice is still extremely necessary at every stage of that process

>why is spice valuable
for all of the above reasons, and because it can only come from one (two, in the later books) planets, and is the end result of an extremely delicate and complex ecosystem's life cycle, meaning it can't be replicated or mass produced.

But you knew all this, since no one is this retarded. This is just a bait thread to get people to talk about Dune, which I'm fine with, because it's an interesting series

>> No.18844814

>>18844806
Yes and no a little bit before the time skip (we practically skip a whole war lmao) I thought it was an interesting political war kinda like what I imagine Song of Fire and Snow I imagine they are (haven't read them)

>> No.18844834

>>18844814
ASOIAF had me reading thousands of pages without stop. I got a couple hundred pages into Dune before giving up, when they were having the big banquet on Arrakis. Asoiaf has similar political war going on, yes. But things happen at a better pace if you ask me.

>> No.18845384

>>18842283
Why didn't he reveal where the worms come from bros? Why didn't he at least have notes to explain what the Krelizac really was? Why do idiots keep buying his son's (probably all that other author) shit work? Why dunebros?

>> No.18845643

>>18844762
I didn't like Messiah, but really liked the one after

>> No.18845723
File: 415 KB, 1068x601, gigafremen.png [View same] [iqdb] [saucenao] [google]
[ERROR]

>>18844813
>This is just a bait thread to get people to talk about Dune, which I'm fine with, because it's an interesting series

The only type of bait thread I enjoy

>> No.18846793

>>18844584
they're okay
they do tend to drag on quite a bit and the climaxes are incredibly short for all the build up that was done
I would say read them but you don't have to read them as closely as god emperor or you'll just get muddled with Herbert's mediocre scene setting

>> No.18846984

>>18844784
im interested in the machine crusade and butlerian jihad books. Im almost done with chapter house. are they really so bad? i get most those books are definitely trash but was hoping those two might be decent.

>> No.18847392

>>18846984
I haven't read any of Brian's books but looking at the sheer amount and the amount of hate they are getting I think it would be safer to just create your own fan fiction at that point

>> No.18847720

>>18842341
The test of the gom jabbar made you face fear and pain to avoid death; to face it and overcome it for a chance at retribution. It didn't imply that true humans don't fear death.

>> No.18847734

wasn't Herbert Jewish?
that's why

>> No.18848124

>>18847720
gom jabbar tested for humanity
arguably someone who feared death so much that they sought immortality would be viewed as an animal by the bene gesserit
examples I can think of is the BG's comments on death in their interactions with the Honored Matres and also a deleted chapter from Messiah where Irulan calls Paul's suicide a childish move but Mohiam corrects her and says Paul spent his life like any other currency to secure his place

>> No.18848218

>>18848124
If the point of the test was to not fear death, it would not be a poison needle and a box set up to endure pain in order to avoid death. Mohiam even spells it out to Paul. I don't see how waht she said about Paul's actions infer about not fearing death. It simply means she believes it wasn't the act of a child based on minor impetus, rather that it was a calculated move.

>> No.18848264

>>18848218
the OP was about immortality
I pointed out that the BG don't have immortality and even if they did immortality would not be accepted by them

>> No.18848924

>>18845384
D-Dunebros?

>> No.18848951

>>18847734
No he was white